TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #3001
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhicking View Post
Just wanted to thank TiVo Community for this thread - upgraded my TiVo HD to the 1gb EVVS Western Digital drive, WinMFS worked flawlessly (and surprisingly fast)!
Welcome to the club!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #3002
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
PS - found the VVS drive at Wiredzone.com for $92.15 and free shipping.
Nice find. I've never dealt with wiredzone.com. Let us know how their service is, etc...along with how your upgrade goes of course!

P.S. The "appropriate" acronym for a hard drive is "HDD" (hard disk drive), but I've done the very same thing as well. It gets confusing and my brain hurts sometimes.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #3003
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnalexandra View Post
...I wondered if it would be easier for me to just buy the instantcake cd and not have to get the information from my original Tivo hard drive....
Instant Cake is intended for situations where your original hardrive has catastrophically failed and you have no backup. It is just a way to get the TiVo system back on a new harddrive. It is not really any easier to use. It is just for a different purpose. You lose all current recordings and you have to have your cable cards reinstalled. I leave it to you to determine if cable card installation is a smooth operation with your particular cable company. It is always good to have that option to rescue a drive but that is not your situation. You should never need Instant Cake because you will have your original TiVo drive safely on a shelf with a backup of your system at the time of upgrade.

The reason we are encouraging you to go on is because it really is easy. OK, do this. Download and install the WinMFS sofware as linked in the first post. If you can get that far then you can continue. If you can't do that easily then it is time to look at alternatives. In the meantime, what is the make and exact model of your computer? I can tell you what additional things you might need in advance so that you don't have to run down to a computer store to get a power cable for your harddrive in the middle of your upgrade.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #3004
jfstx

usb to sata cable

my samsung hdd 103ui 1 tb just went to grey screen after a reboot. It won't come back up. I've pulled it and want to hook it up to my computer via the usb to sata cables to run some tests. but when I do I can't get my computer to recognize it. My comp. is less than a year old with vista 64. Could use some advise. thx
jfstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #3005
lynnalexandra

Rich- you're great - thanks. How could I not post again. Now I can see links. Despite your sense that I might not be cut out for this diy, your last post actually encouraged me. Knowing that the things that scared me off from the dvrupgrade site don't apply if I just follow the steps here and transfer the image from my original hard drive to a new internal hard drive and external drive. I actually think I can understand those instructions just fine. One small question - is there any advantage in transferring via esata cable to the inside of the pc vs. using an esata to usb cable?

Okay - maybe a second small question. Will the esata enclosure come with instructions for enclosing the external hard drive - or is it written somewhere on these forums?

The final clinchers for me to do this myself are that I will enjoy the accomplishment. And having to repair my cablecards and deal with comcast again is far more of a gamble than doing it myself and thereby preserving the pairing on my new copied drive.

Thanks.
Lynn.:
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #3006
richsadams

Quote:
Rich- you're great - thanks. How could I not post again. Now I can see links. Despite your sense that I might not be cut out for this diy, your last post actually encouraged me. Knowing that the things that scared me off from the dvrupgrade site don't apply if I just follow the steps here and transfer the image from my original hard drive to a new internal hard drive and external drive. I actually think I can understand those instructions just fine. One small question - is there any advantage in transferring via esata cable to the inside of the pc vs. using an esata to usb cable?

Okay - maybe a second small question. Will the esata enclosure come with instructions for enclosing the external hard drive - or is it written somewhere on these forums?

The final clinchers for me to do this myself are that I will enjoy the accomplishment. And having to repair my cablecards and deal with comcast again is far more of a gamble than doing it myself and thereby preserving the pairing on my new copied drive.

Thanks.
Lynn.:
Atta Girl! Way to come through. It all sounds daunting at first, but if you just take it step-by-step...slice it into sections rather than look at it as a whole I'm sure you'll do fine. The first post has been refined numerous times by bkdtv and includes everything you can imagine to get the job done. The original author of winMFS, Spike, also runs a web site dedicated to TiVo upgrades (albeit a little more technically oriented), MFSLive.org. That's where you'll get a copy of the program. You'll need to register here and then download it. You could leave him a note of thanks as well...without his expertise all of this would not be possible.

I can't remember if you're trying to save your existing recordings. If you are then direct SATA connections are much faster. If you're just imaging a drive (see you're getting the lingo now ) a USB/eSATA adapter will do just fine...the files aren't really very big at all.

With regard to the eSATA enclosure it depends. Some come with nothing, others, like the Antec MX-1 (highly recommended) not only have instructions, they have a video which can be viewed here. (Aren't you glad you can see the links now?) Actually if you view that video it pretty much covers any enclosure. You open it up, connect the hard drive to the enclosure's bridge - the part that has the connectors and a few other chips and circuits on it - and close it up. It's very simple once you see one.

Again, take it slow, don't miss any steps and you'll be in gigabyte heaven in no time. Then I'd imagine you'll be building your own computers and showing that cousin of yours in California a thing or two.

Last edited by richsadams : 06-14-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:13 AM   #3007
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfstx View Post
my samsung hdd 103ui 1 tb just went to grey screen after a reboot. It won't come back up. I've pulled it and want to hook it up to my computer via the usb to sata cables to run some tests. but when I do I can't get my computer to recognize it. My comp. is less than a year old with vista 64. Could use some advise. thx
First, your computer should not recognize it because it's not formatted FAT32 or NTFS. You'll need to boot into a third party diagnostic program like WD's Lifeguard. Samsung probably has one of their own programs as well. Or there are programs you can buy such as SpinRite to test and repair hard drives. SpinRite costs about as much as a hard drive though so it's probably not worth purchasing unless you're going to be testing lots of hard drives.

One question...besides the USB/SATA adapter, are you also connecting power to the drive? That's one of those D'oh moments we all experience now and then. When you power up your computer is the drive spinning up? If it's powered and it's not spinning up you have an ex-drive. In any case, it may be time for an Samsung RMA.

Hope that helps, best of luck and let us know how things go.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #3008
jfstx

got the juice

Yes it is powered on. I'm really puzzled why it just quit. It ran for over 6 months and not a problem. I stuck the original drive back in. I also saved a copy of the tivo software on my laptop. I ordered a wd 1tb to replace it. When I go to copy the software from my laptop to the new drive do I just use winmfs and use copy? thanks for your help.
jfstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #3009
ccrider2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
This happens to me all the time if I don't visit this forum for awhile. I have a feeling there's something in the software that stops the auto emails if you haven't logged in for a specified period of time. Once I come back the emails come back. Same thing happens on the AVS forums. If for some reason I go back there, I start getting emails from old threads I am subscribed to that are still active.
Hm...that's odd...I don't think I've ever been more than a day or two late responding to en email alert.....I'm always reading my subscribed threads....I have no life.

The AVS Forum seems to want to send me multiple alerts on the same thread without me responding to any yet for the day....go figure.

Thanks For the Words,

Chris
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #3010
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfstx View Post
Yes it is powered on. I'm really puzzled why it just quit. It ran for over 6 months and not a problem. I stuck the original drive back in. I also saved a copy of the tivo software on my laptop. I ordered a wd 1tb to replace it. When I go to copy the software from my laptop to the new drive do I just use winmfs and use copy? thanks for your help.
Bummer. When you say quit, do you mean it no longer spins up or just doesn't work in your TiVo anymore? Whatever the case, guess it happens now and then. Both the 1TB WD's in our TiVo's are humming along nicely as is another 1TB WD that used to be in our Series3 and is now a computer backup drive. WD has come very, very long way from their dark days years ago IMO.

I have to confess that I've never used the backup (.bak file) on my computer as the data source for a new drive with winMFS. The last time I did that it was back in the command line Hinsdale dark ages. I've always used the original drive, following the instructions in (what is now) Section V, #18a or #18b in the first post of this thread. I understand that you'd use winMFS and the "restore" option to copy the files over. IIRC there are some anomalies when you do that though. I think you have to do a "clear and delete" to clean things up. Plus odd things happen like seeing a list of recordings that were on your drive at the time of the backup but only the titles are available, not the actual recordings (they can be cleared out). But AFAIK season passes, cable card info and other settings are still there. Perhaps bkdtv or someone that's done that can chime in? I'd like to know the details as well.

Best of luck!
Old 06-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #3011
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Nice find. I just ordered one - $69.99 w/coupon code incl. shipping - saahweet! I think back to the first WD 1TB a bunch of us bought for $259 from BB a couple of years ago...and we thought we really scored. And hey, I'm always up for a challenge!

I was looking for a good backup drive. So I'll go ahead and image this new Sammy and pop it into my TiVo HD, pull the WD10EVCS and use it for a backup drive for one of my Mac's if it works. I know the Spinpoints were problematic in TiVo's for some folks (soft reboot issue or just flaky IIRC) so if it doesn't work in the TiVo HD I'll just slip the WD back in and use the Sammy for a backup. Win-win!

I'm mucho busy the next couple of weeks but I'll post back ASAP.
Just a heads up with Samsung drives ordered from Newegg. I ordered two for a home server and while they worked for a couple of weeks they went belly up after that. They came shipped in blister packs inside a box with foam peanuts.

After that experience I'll never order another Samsung drive or another drive from Newegg. I don't know who's fault it was and don't care either, I would definately not use a drive from Newegg in a Tivo.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #3012
lynnalexandra

Hard to believe I'd have more questions - but I do. But only because I'm narrowing in on it now. I am going to get a new 1TB internal hard drive for my Tivo HD and want to get and configure an external 1TB drive at the same time. In pricing the components to build and configure an external 1TB drive for my Tivo HD, the cost for one of the 2 recommended Western Digital hard drives (WD10EVCS or WD10EVVS), the Antec MX-! enclosure and esata cable will come to about $160-170. How would using this combination compare to taking the Western Digital 1TB DVR expander and re-marrying it's hard drive to my about to be upgraded new internal hard drive. The DVR expander was $167 from Amazon. It has a 1TB drive, enclosure and cable included. I think I read that it doesn't have a fan but is somehow built to keep things cool and quiet without one. I'm inclined to think that if this is the Tivo supported external drive, that the cooling must be sufficient even without a fan.

Is there any reason not to use the DVR expander (which my mother is planning to give me on Tuesday - unless I decide I should put together my own components and return it). So I'm ready to order whatever hard drives, enclosures and cables I need - but don't know if there's any reason to get a 1TB WD10EVC or WD10EVVS, antec mx-1 enclosure and cable instead of just opening up the DVR expander and taking it's hard drive and marrying to my new upgraded internal drive.

Another question - do I use the same cable to connect the Tivo hard drives to my computer for imaging as I would later use to connect the Tivo to the external hard drive?

Thanks.
Lynn.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #3013
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
Just a heads up with Samsung drives ordered from Newegg. I ordered two for a home server and while they worked for a couple of weeks they went belly up after that. They came shipped in blister packs inside a box with foam peanuts.
Newegg could certainly do better at packing OEM drives that's for sure. I've purchased four or five in the last couple of years...mostly WD's as well as a couple of Seagates. All are running fine. But you're right, it's pretty lousy packing.

The Samsung's a brand new model and I'm just curious to see if it will work in a TiVo HD. The TiVo HD isn't mission critical so if it eventually fails I can live with that. If it doesn't work from the get-go I'll use it for a backup drive so not a big deal. For $69 bucks...what the heck...live dangerous I always say.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 AM   #3014
richsadams

Quote:
Is there any reason not to use the DVR expander (which my mother is planning to give me on Tuesday - unless I decide I should put together my own components and return it). So I'm ready to order whatever hard drives, enclosures and cables I need - but don't know if there's any reason to get a 1TB WD10EVC or WD10EVVS, antec mx-1 enclosure and cable instead of just opening up the DVR expander and taking it's hard drive and marrying to my new upgraded internal drive.

Another question - do I use the same cable to connect the Tivo hard drives to my computer for imaging as I would later use to connect the Tivo to the external hard drive?

Thanks.
Lynn.
Cracking the case of the WD My DVR Expander is not easy and IIRC a couple of folks here ended up breaking them. Plus it voids the warranty. That doesn't rule it out though because you should be able to connect it to a computer using a PCI eSATA adapter (yep, something else you'd need to buy). The Expander only carries a one-year warranty as well while bare WD drives have a three-year warranty. So there are a few things to consider.

BTW, if you're talking about the eSATA cable that connects the external hard drive to TiVo, the MX-1 also comes with one. You could use that one if you had an eSATA connector on your computer (same scenario as above). Otherwise, no, you would need a basic SATA II cable to connect your new SATA hard drives directly to your computer's SATA connections on the motherboard.

Cost when using a bare hard drive for the internal upgrade and a WD My DVR Expander as the eSATA drive:

1 - WD 1TB WD10EVCS hard drive ($99.24 w/free shipping - 3 year warranty)
1 - WD My DVR Expander ($169.99 w/free shipping - 1 year warranty)
1 - PCI eSATA Adapter ($24.99 w/free shipping)
1 - SATA cable w/power adapter ($8.78 w/free shipping if you buy the WD 1TB My DVR Expander)
1 - copy wimMFS (free download)

Total cost: $303.00

Cost for 2 bare hard drives for internal upgrade and eSATA drive and enclosure:

2 - WD 1TB WD10EVCS hard drives ($99.24 ea. w/free shipping - 3 year warranty)
1 - Antec MX-1 Enclosure ($48.94 w/free shipping - 3 year warranty)
2 - SATA cables w/power adapter ($8.78 ea. w/free shipping if you buy the MX-1)
1 - copy wimMFS (free download)

Total cost: $264.98

Either combination would give you everything you need to create a 2TB TiVo HD utilizing your original hard drive's image. All of the items listed (except the cables) can usually be found on sale at various times, but those were the lowest prices I could find at the moment.

If you've never purchased anything from buy.com you can use this coupon code for $5.00 off a purchase of $100 or more or this coupon code for $10 off on a purchase of $200 or more.

BTW: Nice mom!

Last edited by richsadams : 06-15-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Add coupon info
Old 06-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #3015
fallingwater

Red face Am I totally not understanding the concept?

Is it possible and/or practical to replace HDTiVo's internal HDD with another eSATA drive by physically running the connection cable out the back of HDTiVo to a jack to which a replacement HDD in a suitable external case plugs into? If the replacement drive is formatted properly how would this be any different from an internal HDD.

Why couldn't any HDTiVo thus be able to use any number of properly formatted HDDs one at a time as unlimited storage with plug-and-play convenience?

Why have I never seen this suggested or discussed? Why does Weaknees.com seem to offer this scheme only in a dual external configuration with automatic back-up?

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-hd-tcd652160.php#path2

Is there something inherently unreliable about one-at-a-time unlimited HDD storage?
fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #3016
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Is it possible and/or practical to replace HDTiVo's internal HDD with another eSATA drive by physically running the connection cable out the back of HDTiVo to a jack to which a replacement HDD in a suitable external case plugs into? If the replacement drive is formatted properly how would this be any different from an internal HDD.
Yes, possible, and that is the way the original Series 3 "Terabyte TiVos" were configured back when quiet 1TB drives didn't exist yet. Two 500GB drives in striped RAID 0 format using a driverless hardware RAID enclosure were connected with an eSATA/SATA cable to the S3. And with the TiVO HD it is even easier since you can use the exterior eSATA port and just reroute it internally to the motherboard SATA port.
Quote:
Why couldn't any HDTiVo thus be able to use any number of properly formatted HDDs one at a time as unlimited storage with plug-and-play convenience?
This sort of destroys some of the important functionality of the TiVo in that you would have separate season passes, separate 30 day already seen database, separate ratings database, etc. So, even if you had them setup up so the cable card pairing was preserved you would lose so much functionality that it would not be worth it. Better to have a huge mondo drive attached to your PC and just archive the things you want to preserve using TiVo Desktop or other utilities. So, no, not practical. Some have also suggested separate external drives (qua external) for the same reason but in that case it isn't even possible at all because only one external drive can be married to the internal at a time.
Quote:
Why have I never seen this suggested or discussed? Why does Weaknees.com seem to offer this scheme only in a dual external configuration with automatic back-up?
It is not suggested or discussed simply because it is not a good idea if you reflect upon the consequences of doing that. The Weaknees system really isn't intended for what you have suggested here. It simply takes the original external RAID idea and uses mirrored RAID 1 format on two 1TB drives for a total of 1TB capacity. It is just a way to improve reliability via redundancy.
Quote:
Is there something inherently unreliable about one-at-a-time unlimited HDD storage?
It is not so much that it is unreliable but that on a practical everyday level it is unworkable.

Last edited by jlib : 06-15-2009 at 10:46 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #3017
lynnalexandra

Thanks, Rich. That's what I needed to know. It is better to buy my own components and have a 3 yr warranty - and I don't want to "break" into a DVR expander case that isn't easily opened. So I ordered all the bare parts. (I had ordered from buy.com before, so I wasn't able to use the coupons - but thank you.)

Lynn.

PS If you think I had a lot of questions before, I shudder to think the trouble I'll be getting into when I have 2 bare drives and an opened PC in front of me.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #3018
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Thanks, Rich. That's what I needed to know. It is better to buy my own components and have a 3 yr warranty - and I don't want to "break" into a DVR expander case that isn't easily opened. So I ordered all the bare parts. (I had ordered from buy.com before, so I wasn't able to use the coupons - but thank you.)

Lynn.

PS If you think I had a lot of questions before, I shudder to think the trouble I'll be getting into when I have 2 bare drives and an opened PC in front of me.
You still need to open the Tivo to add an unofficial drive, or even to change from the original drive inside.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #3019
fallingwater

Red face

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...79#post7331879

Thanks for taking time to write a detailed explanation that I, who am not particularly digital-knowlegable, basically can understand.
fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #3020
wperry1

Have there been any changes in the max capacity on the TivoHD since the FAQ was written? It looks to have been done when the SW version was ~8 or 9 and my TivoHD box is at 11.0c.
wperry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #3021
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wperry1 View Post
Have there been any changes in the max capacity on the TivoHD since the FAQ was written? It looks to have been done when the SW version was ~8 or 9 and my TivoHD box is at 11.0c.
No.

The FAQ is always updated to reflect the latest available information. Note the "Last Updated: June/5/2009" at the top of the FAQ.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #3022
djwilso

Using the guide in the first post of this thread, I was able to successfully replace the internal drive of my TiVo Original Series 3 with the recommended WD10EVCS drive.

I just wanted to say thanks to bkdtv and all of the contributors to the guide that made it so easy.

Once upon a time I upgraded the drive in my original Series 1 back around 2002, and MFS has really come a long way since then.

This guide saved a lot of money over purchasing a drive from DVRUpgrade or Weaknees and allowed me to save all of my recordings and CableCard pairing data.

So, thank you thank you thank you!

Dennis
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #3023
lynnalexandra

ThAbto - thank you. I do realize I have to open up the Tivo as well to get the original drive out - and to place the newly prepared upgraded drive in. I already did that with a prepared drive for my Tivo 2 - so the opening and replacing drives part didn't scare me. The programming and going into my computer is intimidating - but I think there's enough support here, well written instructions and Rich's endless patience - that I'm going to do it. (It was the DVR Expander I didn't want to open since Rich said some have had difficulties with that.)

My Antec Mx-! and sata cables arrived today. Hopefully the two drives will come by Friday and I can get this done over the weekend.

Thanks.
Lynn.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #3024
triger716

Ok while not a new Tivo user, I haven't used tivo since the original Sony DirecTivo Sat-T60.

I just have a couple of questions. I will be using a Tivo with FIOS (I don't have either FIOS or the Tivo yet) and have a few questions about that, but will post those in a different thread.

My main questions are on the possible upgraded HDD size on the TivoHD vs the TivoHD XL.

1) From reading this thread my understanding is that the maximum size for the TivoHD is 1.0TB for the internal + 1.0TB External for a total of 2.0TB. For the TivoHD. For the TivoHD XL the maximum size would be 2.0TB for the internal + 1.0TB for the external for a total of 3.0TB. Is this correct?

2) If number one is right, are the maximum size differences between the TivoHD and the TivoHD XL due to the differences in the Tivo's themselves or is it due to the WinMFS program?

I am basically trying to decide if I want to take advantage of the Father's Day special and get the TivoHD or buy a TivoHD XL. I want the one that will give me the largest total HDD size possible after upgrade. I will most likely do the upgrade right away.

Also has anybody tried using a Seagate Showcase ST31000SCA109-RK 1TB external HDD with a TivoHD? I know it probably wouldn't be "Plug and Play" but I would be upgrading the internal Tivo drive anyway.

Thanks. Looking forward to rejoining the world of Tivo. No other DVR I have used since the Sony Tivo Sat-T60 has come close to it.

Last edited by triger716 : 06-18-2009 at 04:50 PM.
triger716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #3025
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716 View Post
1) From reading this thread my understanding is that the maximum size for the TivoHD is 1.0TB for the internal + 1.0TB External for a total of 2.0TB. For the TivoHD. For the TivoHD XL the maximum size would be 2.0TB for the internal + 1.0TB for the external for a total of 3.0TB. Is this correct?
No. The maximum total internal+external size for either platform is the same 2.2TB (2.0TiB).

With current tools, the maximum possible capacity for a single internal or external drive is 1.1TB (1.0TiB) plus the capacity of the original drive. Hence, the maximum capacity for a single internal or external drive is 1.26TB for the TivoHD and 2.1TB for the TivoHD XL. If you prepared a 2.1TB internal drive for the TivoHD XL, then you could only use a ~0.1TB external drive.

Quote:
2) If number one is right, are the maximum size differences between the TivoHD and the TivoHD XL due to the differences in the Tivo's themselves or is it due to the WinMFS program?
The single drive differences are due to partition differences between the two platforms. WinMFS works by expanding a separate partition [up] to 1.1TB, so you have that capacity plus the original 160GB (TivoHD) or 1TB (TivoHD XL) partition.

Quote:
I am basically trying to decide if I want to take advantage of the Father's Day special and get the TivoHD or buy a TivoHD XL. I want the one that will give me the largest total HDD size possible after upgrade. I will most likely do the upgrade right away.
If you buy the TivoHD XL, then you can add the "plug and play" 1TB My DVR Expander.

The TivoHD XL costs almost $400 more, however, at $488 (Amazon.com) plus $399 lifetime (price for new customers).

Quote:
Also has anybody tried using a Seagate Showcase ST31000SCA109-RK 1TB external HDD with a TivoHD? I know it probably wouldn't be "Plug and Play" but I would be upgrading the internal Tivo drive anyway.
That looks like a good drive if you are going to pair an external drive manually with WinMFS, but it is pricy. Newegg.com wants $185 + shipping. The Fantom Drives GD1000EU would be much cheaper at $89.99 after rebate.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #3026
triger716

Thanks bkdtv for the quick response. Looks like I'll be ordering the Father's Day Special if the ultimate HDD size upgrade is the same with both the HD and the HD XL.

Last edited by triger716 : 06-18-2009 at 09:37 PM.
triger716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #3027
DixonAgee

Price change for WD10 EVCS?

I wonder if the WD10 EVCS stock is about to run out. Suddenly the Buy.com price is $160 - and Amazon.com lists it for $265. Others still have it for less, but for how long?

Fortunately the WD10 EVVS is still available at around $100 from these folks.

Regards,

DixonAgee
Old 06-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #3028
jlib
Lean Forward

For TiVO upgrade purposes there is no advantage to getting the more expensive model
Old 06-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #3029
wannaB

I am thinking of upgrading my TiVo HD to a 1TB drive and using the drive out of my TiVo HD to upgrade my regular TiVo I have in the bedroom. Anyone see a problem doing this?
wannaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #3030
moxie1617

Yes, the drive interfaces are different. The old Tivo has a parallel interface and the new Tivo's have a serial interface.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote