TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #1201
BJezz

That does sound about the point that the buffer would fill. If you watch a video that has stopped but start watching from just before the point it stopped last time, I'm guessing that it would continue past the point that it froze last time. This would indicate that something is preventing Streambaby from rebuffering when you hit this point, but I don't know what that might be.

Does the position bar update correctly when playing a video? If not, this might indicate that Streambaby is not able to track where you are in the video.
BJezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #1202
mphtrilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJezz View Post
That does sound about the point that the buffer would fill. If you watch a video that has stopped but start watching from just before the point it stopped last time, I'm guessing that it would continue past the point that it froze last time. This would indicate that something is preventing Streambaby from rebuffering when you hit this point, but I don't know what that might be.

Does the position bar update correctly when playing a video? If not, this might indicate that Streambaby is not able to track where you are in the video.

Yes it tracks the time, but then it freezes at the 1 hour or so mark of the video. I can rewind until that point, but it cannot play past that point. If I try to fast forward past the buffer it reboots and starts at the beginning.

Last edited by mphtrilogy : 05-21-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: updating
mphtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #1203
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
No it freezes. I can rewind, but it cannot play past that point. If I try to fast forward past the buffer it reboots and starts at the beginning.
Is this for all files or unique to one? Is it possible the file is corrupt / making ffmpeg crash when it gets to that certain point? I think you'll see that behavior if ffmpeg fails at a certain point in the movie...

I don't think you ever answered these questions:

1) What file format are these files? mp4? .tivo? mpeg? avi? etc...
2) Can you approximate how many gigs in is the 'problem point' in the movie?
3) can you run something like 'ffmpeg -i <filename>' so we can see what ffmpeg reports about it?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #1204
mphtrilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Is this for all files or unique to one? Is it possible the file is corrupt / making ffmpeg crash when it gets to that certain point? I think you'll see that behavior if ffmpeg fails at a certain point in the movie...

I've tried it for about 5 files.
mphtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #1205
kearygriffin

Quote:
And if you are retesting it makes sense to turn on streambaby debugging first and then post the log again. Instructions for turning on the log is detailed here:
debugging_problems

kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #1206
pmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Could you try the new SVN version I just uploaded:
http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r237.zip

It seems that symind.tivo.com is using a self-signed SSL certificate so streambaby would reject the connection. I've added some code to accept self-signed SSL certificates.

I've also activated some more debugging that got lost when I was integrating moyekj's port of mind.java with streambaby.
Your new version works perfectly. The extra debug text is useful too. Thank you for fixing it so quickly.
pmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #1207
cleverdevil

Binaries for OS X?

I'd love to use this, but I am a pretty busy guy these days, and don't really want to spend the time and effort to get everything compiled. I would love to see a set of binaries for the library dependancies, or better yet an installer package that installed everything for me.

At the very least, would anyone be willing to upload a tar.gz of their dependancies for Streambaby somewhere for OS X 10.5 so that I could download it?
cleverdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #1208
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverdevil View Post
I'd love to use this, but I am a pretty busy guy these days, and don't really want to spend the time and effort to get everything compiled. I would love to see a set of binaries for the library dependancies, or better yet an installer package that installed everything for me.

At the very least, would anyone be willing to upload a tar.gz of their dependancies for Streambaby somewhere for OS X 10.5 so that I could download it?
These things don't come cheap you know...

But if you're willing to pony up $0.00, then you should look at pyTivoX: http://code.google.com/p/pytivox/

Speaking of which, is it ok if I edit the installation document to tell mac people about it? I guess it's not as obvious as I assumed...

Old 05-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #1209
kearygriffin

Quote:
Speaking of which, is it ok if I edit the installation document to tell mac people about it? I guess it's not as obvious as I assumed...
Please feel free. You can put a link somewhere near the top of the front page, and anywhere else you think is appropriate.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #1210
Yoav

Quote:
Please feel free. You can put a link somewhere near the top of the front page, and anywhere else you think is appropriate.
doh. Looks like although I'm a project member I don't have admin bits to the front page.

