TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
donnoh

Painless Charter Cablecard Installation

After reading about all of the troubles people have had about getting a cablecard to work, including my own two hour ordeal with my first Tivo HD, I thought I would brag on Charter for a 10 minute cablecard install for my newest HD.

The installer showed up on time with 1 M card and 2 S cards, put in the M card first, the cablecard screen popped up, he called the office with the info and voila everything worked. He stayed long enough to be sure that all of the channels came in and that was it, total time 10 minutes.

This is how a cablecard install should be. The only downside was that I had to pay $35 for a truck roll instead of letting me plug the card in and call in the data.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:40 AM   #2
Nugent

Wait until you get your bill before posting...
Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
eaglestvo

That was how mine went with Charter Outer Banks. The guy had installed in lots of Tivos, and it took about 10-15 minutes.
eaglestvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Andrea4

The installer is coming on Thursday. Hopefully it goes this smoothly for me! And they told me it was going to be $29.99 for them to come and install it. It better not be more then that.
Andrea4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
shrike4242

I've done four CableCard installs with Charter, across four Tivo HD's and one Tivo S3. I've had issues with three out of four of them, and received a $30 credit back for different issues with each borked install.

Some things to keep in mind:

1) It theoretically won't get access to all of your channels for up to an hour, so I'd wait until then before checking your channels.
2) Make sure you run Guided Setup after the install, not while the tech is there. Most of the time, they won't want to hang around and wait the 15-30 minutes it'll take. The channel testing utility is your friend in this case.
3) Check every single channel you're supposed to receive and make sure they all come in. I've had at least two issues with not having back-end programming done to make sure I have all the channels I'm supposed to get. The most recent install, also borked and refunded had two issues. One was that they didn't authorize the new cable card to work with all the channels, because they have to enable a new device (cable card, box, or Charter DVR) to receive premium channels. If they don't fix that, you won't get premium channels. They also didn't enable the HD Ultra Tier to work with the new card, which caused them to have to come out on a service call and swap cards when they didn't have to.

OP, I'm glad to hear you didn't have any issues with them, and I didn't have any issues with the actual install itself with the truck roll and the tech. It's been all the back-end programming that's been a really screwed up mess and required subsequent phone calls to Charter to fix.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
djstix

My first install was shortly after the TivoHD was released and it did not go well. The tech had never done this before and left before enabling my premium channels because he did not know how to pair the cards.
Fast forward about 6 months and another TivoHD and these guys knew exactly what to do.
Perhaps with more Tivos and other Cablecard devices out there they got up to speed - eventually.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Andrea4

Well the installer was here for over an hour. He told me he had never dealt with cable cards before and immediately I thought, oh great! But I think I would still say that it went smoothly. The test channels weren't coming in. But then they realised it was because my Charter DVR needed to be cancelled first. They came in right away after that was done. I haven't checked every channel yet. I know one doesn't come in. So do I just have to call Charter to tell them this and then they can fix it without anyone coming back?

And just making sure, you need a cable card to be able to record anything to the Tivo, right? Or can you record with a digital cable box? I thought they were going to swap out my old DVR with a digital cable box. I do want one so that I can still use the OnDemand and I also heard that you can record two things on Tivo and then switch the input and still watch something else live. I didn't tell the guy all of this, just the first part. I think he thought I was crazy for still wanting the OnDemand. He didn't see why I would need both a cable card and a digital cable box. If I had cable in my bedroom, I would have just had him install it in there and then I could do whatever I want with it.

Last edited by Andrea4 : 06-18-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
djstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea4 View Post
Well the installer was here for over an hour. He told me he had never dealt with cable cards before and immediately I thought, oh great! But I think I would still say that it went smoothly. The test channels weren't coming in. But then they realised it was because my Charter DVR needed to be cancelled first. The came in right away after that was done. I haven't checked every channel yet. I know one doesn't come in. So do I just have to call Charter to tell them this and then they can fix it without anyone coming back?

Unfortunately it sound like they may have to come back. What message do you get on screen when you try to tune the one channel that doesnt come in? Can you get HBO and Showtime? Depending on the answer, it may be that your novice tech installed the cards but did not complete the crucial step of "pairing" with your device. If so, they need to come back otherwise you will not see any encrypted/premium channels.

Check the Tivo Customer Support website for info on Cablecard installs.

And just making sure, you need a cable card to be able to record anything to the Tivo, right?

Yes from cable - actually you need either 2 single stream cards or 1 multi.

Or can you record with a digital cable box? I thought they were going to swap out my old DVR with a digital cable box. I do want one so that I can still use the OnDemand and I also heard that you can record two things on Tivo and then switch the input and still watch something else live. I didn't tell the guy all of this, just the first part. I think he thought I was crazy for still wanting the OnDemand. He didn't see why I would need both a cable card and a digital cable box.
If you must have cable on demand (and I strongly suggest you check out the new on demand features on the Tivo like Amazon HD before you decide you still need it) you need a HD DVR from the cable company. I dont think
it is worth it personally since the Tivo HD has everything you need.

Suggest you read some FAQs on the forum for more background.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
djstix

I meant to say - without pairing you get a black screen with a gray message on copy protected channels - HBO is a good test.

Support info here http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...pairingbinding
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Andrea4

Nevermind, the channel doesn't come in because it's not a channel anymore, if that makes any sense. It was VH1 Classic. It was a grey screen that said "channel not available" Not sure why I even get it still, but oh well. All the movie channels work. I might check all the other digital channels this weekend.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
tootal2

I have 4 cable cards from charter and have no problems with them. I had a problem with one card and i went charter.com and chated with someone and i had the card working in 5 min.

I pay 2.00 card but 1 card is free so i only pay 6.00 a month for the cards I had my cable cards for about 2 years now.

I also have a antenna on my tivo
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
Andrea4

Yeah I thought I saw that the first card is free and each additional is $2.00. But I can't imagine if I only have one card that they won't make me pay for it.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
shrike4242

Quote:
Well the installer was here for over an hour. He told me he had never dealt with cable cards before and immediately I thought, oh great! But I think I would still say that it went smoothly. The test channels weren't coming in. But then they realised it was because my Charter DVR needed to be cancelled first. They came in right away after that was done. I haven't checked every channel yet. I know one doesn't come in. So do I just have to call Charter to tell them this and then they can fix it without anyone coming back?

And just making sure, you need a cable card to be able to record anything to the Tivo, right? Or can you record with a digital cable box? I thought they were going to swap out my old DVR with a digital cable box. I do want one so that I can still use the OnDemand and I also heard that you can record two things on Tivo and then switch the input and still watch something else live. I didn't tell the guy all of this, just the first part. I think he thought I was crazy for still wanting the OnDemand. He didn't see why I would need both a cable card and a digital cable box. If I had cable in my bedroom, I would have just had him install it in there and then I could do whatever I want with it.
If you have the cable feed split between the Tivo and the cable box, then yes, you can watch something live on the cable box into the TV (assuming it's on a different input into the TV than the Tivo) and be recording two other channels on the Tivo. I did this with an S3 and a S2 in the same room, with the cable split between them.

You only need the CableCard to record something that's from a digital channel, so anything you'd get without the need of a cable box would be recordable on the Tivo without the CableCard. It'll work to record two analog channels at the same time, sans CableCard. With the CableCard, it'll do two digital shows, two analog shows, or one of each. The Tivo HD, HD XL or S3 have no way to control a digital cable box. Only a S1 or an S2 can control a box via infrared or serial connection.

They can cancel your Charter DVR from the over-the-phone tech support, though you need to return the DVR to them as quickly as you can. If they come to your house, they can pick it up, or you can run to your local Charter office to drop it off. When I canceled my last cable box before the last CableCard install, they canceled it before they showed up and the tech took it with them when they did the truck roll for the install.

Quote:
Yeah I thought I saw that the first card is free and each additional is $2.00. But I can't imagine if I only have one card that they won't make me pay for it.
You shouldn't pay for one card, if that's all you have. Digital cable gives you your first cable box for free, so you should get at least one card for free, as the box is a $6-7 rental fee per month.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #14
ryder4321

I also want to give kudos to charter in s.cali. Tech was in and out the house within 20 minutes. Majority of the time was him on hold on the phone to the office to get the channels activated.
ryder4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #15
MitchV

Believe it or not, I recently had a good experience with a Comcast tech in Virginia. He was in and out in 30 minutes and per my request, he showed up at the door with a multi-stream cable card.
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote