TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
destek

Tivo has crossed my line...

Ok - I was midly annoyed with the new "see more about <this show>" when paused - but there are now ADS in that space as well.
I have been very happy with TIVO - ecstatic actually - but this has just gone too far for me now. I was willing to put up with it, even though I pay for the service, but this has crossed my line. It feels like TIVO feels empowered to put ads whereever, whenever they like on my box because I buy their service.
OK - so they still aren't making money. Do they think that by abandoning thier once-elegant user interface they will turn a profit? Perhaps they need to do some GM-style downsizing and pursue a business model for a company that isn't the size of southern Europe. Believe me, someone could figure out how to run that company on about 500 employees out of an office suite in Dayton, Ohio. Tivo is going to become known as an ad-box and that officially makes me a former-fan.
Sorry Tivo, you had me there for a long time - but you've blown it. You don't improve your business by annoying your customers!

Des
destek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
sshedlock
Mr. Yuk

Bye!
sshedlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
dgf123

Quote:
Originally Posted by destek View Post
Ok - I was midly annoyed with the new "see more about <this show>" when paused - but there are now ADS in that space as well.
I have been very happy with TIVO - ecstatic actually - but this has just gone too far for me now. I was willing to put up with it, even though I pay for the service, but this has crossed my line. It feels like TIVO feels empowered to put ads whereever, whenever they like on my box because I buy their service.
OK - so they still aren't making money. Do they think that by abandoning thier once-elegant user interface they will turn a profit? Perhaps they need to do some GM-style downsizing and pursue a business model for a company that isn't the size of southern Europe. Believe me, someone could figure out how to run that company on about 500 employees out of an office suite in Dayton, Ohio. Tivo is going to become known as an ad-box and that officially makes me a former-fan.
Sorry Tivo, you had me there for a long time - but you've blown it. You don't improve your business by annoying your customers!

Des
Tivo rep Jessica Loebig told me she cares and wants to here from customers who are bothered with this and gave me her email. Tell her jloebig@tivo.com
dgf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
hunter69

Your cable company inserts adds into shows on many of the networks that you watch, even though you pay (probably a lot of $) for the channels.

Have you canceled your home cable service yet?
hunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:

Des

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Absolutely.

Also, folks do need to keep in mind that there may not be any profitable business model for TiVo. The choice may between these subtle ads and no more stand-alone TiVo service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
mearlus

I just don't get it. I bet users like this are the same ones who call and complain/swear at/threaten their ISP's when they get spam emails.

Same simple solution applies: ignore it

Or if you want to help benefit Tivo, view an ad every once and awhile, I know I do. I for one would rather see a few ads (not really see as I've trained myself it ignore banner ads on the web as well as on the Tivo) vs paying a lot more for service.

If it bothers you so much maybe you should suggest to Tivo that they offer an Ad-free tier for their subscription that is double what you'd pay now.
mearlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
tootal2

Quote:

Des
You should see how many ads a cable dvr has. There dvr has ads every where.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
rainwater

I believe this is the first time TiVo has made the ad the default action however. Clearly, they should just remove the "More about" and leave the ad since that is their main intention. There's no need trying to disguise it.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
bschuler2007
Frustrated owner

Moxi to the rescue.. LOL. Plus I have seen many more DVR's in development that come without the anoying ads. Seems there is money in Video Downloads, Music Downloads, Game Downloads, etc.. so much so.. that ads don't have to be plastered all over the place on these DVRs. So help really is on the way and it is just a minor waiting game at this point unless the Moxi fits your bill. Personally, I'd rather see Tivo die as a company I had fond memories for than live on as a cursed company that people say, "Oh man, you'r stuck with Tivo". I have 2 DVR's and will jump ship as soon as my contract runs out. The ads thrown in my face make me wanna puke daily.

Ads will sink Tivo.. mark my words.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
fallingwater

Arrow An adbox?

Quote:
Tivo is going to become known as an ad-box and that officially makes me a former-fan.

Des
Regretfully there's some truth to this. But it's not too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgf123 View Post
Tivo rep Jessica Loebig told me she cares and wants to hear from customers who are bothered with this and gave me her email. Tell her (@) jloebig@tivo.com

fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
techmonkey

Well you are entitled to leave at any time but to get away from all ads you are going to have to quit driving, cancel any newspapers, cancel magazine subscriptions, not check email, actually not even go online, shall I go on?
techmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Where are you going to go? Back to a cable box? Drop 800 clams for a MOXI when you have a perfectly good working TiVo? Your not going anywhere!

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
MickeS

Don't forget to make sure you're telling them why you're leaving.

Let us know what you bought for a replacement.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
urwathrtz
Death Metal Dad

Hey call me crazy (YOU'RE CRAZY!!!), but when the "see more about" pops up I do one of three things :
1. Press the down arrow on the remote
2. Press clear on the remote
3. Ignore it.
urwathrtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

While I agree that these ads are very annoying and intrusive (to me) there really is no alternative to TiVo at the moment. Most cable DVRs have limited space and lack the features I've grown accustom to with TiVo, particularly the network features. Moxi is expensive and I really dislike their UI. (I use to have a cable DVR with Moxi) And MCE PCs are expensive, power hungry and for the most part lack CableCARD support.

See this is where lack of competition hurts consumers. If there were a half dozen other options out there with similar feature sets TiVo would have to think twice about doing these kinds of things. But when their only real competition is a limited, and also ad riddled, cable DVR they pretty much have free reign to do whatever they want. I don't like it, but that's just the way it is right now.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
Videodrome
tivo - please wait..

The problem that many in this thread fail to realize is that , Tivo is a subscription service. Therefore the subscribers should have a say in whats going on, if it were free with Ads thats another story. But the people attitudes in this thread and board, show that tivo isnt going to be top dog too much longer.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter69 View Post
Your cable company inserts adds into shows on many of the networks that you watch, even though you pay (probably a lot of $) for the channels.

Have you canceled your home cable service yet?
Cable TV - check
Satellite Tv - check
POTS - check
Newspaper - check (sort of - they called and made a ridiculous offer, which I accepted)
Do not call - check
Snail mail - check (http://www.catalogchoice.org)
Email - check (spam filter)
Grocery store with monitors blaring ads - check
Movies - check
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
Videodrome
tivo - please wait..

you forgot

Gas station -check
doctors office- check
highways -check
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videodrome View Post
you forgot

Gas station -check
doctors office- check
highways -check
Which gets me to thinking, you know the Bank's name on the check is really advertising, since all that is needed for routing/verifying the check is in the routing code.

So:

check- check
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #21
Ruger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearlus View Post
Same simple solution applies: ignore it
Wow what a great idea. If something bothers you - don't try to fix it - don't try to make matters better. Ignore it. If you close your eyes, wish hard enough, and just believe in unicorns and rainbows, it might just go away!
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #22
mearlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
Wow what a great idea. If something bothers you - don't try to fix it - don't try to make matters better. Ignore it. If you close your eyes, wish hard enough, and just believe in unicorns and rainbows, it might just go away!
Yes ignoring something is the same as believing in something that doesn't exist... However, I do believe in rainbows!
mearlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #23
Berryman1979

I'll pay shipping if you want to send the box my way.
Berryman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #24
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Cable TV - check
Satellite Tv - check
POTS - check
Newspaper - check (sort of - they called and made a ridiculous offer, which I accepted)
Do not call - check
Snail mail - check (http://www.catalogchoice.org)
Email - check (spam filter)
Grocery store with monitors blaring ads - check
Movies - check
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videodrome View Post
you forgot

Gas station -check
doctors office- check
highways -check
The worst part of all this advertising, including TiVo, is that we all pay for it. It's good if it's something you use, of course - if you're a football fan, it's good for you that every time I buy Campbell's Chunky soup, I pay part of a football player's salary, because it makes you have to pay less for the ticket/TV channel (incredibly enough, even though I bet it doesn't feel that way!) since Campbell's pay the NFL to advertise there.

Ads are a way to rake in the big bucks by making a lot of people pay very little money lots of times. It's a system that I don't think is particularly good for actually selling products though, but I doubt anyone selling ads will want to change it - for them it's great.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #25
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschuler2007 View Post
Moxi to the rescue....
Moxi this...Moxi that....BS!! You're drinking the Kool-Aid if you think the day will never come when that box has ads, too.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #26
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschuler2007 View Post
Moxi to the rescue.. Ads will sink Tivo.. mark my words.
As opposed to lack of on-going revenue sinking moxi.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #27
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Moxi this...Moxi that....BS!! You're drinking the Kool-Aid if you think the day will never come when that box has ads, too.
I'm not sure the Moxi box will be around long enough to get ads.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #28
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I believe this is the first time TiVo has made the ad the default action however. Clearly, they should just remove the "More about" and leave the ad since that is their main intention. There's no need trying to disguise it.
+1! "More about ..." doesn't make any sense to me on the pause screen. It is not a logical placement, and it just doesn't belong there. For that reason, I actually find it more annoying than the ad.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #29
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
+1! "More about ..." doesn't make any sense to me on the pause screen. It is not a logical placement, and it just doesn't belong there. For that reason, I actually find it more annoying than the ad.
Yeah, when I want to know more about a program, the first thing I'd think to do, with a tivo, is use the Info button on the remote, not the pause button.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #30
jrtroo
User

What are examples of other home entertainment or computing devices that have advertising as part of the user interface? I can't think of any. Not my DVD player, not my VCR, not my A/V receiver, not my speakers, not the radio in any car; not Windows, not Mac OS X, not Linux.

Google searches
ebay auction searches
lots of business plans were launched to get a free internet device out there with ads
every piece of software that tries to gain control of default programs and self-update or adds a useless shortcut/system tray
logos as default screen savers
email campaigns after registering devices
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote