TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #481
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
The extra metadata appear in the XML version as well.
I think he's referring to the now playing XML, not the xml from the .tivo file. I'm pretty sure it's not doubled in there, but I *think* that the xml there isn't complete..

anyways, you can look at it by looking (using the beta) in

<user>/Library/Caches/iTiVo/XMLCache-IP

I'll try and see if I can use that... but right now I have a bunch of other crap on my plate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #482
mrowl

is 5 hours normal for 5GB of transfer via ethernet? Is there a faster app, or faster way to do this?
mrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #483
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrowl View Post
is 5 hours normal for 5GB of transfer via ethernet? Is there a faster app, or faster way to do this?
This question is answered in the iTiVo FAQ: http://code.google.com/p/itivo/wiki/FAQ

Short version. If you have a Series 3, then yes that's a bit slow. Try selecting a simpler format to convert to, and using a wired connection. If you have a Series 2, then that's probably about as fast as you'll get...

Old 05-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #484
mrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
This question is answered in the iTiVo FAQ: http://code.google.com/p/itivo/wiki/FAQ

Short version. If you have a Series 3, then yes that's a bit slow. Try selecting a simpler format to convert to, and using a wired connection. If you have a Series 2, then that's probably about as fast as you'll get...
thanks..

Any help with this error?

An invalid public movie atom was found in the movie.

its a quicktime error after a quicktime format transfer.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #485
Yoav

Quote:
thanks..

Any help with this error?

An invalid public movie atom was found in the movie.

its a quicktime error after a quicktime format transfer.
Is this happening for all your transfers or just one? It sounds like a bad mp4 file. Usually that only happens when the mp4 file was not written out completely (did you cancel a transfer partway through?)

Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #486
mrowl

Quote:
Is this happening for all your transfers or just one? It sounds like a bad mp4 file. Usually that only happens when the mp4 file was not written out completely (did you cancel a transfer partway through?)
that was the first transfer I tried (no cancel). I deleted the file and it is running again.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #487
mrowl

now, atomicparsley crashes about 3 hours into the transfer...
Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #488
Yoav

Quote:
now, atomicparsley crashes about 3 hours into the transfer...
AtomicParsley is run once the file is fully converted. It has been known to fail on some files. Usually even if it fails the resulting file is still good. However, sometimes that is not the case. You can disable AtomicParsley in the Prefs window (the metadata section) to avoid this problem.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #489
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

480x480 Playback

iTiVo v 1.7.7b3

Why does a recording downloaded H.264, 10mbps show dimensions of 480 X 480 in QT Player and play at 480x480 but when played in iTunes, it shows the proper aspect ratio?

Is there some option to make these play at the proper 640x480 in QT Player?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #490
Yoav

Quote:
iTiVo v 1.7.7b3

Why does a recording downloaded H.264, 10mbps show dimensions of 480 X 480 in QT Player and play at 480x480 but when played in iTunes, it shows the proper aspect ratio?

Is there some option to make these play at the proper 640x480 in QT Player?
resolution and aspect ratio are two independent values.

are you sure it's not 480x480 with a PAR of 4:3 ?

you can look at it with ffmpeg -i <filename>

I suspect quicktime is ignoring the PAR.. you may want to view it with VLC or MplayerOSX Extended...
If that's the case though, I don't know of any way to force quicktime to an aspect ratio..

Last edited by Yoav : 05-20-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #491
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
resolution and aspect ratio are two independent values.

are you sure it's not 480x480 with a PAR of 4:3 ?
Hmmm..., I always thought aspect ratio was calculated from the pixel dimensions. So, during playback, a (proper) player will distort 480x480 into 640x480 to get the Aspect Ratio right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav
I suspect quicktime is ignoring the PAR.. you may want to view it with VLC or MplayerOSX Extended...
I use QuickTime Player Pro because I can edit. I like to save clips on occasion. But I also like to play them back at the proper aspect ratio!

is 480x480 the native size for TiVo recordings?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #492
Yoav

Quote:
Hmmm..., I always thought aspect ratio was calculated from the pixel dimensions. So, during playback, a (proper) player will distort 480x480 into 640x480 to get the Aspect Ratio right?
Sort of, although it depends on the codec/container. In the case of mpeg-2 and mpeg-4, a 480x480 with a PAR of 4:3 will use up 640x480 pixels on a machine with square pixels. There are actually several aspect ratios encoded: The pixel aspec ratio will tell it what a pixel looks like. The display aspect ratio will tell it what the target display should be.
Quote:
I use QuickTime Player Pro because I can edit. I like to save clips on occasion. But I also like to play them back at the proper aspect ratio!

is 480x480 the native size for TiVo recordings?
I think it encodes at 480x480 if you use 'high' quality. I think 'best' quality uses 720x480, and 'low' uses something like 240x480 (you'll need to look it up for the actual numbers). If you record from a digital channel it will use whatever resolution it is given.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #493
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The disparities aren't quite that wide. "Best" is, I think, 544x480 on most TiVos -- only the DVD models go to full 704x480 or 720x480 -- and nothing goes as low as 240x480; maybe 352x480?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #494
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Date/Time Data in iTiVo

This is interesting... As noted previously, I use Multi-Room Viewing a lot. When I use the MRV feature to transfer a recording from one TiVo DVR to another, the recording, as seen in iTiVo, looking at the receiving DVR, shows a date/time corresponding to the time of the transfer, not the recording date.

Of course, the receiving TiVo itself still shows the correct date/time. Does iTiVo use the file modification date instead of the startTime/stopTime recording metadata?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #495
Yoav

Quote:
This is interesting... As noted previously, I use Multi-Room Viewing a lot. When I use the MRV feature to transfer a recording from one TiVo DVR to another, the recording, as seen in iTiVo, looking at the receiving DVR, shows a date/time corresponding to the time of the transfer, not the recording date.

Of course, the receiving TiVo itself still shows the correct date/time. Does iTiVo use the file modification date instead of the startTime/stopTime recording metadata?
For the main display, It uses whatever is enclosed in the CaptureDate tag.

For the metadata extraction air date, it uses the value in the originalAirDate tag.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #496
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Processing Already-downloaded Files

For back-up purposes, I have downloaded hundreds of episode of my wife's soap opera in decrypt format. Later I'll be uploading them again using pyTiVoX.

Is it possible, from a terminal command line or such, to process these already downloaded files? I'd like to try converting some of them to iPhone format, running them through comskip in the process.

Can anyone tell me how this might be done? Or would it be easier to just re-download them again from the original DVR, into the iPhone format, using comskip?
Old 05-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #497
Igor

Quote:
For back-up purposes, I have downloaded hundreds of episode of my wife's soap opera in decrypt format. Later I'll be uploading them again using pyTiVoX.

Is it possible, from a terminal command line or such, to process these already downloaded files? I'd like to try converting some of them to iPhone format, running them through comskip in the process.

Can anyone tell me how this might be done? Or would it be easier to just re-download them again from the original DVR, into the iPhone format, using comskip?
Yes, you can just run terminal commands to take cake of the processing for you.

The comskip command below will mark commercials in a movie file at movie-file-path and save them to an movie-file-path.edl file:

Code:
/Applications/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/comskip --ini=/Applications/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/comskip.ini --playnice <movie-file-path>
The mencoder command below will process the movie file at movie-file-path, skip parts indicated in the movie-file-path.edl file, and write out a new movie file movie-file-path-new:

Code:
/Applications/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/mencoder really-quiet -edl <movie-file-path.edl> -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg2:tsaf:muxrate=36000 -mc 1 -noskip -forceidx -oac copy -hr-edl-seek -o <movie-file-path-new> <movie-file-path>
You can read up on comskip and mencoder options on the web or simply copy arguments for mencoder out of the "Advanced" tab of the iTiVo preferences dialog. To convert forthe iPhone, set this up in iTivo, and then see what options you should pass to mencoder yourself. You can also use ffmpeg or any other conversion utility you have installed.

I found downloading without conversion fast and easy. iTiVo also tends to restart the whole process even if it fails on the last step. I simply cobbled a quick Perl script together to check directories for new files downloaded by iTiVo and then mark out commercials and process the files separately. If something fails, then I can fiddle with the already downloaded file as I wish.

If someone is interested in hacking the script, send me a message, and I'll reply with a copy. I am still fiddling with it a bit. Once I fee a bit more sure, I will release it.

Igor
itivo at ayradyss.org
Igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #498
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Dumb question that I haven't seen answered here or in the FAQ:

When you Subscribe to a show, should existing episodes of the show be added to the download queue, or should I have to go through and manually add each existing show to the d/l queue?

Apologies if this has been covered, and many thanks for an awesome program.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #499
roblight

"Keep At Most" option?

Is there a "Keep At Most" option when doing a season pass like on a real TiVo? If not, is it planned? Thanks!
roblight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #500
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblight View Post
Is there a "Keep At Most" option when doing a season pass like on a real TiVo? If not, is it planned? Thanks!
There is not. I currently do not plan to add support for iTiVo automatically deleting shows you have stored on your computer. I suppose if you feel brave enough you can write a folder action to delete old shows (depending on your definition of old).

Old 06-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #501
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post
Dumb question that I haven't seen answered here or in the FAQ:

When you Subscribe to a show, should existing episodes of the show be added to the download queue, or should I have to go through and manually add each existing show to the d/l queue?

Apologies if this has been covered, and many thanks for an awesome program.
Actually it's covered in the description of a subscription .

But yeah, subscriptions only add 'future' episodes of shows, and only add them once (so if you delete it it won't be added again). Old ones already on the tivo will not be added.

I suspect you're trying to download a bunch of shows of a series already on your tivo. the easiest way to do this is to the word 'show' at the top of the column. This will sort all your tivo shows by name.. so then you can shift-click all the shows to add them to the queue...

Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #502
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

I read that over and over, but it was ambiguous (to be at least) how shows already on the Tivo were covered. My line of thinking was that shows that had never been transferred were "new" to iTivo and therefore may be transferred.

I'm trying to d/l a bunch of old series and then every new episode going forward, so I'll add the subscriptions and then manually add the existing episodes to the queue. Not difficult at all, I just wanted to make sure that the program was acting as intended.

Thanks again for the great program and great support!

GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #503
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Multi-TiVo Subscriptions?

Are subscriptions from multiple TiVos supported? That is, if I connect to one TiVo and add a subscription, then connect to another TiVo and add a subscription, will iTiVo implode?

I don't know if the subscription mechanism stores info about which DVR a subscription is for. I'm guessing it doesn't.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #504
Yoav

Quote:
Are subscriptions from multiple TiVos supported? That is, if I connect to one TiVo and add a subscription, then connect to another TiVo and add a subscription, will iTiVo implode?

I don't know if the subscription mechanism stores info about which DVR a subscription is for. I'm guessing it doesn't.
It will implode

support for multiple tivos is very rudimentary right now: You select a tivo, and then stick to it (if you change tivo while you have things in the queue, it will start trying to download the shows from the wrong tivo, etc). Specifically, if you have a subscription that exists on both tivos when you switch to the new tivo, it will try and pull 'new' shows from that tivo, but then when you switch back, it will probably miss some old episodes etc..

So yeah.. no big explosions etc, but you may end up missing episodes if you swap back and forth *AND* the show exists on both tivos. If multi-tivo subscription support is important to you, I would suggest you try out Tivo Butler or kmttg (which is now much easier to install on a mac). Their interface is more complex, but at the same time, the complexity buys you extra functionality/power...

Old 06-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #505
europa00

Applescript errors

Hello,

I get an applescript error when launching iTivo:

DNSService call failed
No matching processes belonging to you were found (1)

If I click OK, and then click on the Prefs button, I get an Applescript error:

Canít get item 1 of {}. (-1728)

I've tried reinstall, reboot, etc... Any ideas?

Thanks,

E
europa00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #506
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa00 View Post
Hello,

I get an applescript error when launching iTivo:
What version of MacOS are you using?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #507
cptodd
Just Me!

So I did a little search for both "low volume" and "sound" but could not find anything that addresses my problem. For some reason when I use iTiVo to transfer shows the sound volume is quite low. Is there a way to fix this?
cptodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #508
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptodd View Post
So I did a little search for both "low volume" and "sound" but could not find anything that addresses my problem. For some reason when I use iTiVo to transfer shows the sound volume is quite low. Is there a way to fix this?
the conversion normally doesn't change the volume from source to destination. Except that for some devices, it was necessary to do as it was too low (example is the iphone conversion).

The downside to forcing volume 'up' is potential 'clipping' of the louder bits. But if you're certain that you want to up the volume, go to Prefs, select the download format you want. The rest of this instruction is assuming you pick a format that uses 'mencoder' as the encoder. If you're using a different encoder tell me and I'll see if I can figure out the correct options for it.

Go into 'advanced'. There, under 'audio options' ADD the following:
Code:
-af volume=13:1
Select ok, and try a new encode. If you like this you can save this as a new 'format' name for future use (otherwise, it will stay with that option until you change formats in the future)

Last edited by Yoav : 06-07-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #509
solutionsetc

lots of CURL timeout messages when downloading...

1.7.6 running on intel under 10.5.7. IS this normal? Files seem to be transferring ok other than constant messages to both console and system logs.

Code:
Jun  7 13:00:01 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 3   currentFileSize: 2262  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:01 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 0   currentFileSize: 2263  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:02 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 1   currentFileSize: 2263  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:03 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 2   currentFileSize: 2263  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:03 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 0   currentFileSize: 2264  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:04 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 1   currentFileSize: 2264  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:05 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 2   currentFileSize: 2264  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:05 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 3   currentFileSize: 2264  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:06 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 4   currentFileSize: 2264  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:07 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 5   currentFileSize: 2264  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:07 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 0   currentFileSize: 2265  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:08 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 1   currentFileSize: 2265  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:08 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 2   currentFileSize: 2265  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:09 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 3   currentFileSize: 2265  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:10 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 0   currentFileSize: 2266  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:10 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 1   currentFileSize: 2266  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:11 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 2   currentFileSize: 2266  fullFileSize:2680"
Jun  7 13:00:12 Work iTiVo[41195]: "curl++ timeout: 3   currentFileSize: 2266  fullFileSize:2680"

solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #510
europa00

Quote:
What version of MacOS are you using?
I'm running OS X Leopard with latest patches...
europa00 is offline   Reply With Quote