TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #631
NYHeel

I'm having trouble starting kmttg. I followed the windows installation instructions and the only thing I did differently was that I used c:\program files instead of c:\home. So my shortcut now looks like C:\Perl\bin\wperl.exe C:\Program Files\kmttg\kmttg.pl Any ideas why the shortcut isn't working.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #632
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I'm having trouble starting kmttg. I followed the windows installation instructions and the only thing I did differently was that I used c:\program files instead of c:\home. So my shortcut now looks like C:\Perl\bin\wperl.exe C:\Program Files\kmttg\kmttg.pl Any ideas why the shortcut isn't working.
To debug, open a cmd window and execute the following:
cd "c:\Program Files\kmttg"
perl kmttg.pl

Then the console will display any problems there may be, such as missing Perl/Tk module or something along those lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #633
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
To debug, open a cmd window and execute the following:
cd "c:\Program Files\kmttg"
perl kmttg.pl

Then the console will display any problems there may be, such as missing Perl/Tk module or something along those lines.
Thanks. I just added quotes around the shortcut and it worked. It probably didn't like the space between program and files. Oh well.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #634
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Thanks. I just added quotes around the shortcut and it worked. It probably didn't like the space between program and files. Oh well.
Makes sense. I've updated the documentation example to use quotes around the wperl path and the kmttg.pl path so hopefully this problem can be avoided in the future.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #635
atlanta-mike

Problem with "Add Files"

I must be doing something wrong. I can't get the "Add files" button to work. I first loaded the program on my WHS machine and figured it must be something with WHS. So I tried a Win-XP machine and got the same results. Here is some more info:

kmttg version - v0.5n
Pearl version - 5.8.0.802

I have tried a local drive path and the network path I really want, neither worked. When I click on the "Add files" button, I get the following message in the Pearl window:

Tk::Error: unknown option "-multiple", must be -defaultextension, -filetypes, -i
nitialdir, -initialfile, -parent or -title at Z:/Perl/site/lib/Tk.pm line 271.
Tk callback for tk_getOpenFile
[\&main::selectFileCB]
Tk callback for .top.addFile
Tk::__ANON__ at Z:/Perl/site/lib/Tk.pm line 228
Tk::Button::butUp at Z:/Perl/site/lib/Tk/Button.pm line 111
(command bound to event)

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Mike
atlanta-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #636
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta-mike View Post
I must be doing something wrong. I can't get the "Add files" button to work. I first loaded the program on my WHS machine and figured it must be something with WHS. So I tried a Win-XP machine and got the same results. Here is some more info:

kmttg version - v0.5n
Pearl version - 5.8.0.802

I have tried a local drive path and the network path I really want, neither worked. When I click on the "Add files" button, I get the following message in the Pearl window:

Tk::Error: unknown option "-multiple", must be -defaultextension, -filetypes, -i
nitialdir, -initialfile, -parent or -title at Z:/Perl/site/lib/Tk.pm line 271.
Tk callback for tk_getOpenFile
[\&main::selectFileCB]
Tk callback for .top.addFile
Tk::__ANON__ at Z:/Perl/site/lib/Tk.pm line 228
Tk::Button::butUp at Z:/Perl/site/lib/Tk/Button.pm line 111
(command bound to event)

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Mike
Sounds like older versions of Perl/Tk don't support the -multiple option in tk_getOpenFile function. Easy fix is to delete the "-multiple 1" on line 6181 of kmttg.pl v0.5n. Better fix if you want to be able to select multiple files at once from file browser is to upgrade to later version of Perl (I'm on 5.10).

Old 05-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #637
Morlane

New question for downloads

Is there any way to set up the background job to download ALL shows from the Tivo, rather than specifying specific programs?

I've got 3 people in the house that are trying to get stuff down to our individual PCs off of 2 Tivo's using Tivo Desktop. We constantly have problems with too many connections and/or one of our machines basically getting locked out and getting no downloads because the other 2 are always keeping it busy.

My idea is to use kmttg to be the sole download agent to get things off the Tivo's, decrypt them, and then allow us to pull just the shows we're interested in to our systems from the kmttg system.

I'd rather not have to specify every show, and have them all moved down so I can sort through them after decrypting.
Morlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #638
atlanta-mike

Quote:
Sounds like older versions of Perl/Tk don't support the -multiple option in tk_getOpenFile function. Easy fix is to delete the "-multiple 1" on line 6181 of kmttg.pl v0.5n. Better fix if you want to be able to select multiple files at once from file browser is to upgrade to later version of Perl (I'm on 5.10).
OK, loaded Perl 5.10 build 1004 and now when I click on kmttg.pl the command window opens for a split second and then closes and kmttg never opens. Any ideas? Do I need to reinstall kmttg after loading a new perl version?

Mike
Old 05-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #639
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta-mike View Post
OK, loaded Perl 5.10 build 1004 and now when I click on kmttg.pl the command window opens for a split second and then closes and kmttg never opens. Any ideas? Do I need to reinstall kmttg after loading a new perl version?

Mike
As documented, Perl 5.10 does not come with Tk, so it's likely you need to install Tk first. Follow instructions given here to install the Tk module.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #640
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlane View Post
Is there any way to set up the background job to download ALL shows from the Tivo, rather than specifying specific programs?
I will document this since it's been asked before. You setup a title with ".*" as the title keyword (without the quotes).

i.e. in auto transfers configuration:
Type=title title=.*

Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #641
atlanta-mike

Quote:
As documented, Perl 5.10 does not come with Tk, so it's likely you need to install Tk first.
Of course you where correct, and I even remember reading that way back earlier in the thread. I guess I chose version 5.8xx thinking it would be easier and never thought about the Tk package again.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 05-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #642
Morlane

Quote:
I will document this since it's been asked before. You setup a title with ".*" as the title keyword (without the quotes).

i.e. in auto transfers configuration:
Type=title title=.*
Excellent! Thanks much.
Morlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #643
tlc

web interface potential?

Could the kmttg design possibly support a web interface someday?
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #644
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Not sure what you mean exactly, but it's already possible to run kmttg on WAN side and still get access to 1 tivo. That's what the "wan http port" setting is for in the config.
(you need to port forward port 443=https to 443 of a tivo and some other port of your choosing to port 80 of the same tivo in your router setup)

Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #645
fyodor

Quote:
Not sure what you mean exactly, but it's already possible to run kmttg on WAN side and still get access to 1 tivo. That's what the "wan http port" setting is for in the config.
(you need to port forward port 443=https to 443 of a tivo and some other port of your choosing to port 80 of the same tivo in your router setup)
I think that he means the ability to run/control KMTTG from a machine other than the one on which it's running. So, someone has BIGFASTSERVER in garage/closet/office doing the extraction/transcoding, but is administering it from their laptop in the family room. I understand that this is probably too time consuming to implement, but it'd be a neat feature.

F
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #646
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
I think that he means the ability to run/control KMTTG from a machine other than the one on which it's running. So, someone has BIGFASTSERVER in garage/closet/office doing the extraction/transcoding, but is administering it from their laptop in the family room. I understand that this is probably too time consuming to implement, but it'd be a neat feature.

F
Something like VNC is a better option for that kind of thing. You run VNC server on machine you want to control (Windows, Linux, whatever) and a VNC client on any other machine (Windows, Linux, whatever) and you can get control of the server from any client so that you can then interact with any program that runs on the server. I use that almost every day. It's very similar to Windows Terminal Services if you are still not clear what I'm talking about but with cross-platform support.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #647
AudioNutz

Quote:
Interesting idea. It might be quite easy on the Mac side, because Apache is built into every version of the OS, but on the Windows side I can't remember if a web server is built into every OS. (Client)

On the other hand, I did write an application (on the Mac side) that allows me to monitor a "Status Log" via ssh, but it doesn't allow me to actually control KMTTG.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #648
moyekj

Still don't get what's being asked for that's not already possible. To recap what's already possible today is to run kmttg on a machine outside your LAN and still get access to Now Playing List of at least 1 Tivo on your LAN. With something like VNC it's already possible to take control of one machine from any other machine so you can run kmttg or any other application and display it back to wherever you are. I take advantage of those capabilities quite extensively already.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #649
tlc

Quote:
Still don't get what's being asked for that's not already possible. To recap what's already possible today is to run kmttg on a machine outside your LAN and still get access to Now Playing List of at least 1 Tivo on your LAN. With something like VNC it's already possible to take control of one machine from any other machine so you can run kmttg or any other application and display it back to wherever you are. I take advantage of those capabilities quite extensively already.
fyodor essentiallly nailed it. My BIGSLOWSERVER server is a headless linux box. I don't run X or any GUIs there.

Sometimes, such as now, I'm halfway around the world on a bad connection. I don't want to DL shows to my laptop, I want to DL them to my home server before they fall off the NPL. Even when I'm home, I'd prefer to DL shows directly to the server.

In any case, I didn't mean to make it sound like a feature request. I was just asking if the kmttg design has a clean split between the core functionality and the GUI which might enable such a feature.

For example, the bittorrent client "transmission" has a GUI form and also a daemon form with a web interface. Very useful for servers.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #650
camnito

Windows 7 x64 RC -- Problem with MEncoder

Hi,

First of all, let me say, thank you, for the great work you've done creating and making KMTTG available.

I was using KMTTG on my old P4 Win XP machine and had no issues, but I recently upgraded my PC and decided to try out Windows 7 x64 RC and have a couple of minor problems.

For those who are trying to do the same, please note that I could not get Perl 5.10 x86 or x64 working properly in Win7 x64. I think the problem was with Tk, because once I installed Perl 5.8 x64, everything was fine. I haven't tried downloading a show from the TiVo yet, but I can download the listings, so communication is fine. I was also able to encode a previously downloaded HD show to mp4, so that functionality is working fine as well.

So here is my problem: I tried to use Comskip and Comcut and about 45s to 1m into the Comskip, Windows 7 pops up and says that Mencoder/Mplayer has caused a problem and wants me to close it. Now if I just sit there and not acknowledge the pop-up, KMTTG shows Comskip cranking away, but obviously, as soon as I kill Mencoder, the Comskip process in KMTTG crashes.

I tried looking for a different version of Mencoder (well, there's no x64, but I found some sites that had made some mods to it), but nothing worked.

I would appreciate any insight you could provide.

Cam
camnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #651
AudioNutz

Quote:
fyodor essentiallly nailed it. My BIGSLOWSERVER server is a headless linux box. I don't run X or any GUIs there.

Sometimes, such as now, I'm halfway around the world on a bad connection. I don't want to DL shows to my laptop, I want to DL them to my home server before they fall off the NPL. Even when I'm home, I'd prefer to DL shows directly to the server.

In any case, I didn't mean to make it sound like a feature request. I was just asking if the kmttg design has a clean split between the core functionality and the GUI which might enable such a feature.

For example, the bittorrent client "transmission" has a GUI form and also a daemon form with a web interface. Very useful for servers.
What he said...
Plus, a way to remotely get status of what is currently being processed by the Auto Transfers.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #652
fixxit

Use a passworded share as destination

Speaking of BIGSLOWSERVER I'm trying to get my kmttg instance to use a network share that requires a password to mount. kmttg 0.5n is running in a VMWare VM that I access via VNC or RDP and that works nicely. I want to keep the VM as small as possible so I'm trying to get kmttg to write to a network share that requires a password to mount.

If I log into the VM as me the network share is mounted as V: and a manual crunch (my nickname for download, decrypt, comskip, reencode) works perfectly. But because the automatic download runs as a service (LocalService) it can't use the specified share and, unfortunately there's no open share to use instead.

Is there a way to have kmttg run as a specific user rather than LocalService? I tried to change the user to my username but the run failed.

Thanks!
fixxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #653
AudioNutz

Can you not map the drive?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #654
fixxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Can you not map the drive?
As I mentinoed it is already mapped as drive V:. But that only shows up if I'm logged in as me since mapping the drive requires a password. User LocalService can't map it. I could probably use tweakUI to give LocalService the password but I'd rather run the kmttg service as my user than spread my user's password around.

Can a service use a mapped drive? If I create a user on the file server called LocalService and sync the password on the client and server will it use the network share?

-Jason
fixxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 AM   #655
mcharkowski

Moyekj,

I finally got around to running the newer version of KMTTG and I'm glad to report that the addition of metadata via AtomicParsley works great!! That was a phenomenal upgrade for a lot of us. In addition to letting you know how well it works, I thought I'd also mention the one thing you could add to the current implementation (because I know you're always looking to add stuff, right?). The only piece of metadata that wasn't added was the TV show's season #. Tivo Desktop Plus does do it, so I figure that metadata must be in the file. So if you're ever bored and just itching for something to do, that's something that would be nice.

Thanks again for adding that feature, I can't tell you how much easier it makes it for those of us that use iPods.
mcharkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #656
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnito View Post
Hi,

So here is my problem: I tried to use Comskip and Comcut and about 45s to 1m into the Comskip, Windows 7 pops up and says that Mencoder/Mplayer has caused a problem and wants me to close it. Now if I just sit there and not acknowledge the pop-up, KMTTG shows Comskip cranking away, but obviously, as soon as I kill Mencoder, the Comskip process in KMTTG crashes.

I tried looking for a different version of Mencoder (well, there's no x64, but I found some sites that had made some mods to it), but nothing worked.

I would appreciate any insight you could provide.

Cam
It's not clear from this description what the problem is. Comskip does not use mencoder at all, comcut is the step that uses mencoder unless you have VideoRedo path configured in which case it used VideoRedo instead to do the cuts. If either comskip or comcut step crash kmttg should be spitting out an error message of some sort so can you determine which step is crashing?

Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #657
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxit View Post
As I mentinoed it is already mapped as drive V:. But that only shows up if I'm logged in as me since mapping the drive requires a password. User LocalService can't map it. I could probably use tweakUI to give LocalService the password but I'd rather run the kmttg service as my user than spread my user's password around.

Can a service use a mapped drive? If I create a user on the file server called LocalService and sync the password on the client and server will it use the network share?

-Jason
What happens when you put these in "Stored User Names and Passwords"?
What happens if the password for LocalService is the same as yours?
Can you run the service as your user account?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #658
camnito

Windows 7 x64 RC -- Problem with MEncoder

Quote:
It's not clear from this description what the problem is. Comskip does not use mencoder at all, comcut is the step that uses mencoder unless you have VideoRedo path configured in which case it used VideoRedo instead to do the cuts. If either comskip or comcut step crash kmttg should be spitting out an error message of some sort so can you determine which step is crashing?
Sorry, you are correct. I am not using VideoRedo and it is "comcut" that is crashing. The log says that comskip doesn't run and goes directly to comcut. The error appears after Windows kills mencoder.exe and it is a mile long but it starts with this:

*ERROR* comcut failed (exit code: 5) - check above C:\MeTiVo\kmttg\mencoder\mencoder.exe command
Limiting audio preload to 0.4s.
Increasing audio density to 4.
[mpeg @ 0x3647b80]invalid dts/pts combination

1 duplicate frame(s)!

and it ends with:

[mpeg @ 0x3647b80]Invalid timestamps stream=0, pts=137459232, dts=137459233, size=17651

1 duplicate frame(s)!
Couldn't realloc frame buffer(idx), abort

PARSE_MPEG12: add_frames(67947) failed, exit

I have tried running it on two different shows with the same results.

Thanks,

Cam
Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #659
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnito View Post
Sorry, you are correct. I am not using VideoRedo and it is "comcut" that is crashing. The log says that comskip doesn't run and goes directly to comcut. The error appears after Windows kills mencoder.exe and it is a mile long but it starts with this:

*ERROR* comcut failed (exit code: 5) - check above C:\MeTiVo\kmttg\mencoder\mencoder.exe command
Limiting audio preload to 0.4s.
Increasing audio density to 4.
[mpeg @ 0x3647b80]invalid dts/pts combination

1 duplicate frame(s)!

and it ends with:

[mpeg @ 0x3647b80]Invalid timestamps stream=0, pts=137459232, dts=137459233, size=17651

1 duplicate frame(s)!
Couldn't realloc frame buffer(idx), abort

PARSE_MPEG12: add_frames(67947) failed, exit

I have tried running it on two different shows with the same results.

Thanks,

Cam
OK that's clearer now. kmttg is likely skipping comskip step because the .edl file from comskip is already in place. The problem is that mencoder doesn't like the video file to be cut. That's not very uncommon for recordings originating from cable companies. You will need to run an mpeg GOP fixer on those mpeg files to fix those errors mencoder is reporting. VideoRedo is the best utility out there I know of - run QuickStream Fix to fix those kinds of errors. There may be others but I haven't heard conclusive evidence of a good free utility to do it. Using VideoRedo this kind of issue won't happen as you can setup kmttg to 1st run QSFix before cutting/encoding the file. Even if mencoder were able to process these files it's likely you'd end up with audio/video sync issues which is unlikely to happen using VRD. There is a free trial version of VRD that you can try out to see if it indeed fixes these issues and is worth the investment.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #660
camnito

Quote:
OK that's clearer now. kmttg is likely skipping comskip step because the .edl file from comskip is already in place. The problem is that mencoder doesn't like the video file to be cut. That's not very uncommon for recordings originating from cable companies. You will need to run an mpeg GOP fixer on those mpeg files to fix those errors mencoder is reporting. VideoRedo is the best utility out there I know of - run QuickStream Fix to fix those kinds of errors. There may be others but I haven't heard conclusive evidence of a good free utility to do it. Using VideoRedo this kind of issue won't happen as you can setup kmttg to 1st run QSFix before cutting/encoding the file. Even if mencoder were able to process these files it's likely you'd end up with audio/video sync issues which is unlikely to happen using VRD. There is a free trial version of VRD that you can try out to see if it indeed fixes these issues and is worth the investment.
You're great. Thanks for taking the time and helping me with this issue. I'll give VideoRedo ago and hopefully that'll take care of it.

Cam