Can you just toss in a short link under "Getting Started" saying something like "Mac users should just download and install http://pytivox.googlecode.com/ which includes streambaby" or somesuch

Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #1211
moyekj

Quote:
doh. Looks like although I'm a project member I don't have admin bits to the front page.

Can you just toss in a short link under "Getting Started" saying something like "Mac users should just download and install http://pytivox.googlecode.com/ which includes streambaby" or somesuch
Keary, while you are at it can you fix the "Getting Started" link of the home page? Right now it points to the web editor so for most people it doesn't work. It should point to the following url instead:
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...etting_started
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #1212
BJezz

mphtrilogy, did you rip these videos yourself? It's just that if you have ripped a set of videos from DVD for example, but there's a problem with the program or settings used to rip them, this may be be specific to your ripping process. We may be able to replicate the issue. But if these videos are of different types or from different sources then it really points to a problem with your Streambaby installation. Obviously Streambaby works for most people, so we need to isolate what is different in your case that's causing this problem. It may be something to do with your setup or your videos. The more you can tell us, the more likely it will include a clue that will help one of us realise what the issue is.

If it is an option, you can PM me and we can arrange a way to send me a video. I'll happily try it and report back.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #1213
Kiotie

Ubuntu Server w/ Streambaby

Sorry to take your thread off topic but I'm not sure where else to turn. I'm a linux novice but trying to make the effort to switch and not take the easy path with windows.

I can't seem to get streambaby working under ubuntu server 8.04LTS. From a fresh install here is my procedure:

1. sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
2. sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
3. download and extract streambaby in my home directory.
4. edit streambaby.ini:

#
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#

dir.1=/home/user/Videos
dir.1.name=Movies
#dir.2=/media/disk
#dir.2.name=External Drive
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
#ip=192.168.1.2
# port to use
#port=7290

5. Execute streambaby.

Whether I run the program as myself or root it starts up and appears to be ready to go but the Tivo does not see it. I thought maybe it was some issue specific to server so I tried it on my labtop which runs Ubuntu 9.04 and I get the same results. On Windows I follow pretty much the same procedure and it works every time.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.
Kiotie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #1214
cleverdevil

Quote:
These things don't come cheap you know...

But if you're willing to pony up $0.00, then you should look at pyTivoX: http://code.google.com/p/pytivox/

Nice! Thanks, I don't know why I didn't see this. It should definitely be linked from the StreamBaby website, so that folks like me find it :P
cleverdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #1215
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiotie View Post
Sorry to take your thread off topic but I'm not sure where else to turn. I'm a linux novice but trying to make the effort to switch and not take the easy path with windows.

#
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#

dir.1=/home/user/Videos
dir.1.name=Movies
#dir.2=/media/disk
#dir.2.name=External Drive
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
#ip=192.168.1.2
# port to use
#port=7290
Whether I run the program as myself or root it starts up and appears to be ready to go but the Tivo does not see it. I thought maybe it was some issue specific to server so I tried it on my labtop which runs Ubuntu 9.04 and I get the same results. On Windows I follow pretty much the same procedure and it works every time.
Ubuntu 8.04LTS was the version of Linux streambaby was developed on, and 9.04 is what I am currently running, so I am sure it works on those versions.

-- The first thing I would try is uncommenting the ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx line in streambaby.ini (remove the #) and manually settting it to the IP you want streambaby to bind to (the main IP address of your linux system). I need to do this on my machine or Java likes to bind to the wrong IP.

-- Make sure you are running the latest (.27 I think, or the latest SVN version) as the older versions had difficulty on Linux systems with IPV6 enabled.

-- If none of the above solves the problem, are the Linux boxes on the same network segment as the Windows box (and the TiVo)? If you have some kind of router/bridge in between the linux boxes and the TiVo the broadcast may not make it to the TiVo. (I had this issue when I had a linksys router acting as a WiFi client bridge in front of the TiVo)

Old 05-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #1216
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverdevil View Post
Nice! Thanks, I don't know why I didn't see this. It should definitely be linked from the StreamBaby website, so that folks like me find it :P
Should be there now, as well as the fix to the link moyekj suggested.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #1217
reneg

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
When you are playing a video with Streambaby, enter the Slow key, the video goes into slow motion, if you press the pause key, the video resumes play at normal speed. I'd like to request that Streambaby emulate Tivo playback such that when playing a video, enter the slow key, the video goes into slow motion, and if you press the pause key, the video pauses. All other combinations of play/slow/pause seem to work like Tivo playback except this one.
I posted this a while ago and thought I'd try and figure it out on my own, but I have to say that I'm no Java expert. I got the following debug output when playing a video, pressing slow, and then pressing pause.
Code:
05/22/09 11:51:32 NewStatusBar: state=true
05/22/09 11:51:38 NewStatusBar: state=false
05/22/09 11:51:47 ViewScreen: code=9 rawcode=16784905
05/22/09 11:51:47 ViewScreen: speed=0.125
05/22/09 11:51:47 StreamBabyStream$StreamBabyStreamFactory: uri=com/tivo/hme/bananas/images720/shuttlebar_mode_slow.png
05/22/09 11:51:47 NewStatusBar: state=true
05/22/09 11:51:55 ViewScreen: code=8 rawcode=16784648
05/22/09 11:51:55 ViewScreen: speed=1.0
05/22/09 11:51:55 NewStatusBar: state=true
05/22/09 11:51:55 NewStatusBar: state=true
05/22/09 11:52:00 ViewScreen: code=4 rawcode=16777732
The code=9 is the slow key and it is setting the playback speed to 0.125 which plays the video in slow motion. The code=8 is the pause key, what I expect is the speed to be set to 0.0, but it is getting set to 1.0 which is normal playback speed.

Snippet from viewscreen.java:
Code:
case KEY_PAUSE:                                 // Toggle between pause and play modes
        if (stream.isPaused()) {
              stream.play();
              stream_speed = 3
              changeSpeed(1);
              displayStatusBar(true);
        } else {
              stream.pause();
              changeSpeed(0);
              displayStatusBar(true); // keep status bar displayed
              timeout_status = -1;
        }
        return true;
I cannot figure out how the playback speed is getting set to 1.0 unless the isPaused function is broken. I've looked at both the changeSpeed function as well as the HME SDK source code and the isPaused function in the HME SDK returns a boolean, return speed == 0;

What am I missing? It's probably just my lack of knowledge about java. Anyone have any ideas before I breakdown and install a java dev/debug environment?
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #1218
granroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The ffmpeg & handbrake samples given in the wiki page should produce natively streamable mp4 files if encoding from most common mpeg2 sources with AC3 audio. Maybe you should start with a video that is known to stream natively
Ah.. sure enough. That streamed perfectly with no additional transcoding. On that success, I redid my test encoding paying even closer attention to the example given and that worked as well. Perhaps I missed something in my first attempt?

Okay, so based on that, I have one set of known parameters that work. I suppose I could just experimenting with all of them to see what triggers the transcoding and what doesn't.

It seems like that should be unnecessary work, though. The code is already doing some sort of check on the parameters to decide if it passes some criteria.

So... is that part of the code available in source code or is it part of a closed-source extra lib? If it is available in source, can somebody point me to the right one? There are quite a few files in the SVN repo and I'm not sure where to start.
granroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #1219
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
What am I missing? It's probably just my lack of knowledge about java. Anyone have any ideas before I breakdown and install a java dev/debug environment?
I don't know-- But I just changed the line to read:
Code:
if (getLastSpeed() == 0)
instead of using isPaused()... Seems to do the trick. I've made the change in my local copy, so unless I end up finding a problem with it, it will be in the next release/SVN version.

I've also changed most other occurences of isPaused getSpeed to use getLastSpeed instead, hopefully I won't break anything.

(Note I didn't really look into this too much, except to confirm isPaused was returnging true while it was in slow-mode. It was easier just to make the change since getLastSpeed should return the correct value, as it is a value streambaby sets itself everytime it changes a speed)

Old 05-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #1220
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Ah.. sure enough. That streamed perfectly with no additional transcoding. On that success, I redid my test encoding paying even closer attention to the example given and that worked as well. Perhaps I missed something in my first attempt?

Okay, so based on that, I have one set of known parameters that work. I suppose I could just experimenting with all of them to see what triggers the transcoding and what doesn't.

It seems like that should be unnecessary work, though. The code is already doing some sort of check on the parameters to decide if it passes some criteria.

So... is that part of the code available in source code or is it part of a closed-source extra lib? If it is available in source, can somebody point me to the right one? There are quite a few files in the SVN repo and I'm not sure where to start.
This page does a pretty good job of describing what should work without transcoding:
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/..._compatibility

If you have a file that seems to meet those qualifications, but ends up transcoding, please post the mediainfo info for that file (there should be previous posts on how to do this, I'm not really familiar with the tool) and the information displayed when you type:
ffmpeg -i <filename>

Also if you could turn on the debug log, try to stream a problematic file, and post streambaby.log, we may be able to see from the log what the issue is:
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...gging_problems

Old 05-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #1221
Kiotie

Thanks kearygriffin, I downloaded .27 and added the IP to the config. Now the Tivo sees the streambaby application in the menu but still not working.

When I go into that menu I get the following error code:

An error occurred while running the application. HTTP failure (Http connection error. 0x50005).

Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #1222
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiotie View Post
Thanks kearygriffin, I downloaded .27 and added the IP to the config. Now the Tivo sees the streambaby application in the menu but still not working.

When I go into that menu I get the following error code:

An error occurred while running the application. HTTP failure (Http connection error. 0x50005).

Any ideas?
It's probably one of two things-- Streambaby crashing (what do you see on the console?) You may want to turn on debugging as detailed in:
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...gging_problems

The other possibility is some kind of firewall issue. Assuming you haven't changed the port from the default (7290) you may want to try the following. (It sounds like you have multiple PC's on your network):

From the PC streambaby is running on, in a browser goto:
http://XXX.XXX.X.X:7290/streambaby/folder.png

Replacing XXX.XXX.X.X with the IP address of your PC.

You should see a little picture of a folder.

Then try the same from another PC on your network (leaving the IP address as the address running streambaby)

If it works on the local machine running streambaby, but not on the other machine, it would point to a firewall issue (I think...)

Old 05-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #1223
reneg

Quote:
I don't know-- But I just changed the line to read:
Code:
if (getLastSpeed() == 0)
instead of using isPaused()... Seems to do the trick. I've made the change in my local copy, so unless I end up finding a problem with it, it will be in the next release/SVN version.

I've also changed most other occurences of isPaused getSpeed to use getLastSpeed instead, hopefully I won't break anything.

(Note I didn't really look into this too much, except to confirm isPaused was returnging true while it was in slow-mode. It was easier just to make the change since getLastSpeed should return the correct value, as it is a value streambaby sets itself everytime it changes a speed)
Thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking. Will test your next release when it posted.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #1224
granroth

Quote:
This page does a pretty good job of describing what should work without transcoding:[snip]

If you have a file that seems to meet those qualifications, but ends up transcoding, please post the mediainfo info for that file (there should be previous posts on how to do this, I'm not really familiar with the tool) and the information displayed when you type:
ffmpeg -i <filename>

Also if you could turn on the debug log, try to stream a problematic file, and
Okay, I finally broke down and did some dedicated searching through the source code... and found what I was looking for. Apparently streambaby does a very minimal check for streamability. I was expecting some table of values, but all it looks for is:
  1. Container: MP4
  2. Codec: h.264
  3. Audio codec: AAC or AC3
  4. Audio bitrate: 44100 or 48000

That's it! Simple. Looking back, the reason my earlier example kept encoding was that I put it in an MKV container, thinking that didn't matter. That also explains why nobody would tell me the range of acceptable values -- there isn't a range!

So, cool. Everything works great as long as I stay away from my normal MKV containers.
granroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #1225
hfehawkeye

I sure hope this wasn't answered before.. if it was i'm sorry, I did try and search.

But, when I am playing a movie, that is about 4.5GB in size, it stops playing at around the 1 hour mark or so... Is there a limitation, should I rip the DVD in 1gb chunks? These are VOB files ripped using DVD Shrink. I can provide more info, if i Know what i need to provide...
hfehawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #1226
BJezz

Nobody has answered this yet as far as I know, but you're not the first with the problem.

The TiVo only has a limited buffer for streaming, so what's supposed to happen is when you exhaust that buffer you get a rebuffering message and a brief pause as the next buffer is started. As of yet we don't know if the reason this can happen is something to do with the Streambaby setup, or if it is something to do with the way that the videos are encoded.

Streambaby does rebuffer correctly on my machine, so I'm going to try out DVD Shrink and report back.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #1227
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfehawkeye View Post
I sure hope this wasn't answered before.. if it was i'm sorry, I did try and search.

But, when I am playing a movie, that is about 4.5GB in size, it stops playing at around the 1 hour mark or so... Is there a limitation, should I rip the DVD in 1gb chunks? These are VOB files ripped using DVD Shrink. I can provide more info, if i Know what i need to provide...
Sometimes there are glitches in the mpeg2 stream and Tivo will reject the stream. You should try copying the same video to your Tivo using pyTivo and see if it has a problem at the same point it stops in Streambaby. If that fails as well then that is the problem for sure.
If you run the stream through VideoRedo QuickStream Fix very often it will fix glitches and then will stream/copy fine to Tivo.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #1228
BJezz

I ripped a DVD with DVD Shrink and tested streaming the VOB with Streambaby and reproduced the problem. It stopped when it hit the end of the buffer and did not rebuffer.

I also noticed another significant difference. When I play a working video the timeline immediately shows the total duration of the video and the green bar gradually fills as the video downloads. Streambaby even permits you to fast forward beyond the buffered segment, automatically creating a new buffer when you press play.

However, the DVD Shrink VOB only showed the video duration as the amount currently streamed. As more video was streamed in the duration increased. This means that when the end of the buffer was hit, as far as Streambaby was concerned it was already at the end of the video. It appears that FFMPEG is returning a 0 duration for this file.

So there's probably nothing wrong with your Streambaby setup, but not sure that DVD Shrink is the best tool to use with it. Although I haven't tested this further, I suspect it might be more to do with VOB format than DVD Shrink.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #1229
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJezz View Post
However, the DVD Shrink VOB only showed the video duration as the amount currently streamed. As more video was streamed in the duration increased. This means that when the end of the buffer was hit, as far as Streambaby was concerned it was already at the end of the video. It appears that FFMPEG is returning a 0 duration for this file.
This indicates that the MPEG file itself is damaged. Run the MPG through a tool like VideoRedo's Quick Stream Fix and it will quickly resolve these little issues and produce a new MPG file that will stream correctly.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #1230
Kiotie

Quote:
It's probably one of two things-- Streambaby crashing (what do you see on the console?) You may want to turn on debugging as detailed in:
ttp://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...gging_problems

The other possibility is some kind of firewall issue. Assuming you haven't changed the port from the default (7290) you may want to try the following. (It sounds like you have multiple PC's on your network):

From the PC streambaby is running on, in a browser goto:
ttp://XXX.XXX.X.X:7290/streambaby/folder.png

Replacing XXX.XXX.X.X with the IP address of your PC.

You should see a little picture of a folder.

Then try the same from another PC on your network (leaving the IP address as the address running streambaby)
kearygriffin,

I tried your URL suggestion and I get a '404 page not found' error on the local machine as well.

I attached the debugs you requested from my Server and Desktop machines that I'm attempting this on. I'm guessing that I'm missing an addon application or that one is misconfigured. Unfortunately I'm lacking in Linux knowledge so I'm not sure where to look to make corrections. Please let me know if you see anything in the debugs.

Again, thanks for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ubuntu-gnome904.txt (2.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: txt ubuntu-server804.txt (2.8 KB, 7 views)