TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #1561
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The automatic remapping works pretty well, except when it moves your HD SP to an SD channel, or the like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:26 AM   #1562
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The automatic remapping works pretty well, except when it moves your HD SP to an SD channel, or the like.
I'm glad you mentioned that. I just switched to FiOS. I checked, and all my season passes were updated, but I didn't verify if they were all mapped to HD channels.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:33 AM   #1563
bkdtv

When you switch providers, the To Do List may list your wishlist recordings on the wrong channels [for the next 12-14 days]...but it should still record from the correct channels.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #1564
tdel73

so my hard-drive crapped out and TiVo is sending me a replacement. Does anyone know if Verizon will let me use the old cable cards or are they going to make a tech come out and install new cards?
tdel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #1565
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdel73 View Post
so my hard-drive crapped out and TiVo is sending me a replacement. Does anyone know if Verizon will let me use the old cable cards or are they going to make a tech come out and install new cards?
IIRC you don't have to re-pair, etc. FIOS cable cards so you should be good to go.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #1566
tdel73

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
IIRC you don't have to re-pair, etc. FIOS cable cards so you should be good to go.
that would be sweet, guess I'll find out in a week or so.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #1567
Shades

Cool Thinking of making the switch

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of making the switch from Cox cable to FIOS and am trying to make sure that it makes sense before I pull the trigger. I have multiple Tivo units, but the one I'll be using primarily is an original series 3 unit, which I'm currently using with my cable setup (via two S-type cablecards) and its been working great, and is already up to date with the latest updates, etc.

I've skimmed through several pages of posts here, and it seems like this shouldn't be a problem but I thought I'd post up and confirm... all I need to support FIOS is two M-type cablecards (since they don't use S-type any longer and the series 3 doesn't support a single M-type card for dual tuners) and connect the Tivo to the FIOS terminal, and I should be good to go?

Are there any other caveats I should be aware of before I consider taking the plunge here? Will I need anything else special to make this work? Will I need to worry about running new lines to my Tivo, or will it run through the Coaxial lines I already have in my home?

One of the big reasons I want to move to FIOS is because they have a lot more HD programming (and for some reason I can only get a few HD channels with cox with my current setup), so I want to make sure I can take the most advantage of that.

Btw, I'm in the Northern Virginia area... there seem to be a number of locals on here, so I'm hopeful that others may have some experience with this transition from Cox to FIOS that may help assuage my fear of potential issues.

If it matters, I'm planning to move my internet service to FIOS as well, but I would hope that would not impact the TV service.

Thank you!
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #1568
dresden69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Hey folks,

I'm thinking of making the switch from Cox cable to FIOS and am trying to make sure that it makes sense before I pull the trigger. I have multiple Tivo units, but the one I'll be using primarily is an original series 3 unit, which I'm currently using with my cable setup (via two S-type cablecards) and its been working great, and is already up to date with the latest updates, etc.

I've skimmed through several pages of posts here, and it seems like this shouldn't be a problem but I thought I'd post up and confirm... all I need to support FIOS is two M-type cablecards (since they don't use S-type any longer and the series 3 doesn't support a single M-type card for dual tuners) and connect the Tivo to the FIOS terminal, and I should be good to go?

Are there any other caveats I should be aware of before I consider taking the plunge here? Will I need anything else special to make this work? Will I need to worry about running new lines to my Tivo, or will it run through the Coaxial lines I already have in my home?

One of the big reasons I want to move to FIOS is because they have a lot more HD programming (and for some reason I can only get a few HD channels with cox with my current setup), so I want to make sure I can take the most advantage of that.

Btw, I'm in the Northern Virginia area... there seem to be a number of locals on here, so I'm hopeful that others may have some experience with this transition from Cox to FIOS that may help assuage my fear of potential issues.

If it matters, I'm planning to move my internet service to FIOS as well, but I would hope that would not impact the TV service.

Thank you!

You would not need to run any new coax... The tech should be able to use your existing wiring inside the house to get service to that TIVO Box. Something that I have done in my house was made sure that all my TIVOs have a hard Ethernet connection to my router... This has made things like Netflix and Amazon work like a charm. (Along with my own home network). The 20/5 really allows Netflix to shine...

Make sure you get the Extreme HD Package when signing up... this will give you all the HD channels that Verizon has to offer, and mention that you would to try the All Access package, it should be free for 2 months, and that would give you all the Movie channels.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.. would be more than happy to help out.
dresden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #1569
John C

FIOS Cable Cards on replacement TIVO

Hi tdel73,

Let us know how this works out for you. My TIVO just died as well and they are sending a new one to us.

I am also anxious about getting all to work again.

John
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #1570
tdel73

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C View Post
Hi tdel73,

Let us know how this works out for you. My TIVO just died as well and they are sending a new one to us.

I am also anxious about getting all to work again.

John
will do...I should have the TIVO later this week so I will let you know...
Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #1571
gtalvola

I got FIOS installed recently in Melrose MA and it's been working quite well. Once or twice there have been some glitches in the image but I used to get that occasionally with Comcast too. I've checked the DVR diagnostics several times and both the RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected are always 0 so I figure they are just transient glitches in the Verizon feed, not any problem with my setup.

However, one thing I've noticed is that there are several non-HD PBS channels that are listed as having HD programs on them. For example, channel 470 WGBHDT is not actually an HD channel, but many of the programs in the guide listing show up as HD recordings. Which sucks if you are trying to use a wishlist to auto-record HD programs and you end up getting non-HD stuff recorded instead.

Who would I talk to to try to get the guide data corrected?
gtalvola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #1572
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtalvola View Post
Who would I talk to to try to get the guide data corrected?
From the Forum FAQ:

Quote:
Problems with lineups (the list of channels available) or more specific regular problems with guide data can be reported through email to lineup@tivo.com or with the web form at http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivoknowbase/root/public/tv1050.htm. For email, make sure to include your TiVo serial number, zip code, and cable company along with a detailed description of the problem. TiVo will try to talk to Tribune to fix the problem, but sometimes the information is not available. For example, techtv and comedy central are frequently mentioned for not having episode information. The channel is not providing the information to Tribune in this case, and TiVo cannot do anything about it. Try contacting the channel directly - maybe if enough people complain, they will change. (Note that TiVo, ReplayTV, and UTV, in addition to many paper/online listings all use Tribune for guide information.)

If you notice a problem with a specific show that might affect other people, you can also post to the Season Pass Alerts forum. A good example of a problem for this forum is a last minute change in the schedule by the network that TiVo won't get in time or if a first-run season pass thinks a particular episode is a repeat, when it is not.
That said, are you sure that WGBHDT is not an HD channel? The call sign indicates that it is. All of the programs may not be in HD, but anything they broadcast in HD should be on that channel. Their guide data shows both SD and HDTV programming.

Last edited by richsadams : 05-12-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #1573
gtalvola

Quote:
That said, are you sure that WGBHDT is not an HD channel? The call sign indicates that it is. All of the programs may not be in HD, but anything they broadcast in HD should be on that channel. Their guide data shows both SD and HDTV programming.
My tivo is set to native mode and that channel comes through at 480i resolution, so it's not HD. Channel 502 is the HD version of WGBH.

Maybe Verizon is scaling an HD signal down to 480i on that channel but leaving the HD indicator in the guide data?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #1574
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
That said, are you sure that WGBHDT is not an HD channel? The call sign indicates that it is.
No, it only indicates that it's digital. Note that this in Fios' SD subchannels range (450-499); HD locals are in 500-549. Some PBS affiliates don't have their HD subchannel as their main subchannel (and some don't even have an HD subchannel). Then again, this could easily be a case where Tribune has flagged the channel as "WGBHDT" when it should be "WGBHDT2" or something. I've had that problem with some of the PBS affiliates here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #1575
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
No, it only indicates that it's digital.
Ah, got it. I noted on the Zap2it listings that they are broadcasting or at least listing HD programming on that channel though. Odd.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #1576
mae

Here in Maryland too

We have the same situation here in Maryland with our PBS stations (Maryland Public Broadcasting and WETA). I think that the cause is the local affiliate. The program is probably an HD one and shows up that way in the Times Mirror data, but the local station broadcasts it in SD. It is particularly frustrating with some travel shows that you know are HD, are transmitted on the main, HD capable channel, but are shown in boxed 16x9 SD. One possible explanation is the local station has it recorded in SD, and really only can transmit it in HD during the actual HD feed from PBS.

Having it occur nationwide with PBS affiliates kind of confirms my theory.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #1577
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I noted on the Zap2it listings that they are broadcasting or at least listing HD programming on that channel though. Odd.
Zap2It = Tribune = TiVo's guide. An error in one is an error in the other.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #1578
gtalvola

I reported the incorrect HD flag on channel 470 WGBHDT to Tivo. We'll see if it gets fixed.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #1579
mae

Verizon selling wireline service (including FIOS) in 14 states

Interesting info in this press release:

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...-wireline.html

Some relevent quotes:

The operations Frontier will acquire include all of Verizon's local wireline operating territories in Arizona, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. In addition, the transaction will include a small number of Verizon's exchanges in California, including those bordering Arizona, Nevada and Oregon.

As of year-end 2008, these operations served approximately 4.8 million local access lines; 2.2 million long-distance customers; 1.0 million high-speed data customers, including approximately 110,000 FiOS Internet customers; and 69,000 FiOS TV customers.

Also included are fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) assets deployed by Verizon in 41 local franchises and the state of Indiana, which pass approximately 600,000 homes and small businesses. Frontier will continue to provide video services in these areas after the completion of the merger.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #1580
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
Interesting info in this press release:

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...-wireline.html
Interesting find. Seems a little worrisome but maybe not. I wonder what they consider "...predominantly rural areas in 14 states..."? We're in a suburb of the largest city in our state (included on the list), but the population is only a little over a million and they still haven't run fiber optics to everyone here let alone to the folks out in the farmlands. Hopefully they'll continue their expansion plans or perhaps they're just letting this new company do the heavy lifting.

I was surprised that the tech that showed up a few weeks ago to do our install was a contractor, not actually a VZ employee as others have experienced. Seems they are either unable to meet demand themselves or, based on this info, are moving their capital to other areas. Hmmm.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #1581
mae

Not very clear

Quote:
Interesting find. Seems a little worrisome but maybe not. I wonder what they consider "...predominantly rural areas in 14 states..."? We're in a suburb of the largest city in our state (included on the list), but the population is only a little over a million and they still haven't run fiber optics to everyone here let alone to the folks out in the farmlands. Hopefully they'll continue their expansion plans or perhaps they're just letting this new company do the heavy lifting.

I was surprised that the tech that showed up a few weeks ago to do our install was a contractor, not actually a VZ employee as others have experienced. Seems they are either unable to meet demand themselves or, based on this info, are moving their capital to other areas. Hmmm.
The press release certainly wasn't very clear. At points it says all service, but at others it talks (as you say) about "rural". I posted it so that those affected can monitor their local media and forums for details as they emerge.

I think VZ sold some of their business (including FIOS) in northern New England to Fairpoint. Those affected may want to see if there is anything at BBR on how that worked.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #1582
webin

I see this as a move away from a business that is stagnant and/or in decline and a way to let them focus more resources towards building out their fiber network. A post in the VZ Policy Blog (Link) last week indicates that they are more interested in supporting consumers transition to wireless only telephone service.

Only a small percentage of FiOS customers seem to be affected directly. It seems to not be the actual FiOS service they are selling, but just the copper wire telephone service (which less than 200k FioS customers have??).

Edit: Or not. I can't decipher this press release any better than anyone else.

Last edited by webin : 05-13-2009 at 12:18 PM.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #1583
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtalvola View Post
I reported the incorrect HD flag on channel 470 WGBHDT to Tivo. We'll see if it gets fixed.
I went to the Verizon web site to check their lineup. As I suspected, they list 470 in your area as WGBHDT2, not WGBHDT. Then I checked Zap2It.com... not only do they have 470 as WGBHDT, they have 502 as WGBHDT2! Doubly wrong.

Unfortunately this also means that, even if you get the channels swapped as they should be, you're still going to see "HD" tags on 470, because they have them on both channels now. However, the guide also indicates (rightly or wrongly) the same lineup on both channels. So I'd just take 470 out of the "Channels You Receive" list.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #1584
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
I see this as a move away from a business that is stagnant and/or in decline and a way to let them focus more resources towards building out their fiber network. A post in the VZ Policy Blog (Link) last week indicates that they are more interested in supporting consumers transition to wireless only telephone service.

Only a small percentage of FiOS customers seem to be affected directly. It seems to not be the actual FiOS service they are selling, but just the copper wire telephone service (which less than 200k FioS customers have??).

Edit: Or not. I can't decipher this press release any better than anyone else.
If it's just the copper lines that's fine with me. If it's actually their brand new (to us) FIOS service(s), I'd be somewhat disappointed, although I've no idea what the track record is with the other company. These sorts of mergers and acquisitions always make me queasy. The shareholders may benefit but often the end-user (we consumers) get the short end of the stick.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #1585
mae

More discussion (if not information)

Quote:
If it's just the copper lines that's fine with me. If it's actually their brand new (to us) FIOS service(s), I'd be somewhat disappointed, although I've no idea what the track record is with the other company. These sorts of mergers and acquisitions always make me queasy. The shareholders may benefit but often the end-user (we consumers) get the short end of the stick.
For those (potentially) affected, or just interested, there is a lot more discussion on BBR at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r223...Oregon-Indiana.

I agree with Rich, it would make me queasy, particularly about future improvements and upgrades. Of course, Frontier could just contract back to VZ to maintain the FTTP services or just the backend stuff like the IMG. I'm curious about how the transfer to Fairpoint went since that may foreshadow how this will play, but haven't had a chance to look.

The idea that they want out of the wireline business to concentrate on things like FIOS seems contradictory, unless their ultimate strategy is to sell off the wireline business and maintain FIOS (perhaps with their rumored VOIP product) either direct or as a service provider to the companies it sells to.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #1586
richsadams

Quote:
The press release certainly wasn't very clear.
A couple of more articles about it (although none of them really clears things up)...

Verizon Sells Huge Chunk Of Network To Frontier The article highlights "DSL and landlines" as Webin suspected, but then later refers to FIOS service in 41 local franchises. ??? Most worriesome is the statement:

Quote:
Just don't expect any additional FTTH expansion, given Frontier just isn't going to have the necessary resources.
FTTH is fiber to home service. Sad if they can't afford to continue to expand the fiber optics network or if they don't feel that it's worthwhile.

Verizon Dishes Off Rural Assets

"New" Frontier Coverage Area Map

Frontier Communications to Acquire Verizon Assets (From Frontier's press release)

They say the transaction will take about a year so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #1587
mae

Fairpoint

I did a little research on the Fairpoint transfer (an advantage of being retired/self employed).

It doesn't look too good, this thread is on the Fairpoint forum at BBR, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r223...s-to-Frontier:

We are not alone (Verizon sells assets to Frontier)

I just read a news story that Verizon is selling wireline assets in Arizona, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin as well as some assets in California to Frontier Communications Corporation.

I wonder if the "transition experience" of those Verizon customers will be better than the experience we've had with FairPoint ...

and then there is this article:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/F...-102033</font>
Fairpoint's Top Secret Improvement Plan
To be reviewed by the same regulators who failed the first time...
02:24PM Tuesday Apr 21 2009 by Karl Bode
tags: competition ˇ business ˇ Op/Ed ˇ trouble ˇ consumers ˇ Fairpoint Communications

As Fairpoint continues to struggle with taking ownership of Verizon's Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont DSL and landline networks, regulators have been pushing the carrier for a detailed timeline of planned improvements. Facing massive work backlogs of 40% and customers who sometimes spend hours on hold without ever reaching a human being, Fairpoint has announced a ten week plan to get things back on track.

The only problem? The company isn't letting the public see any part of the plan or how well they adhere to it. Regulators will of course see Fairpoint's self-administered plan, though one could easily wonder if their judgment has improved. Keep in mind these are the same regulators who rushed to approve the $2.3 billion deal last year against the warnings of consumer advocates, employees, unions and analysts. From the New Hampshire Union Leader:
In a filing with the New Hamsphire Public Utilities Commission, FairPoint said the information is either a trade secret or information related to competitive services, which is protected under state law. The PUC gets the data; the public doesn't. "We consider it to be competitive information, market information, that we don't want our competitors to know about," said FairPoint spokesman Jill Wurm.
Fairpoint might have better luck putting those efforts toward protecting employee data, after the carrier announced this week they misplaced the personal info of some 4,400 employees. Competitors don't really need the data to target Fairpoint. Time Warner Cable is already running local ads (see user submitted pic) aimed at annoyed customers. Obviously some data shouldn't be made public, but it doesn't make sense to not share concrete evidence of your progress with your own customers, given it could compel them to stick around.

Regardless, remember that Verizon was the big winner here. The baby bell used a sophisticated financial maneuver known as a Reverse Morris Trust to dump a significant amount of debt on Fairpoint, grab about $600 million in tax writeoffs, and sell networks in three largely rural states they had absolutely no interest in upgrading.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #1588
richsadams

Quote:
I did a little research on the Fairpoint transfer (an advantage of being retired/self employed).
D'oh! Are Frontier and Fairpoint one in the same or is this "look what happened here" comparison?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #1589
mae

Look what happened here...

Quote:
D'oh! Are Frontier and Fairpoint one in the same or is this "look what happened here" comparison?
Despite what has been said on BBR, they appear to be unrelated companies with different footprints.

Hopefully, people from Frontier are already studying how to do it better.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #1590
richsadams

Quote:

Despite what has been said on BBR, they appear to be unrelated companies with different footprints.

Hopefully, people from Frontier are already studying how to do it better.
Phew!