TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #1621
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
I have my Linksys piggybacked off of the Actiontec and have turned off its firewall. It is unnecessary since the Actiontec firewall is in play.

I recommend you turn off the firewall on the D-Link as it is redundant and also unnecessary.
Good thought and I tried that but still no go. The issue is (I think) that I can't get the port forwarding to work on the VZ router. It's extremely simple to set up on the D-Link and as mentioned, it worked until I added the VZ router ahead of it. Now I don't think I am getting past the VZ router to the D-Link at all. In other words, I think it's my inability to do something that s/b fairly simple. Sooo...back to the drawing board.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #1622
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo
 
rocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Northeast Joisey
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Good thought and I tried that but still no go. The issue is (I think) that I can't get the port forwarding to work on the VZ router. It's extremely simple to set up on the D-Link and as mentioned, it worked until I added the VZ router ahead of it. Now I don't think I am getting past the VZ router to the D-Link at all. In other words, I think it's my inability to do something that s/b fairly simple. Sooo...back to the drawing board.
Since I don't have the Westel I can't offer any firsthand advice. General tactics would include:

Try enabling uPnP on the Westel if possible
Permanently disable the firewall on the D-Link
Rerun the setup on the Slingbox once the above is done

Drop me a PM if you want to take the discussion offline. I have no problem with FIOS and my Slingbox, but like I said, I have the Actiontec, not the Westel.

The good news is the 5M upload speed affords super picture quality - something you'll appreciate on the road
__________________
Scully: "Is that a hound I hear baying in the moor ?"
Mulder: "No. That was a right-cheek sneak."

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #1623
MapleLeaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Between us he was able to install two M cards in the Series3 and one in the TiVo HD and get them working in fairly short order. I had to show him the cable card set up screens and such, but after that he was off and running. He handled all of it on a little netbook computer, but couldn't get the program running on my iMac. So I drug out my Windows laptop so he could finish setting things up. He probably got tired of me looking over his shoulder and offering my thoughts but I think I might have actually saved him some time and gave him enough tips to be a little more confident the next time a TiVo is part of the equation.
Rich,

I'm switching from Comcast to Verizon's Extreme HD Triple Freedom package as well, so I was hoping you could elaborate a little more on what exactly I will need to do to prep my Tivo's for the switch. I have two Tivo HD's (with an M-Card each) and a Tivo S3 (with two S-Cards).

Is there anything I should do with the Tivo's before the installer arrives? In particular, should I remove the cable cards before the installer arrives? Is it safe just to eject the cable cards whenever I want (and in the case of the S3, in whatever order I want)? Or is there some Tivo menu option buried somewhere regarding safe cable card ejection? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I haven't touched the cable cards since installing them many months/years ago, so I don't recall the protocol for ejecting them.

Then once the installer arrives and has switched me over from Comcast service to Verizon service, what do I need to do? Do I remove the cable cards at that point (if I didn't do so before the installer arrived)?

After verifying that Verizon's cable cards are M-Cards and inserting them into my Tivo's (do they need to be inserted in any particular order on the S3?), what do I need to do then? Run guided setup all over again? What happens to my existing season's passes? Will they auto-magically get remapped to Verizon's channels?

Is there anything else I should look out for? Just skimming a few pages of this thread, it seems like some people have complained about macroblocking/pixelation issues. Are there currently known and/or widespread concerns in this regard?

Apologies if these questions have been answered before. I skimmed through the first few and last few pages of this thread, but didn't spot anything related to transferring existing Comcast service to new FiOS service.

Thanks!
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #1624
webin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Is there anything else I should look out for? Just skimming a few pages of this thread, it seems like some people have complained about macroblocking/pixelation issues. Are there currently known and/or widespread concerns in this regard?
The macroblocking/pixelation issues have been a concern, to the extent some people claimed FiOS was unwatchable... but I believe the problem is starting to disappear for most people (complaints are way down), and there are likely to be some changes in the (near?) future to further eliminate this problem.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #1625
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
I'm switching from Comcast to Verizon's Extreme HD Triple Freedom package as well, so I was hoping you could elaborate a little more on what exactly I will need to do to prep my Tivo's for the switch.
Holly cow! It's been over a month and you expect me to remember these things?!

I honestly didn't do anything to the TiVo's before the tech arrived. Once it was time for cable cards he/we just unplugged TiVo and pulled them out. He put in the new one(s) and fired them back up. For the Series3 I did admonish him that he needed to insert cable card 0 first, pair it and then cable card 1. He said he didn't think so and at about that time he became distracted with a phone call from another tech asking for advice...so quite honestly after showing him the cable card screens (Messages and Settings > Accnt and System Info > Cable Card Decoders > Config Cable Card > Cable Card Menu > Cable Card Pairing > Phew!) he proceeded on his own. Between entering the 3 appropriate numbers on his netbook and such he was able to get things up and running pretty quickly. I know there are some aspects of VZ cable card setups that are different than Comcast's/cableco's, but I'm not sure if it affects the "always pair cable card 0 first..." bit or not. He didn't seem to think that was necessary and I missed seeing if that's what he did or not. For some reason I think he may have completed both at the same time. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about VZ/cable cards can elaborate on that.

After he installed the cable cards and the boxes were back up and running I re-ran Guided Setup while he was there...picked the local VZ provider listed and that was about it.

My SP's were all remapped to the new channels no problem. I've seen a few posts where TiVo apparently became confused by some channels being SD or HD but that didn't happen to us.

As mentioned, I saw a little bit of Macroblocking, but not much. I haven't done anything about it since it's very rare. As Webin said, I think they are getting their signals under control or maybe some clandestine TiVo updates have addressed some of the issues. There's more about those sorts of problems on this thread, but I agree, the complaints seem to have fallen way off.

I was a bit nervous about the whole thing, but it turned out just fine. Be prepared to have the tech there a good part of the day. You'll need to show him where the ONT/Battery backup can be installed (usually on the outside/inside of the garage, etc. - he'll need a power outlet) but as long as you stay within earshot to answer any questions or lead him to your various pieces of equipment, it should go pretty smoothly. I'm really glad we switched now.

Hope that helps...let me know if you think of anything else. Best of luck and enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #1626
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Since I don't have the Westel I can't offer any firsthand advice. General tactics would include:

Try enabling uPnP on the Westel if possible
Permanently disable the firewall on the D-Link
Rerun the setup on the Slingbox once the above is done

Drop me a PM if you want to take the discussion offline. I have no problem with FIOS and my Slingbox, but like I said, I have the Actiontec, not the Westel.

The good news is the 5M upload speed affords super picture quality - something you'll appreciate on the road
Thanks for the good advice. When I have a little more time I'm going to work on it some more. I know it can work...just frustrated that I can't get it right for some reason. To keep the yawns to a minimum here I'll PM you when I get stuck...notice I said "when", not "if".
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #1627
MapleLeaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 113
Thanks for the prompt reply, Rich!


Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I honestly didn't do anything to the TiVo's before the tech arrived. Once it was time for cable cards he/we just unplugged TiVo and pulled them out. He put in the new one(s) and fired them back up.
Oh, I didn't realise that the proper protocol for replacing the cable cards was to first power down the Tivo's. Ok, thanks for that tip.


Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
For the Series3 I did admonish him that he needed to insert cable card 0 first, pair it and then cable card 1.
I also vaguely recall having to insert cable card 0 and configuring/pairing it before inserting cable card 1 (back when I configured the S3 for Comcast service a few years ago), so I guess I will try to nudge the Verizon installer in that direction to be safe.


Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I was a bit nervous about the whole thing, but it turned out just fine. Be prepared to have the tech there a good part of the day. You'll need to show him where the ONT/Battery backup can be installed (usually on the outside/inside of the garage, etc. - he'll need a power outlet) but as long as you stay within earshot to answer any questions or lead him to your various pieces of equipment, it should go pretty smoothly. I'm really glad we switched now.
I actually already have FiOS internet, so the ONT has already been installed. It's right beside the coax line into the house, so I'm thinking it'll take the installer all of about 5 minutes to switch the coax from the Comcast feed to the ONT. And I echo your trepidation. I'm kinda nervous about it, too. Even though I switched to FiOS internet a while back, I resisted switching to FiOS TV for a few reasons. One was the cost of cable cards ($4/month each, and I need four of them). Another was the absence of a channel I wanted (the Canadian CBC channel, so I could get Maple Leaf games, but that's now moot because Verizon now offers NHL Centre Ice). But probably the biggest reason was basically "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it". My Comcast TV service has, to be honest, been working perfectly well, and I was loathe to switch and risk things not working (and more importantly, risk the wrath of my wife ). But Verizon's latest Triple Freedom package deal was just too good to resist, so I'm finally making the jump (and praying that things go smoothly ).

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how it goes!
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:28 AM   #1628
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
But probably the biggest reason was basically "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it". My Comcast TV service has, to be honest, been working perfectly well, and I was loathe to switch and risk things not working (and more importantly, risk the wrath of my wife ). But Verizon's latest Triple Freedom package deal was just too good to resist, so I'm finally making the jump (and praying that things go smoothly ).

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how it goes!
I hear 'ya. I was in the same boat...and if momma ain't happy...

But all is well. I'm sort of glad we waited a little while to switch. There were a number of "VZ TV" horror stories early on but it seems like they've gotten their act together over the past year or so.

Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #1629
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member
 
IJustLikeTivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Gaithersburg, Md
Posts: 26,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply, Rich!

Oh, I didn't realise that the proper protocol for replacing the cable cards was to first power down the Tivo's. Ok, thanks for that tip.
Not needed. If the unit is running, it will recognize that a cablecard has been inserted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post

I also vaguely recall having to insert cable card 0 and configuring/pairing it before inserting cable card 1 (back when I configured the S3 for Comcast service a few years ago), so I guess I will try to nudge the Verizon installer in that direction to be safe.
The instruction say to do that but there isn't any real reason to do one vice the other. the machines just sees them as two different tuners to be paired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how it goes!
MY sister just had hers done two weeks ago, it was flawless. They got the ONT installed and the cable cards were paired nearly instantly as opposed to comcast which has managed to mess both my Tivos up at least once or twice by sending the wrong authorization data to the cards. And they always insist on rolling a tech when the problems has nothing to do with my end. He pulls the card, puts them back, makes a call giving them the same numbers they already have.... Stupid. I think Verizon, being a more technically oriented company to start has better training and techs. Good luck.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #1630
Jonathan_S
Registered User
 
Jonathan_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
For the Series3 I did admonish him that he needed to insert cable card 0 first, pair it and then cable card 1. He said he didn't think so and at about that time he became distracted with a phone call from another tech asking for advice...so quite honestly after showing him the cable card screens (Messages and Settings > Accnt and System Info > Cable Card Decoders > Config Cable Card > Cable Card Menu > Cable Card Pairing > Phew!) he proceeded on his own. Between entering the 3 appropriate numbers on his netbook and such he was able to get things up and running pretty quickly. I know there are some aspects of VZ cable card setups that are different than Comcast's/cableco's, but I'm not sure if it affects the "always pair cable card 0 first..." bit or not. He didn't seem to think that was necessary and I missed seeing if that's what he did or not.
As I understand it, the main reason TiVo recommends pairing the cards one at a time is that it significantly simplifies troubleshooting if one of them doesn't pair correctly.

So it's a good idea to install card 0 and test it before installing card 1, but not strictly required.
__________________
Xbox: MetalThreshkeen -- PSN: Threshkeen
TiVo Elite

Last edited by Jonathan_S : 06-03-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: dial down the hyperbole
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #1631
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
As I understand it, the main reason TiVo recommends pairing the cards one at a time is that it significantly simplifies troubleshooting if one of them doesn't pair correctly.

So it's a good idea to install card 0 and test it before installing card 1, but not strictly required.
Makes sense. However, IIRC aren't there posts that indicated that when the cableco tech tried to do CC 1 first (Vs 0) or both at the same time that problems arose?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #1632
tdel73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Makes sense. However, IIRC aren't there posts that indicated that when the cableco tech tried to do CC 1 first (Vs 0) or both at the same time that problems arose?
When I had FIOS installed my tech installed both CC before having them paired and I'm not having any problems, but I don't know if that is the smart way to go.
tdel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #1633
Phantom Gremlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdel73 View Post
When I had FIOS installed my tech installed both CC before having them paired and I'm not having any problems, but I don't know if that is the smart way to go.
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the pairing procedure required for Comcast is different than the procedure required for FiOS.

The nature of the difference is that FiOS doesn't really pair CCs to a specific box, only to the account. Much simpler that way. Not sure what keeps you from then taking that CC to your neighbor's house. Maybe the CC is also somehow paired to a specific ONT?
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #1634
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the pairing procedure required for Comcast is different than the procedure required for FiOS.

The nature of the difference is that FiOS doesn't really pair CCs to a specific box, only to the account. Much simpler that way.
I believe that is the case. Then it would make sense that it doesn't matter which CC is paired first, last or if the info for both is sent down the line at the same time.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #1635
Distortedloop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Fernando, CA
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
...Not sure what keeps you from then taking that CC to your neighbor's house. Maybe the CC is also somehow paired to a specific ONT?
And I've often wondered what would be the big deal and objection to cable companies or FIOS if you did take your cable/FIOS box or TiVo to a friend's or neighbor's for the evening. It's kind of like the software license agreement that says you can only use the software on one computer at a time, or an actual physical book (perhaps a better analogy) - you're only watching YOUR account on one TV at any given moment in time. It's not like plugging in at a neighbor who will never pay for subscription channels is making the cable company lose revenue.

Has anyone ever tried this? It would be an interesting legal question to test.
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #1636
wkearney99
Bill Kearney
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,479
The the box would only work if the location already service. But presumably you're talking about being able to use the box to obtain channels not already subscribed to using the existing box. Not sure how many people would want to undertake the hassle of plugging/unplugging the equipment to do it.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #1637
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable
 
DCIFRTHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedloop View Post
And I've often wondered what would be the big deal and objection to cable companies or FIOS if you did take your cable/FIOS box or TiVo to a friend's or neighbor's for the evening. It's kind of like the software license agreement that says you can only use the software on one computer at a time, or an actual physical book (perhaps a better analogy) - you're only watching YOUR account on one TV at any given moment in time. It's not like plugging in at a neighbor who will never pay for subscription channels is making the cable company lose revenue.

Has anyone ever tried this? It would be an interesting legal question to test.
Putting aside technical issues for a moment: I wonder if the Terms Of Service stipulates that you have agreed to use your service(s) only at the address that is on your bill / account? If so, then taking your service, TiVo, STb etc., to another location would be breaking the TOS.

I'm sure it's buried in the TOS somewhere
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #1638
almahix
Registered User
 
almahix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ventura County California
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
They have been charging me $2.99 per card also. Which is exactaly what their price schedule says. Although I have had them for a long time. It is my understanding that currently they ONLY have M cards. Are you sure you don't have 2 M cards? If so, pull one out, and bring it back and they will stop charging you for it.

I paid $0 for my install... but that was way back when they first brought service into this area. I think I am in my third year with FiOS...

BOb
I recently bought a third Tivo HD, and when I ordered the cable card I told Verizon that I wanted an M card, and I wanted to replace the 4 S cards in the other 2 Tivos with 2 M cards, and they said they could do all of that, no problem! Even though it ultimately got done right by a knowledgeable technician, the ordering was a nightmare requiring several long phone calls and rescheduling dropped appointments. The tech said he 'could' take back my old cards and an STB, but he said it wasn't on the order and I 'might' never get credit for their return unless I did it myself at the VZ store about 20 miles away!

So now I pay less monthly for 3 M cards than I did for 4 S cards and an STB. I expected them to charge the 79.99 truck roll charge too, but it wasn't on my bill.
__________________
Roamio Plus and 2 Minis on Verizon FiOS.
almahix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #1639
bkdtv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by almahix View Post
So now I pay less monthly for 3 M cards than I did for 4 S cards and an STB. I expected them to charge the 79.99 truck roll charge too, but it wasn't on my bill.
Looks like you waited just long enough. Verizon eliminated the $79.99 truck roll for CableCards in late April.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #1640
webin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Looks like you waited just long enough. Verizon eliminated the $79.99 truck roll for CableCards in late April.
Wha?? I haven't heard this. Does that mean I could have them someone out to swap my 2 (fully functional) S-Cards for 1 M-Card and save myself $4/month?


Also: Does that mean I'd have to clean up my living room so I wouldn't feel completely embarased to have someone visit?
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #1641
bkdtv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
Wha?? I haven't heard this. Does that mean I could have them someone out to swap my 2 (fully functional) S-Cards for 1 M-Card and save myself $4/month?
When you add a new CableCard to your service, there is no charge for the installation visit, even if you have other cards swapped out at the same time. I don't know if the charge applies for those that want to swap out and remove S-CARDs.

I have heard that the CableCard rates increase from $2.99/mo (legacy pricing) to $3.99/ea when you swap out cards.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #1642
webin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I have heard that the CableCard rates increase from $2.99/mo (legacy pricing) to $3.99/ea when you swap out cards.
I'm already paying $3.99 per card ($7.98 total). I got my cards about 2 weeks after the price change in March 2008. If I feel up to the hassle, I may look into this.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #1643
tornZorak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4
New FiOS / Tivo Installation

Hi Folks,
After reading tons in this thread I had Verizon over to upgrade an existing double play (with DirectTv/HDRV2) to a triple play (Tivo HD XL). Lots of good advice lead to a relatively easy installation. There were a few snags mostly due to the tech not knowing what to do. I thought I would summarize what happened so that others in the Boston area can be armed with that knowledge.

Ordering: as mentioned by multiple folks the rep who took my order insisting and even "verified" that Verizon only has single-stream cable cards. This resulted in 4 cards being added to my order. The tech said that they only carry multi-stream cards now no matter what the order says. Interestingly the techs are not permitted to carry cable cards - the supervisor controls the stock and gives out the cards on the day of installation. This lead to the tech needing to wait for his supervisor in order to get the cards for my job.

After a bit of wiring we were ready for activation. I was getting two Tivo HD and one cable box installed. In case anyone cares he installed one 2 line splitter to handle the Verizon MoCA router and another 4 line splitter to handle the remaining Tivo's, etc. The MoCA router was connected to my regular home router via its LAN port. This means I am NOT using the verizon router for internet access in my house (I have a Cisco business class router for that). This works just fine - the tech will be very clueless about if it will work or not. Note that the Verizon router will be invisible to your home network since it is connected as if it was connected to the internet (firewall, etc). Do not connect your Tivo's to this router.

The tech has a tool called TechWizard that seems to auto discover the Verizon cable boxes and automatically activates them. It appears that the cable box did contain a cable card. This seems to make activation of these cable boxes really trivial for the tech. However it does not see the Tivo boxes so this confused the tech. Also note that the TechWizard tool will complain that the Verizon router appears to be behind a firewall resulting in an unsupported configuration. I was sweating a bit here because I did not want to have to reconfigure my entire network (especially DHCP/DNS) just to get their router to be supported. However the tech was okay clicking on the Ok continue anyway button. We spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the TechWizard tool to see the Tivo's - bottom line is it doesn't. At this point the tech mentioned that their is another way to activate cable cards (why didn't you mention this earlier! :-) So he finished activating the router and cable box and we moved on.

To activate the Tivo cable cards he needed to use his laptop to VPN into Verizon and connect to a special cable card web screen that allows him to enter the information. Most of it was fairly straight forward - serial number , host id, data. However the screen was asking for "POD-ID" which he did not know what it was. However based upon the pattern of numbers it wanted (we entered zeros to see this) we realized it was the Cable Card ID. Once entered both Tivos activated quickly and we were good to go.

It did take a further 10 minutes for the Tivo's to load data. Please note that I had run guided setup the night before on both Tivo's so that they already had guide data, etc. I'm guessing they needed data that came down the cable card channel.

In the end it was actually pretty trivial to setup the cable cards. The only complication was the tech didn't know what to do. It probably should have taken 90 minutes to do everything but it ended up taking 3.5 hours.

BTW - I have not had any real trouble with pixelation. Only 2 channels have had it (GSN and one other). I noted that the Tivo showed wide signal strength fluctuation on these two channels (not on other channels). One of the 4 taps on the 4-port splitter had nothing connected to it so I added a terminator. This eliminated the fluctuating signals and almost all of the pixelation. Also note that everything appears hot (rarely does a channel have under 100 for signal strength). However this does not appear to be causing any harm.

Summary:
- Verizon router does not need to be your primary router. It works fine as a secondary router for TV only (remember to shut off it's wireless).
- The TechWizard application cannot be used to activate the Tivo's
- The tech needs to use the old style cable card setup tools (web)
- A Pod ID is the cable card Host ID

Moving from SD DirectTv to FiOS Extreme HD is amazing. While I realized I was not watching a good quality signal I have to confess I didn't realize just how terrible it was. Once the MRV speed of the Tivo HD was fixed I was ready to move off my old HDVR2 Tivo's (which had all kinds of goodies in it that I didn't want to loose).

Thanks for all the nuggets of information in this thread. It helped quite a bit in ensuring that I knew the right questions and could help the tech puzzle out the bits he didn't know/understand.
tornZorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #1644
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornZorak View Post
After reading tons in this thread I had Verizon over to upgrade an existing double play (with DirectTv/HDRV2) to a triple play (Tivo HD XL). Lots of good advice lead to a relatively easy installation. There were a few snags mostly due to the tech not knowing what to do. I thought I would summarize what happened so that others in the Boston area can be armed with that knowledge. <snip>
Nice post with lots of good info. Thanks for that.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #1645
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornZorak View Post
Hi Folks,
After reading tons in this thread I had Verizon over to upgrade an existing double play (with DirectTv/HDRV2) to a triple play (Tivo HD XL).
I think I may do the same thing here shortly. I think one of my big dilemmas is the Dtivos have been rock solid for me so I hate to fix what isn't broken. Not that the Tivo HD models are completely buggy but they seem to have more issues pop up at least on the forums. Of course that also comes with new software. Good to hear the install went smoothly though.

Were you able to use your existing Directv runs or did they have to run new lines for you? I have heard some issues with older Directv lines not being up to the standard of cable Fios needs
__________________
1 - TiVo Roamio Pro
2 - TiVo Premiere XL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #1646
tornZorak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I think I may do the same thing here shortly. I think one of my big dilemmas is the Dtivos have been rock solid for me so I hate to fix what isn't broken. Not that the Tivo HD models are completely buggy but they seem to have more issues pop up at least on the forums. Of course that also comes with new software. Good to hear the install went smoothly though.
Oddly about a year ago I had one of the Dtivos start to have severe pixelation on one of the tuners. I swapped out everything downstream of the Dtivo and it didn't improve - that means the tuner went bad. So I bought one off Ebay and life was good.

About three weeks ago my other Dtivo started having the same problem. Ugh. I decided I didn't want to go through yet another Ebay, get access card, etc experience. Perhaps it was time to really upgrade :-)

I really thought hard about buying the HD versus the HD XL. Huge price difference. However I couldn't have lived with the HD harddisk size so it would have been extra money to add more hard disks externally. The real decision was I was unwilling to crack open the case and do a proper upgrade because I didn't want to violate my warranty 1 day into ownership. Fortunately Amazon had/has really decent pricing on the XL so I ended up getting 2 of those.

They immediately updated to 11.0c and they've been rock solid. Granted they've only been running 2 weeks... but still absolutely no problems. Every bit as stable as the Dtivos were. The only minor nits are there are many more options on the screens so they are more cluttered and there are a few adds that I find offensive due to the fact that I pay for service.

However the nits are ignored due to Netflix support - brilliant! The quality is quite good and FiOS internet makes for a rock solid experience (streaming performance). Even the HD movies are perfect.

Quote:
Were you able to use your existing Directv runs or did they have to run new lines for you? I have heard some issues with older Directv lines not being up to the standard of cable Fios needs
Well I installed my previous DirectTv installation (dish, wiring, etc). As such I used RG6U-QuadShield on all wiring with home runs to a wiring panel in the basement. I believe this is what Verizon normally uses so they were able to reuse all of my wiring.

As long as you have decent wiring (RG6) you should be okay. Not sure if you'll have problems with RG59 especially if the runs are long. What kind of wiring do you currently have (it's printed on the cable)? How long are the runs (10', 75' 150')?
tornZorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #1647
bankshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornZorak View Post
After reading tons in this thread I had Verizon over to upgrade an existing double play (with DirectTv/HDRV2) to a triple play (Tivo HD XL). Lots of good advice lead to a relatively easy installation. There were a few snags mostly due to the tech not knowing what to do. I thought I would summarize what happened so that others in the Boston area can be armed with that knowledge.
We had FiOS installed here in southern California this past week, with a VERY similar experience to yours. Right down to Verizon insisting over the phone that they only have single-stream cards, but in reality the techs bringing multi-stream cards (yay).

We received our TiVo HD XL from Amazon.com a few days before FiOS installation and initially set it up for OTA. I made sure I forced it to update to the latest software so everything would be ready for the FiOS. It's our first TiVo after having used (or endured) two different DVRs from Time Warner Cable. I'll try to post general impressions of that separately after another week or two of use, but so far we're pretty impressed and excited.

In preparation for the FiOS install, I ran a Cat5e cable from my networking closet out to where the ONT would be installed. I wanted the flexibility of being able to use my own router as primary if I didn't like the one provided by Verizon. The tech was happy to connect the ONT via the Cat5e, though he did seem a little bit confused as to why I wanted it that way.

For the most part, I tried to stay out of the tech's way as he installed everything. We had the ONT installed outside, on the side of the house where electricity and POTS come in. The battery backup went inside the house on the other side of that wall, at the back of a high shelf in the kitchen where it could be easily hidden from view.

About 2 hours into the installation, he had the phone up and running on the fiber and was ready to move on to TV and internet. The Westell router was setup in my network closet, using the Cat5e from the ONT and the existing RG6 that was previously hooked up to my cable modem. After hooking up the router to my own network, internet was up and running.

For the cablecard install, he had to get a second tech to bring the card(s) because he didn't have any on his truck. They were planning to install 2 cards in the TiVo because like the people I'd spoken to on the phone, both techs believed they only had S-cards. I handed them the TiVo instruction sheet for cablecards and let them do their thing. They had to plug into my home network for connectivity on their laptop because apparently the cellular signal wasn't good enough here. Good thing I had an extra port wired in the family room!

Both techs seemed to be somewhat unfamiliar with the cablecard installation/activation process, but they eventually got it working. Both were surprised to see that the TiVo was reporting the first card as multi-stream. After initially trying to install and configure the second card, one of the techs decided to pull it out and try recording 2 channels with only the first card. That worked, confirming that they did indeed have M-cards. We're happy to save the $3.99/month on the second card.

Overall things went pretty smoothly, though it did take the quoted 4-6 hours when all was said and done. No issues with picture quality or with receiving any channels in these first 6 days or so. We're quite happy with the service so far, and the simultaneous switch from the Time Warner DVR to the TiVo has been fantastic as well.

On the internet side of things, I did decide to make my own router the primary router with the Westell sitting inside my network as a Cat5e-to-MOCA bridge. Works great and it saved me the hassle of applying all my custom configurations to the Westell. I will say that it seemed pretty solid from what I saw in its configuration pages, and more than likely it could have worked well as the primary router if I'd taken the time to configure it.

I, too, want to thank everyone who's shared tidbits of information on this thread and in this forum. I've been soaking up all the information here for several weeks in preparation for this install and the switch to the TiVo.
bankshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #1648
mae
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 183
Next FIOS Deal

For those of you considering the big switch, there was an insert in the bill I received today on their next offer (starts Sunday 6/21):

Good news: Free Compaq netbook ($299 value), customer pays tax and shipping

Bad News: New rate of $119, $10 more than current offer
A $50 activation fee
No 2 year price guarantee

So, to compare to the current $150 rebate, add $120 for 12 months and the activation fee of $50, it comes to $320 or $20 more for the netbook. There are rumors of an internet speed increase (not mentioned in the insert) and they might waive the $50 activation fee, since they have sometimes mentioned a $35 activation fee they didn't charge me in March. But there's still the lack of the 2 year guarantee, which could add significantly in the second year.

I've posted the whole insert at BBR, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22557296-Next-VZ-Offer

Hope this helps those deciding when/if to pull the trigger. I can say that I've had no problems with Verizon service or billing in the three months since I left Comcast. (I am still trying to get a final bill from Comcast and the ~$5.00 they owe me.)

Mark
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #1649
flynz4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Nice post with lots of good info. Thanks for that.
Rich,

Since you are on the same network as me (Portland Verizon Fios), I thought I would ask a few questions directly.

My current setup is 3 Verizon FIOS set top boxes/DVRs which I am replacing. I was too spoiled from my days using Tivo Direct TV boxes. I have been on FIOS for about 18 months, and it has been working great for internet/phone/TV. All three DVRs get their TV signal and network signal over the single coax cable.

I have ordered, and waiting for a Tivo HD XL, and two Tivo HDs. I am not too sure when they will be arrive, but they should certainly be here by early July... and I would like to schedule an equipment change at that time.

Here are my questions:

1) I do not have separate internet drops to each of the 3 locations. I can wire to two of them if necessary... but the third is virtually impossible. I know that I can use the WiFi adapters from Tivo (and I will have them available). Should I use them or should I run hard wired internet connections to two of the Tivos?

2) Related to #1, is there any way to get the internet signals off of the existing coax runs to the the FIOS DVRs? I assume that the Tivo does not have an internal tap to the internet signal.

3) How long in advance should I call Verizon for an installation? Is the lead time long enough that I should make an appointment before my equipment arrives?

4) I believe that you have M Cable cards. Should I request those? If so, will I need 3 or 6 for my three Tivos?

5) If I hook up my new Tivos by myself before I have cable cards... will I be able to see anything on the FIOS netowrk?

6) Is there any way to increase my storage of Tivo recordings onto some NAS storage array's that I have on my home network already?

That's it for now. Thanks in advance.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #1650
Phantom Gremlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
1) I do not have separate internet drops to each of the 3 locations. I can wire to two of them if necessary... but the third is virtually impossible. I know that I can use the WiFi adapters from Tivo (and I will have them available). Should I use them or should I run hard wired internet connections to two of the Tivos?
The WiFi adapter works great for letting a TiVo HD download its guide info. However, in my case my wireless signal level is marginal enough that I can't transfer HD recordings in anything approximating real time between one hard wired TiVo HD and one WiFi TiVo HD.

Read the sticky messages above for more details about transfer speed. If fast program transfer is important to you, the WiFi might not be good enough.

Quote:
2) Related to #1, is there any way to get the internet signals off of the existing coax runs to the the FIOS DVRs? I assume that the Tivo does not have an internal tap to the internet signal.
There are MoCA adapters which can get Internet over coax, provided you have things set up properly. Here is a thread discussing that. The NIM100 is now hard to get, but there are other brands available (you will have to do further research on your own; I don't personally use MoCA and don't have detailed knowledge).

Using something like a NIM100 you don't even need a diplexer to tap the signal. The NIM100 has a coax pass thru, so all you would need to do is wire it in series between the coax wall outlet and your TiVo HD.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |