TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #601
modular46

It's been a month and a half since I removed the attenuators in favor of the adjustable radio shack device. What's great about the RS device is that you can slowly decrease the attenuation and monitor the results. I was able to get 0 pixilation with the SNR down to 29-30 and the signal level about 45-48. What's weird is thaht I'm getting uncorrected errors still but they have dropped significantly and I see no picture issues what so ever. I've been picture clear for 3 full weeks. I've watched a varied to channel frequencies and the biggest problems I was getting was on VH1 classic and Noggin. I record a ton of shows for my daughter and I would get major hits and pixelation with 13 db of attenuators on a SNR of 33-34 and a signal of about 55.

What's really weird is that I tried more attenuators and it didn't improve the picture but adding the RS device really has worked. Like I mentioned, I see absolutely no picture issues now, and its been all good for 3 plus weeks.

I wanted to post this because I was really close to giving up the TIVO and going back to the POS Verizon boxes. For those that put attenuators on their lines, saw an improvement but still see issues from time to time try to find one of the Radio Shack boxes.

Dave King
modular46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #602
GmanTiVo
give me more options

^^ Dave,

Can you kindly provide me the RS model # (or item name), I have been i 2 different stores and salesmen are unable to find it.

Thank you in advance

Gianmarco
Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #603
richsadams

I think this is what Dave is referring to (although he may have a newer model)...

I believe it was Radio Shack part number 15-678 but I'm pretty sure they discontinued making it several years ago. I used to use the one I have to attenuate the red push on an old Mitsubishi rear projection TV I once had.

Maybe the picture will help, but I'm pretty sure they don't make them any more. Perhaps Dave has a source?

Best of luck and let us know how things go.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #604
mae

alternative variable attenuator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
^^ Dave,

Can you kindly provide me the RS model # (or item name), I have been i 2 different stores and salesmen are unable to find it.

Thank you in advance

Gianmarco
Here's a link to an $11.95 alternative I bought (but since I had it, didn't need it) . It looks about the same.

Mark

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...IRECT-/30-2118
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30-2118.jpg (9.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by mae : 06-09-2009 at 03:10 PM.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #605
GmanTiVo
give me more options

^^ thank you

I hear there is a possible software upgrade being beta tested that may indeed put to rest this issue but the amount of pixellation I'm having is varying day to day and adding/removing static attenuators is becoming old fast, a variable one will allow me to dail in the correct attenuation on a per need basis (per channel)

Gman
Old 06-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #606
ah30k

Variable attenuators are great as long as you can program your TiVo to reach out and dial it in every time it needs to record a show!

Seriously, this is getting on my nerves in a big way. The fact that I am getting serious pixelation on one of my more commonly watched HD channels amplifies the problem.

Something has to change; either my service provider or my DVR. TiVo and FIOS are clearly incompatible in my case. I am torn over which one should change!
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #607
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
I hear there is a possible software upgrade being beta tested that may indeed put to rest this issue
Where did you hear this -- I have avoided upgrading my S2DT and changing from Charter to Fios because of the pixelation issue, and would love it if this was true!
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #608
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
Where did you hear this -- I have avoided upgrading my S2DT and changing from Charter to Fios because of the pixelation issue, and would love it if this was true!
If it's true, the only people who could verify it would be inside the beta or TiVo employees -- both of whom are bound by a non-disclosure agreements concerning such things.

The first rule of Beta Club is you do not talk about Beta Club...
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #609
richsadams

Quote:
Trust us for now (or not). If/when there is a fix word will get around very quickly and you can upgrade to HD. Mind you...you will never be able to go back.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #610
Thos19

Indeed, no talking about Fight Club !

Thos.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #611
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Trust us for now (or not).
In Rich I trust.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 AM   #612
richsadams

Quote:
In Rich I trust.
Be afraid...be very afraid.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #613
Ziggy86

Quote:
Be afraid...be very afraid.
Rich,

So you have FIos and Tivo now.

Are you happy you switched? Any pixellation issues?
Ziggy86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #614
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
If it's true, the only people who could verify it would be inside the beta or TiVo employees -- both of whom are bound by a non-disclosure agreements concerning such things.

The first rule of Beta Club is you do not talk about Beta Club...
What Beta Club? I know nuthin' 'bout Beta Club. Forgeddabout it, no such thing as Beta Club

disclaimer.... I am in no way affiliated with Beta Club, Tivo and or its affiliates.... damn, don't want my kneecaps popped
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #615
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Trust us for now (or not). If/when there is a fix word will get around very quickly and you can upgrade to HD. Mind you...you will never be able to go back.
..... After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill -- the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the upgrade fix -- you stay in Wonderland and I show you how good the Tivo-FIOS goes."

Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #616
modular46

Quote:
^^ Dave,

Thank you in advance

Gianmarco
The one I have is 15-678, you can't get it at radio shack anymore you have to get it from EBAY.

I'm still free of any pixilation. I set it and forget it about it now. It doesn't have to be adjusted after it's dialed in.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #617
modular46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
Variable attenuators are great as long as you can program your TiVo to reach out and dial it in every time it needs to record a show!

!
What are you talking about? Once the attenuator is set its set, no adjustments are needed.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #618
ah30k

I thought different channels needed different attenuation?
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #619
Deanq4
TiVo Lover!

What really gets me is that for the longest time I was ok, TNTHD went out and is horrible now. i got one of the RS units but it only helps a little. Really getting annoying.

If Verizon gets bad when they switch owners, I am gone.

Live music is better! It's all one song!
Deanq4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #620
modular46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
I thought different channels needed different attenuation?
The FIOS signal is so strong that in some frequency ranges you need to attenuate the signal. I have found that tuning to the worst channel works well as it doesn't affect the other channels.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #621
modular46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanq4 View Post
What really gets me is that for the longest time I was ok, TNTHD went out and is horrible now. i got one of the RS units but it only helps a little. Really getting annoying.

If Verizon gets bad when they switch owners, I am gone.
Have you monitored the data from the channel? What is the SNR for the channel? What are the uncorrected errors you are seeing after keeping the channel on the tuner for at least 6 hours?

From my experience I found that the RS unit needs to be almost fully clockwise. You need to get a baseline, monitor the data, and then keep slightly adjusting the attenuation in steps. You need to make a change, record the data, and then monitor the channel. If you still still pixelation keep adding more attenuation.

I didn't see much improvement instantly but I did it in baby steps to see what my worst channels needed. You just can't adjust the dial and watch the pixelations, you need to do like I mention, you should see an improvemment. I do not see any pixelation on any channel on 2 different Tivo receivers. One is a Series 3 HD, and the other is the giant HD hard drive unit.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #622
blacksnakeball

Please Help

I am one of those unfortunate FIOS hot signal guys. My new Tivo HD XL just doesn't seem to like the FIOS signal. I have been on this board and the Tivo forum and got some great advice on numerous occasions from bfdtv and others. I have tried a low pass filter and many different combinations of attenuators. I have tried the Radio Shack dial attenuator. But my signal issues have gotten worse over the past month.

I want to love Tivo. I was an early adopter with Replay TV and would still own that box if it could record HD. I spent years with a SA 8300 HD Explorer with Time Warner Cable in Manhattan but I could not pass up the speed and price of FIOS and hate TWC anyway. I started with the crappy Motos from Verizon and had overheating issues and hard drive failure within 2 weeks on my first box. I did some research here and fell in love with Tivo and bought the XL on April 25th.

From day one I have tried the signal fix and I have spent quite a bit of time with VZ at my home (they ave been pretty good about trying to fix on their end) I have also let Tivo know since day one that I am experiencing signal issues.

I met a guy on the Tivo boards who told me he was in a beta program and that a patch was imminent but could not tell me anymore. He said dont waste time with VZ coming to your apartment with any more attenuator crap- there will be a patch.

Based on that info and the totally random nature of my signal issues I have decided to try and wait it out as long as I can before my wife and daughter turn on me. The signal seems to go hot whenever we switch to a channel that is important to us. For me it is SNY in NYC -the Mets channel. I cannot watch a game anymore! My wife has issues with HBO and my daughter's kiddie shows seem to have to problem too. Sometimes the pixellation will be heavy for 10 minutes and then dissipate. Other times I can get a week straight of rock solid picture but lately it has been consistently bad. When it is bad the SNR fluctuates from 37-29 and the signal strength goes from 100-45. The RS uncorrected have been appearing more and more on channels we did not see them on before.

A few weeks into my trial month I called to complain to Tivo and they waived my monthly charge. A few weeks into my second month I called to complain but had to take it up to the next level of CS to get them to give me another month credit. I actually agreed to cancel my service because i was so upset with them. It is set to expire in 3 days.

Still I delay any decisions because I want to believe this can be fixed. I decided I had 3 options. Do nothing and hope that the beta fix comes in soon (yes i have registered for the beta and have begged Tivo to bring me in but their CS people are clueless) Secondly, I though maybe a new cable card from VZ might solve my problems and third I thought perhaps a new box from Tivo might work. Obviously there are people with Tivo and FIOS who are enjoying cable TV - I want to be THAT guy. Anyone think a new card or box might do the trick?

If I can't solve this problem soon I want to return the unit and get my MONEY back. I called J&R Music World where I purchased the box in April and they said any return after 30 days must go through manufacturer. I called Tivo today to find out their return and/or replacement policy and got into a huge pissing match. Basically there L2 tech support rep told me that since it is over 30 days I cannot return the box under any circumstances!!! He says it is a FIOS problem and I waited more than 30 days! He says that since by canceling my monthly service a few weeks ago that somehow this precludes me from pursuing a return or replacement. He says I cannot even get a refurb at cost to me. WTF???

I know I am getting bad info and I am livid. I would consider swapping out the box but I do not want a refurb and do not want to pay anything for shipping. The Tivo L2 guy says I cannot swap or even make a return because there is nothing wrong with the box and it is past 30 days. I asked him how he did not know it was a hard drive issue and even though all signs point to signal problem how can they rule out hardware issues. He said it did not matter I am stuck with this 2 month old box and can only sell it on ebay!

Of course now I just want to return this box and recoup my $5oo+ that I shelled out for it in April. Perhaps I will wait tilll there is a FIOS fix or perhaps I will never buy a Tivo again!

But how would any of you proceed? Are there some corporate people at Tivo that will listen to reason? I went from being a Tivo evangelical to a Tivo hater in one 20 minute phone call.

They have a known issue and yet do not inform consumers that they might experience signal issue with a major provider of HD content? I got the sense that they also know they have problems in Manhattan but of course cannot prove it. What about my 90 day warranty? All I know is the box doesn't work with my cable provider.

Thoughts? Sorry to ramble on but I am spitting blood
blacksnakeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #623
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Not all FIOS customers experience the same level of pixelation. That said, we have been testing a fix for some time that has provided extremely significant improvement for all testers. The SW release carrying this is coming very soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #624
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Not all FIOS customers experience the same level of pixelation. That said, we have been testing a fix for some time that has provided extremely significant improvement for all testers. The SW release carrying this is coming very soon.
That's good news for a lot of us. Without betraying your grillmaster oath, is this something that would get rolled into a general release or would it need to be specially requested/deployed?

Thanks again for your continued support, Jerry.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #625
mae

Exclamation Fixing what isn't broken..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Jerry,

Has this been tested on systems that are on FIOS but don't have any issues?

I'd hate for this to break what has been working perfectly since my install.

Thanks.

Mark
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #626
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
Since Jerry seems to be breaking the code of silence a bit...

Yes, it's been tested on "working perfectly" FiOS systems.
Please keep in mind that just because I make a statement as a representative of the company, it does not mean that allows anyone to break their NDA, even after the update is rolled to the public.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #627
dmeleedy

I am completely at wits end. If there is a way to beta fix this test,
then please sign me up!

I have tried every attenuator I can get my hands on. Added a diplexer.
I have patiently tried to minimize the pixelation, and nothing works.
I can't wait for this fix!!

I've been a tivo user from very near the beginning, and don't want to give it up...

Last edited by dmeleedy : 06-25-2009 at 01:30 PM.
dmeleedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #628
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeleedy View Post
I am completely at wits end. If there is a way to beta fix this test,
then please sign me up!

I have tried every attenuator I can get my hands on. Added a diplexer.
I have patiently tried to minimize the pixelation, and nothing works.
I can't wait for this fix!!

I've been a tivo user from very near the beginning, and don't want to give it up...
You can volunteer for beta testing at fieldtrials.tivo.com
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #629
dmeleedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
You can volunteer for beta testing at fieldtrials.tivo.com
That site appeared to only have a login box, with no way to create
an account.
dmeleedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #630
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeleedy View Post
That site appeared to only have a login box, with no way to create
an account.
Use this link from the Using TiVo FAQ in my signature.

Use the same account name on that site that you do here, so TiVo can recognize you.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote