TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #3091
bkdtv

Maybe we could move off-topic posts to PM?

This thread is meant specifically for discussion of expansion and upgrades. It makes it harder for people to find answers when there's discussion unrelated to that topic.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #3092
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Maybe we could move off-topic posts to PM?

This thread is meant specifically for discussion of expansion and upgrades. It makes it harder for people to find answers when there's discussion unrelated to that topic.
Yup, sorry, I know better.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:14 AM   #3093
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
OH, I am not sure...although a good friend who worked for me at FJ in Hillsboro, and now is at Sun lives in LO. We used to go out on his boat, too.

MPSAN...aka Dave
Small world. But not small enough...just passing ships in the night I guess. Always glad to meet someone that owns a boat though.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #3094
Ckought

How to install a second hard drive in a TiVoHD

How to install a second hard drive inside a TiVoHD.

I will skip the parts about removing the current hard drive from the TiVo and using WinMFS to configure and join the two drives; both are covered in other places. This will focus on the hardware aspect of installing a second hard drive inside the TiVoHD.

I got the idea from a previous poster that used screws and washers on the bottoms of the drives. This is all the same concept; it just looks cleaner (and may be somewhat more durable). I haven’t tried it, but once the two drives are attached I wouldn’t think that that anything short of beating them with a hammer would break them apart.

Parts list (see photo 1):
2 SATA cables
1 SATA power splitter cable
1 6/32 bolt, long enough to cut into 2 smaller pieces
1 Torx T10 Screwdriver
1 Multi-purpose cutter/stripper (with 6/32 bolt cutter)
1 Needle-nose pliers

Step 1: Cut two pieces off the bolt (see photo 2). You’ll need to look at your hard drives to determine the lengths needed since pretty much every drive model is different. One should be short enough to be able to be screwed into one of the drives until it’s flush with the outside of the drive. The second one should be long enough to bottom-out in the drive and still have about a ¼-inch sticking out (see photos 3).

Step 2: Use pliers to screw the two bolts into place. One should be flush with the outer wall of the drive and one should be sticking out (see photo 4).

Step 3: Screw the bolt that is sticking out of the first drive into the second drive by turning the drives counter to each other until they are tight against each other (see photo 5).

Step 4: Use the pliers to turn the other bolt so that it threads into the second hard drive (see photo 6).

Step 5: Mount the drive back onto the TiVo bracket (see photo 7). Mount the bracket back into the TiVo (see photo 8). Attach all cables (see photo 9).

I realize that this is not very in-depth and expects the user to have a familiarity with the equipment, but I figure if you don’t then you shouldn’t be opening the case in the first place.

Everyone should feel free to correct, expand, or improve this how-to.
Ckought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #3095
Ckought

Photos 1 - 5

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Last edited by Ckought : 06-24-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #3096
drhankz

Ckought

None of your photos are showing up for me unless I copy
and past the Photo Link into a sperate browser window.

None of your links end with a .jpg - I think these bulletin
boards will only display photos if the files is a real JPG File
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #3097
Ckought

Photos 6 - 9

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

Photo 9

Old 06-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #3098
Ckought

BTW -- I upgraded all four of my TiVoHDs this way with no problem.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #3099
moxie1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckought View Post
I was expecting double sided tape or the good stuff, duct tape, but this is very professional. Good job.

How did it effect the internal temperature of the Tivo with both drives in place?
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #3100
Ckought

I don't know what the normal temp is (I did this as soon as I got them), but they're running at 40C - 50C (depending on the ambient temp).
Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #3101
moxie1617

My S3 runs at 46-47 with ambient temp of 73f. So 40-50 sounds good. My old S1 DirecTivo has been running at 53-56 for the past 5 years.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #3102
drhankz

Quote:
Photos 6 - 9
There we GO - PRETTY Pictures
Old 06-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #3103
richsadams

Quote:

<snip>
Nice job...thanks for that. It reminds me of my old Series1 days...but a little more elegant. Well done.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #3104
Ckought

Thanks everyone for the nice words. You should've seen the look on my wife's face when I was laying it all out on the coffee table and taking pictures as I did it. It was one of those "God, you're a geek sometimes" looks.

I knew I wanted to put a second internal drive in my TiVoHDs; I didn’t want the extra cable, power cord, or box sitting by the TV. So when I looked around on the site and saw how someone else did it, I knew it could be done – but using the screws and washers (although probably quite study) looked precarious. I thought about it for a couple days, but everything I came up with was too complicated (modifying PC drive brackets and stuff like that). Then it just kinda hit me – if the TiVoHD drive bracket attached to the bottom of the drive, then why not just screw the two drives directly together using the side holes? Of course, my first thoughts on that were getting complicated too (fabricating bolts with opposite direction threads on each end). Eventually, through necessity (I couldn’t fabricate brackets or custom bolts and I couldn’t afford to have it done . . . and I wanted something that anyone else could do themselves) I came up with something that would work using common parts that could be found at any hardware store.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #3105
drhankz

Quote:

I knew I wanted to put a second internal drive in my TiVoHDs; I didn’t want the extra cable, power cord, or box sitting by the TV.
How about when you have a Purpose Built Theater and RACK Mount
Equipment. Having Two Internal Drives is a GOOD THING. Thanks
for the Photos.

I'm a fan of Internal Versus External = Thanks Again Ckought
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR13_jpg.jpg (67.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by drhankz : 06-24-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #3106
markj911

2TB single drive series 3

Western Digital has a new 2TB SATA drive that I have installed into my Series 3. I forced a service update to the latest rev and it still does not recognize the full storage limit. Is Tivo just slow in updating their OS for the new size drive?
markj911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:07 AM   #3107
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj911 View Post
Western Digital has a new 2TB SATA drive that I have installed into my Series 3. I forced a service update to the latest rev and it still does not recognize the full storage limit. Is Tivo just slow in updating their OS for the new size drive?
I guess you did not read the FAQ in he first post? ;(

Section V, FAQ #5:

Quote:
What is the largest drive I can use for an internal upgrade?

Credit to spike -- the author of WinMFS -- for clarifying this subject.

With latest version of WinMFS, the maximum capacity allowed for the internal TiVo drive is 1.1 TB (1.0 TiB) plus the capacity of the original drive. Older tools cannot support drives larger than 1.1 TB.

Code:
              Model Number    Maximum Usable Drive Size*
Tivo HD       TCD652160       1.26 TB (1260 GB)
Tivo HD XL    TCD658000       2.10 TB (2100 GB)
TiVo Series3  TCD648250B      1.35 TB (1350 GB)

* Drives with capacities larger than 1.1 TB are only supported when the latest version
  of WinMFS is used.  If you are using tools or a method other than those described below,
  then your drive must be 1.1 TB or smaller.
If you were to replace the built-in TiVo drive with a 2.0 TB drive, the full 2.0 TB would be usable on a TivoHD XL, but only 1.26 TB would be usable on the TivoHD.

Most with the TivoHD and TiVo Series3 opt to buy 1.0 TB drives, which provide a capacity of 157 HD hours.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #3108
jlib
Lean Forward

So, if I have an already upgraded to 1TB S3 and wanted the very maximum capacity without going to a second (eSATA connected) drive I could use a 1.5GB drive for a second upgrade and WinMFS would automatically partition the new drive to the maximum from that chart (losing the balance of the 1.5TB)? And I could do this using current 1TB drive as source and not resorting to original drive, right?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #3109
richsadams

Wd 1tb Wd10eads $79.99

Noted that Newegg has the 1TB Western Digital WD10EADS on sale for $89.99. Use the $10 coupon code EMCLTNS34 and it's $79.99 w/free shipping.

Note that this drive will NOT work as an internal hard drive upgrade for Series3's (due to a soft reboot issue), but will work as an internal hard drive upgrade with TiVo HD's or as an eSATA drive for either model.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #3110
MPSAN

Quote:
I forgot to ask...did you see my idea in my post #3073 about a Hot Link Index for the Section Topics?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #3111
bkdtv

Quote:
I forgot to ask...did you see my idea in my post #3073 about a Hot Link Index for the Section Topics?
TiVoCommunity does not support any form of in-post linking, so what you ask is not possible. I agree that such a capability is highly desirable on a forum, as it significantly improves the usability of FAQs. You can request that that feature right here.

For others that don't know what I am talking about, you can see this post as an example. Note how the links at the top of the page "jump" to different sections. That is a feature that many would like to have on TCF.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #3112
MPSAN

Quote:
TiVoCommunity does not support any form of in-post linking, so what you ask is not possible. I agree that such a capability is highly desirable on a forum, as it significantly improves the usability of FAQs. You can request that that feature right here.

For others that don't know what I am talking about, you can see this post as an example. Note how the links at the top of the page "jump" to different sections. That is a feature that many would like to have on TCF.
OK, I will send the suggestion.

P.S. My 3 TiVoHD units came from UPS 5 Minutes ago, but I did not upgrade them yet! !
Old 06-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #3113
richsadams

Quote:
OK, I will send the suggestion.

P.S. My 3 TiVoHD units came from UPS 5 Minutes ago, but I did not upgrade them yet! !
It's a common HTML markup called "Anchors". I don't know that this version of the PHP forum program is capable of using them though (I suspect not), but a good idea.

It's Christmas in July! Um, June! Have fun opening your prezzies!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #3114
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
It's a common HTML markup called "Anchors". I don't know that this version of the PHP forum program is capable of using them though (I suspect not), but a good idea.

It's Christmas in July! Um, June! Have fun opening your prezzies!
OK...they missed my Birthday by 1 day. I will upgrade soon. Still not sure if the WD 1TB EVVS is just as good as the EVCS, but the EVVS, now, is a lot less $$$ than the EVCS. I assume the EVVS is 16 MB buffer which I guess is OK.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #3115
richsadams

Quote:
Still not sure if the WD 1TB EVVS is just as good as the EVCS, but the EVVS, now, is a lot less $$$ than the EVCS. I assume the EVVS is 16 MB buffer which I guess is OK.
Just as good. The OEM hard drives only have 2MB of cache (which I've theorized may be the root of some problems, but that's neither here nor there) and TiVo can't or doesn't utilize much more anyway. 16MB's or even 32MB's of cache is overkill and unnecessary.

So enjoy and happy upgrading when you get to it!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #3116
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Just as good. The OEM hard drives only have 2MB of cache (which I've theorized may be the root of some problems, but that's neither here nor there) and TiVo can't or doesn't utilize much more anyway. 16MB's or even 32MB's of cache is overkill and unnecessary.

So enjoy and happy upgrading when you get to it!
Thanks Rich. I have seen the WD10EVVS advertised at 8MB and 16MB of cache buffer. However I do believe that it is 16MB. At any rate, they should be at the $90 level...need my TiVo to get the new ver 11 software and Cable Cards...then I will order one drive!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #3117
jlib
Lean Forward

Rich meant to type 8MB for the WD10EVVS.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #3118
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Thanks Rich. I have seen the WD10EVVS advertised at 8MB and 16MB of cache buffer. However I do believe that it is 16MB.
There is no 16MB cache WD10EVVS. Go to the source.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #3119
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
There is no 16MB cache WD10EVVS. Go to the source.
Provantage, ZipZoomFly, Buy.com and Memory4less claim 16MB. At any rate, 8 should be enough.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #3120
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Provantage, ZipZoomFly, Buy.com and Memory4less claim 16MB....
They also claim 7200rpm.
But yes, you are right, 8MB is fine. It is what TiVo specs on their newest HD XL model.