TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2009, 02:31 AM   #1321
BJezz

Netflix are not mentioned in the copyright information on the TiVo, whereas pretty much everybody that can be mentioned has been. This suggests to me that there is no Netflix component running on the TiVo itself and that they are streaming data over HME.

I'm just guessing though. But if it is using HME, I would be surprised if the network traffic to control the streaming was encrypted. I would only expect the video itself to be encrypted.

I don't have a Netflix account, so I cannot volunteer with a packet sniffer.
BJezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #1322
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo routinely uses HME over SSL, even for stuff that seems pointless to hide, much less stuff that they actively want to hide; so yes, it's encrypted.

HME per se doesn't stream anything. We send a command to the TiVo, with a URL, and it fetches the material "behind the scenes". As it does so, it sends back status reports every so often -- where it is in the stream, what rate it's playing at. At the same time, we can send commands -- pause, speed up, etc.

Now, in Streambaby, the TiVo ends up making its http request right back to the same server that's running the HME front-end. But handling that request is technically outside the scope of HME. (It's just a standard http request, like you'd make to download a file.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #1323
BJezz

Well that sucks, but is very interesting. I had this vision of the HME commands being intertwined with the encrypted video, making it difficult (but eventually possible) to decipher the command set. But if the HME calls are encrypted on a separate connection, I see rebuffering being a workaround in Streambaby for a long time to come.
BJezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #1324
jcthorne

For vids longer than 1 hr, why not just have them pushed and start watching a few minutes later when the buffer has built up? Seems to work for most .mp4s I have tried.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #1325
blastoff

Have given streambaby a try. No problems installing, messages indicate it is running, but it does not show up on my Tivo (under music, photos ...). Have tried changing video directory, ports, and IP, but no joy.
blastoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #1326
wbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff View Post
Have given streambaby a try. No problems installing, messages indicate it is running, but it does not show up on my Tivo (under music, photos ...). Have tried changing video directory, ports, and IP, but no joy.
I'm having problems getting it to work too. Dled and configured it, got the latest version of Java. Mine shows its ready on the PC, and appears in the tivo menu, but when I click the option I usually just get a please wait screen for a couple of minutes, then the 50005 connection error. A couple of times it has pulled up my videos folder, but when I press play I get about a second of video, then it crashes and the PC shows the connection has been reset. I'm not real literate with this stuff, so if anyone has ideas for me to try I would very much appreciate them. Also, if there's a resource where there's troubleshooting info I would love to know about it.

I liked the idea of SB because I've read the TIVO desktop is a bit of a resource hog on a PC, and I just want to occasionally be able to stream a movie or TV show from my computer.

Thx in advance for any help.
wbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #1327
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
For vids longer than 1 hr, why not just have them pushed and start watching a few minutes later when the buffer has built up? Seems to work for most .mp4s I have tried.
For the HD videos I am using in MP4 format, 8K bitrates, they will stream fine, just a bit faster than live. But when pushed they transfer a LOT slower than real time. Not sure why that is the case but it is for me at least.

Also one of my Tivo's is on the test servers so I can not push content to it at the moment.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #1328
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
Also one of my Tivo's is on the test servers so I can not push content to it at the moment.
First rule of fight club ...

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #1329
moyekj

Quote:
Rick
Actually you can. In streambaby config just change the mind server to the following (instead of mind.tivo.com):
stagingmind.tivo.com
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #1330
Sheldon469

Subscribed.

Sheldon469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #1331
cburbs

What does this error mean?

Initializing StreamBaby svn-r238...
java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpServer$PortInterface.<init >(HttpSer
ver.java:204)
at com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpServer$Port.<init>(HttpSer ver.java:
169)
at com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.ja va:79)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.host.Listener.<init>(Liste ner.java:
103)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.host.Main.<init>(Main.java :137)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.StreamBabyMain.main(Stream BabyMain.
java:152)
error: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
usage: Main [--port <port>] [--ip <ip>] class

Exited.
Press any key to continue . . .
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #1332
solutionsetc

Just a guess but do you have a firewall that might be blocking incoming connections to Java?
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #1333
cburbs

It worked the other day on an older version of streambaby. I just upgraded recently.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #1334
cburbs

SVRN-232 runs fine I just tested it.....I always just copy my ini file over to the new version. I can't run any of the 2 new versions 238 and 239.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #1335
solutionsetc

Does the version that used to work still work?
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #1336
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
SVRN-232 runs fine I just tested it.....I always just copy my ini file over to the new version. I can't run any of the 2 new versions 238 and 239.
Somewhere between those version (I think) I "fixed" a problem with binding to wrong IP addresses... Either I fixed it incorrectly, or it was only working on your system before due to a bug.

Do you have an ip= line in your streambaby.ini? If so make sure it is the correct IP address that you want to bind to. (And you can try commenting it out if it is there also).

kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #1337
cburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Somewhere between those version (I think) I "fixed" a problem with binding to wrong IP addresses... Either I fixed it incorrectly, or it was only working on your system before due to a bug.

Do you have an ip= line in your streambaby.ini? If so make sure it is the correct IP address that you want to bind to. (And you can try commenting it out if it is there also).
Yep - I just copy the ini file from each version to the next. I also commented it out and then it just sits there and doesn't do anything.
R237 works but I can't get 238 or 239 to go.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #1338
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

I've run into a problem with the latest subversion code (r239), running on Mac OS X 10.5.7. Happens whether I use the default java or force use of 1.6.

Code:
$ ./streambaby
Initializing StreamBaby svn-r239...
06/21/09 16:56:55 FFmpegJavaVideoModule: Unable to load FFmpeg native libraries
java.net.BindException: Can't assign requested address
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:359)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)
        at com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpServer$PortInterface.<init>(HttpServer.java:204)
        at com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpServer$Port.<init>(HttpServer.java:169)
        at com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:79)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.host.Listener.<init>(Listener.java:103)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.host.Main.<init>(Main.java:137)
        at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.StreamBabyMain.main(StreamBabyMain.java:152)
error: Can't assign requested address
usage: Main [--port <port>] [--ip <ip>] class

$
With an identical streambaby.ini file, 0.27 works just fine. I just decided to try the subversion code today to see if some mp4 audio synch issues got cleared up.

Here's the .ini file (in case someone asks):

Code:
#
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#

# Video share(s)

title=Our Video Collection (Streambaby svn-r239)
dir.1=/Volumes/foobar/moveez
dir.1.name=Our Video Collection

toplevel.skip=true

# Ip address to bind to

ip=192.168.1.7

# port to use

port=7290

# ffmpeg info

ffmpeg.path=/sw/bin/ffmpeg

# Tivo.com account information (needed for optional video push)

tivo.username=foo@foo.bar
tivo.password=fubar42

tivo.1=This is the important tivo
tivo.1.tsn=1234567890ABCD
tivo.2=This is the less important tivo
tivo.2.tsn=DCBA0987654321

# Miscellaneous settings

##mp4module.interleave=false
preview.big=true

use.title=true
sort.filename=true
meta.vidinfo.disable=false
use.title.cachedonly=false
Any ideas? Thanks!
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:31 AM   #1339
Yoav

Obvious question: is your machine's IP address 192.168.1.7? is port 7290 already taken by another program?

The ffmpeg warning is because you don't have the shared libs set up right (although I'm assuming you don't care).

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #1340
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Obvious question: is your machine's IP address 192.168.1.7? is port 7290 already taken by another program?
Yes, and no. Everything works fine with streambaby 0.27. When I stop it, and then try to start svn-r239, the errors occur. If I then turn around and start 0.27 again, everything is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
The ffmpeg warning is because you don't have the shared libs set up right (although I'm assuming you don't care).
Yeah, I've never cared enough about those warnings to bother solving them. I almost exclusively use streambaby in push mode; so the thumbnailing etc. isn't important to me.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #1341
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Okay, I'm officially an idiot. All this time I thought I'd assigned that computer the address 192.168.1.7; but it's actually 192.168.1.2 - that was the issue.

However that does bring up another (academic) problem - why did it work with the latest release (0.27), since the wrong IP was in that streambaby.ini as well? It seems like both should've been broken, or both should've worked.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #1342
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
However that does bring up another (academic) problem - why did it work with the latest release (0.27), since the wrong IP was in that streambaby.ini as well? It seems like both should've been broken, or both should've worked.
There was a bug in streambaby that caused it to not bind correctly to the IP address specified in the INI file. The last couple of SVN versions fix this problem. (It's not quite as simple as this, as having the ip= line in the INI in old versions did affect the binding, just not in the correct way...)

Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #1343
MrGolden

I've searched for this, and couldn't find an answer...

My problem is an mkv file with subtitles *below* the video, inside the bottom black bar. If I play the video in WMP or VLC, I can see the subtitles, but when I play it on the Tivo using Streambaby the subtitles aren't visible. It seems like Streambaby is zooming in on just the video, and leaving out the black bars (and the subtitles).

I'm using version 027 and have tried the Tivo Ratio button and different TV settings, but none of that works. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
MrGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #1344
cburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
There was a bug in streambaby that caused it to not bind correctly to the IP address specified in the INI file. The last couple of SVN versions fix this problem. (It's not quite as simple as this, as having the ip= line in the INI in old versions did affect the binding, just not in the correct way...)
Mine works now after changing it to the correct IP -
Old 06-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #1345
windracer
joined the 10k club

I've apparently screwed something up. I haven't used streambaby in a while and now I'm getting 0xffffff errors whenever I try to play a video. In the log I see

JavaMP4Splitter$Splitter$1: IOException: java.io.IOException: Pipe closed

I rebuilt ffmpeg last night just in case, but no luck. Guess I'll have to dig into this a bit more ...

|
Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #1346
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I've apparently screwed something up. I haven't used streambaby in a while and now I'm getting 0xffffff errors whenever I try to play a video.
Looks like it's just MP4 videos causing me problems ... AVI, WMV, MPG, etc. works fine. Something must be wrong with my current ffmpeg build.

edit: ah, looks like I am having the "codec frame rate differs from container frame rate" problem reported earlier in this thread (back in March). Lowering the quality works around the problem and the file plays. Was there ever a solution discovered for this?

|

Last edited by windracer : 06-24-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #1347
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
edit: ah, looks like I am having the "codec frame rate differs from container frame rate" problem reported earlier in this thread (back in March). Lowering the quality works around the problem and the file plays. Was there ever a solution discovered for this?
What I do is remux the MP4. Use MP4Box to extract the raw audio and video streams and remux. That way the container will be recreated. I have to do this with several tools that create the MP4 container is some manner that StreamBaby (Or the TiVo) does not like. This may fix your issue.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #1348
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Looks like it's just MP4 videos causing me problems ... AVI, WMV, MPG, etc. works fine. Something must be wrong with my current ffmpeg build.

MP4's created by HandBrake don't seem to have this issue. (Windows system).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #1349
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
What I do is remux the MP4. Use MP4Box to extract the raw audio and video streams and remux. That way the container will be recreated. I have to do this with several tools that create the MP4 container is some manner that StreamBaby (Or the TiVo) does not like. This may fix your issue.
Ugh ... earlier this year I converted all of my videos and DVDs into MP4 using WinFF. These used to play just fine through streambaby, but with a different version of ffmpeg I guess. It would be quite a lot of work to re-mux those.

|
Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #1350
kearygriffin

Quote:
Ugh ... earlier this year I converted all of my videos and DVDs into MP4 using WinFF. These used to play just fine through streambaby, but with a different version of ffmpeg I guess. It would be quite a lot of work to re-mux those.
MP4 shouldn't need ffmpeg to do anything except generate previews (which even if it doesn't work shouldn't cause errors), so I don't think that is going to be the problem...

Do these videos work with an older version of streambaby? (Say V0.25 which uses different MP4 splitting code) Which version are you currently running?