TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #91
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by parzec View Post
I really don't [FOR MORE INFORMATION ON COKE CLICK HERE] see what all the [SEE THE NEW LEXUS HERE] complaining is about. If somebody wants to promote a product [SEE THE LATEST ON THE MOXI DVR HERE] that is their right. I mean, we live in a capitalistic society [CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON MCONALDS McCAFE] and ads will gradually [HAVE YOU TRIED BLU-RAY - CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION] migrate to all forms of communication and products[PRESS PAUSE TO TEMPORARILY DISABLE THESE ADS]

yep, and if you had any new and informative content that I was willing to deal with the ads over then you could make some moeny and make the content even better.

However if you have nothing innovative otherwise then you fall by the wayside.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #92
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I really don't [FOR MORE INFORMATION ON COKE CLICK HERE] see what all the [SEE THE NEW LEXUS HERE] complaining is about. If somebody wants to promote a product [SEE THE LATEST ON THE MOXI DVR HERE] that is their right. I mean, we live in a capitalistic society [CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON MCONALDS McCAFE] and ads will gradually [HAVE YOU TRIED BLU-RAY - CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION] migrate to all forms of communication and products[PRESS PAUSE TO TEMPORARILY DISABLE THESE ADS]
Hmmm....I hit the down button and easily read your post

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:30 AM   #93
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionsetc View Post
Actually, consumer Beta died because Sony missed the boat on 4 and 6 hour tapes/record modes. Folks didn't care about quality but were desperate for more than a couple of hours of unattended recording.
And that is probably why my folks have so many Beta tapes. Good point, but people like my parents just bought more tapes. They must have influenced me a little too much, why settle for less than optimum?

And yes, optimum would probably be no ads. But I might just miss a couple of them (probably no the belly band, I have not clicked on that one - could someone let me know what that is good for?)>
daveak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:40 AM   #94
caddyroger

Quote:
Just used the scroll down wheel and poof no more reading your post.
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 AM   #95
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
Assuming you actually get an actual service contract with the Moxi purchase, I would read it very carefully. Just where do they promise in writing that you will never see ads on the stand alone box they are selling? (I have not been able to find this in writing). I am hopeful someone can make this clear to me - after all, without a monthly sub base - what incentive do they have to keep you happy after you purchase their box?
You're a smart guy. What's really going to be a shame is all the folks who will be up-in-arms when Moxi does something that they don't like, that they assumed Moxi promised they would not do (when Moxi never really promised that at all).
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #96
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I don't mind the pause ads/extras. I just wish you could default it to "hide extras".
Old 05-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #97
timckelley
TCFer

Any chance that the slippery slope has been crossed, and the next step is that we'll start seeing banner ads under our shows as the show is playing (thus taking a strip of space out from the bottom of our screen)? If that ever happens, that will be really annoying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #98
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
Any chance that the slippery slope has been crossed, and the next step is that we'll start seeing banner ads under our shows as the show is playing (thus taking a strip of space out from the bottom of our screen)? If that ever happens, that will be really annoying.

and how fast do you think TiVo subscriptions would also slide down that slope as well? Which leads to the next question - "Why on earth would TiVo do something like that which would quickly devalue the ad being there in the first place?"
Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #99
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
and how fast do you think TiVo subscriptions would also slide down that slope as well? Which leads to the next question - "Why on earth would TiVo do something like that which would quickly devalue the ad being there in the first place?"
The answer, were that particular scenario to occur, would be because every other digital video receiver/recorder/downloader/player is doing the same thing, and there's no way for anyone to avoid the ads, if they want to watch the show.

On the other hand, a strip of cardboard would defeat those particular ads pretty quickly.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #100
ppartekim

I don't particularly like the new ads either but I will live with them until they get too abusive. Tivo needs to make money and they are not making it from me anymore. I bought two Series 1 Tivos with lifetime agreements like close to 10 years ago (so long, I don't remember tv without them).

Granted I have upgraded them to Series 2 and now Series 3 but other than that I have not paid anymore for the Tivo subscription so where are they going to get there money if not from ads or raising the price for everyone else (and unless they cancel the lifetime, there will be no more from me).
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #101
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
On the other hand, a strip of cardboard would defeat those particular ads pretty quickly.
Then the next thing you know, they'll start rotating where the strip ads appear (bottom, top, left, right). They just really want us to watch those ads.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #102
net114
Tivolitic Guru

Well I don't LIKE the ads, I think they're annoying, but I would feel better about them if I knew Tivo was doing this because its a crucial revenue stream to keep them alive.

That said, I don't mind the ads as much as the VERY intrusive way the "emergency broadcast" messages throw me out into live tv. THAT is a serious intrusion and should be fixed to at least show on top of my recorded program. (I assume the emergency messages are required or something...so at least don't force me out of what I'm watching).
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #103
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I love my TiVo am still a devoted fan, but color me annoyed at this new direction. I have tolerated all the ads up until now without complaint, but these new "pause ads" are simply too intrusive, and I find the blatant pandering for money from advertisers to be somewhat offensive. I'm frankly shocked that TiVo would do something so sleezy. Up until now the product has had a lot of class and sophistication. I'm very disappointed at this new direction.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #104
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by net114 View Post

That said, I don't mind the ads as much as the VERY intrusive way the "emergency broadcast" messages throw me out into live tv. THAT is a serious intrusion and should be fixed to at least show on top of my recorded program. (I assume the emergency messages are required or something...so at least don't force me out of what I'm watching).
Agree 100% about the Emergency interrupts. My comcast DVR puts up a "ER" message on the display letting you know what is happening at least. It's the only way I would know that my TiVo had not simply "crashed". Our S3's simply go blank and do NOTHING for a short while, gives no indication of what it's doing or why, and then kicks you out to live TV. Definitely not cool.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #105
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Agree 100% about the Emergency interrupts. My comcast DVR puts up a "ER" message on the display letting you know what is happening at least. It's the only way I would know that my TiVo had not simply "crashed". Our S3's simply go blank and do NOTHING for a short while, gives no indication of what it's doing or why, and then kicks you out to live TV. Definitely not cool.
I agree that there should be some kind of indication of what's going on. The first time I saw an emergency interrupt, they were testing the system (nice that I'm forced to watch the test ). When the test ended, I was stuck on a local community channel for about a minute with the remote not working. I was just about to pull the plug when control was returned to me.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #106
parzec
Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I'm frankly shocked that TiVo would do something so sleezy. Up until now the product has had a lot of class and sophistication. I'm very disappointed at this new direction.
Well put...IMO it is an undignified interface at this point.

I do get the sense that TiVo is double-dipping by collecting subscription revenue and ad revenue. In any event, they have completely undermined their original slogan "TiVo: Television Your Way" -- it should now be "TiVo: Television Our Way or the Highway"

General Questions to Avoid Pause Ads: Would rolling back the software to an earlier version be a viable solution to the ad-problem? Would there be any significant loss of functionality/stability? What would be the best version to go back to on a Tivo HD?
HR10-250 - Un-Subbed
parzec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #107
RoyK

Quote:
Well put...IMO it is an undignified interface at this point.

I do get the sense that TiVo is double-dipping by collecting subscription revenue and ad revenue. In any event, they have completely undermined their original slogan "TiVo: Television Your Way" -- it should now be "TiVo: Television Our Way or the Highway"

General Questions to Avoid Pause Ads: Would rolling back the software to an earlier version be a viable solution to the ad-problem? Would there be any significant loss of functionality/stability? What would be the best version to go back to on a Tivo HD?
To paraphrase a cliche' You can't go back. At least not for long. If you had a hard drive with an old version and installed it then it would very quickly update to the latest version.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #108
timckelley
TCFer

Yes, at this point you just have to lie back and enjoy those ads.

So far they don't bug me, because I'm not forced to look at them. For example, when you hit <pause>, then when you're ready to resume, as long as you hit <play> and not <select>, the show will resume with no ad.

If they ever start ads crawling across your screen in the middle the show, then that would bug me bigtime. Hopefully it never comes down to that.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 05-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #109
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I went ahead and emailed to the address posted earlier in the thread. Here is her response:

Quote:
Hi Barry,

Thank you for sending us your story and taking the time to write. I will pass along your thoughts on the Ad menus immediately, as we are always open to the suggestions of customers.

Best,

Jessica Loebig
Public Relations Coordinator
TiVo Inc.

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:18 PM
To: Jessica Loebig (jloebig@tivo.com)
Subject: Absolutely HATE the new Pause Ads...

I HATE the new Pause Ads. I love my TiVo am still a devoted fan, but color me annoyed at this new direction. I have tolerated all the ads up until now without complaint, but these new "pause ads" are simply too intrusive, and I find the blatant pandering for money from advertisers to be somewhat offensive. I'm frankly shocked that TiVo would do something so sleezy. Up until now the product has had a lot of class and sophistication. I'm very disappointed at this new direction.

If this continues you will lose a customer that you have had since the Series 1. Is there any possibility of offering an "Ad free" service for a couple of bucks a month? Is there any alternative available? I beg you to reconsider this new direction you have chosen. I think in the long run it's going to cost you more money than it makes.
Hey worth a shot. Anyone who wants to email her, she is at: jloebig@tivo.com
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #110
MickeS

Quote:
I think you mean "bend over and enjoy".
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #111
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
"TiVo: Television Your Way" -- it should now be "TiVo: Television Our Way or the Highway"
I'm sorry, but that made me LOL.
Quote:
Yes, at this point you just have to lie back bend over and enjoy those ads.
FYP.

ETA: Damn you, MickeS!

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #112
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I have to say, I fall on the side that this doesn't bother me (much) because I rarely ever pause. If I do, it's because I want to look at something and I've always had to clear the screen anyway (because of the progress bar).

However, I feel that TiVo is on the verge of crossing the line. As has been documented before, ads first started on Tivo Central. Next, it was at the bottom of the NPL. After that, at the bottom in show folders (if you group your NPL). Now it's the pause screen.

We have to draw our line here.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #113
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
More like "bend over and take it"
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #114
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
More like "bend over and take it"
To tell the truth, my wording was deliberate and was meant as a facetious joke referencing the Texas governor campaign back when Ann Richards was elected. Clayton Williams dropped out of the race, after the media publicized an off-color comment he made equating rape with bad weather: "As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it."

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 05-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #115
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
To tell the truth, my wording was deliberate and was meant as a facetious joke referencing the Texas governor campaign back when Ann Richards was elected. Clayton Williams dropped out of the race, after the media publicized an off-color comment he made equating rape with bad weather: "As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it."
Ouch.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #116
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Ouch.
Well really, I don't think my humor is much worse than "bending over and taking it". Both versions are referring to rape, after all.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 05-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #117
rdlm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Tupper View Post
I finally broke down and reprogrammed the pause button on my universal remote to run a two command macro ('pause' and 'down'). Presto, no more pause ads.
I did the same thing. But it traded the very annoying Pause Ads for a "bong" sound whenever Pause is pressed twice in a show. I can change Play to be "Up+Play", but it doesn't help for those in the family who press the Pause button as an Un-Pause command. While my Harmony One is a brilliant device, it isn't quite smart enough.
rdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:54 AM   #118
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Well really, I don't think my humor is much worse than "bending over and taking it". Both versions are referring to rape, after all.
No. No "ouch" concerning your humor. I was thinking about the pain that Clayton Williams had removing foot from mouth! I had not heard that bit of history before, but I can empathize with Mr. Williams concerning saying something that I immediately (or later) regretted.

There definitely is a divide between those who are not bothered by the ads and those who are. I personally don't see the ads being a cause to rally against. I would actually feel more violated (keeping with the rape theme) if this form of additional revenue were removed, and subscription rates increase. Having a Lifetime subscription, it wouldn't effect me immediately, but I'm not so short-sighted to see a Lifetime subscription for the rumored/hoped for Series 4 costing as much as or more than the hardware, if it is offered at all. I would hate to guess what recurring (monthly/annually) payments would be like.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #119
timckelley
TCFer

I'm a little confused by these pause ads you speak of. When I pause a show in progress, a message shows up saying like "More about <name of show you're watching". If you press <select> a screen comes up giving you the background of the show.

Are you guys seeing ads promoting a product or something? I'm not seeing that.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 AM   #120
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
I'm a little confused by these pause ads you speak of. When I pause a show in progress, a message shows up saying like "More about <name of show you're watching". If you press <select> a screen comes up giving you the background of the show.

Are you guys seeing ads promoting a product or something? I'm not seeing that.
Yes. Occasionally there will be 1 additional line of text for a product. Most of the programming I watch do not have advertisers that make use of this additional line, but I may see something from time to time.

It looks like tonight's Law & Order has an ad for an upcoming movie, "The Proposal" when I hit pause. It stated "Go Behind the Scenes of the Proposal". If I select it, I get a new screen with 3 options: View the trailer, View bloopers scenes, or View Behind the scenes with Sandra Bullock. Left arrow takes me back to the still paused show, exactly how I left it.
[sarcasm] Repulsive, isn't it? It makes me want to tear my hair out, gouge out my eyes and open a vein. [/sarcasm]

Actually, it doesn't bother me at all.