TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #61
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanU View Post
The TiVo was a factory restored unit that TiVo sent me to replace my defective Series 2.
heh, maybe they mixed in a demo unit to the refurb pile by accident adn when you unsubbed it the Tivo servers looked in some dark corners for that TSN and found that different status.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #62
lafos

Has anyone published a list of the status codes? My status G has a six-digit number next to it that sorta looks like a dat in yymmdd format, but it makes no sense. Brennan's I status just has a hyphen. Does that mean anything?
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #63
fallingwater

Smile Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanU View Post
Ok. As stated by everyone on the forums, after the initial trial, all of the TiVo features (including manual recordings) stopped working. I left it plugged in to watch all the shows I recorded during the trial. Today, I checked it again, and manual recordings now work! (However none of the other features work [MRV, Season Passes, Guide Data, etc]).

I have made a video and placed it on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA1mqRrPqUo

Here is a copy of the System Information Screen:

Does anyone know what the I:- service level means? Is that manual recording only?

Brennan
Well, this is interesting!

I have a 240 version S2 TiVo which at one time had Lifetime Service. It is running TiVo s/w version 8.1-01-2-140 and hasn't communicated with TiVo since before its Lifetime Service ended. The last time it succesfully contacted TiVo was Jan. 23, 2008. It hasn't been plugged in since soon after May 15, 2008 when a manual recording was made. It shows TiVo Service Level: I: -

Today I plugged the 240 S2 in and let it boot up. It works fine. It shows a TiVo Service Interrupted nagscreen when the Info button is pushed or when returning to Live TV from TiVo Central. When the Guide button is pushed it shows a different TiVo service interrupted message (Service Message 100) which requires the Select button to exit to TiVo Central.

Pushing the Record button offers Record this Program at Best Quality which works and can be modified (extended or made KUID) in Now Playing while the recording is in progress. However if the screen's other option, Season Pass & other options, is selected the box stops responding to the remote completely and must be manually rebooted to restore remote functionality after which it works fine again.

Go figure!

(BTW, setting up future Manual Recordings through the Find Programs screen also works. After almost a year the clock is 10 minutes fast.)

Last edited by fallingwater : 01-13-2009 at 03:38 PM.
fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #64
timckelley
TCFer

My old S1 (before it broke) could not only do manual records while unsubbed, but I could connect to the mother servers to keep the clock accurate and in synch, and manual recordings still worked fine. As I recall, even the KAM feature worked, as did the To Do List, and repeating recordings worked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #65
TooMuchTime

Quote:
Has anyone published a list of the status codes? My status G has a six-digit number next to it that sorta looks like a dat in yymmdd format, but it makes no sense.
Mine looks like this: C: nnnnnn. It actually looks like MMDDYY format. It may mean "Current: until this date." That is, until your credit card gets charged again. Not sure what G: is - are you sure it's not C: and you're just misreading it? I've read somewhere that someone saw a J:, K:, and P: in the service level. So, we've got six to decipher.

C: nnnnnn (Current until date?)
G: nnnnnn (unknown)
I: - (Inactive?)
J: nnnnnn (unknown)
K: nnnnnn (unknown)
P: - (unknown)

Of course, with all those letters used, the letter may have no meaning (C=Current) other than just being a code. It's like trying to decode a Vehicle Identification Number without the key.
TooMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #66
rrram2
DVR SUPER USER

Tivo hardware question, I am considering getting one

Even though I love the DVR that comes with the direct tv subscription,
I am sure this DVR thing costs me at least $9.99/mo

Anyone know off hand what the biggest Harddrive available is, in the latest TiVo Hardware?

rrram2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #67
classicsat
Astute User

Series 2 DT: 80GB
TiVo HD: 160GB
TiVo HD-XL: 1TB
The HD models can have a certain 500GB HDD added.

Of course, you can self expand all models on your own, or with the assistance of a TiVo upgrade company.

Only the Series 2 DT (of the current line), works with DirecTV.
The HD models (including the discontinued Series 3, which as a 250GB HDD BTW).

The base TiVo service cost is $12.95/month for the first, and $9.95 for each additional, with prepay and Product Lifetime discounts for either.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #68
kwsmith2

Is it possible to serve video to your Tivo without a subscription. I have a tivo upstairs that I never record anything on. I only watch things recorded downstairs after transfer.

Can I cancel the service and still transfer?
kwsmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #69
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsmith2 View Post
Is it possible to serve video to your Tivo without a subscription. I have a tivo upstairs that I never record anything on. I only watch things recorded downstairs after transfer.

Can I cancel the service and still transfer?
No without a sub the TiVo is a paper weight (almost).

Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #70
Mattiekrome

I've been using my old series 2? w/out a sub for nearly a year (will be a year next month) to do manual recordings. I dont have the specifics of it, but it was purchased around the Oct/Nov 2004 timeframe. The clock time is around 1 hr 15 minutes off (daylight savings time), but if you plan it out it works like a charm.
Mattiekrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #71
classicsat
Astute User

TiVo can do that, often as a circumstance of being disconnected from the network/phone before service is canceled. Some features eventually disappear, including network transfer, as well if it does call home, it will find its actual sub status and operate as such.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #72
BrennanU

Just an update on my unit. I (probably stupidly) decided to hook up my network adaptor and let the unit call in to update the time, and now it will not allow manual record. The service status is now Gsome sort of date code). I believe that it is the date the sub on it was set to expire. I may try a few different guided setup options and see if I can get it working again.
BrennanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #73
timckelley
TCFer

Uh oh, I think once that happens, you're SOL unless you subscribe. I guess you could do a minimum one year sub and let it expire again, and make sure it doesn't call in.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #74
BrennanU

Yea, that was probably rather stupid. The thing that gives me hope is that I did call in once, which seems to be what enabled manual recordings. Also, if i remember correctly, when I reran guided setup the last time, it wouldnt work for the first few weeks, but one day it started working.
BrennanU is offline   Reply With Quote