TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #451
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Secondary Sort Order?

I've tried to figure out what the secondary sort parameter is in iTiVo's Now Playing. I'm stumped.

Suppose I sort by Show. The resulting episodes of that show seem to appear in no predictable order. They are not sorted by Episode name, nor by Date/time, nor ID...

They do appear to consistently sort in the same order, I just cannot figure out what it is. I suspect it's related to the order in which the show listing is received from the TiVo.

What is it?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #452
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
I've tried to figure out what the secondary sort parameter is in iTiVo's Now Playing. I'm stumped.
It is unspecified in the code. There is only a primary sort parameter. But when I sorted based on show title, the rest 'seemed' to be sorted based on episode title as secondary. I can't guarantee this is what will happen... it might be random for all I know...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #453
AquaX

Speaking of sorting...
Would it be possible to have a per show folder view? I have a lot of shows, and one huge list is kinda tough. Having some folders would help me find what I want, then sort it by date/name/etc.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #454
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaX View Post
Speaking of sorting...
Would it be possible to have a per show folder view? I have a lot of shows, and one huge list is kinda tough. Having some folders would help me find what I want, then sort it by date/name/etc.
That's been an enhancement request for a while... I still haven't gotten around to doing it though, so I wouldn't hold my breath...

Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #455
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
That's been an enhancement request for a while... I still haven't gotten around to doing it though, so I wouldn't hold my breath...
Alternately, instead of 'folderizing' the Now Playing list, how hard would it be to add a filter to iTiVo's Now Playing list?

With a filter applied, I could limit the Now Playing to just episodes of one show. The resulting filtered list could then be sorted by episode name or date.

With luck, when I added such a filtered list to the download queue, they'd be in the sort order so as to ensure, for example, that I downloaded the oldest episodes first, so I can watch them in order.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #456
Yoav

Ok new beta up that will filter results based on a simple text search. Not ideal but it should get you partway there.

Note that this is only a 'visual' filter. That is, it filters what is displayed in the 'now playing' list. The pie chart of space used will include ALL shows (including those you have filtered out). Subscriptions will still be added and downloaded in the background even if you currently can't see them due to a filter. Etc...

Last edited by Yoav : 05-05-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #457
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

iTiVo 1.7.7b2 Probable Bug

I've been downloading (decrypt, txt metadata) all the episodes of one show. Out of 78, I had 11 episodes to go when I quit so I could install the latest beta.

Because I did not have a saved download queue, when I started the new beta, I added all episodes of the show to the queue so I could start downloading right away. The first listed episode was one I had yet to download, so I started the queue.

I then, in ones and twos, removed the episodes I already had downloaded from the queue. Some time during the process, the status stopped updating. It still shows "185 MB of 728 MB (25.4%) (29 minutes remaining)."

The first queue item download is complete but iTiVo still shows the outdated progress and has not moved on to create the txt metadata file for that first queue item. The 728 MB download is playable in VLC and it's all there.

I can only conclude that removing items from the queue while the download was in progress somehow threw iTiVo off track.

It's been a half hour now since the download completed in reality. I clicked the Cancel Download button and, while the button deactivated, the status did not change and after a few minutes of waiting for it to Cancel, I quit iTivo. That worked.

Happily, the saved queue was there when I restarted iTiVo and I was able to get started again without having to rebuild the download queue. (Thanks for adding the queue saving feature. And the Filter -- I'm playing with that when I can.)
Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #458
NA9D

Quote:
Ok new beta up that will filter results based on a simple text search. Not ideal but it should get you partway there.

Note that this is only a 'visual' filter. That is, it filters what is displayed in the 'now playing' list. The pie chart of space used will include ALL shows (including those you have filtered out). Subscriptions will still be added and downloaded in the background even if you currently can't see them due to a filter. Etc...
Can we get a filter to NOT show protected shows. I've got a bunch of pod casts on the box now that are all protected and it's annoying to see them taking up space that I have to wade through in the program list. I'd like to have a checkbox to simply not show them.

NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #459
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Feature Request(s): Naming of Recording Files

I just encountered a bit of confusion (and a bug) with a two-part episode of a series. The two parts had the same synopsis and I thought I had a duplicate recording*. Examining the metadata in the recording.txt file showed the presence of partCount and partIndex parameters. When these parameters are encountered, can iTiVo include the "part $partIndex of $partCount" into the name of the mpg file and the metadata file?

The parts were on different TiVos and so I had downloaded the parts into different directories. I didn't discover the 'duplicate' until I merged these. For some reason, one of the two had a txt metadata file consisting solely of startTime and stopTime, and they were wrong for that recording.

As a test, I put both parts on the same DVR (MRV transfer) then had iTiVo download both from the same queue. After the first one completed, the second started and it simply overwrote the first part that had downloaded. So this is a serious bug. When an episode has multiple parts, *something* needs to be done to distinguish each recording file from the other(s).

Another place where naming could be improved is any series that one prefers to watch in order of air date. It would be really handy if the air date could be incorporated into the recording name.

Instead of:
Days of Our Lives - Bo and Hope have a picnic in the park.mpg
how about
Days of Our Lives - 2008-09-08.mpg
and, of course, Days of Our Lives - 2008-09-08.mpg.txt (if the metadata option is exercised)

(YYYY-MM-DD)

That would REALLY help with watching them in order and keeping track.

Perhaps a preference checkbox for 'Date Naming' could cause iTiVo to use the first 10 characters of the startTime metadatum instead of the episode title.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #460
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
Can we get a filter to NOT show protected shows. I've got a bunch of pod casts on the box now that are all protected and it's annoying to see them taking up space that I have to wade through in the program list. I'd like to have a checkbox to simply not show them.
Quote:
Perhaps a preference checkbox for 'Date Naming' could cause iTiVo to use the first 10 characters of the startTime metadatum instead of the episode title.

I just wanted to chime in that these are both really great ideas.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #461
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Metadata Lost After MRV Transfer

Because free space was running low, some months ago I transferred (using TiVo's built-in Multi Room Viewing function) some episodes of a series from DVR-A to DVR-B (deleting them from A). I have since used iTiVo to download all the episodes from both DVR-A and DVR-B with the showname.txt metadata file option selected.

For the episodes downloaded from DVR-B, the showname.txt files have only startTime and stopTime, and these appear to be the time of the transfer from DVR-A to DVR-B.

The episode title and synopsis are there on DVR-B -- I can see them in the Now Playing program info, but they did not get inserted into the metadata files. Perhaps after the transfer from DVR-A, these data are in a form that iTiVo does not recognize. (Or it may be that transferring from a TCD540040 to an older model, a TCD24080, is the problem. Maybe a TCD24080 does not properly recognize all the metadata from a TCD540040. (That does not explain why the episode title and synopsis, which the older TCD24080 obviously does understand, didn't get put into the files.)

I know that some metadata are lost when transferring from one DVR to another (that's been my experience). But I'd think that episode title and synopsis should still be available to iTiVo.

Would anyone who has multiple DVRs care to confirm this problem? use iTiVo to download a show with the optional showname.txt metadata file. Transfer that same show to another DVR and repeat the download. Rename the first downloaded files or download the second to a different directory so the first won't be overwritten by the second. Compare showname.txt files. I'd be interested in your results (include DVR models numbers).
Old 05-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #462
AudioNutz

Quote:
...Would anyone who has multiple DVRs care to confirm this problem?
I can confirm. It's really rare, but I've had it happen 3 times. I seem to recall that it was with a TV series that was discontinued.

Quote:
...use iTiVo to download a show with the optional showname.txt metadata file. Transfer that same show to another DVR and repeat the download. Rename the first downloaded files or download the second to a different directory so the first won't be overwritten by the second. Compare showname.txt files. I'd be interested in your results (include DVR models numbers).
I've long since deleted these three problem shows, so I can't do your test.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #463
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Saved Queue Annoyance

This is not a bug but annoying nonetheless. When iTivo starts and there is a saved queue (the 1.7.7 beta has this feature) then items cannot be removed from the queue until iTiVo connects -- the 'Remove' button will not activate after a show in the queue is clicked.

Once a connection is initiated, then the queue items can be removed; the Remove button will activate when a queue item is clicked.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #464
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Metadata Lost After MRV Transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
I can confirm. It's really rare, but I've had it happen 3 times. I seem to recall that it was with a TV series that was discontinued.
What is curious is that the Info button in iTiVo does show the episode title and synopsis in the drawer off to the side. So, the data are there, iTiVo CAN read them, but fails to put them into the showname.txt file. Sounds like a (minor) bug.

Again, to replicate the bug: transfer a recording from one DVR to another. From that second DVR, download the show with iTiVo, including the .txt metadata file. The txt file will have only startTime and stopTime.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #465
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
copy-protected filter is in the latest beta.

As to the other feature requests: file naming is currently not supported by iTiVo. You certainly have the power to manually do it, or even automatically do it via the 'run after download' advanced option. However, for now, iTiVo doesn't support a 'pattern for filenames' nor options to mess with them. It may in the future, but it's very low priority for me.

Marconi: I don't really know what causes the bug you're complaining about. It's such a fringe use involving transfers among multiple-tivos that I seriously doubt anyone else has or will ever see this bug. I'd be happy to fix it if you can track down and debug what is going on, but I don't plan on buying another tivo to debug this.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #466
aindik

I transfer the Daily Show to my phone every night. ComSkip works great most of the time, but it misses the "moment of zen" at the end of the show most nights. Last night, it missed the Dan Rather segment. It just cut that segment off early.

I post this not to criticize, but maybe it will help in the debugging to see exactly what type of things are being missed.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #467
AquaX

I think it's more going to be a ComSkip problem than an iTiVo problem, but I as well, have noticed lots of ComSkip issues with the Daily Show in particular. Something about how ComSkip attempts to detect commercials gets messed up with the Daily Show.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #468
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaX View Post
I think it's more going to be a ComSkip problem than an iTiVo problem, but I as well, have noticed lots of ComSkip issues with the Daily Show in particular. Something about how ComSkip attempts to detect commercials gets messed up with the Daily Show.
Is ComSkip not written by Yoav as part of iTiVo? If not, then I apologize. No need to post what I did.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #469
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
yeah, that's not Yoav's code, he's using this: http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/

perhaps direct that feedback to those folks... they have a support forum... and we can then hope they address it...
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #470
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
yeah, that's not Yoav's code, he's using this: http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/

perhaps direct that feedback to those folks... they have a support forum... and we can then hope they address it...
Yep indeed I just push out a comskip program with iTiVo (as well as mencoder and tivodecode and whatnot) .. I didn't write the programs nor do I support them.

a minor correction: the comskip in iTiVo is actually based on a fairly old release of comskip (http://code.google.com/p/etv-comskip/) that was nicely ported to the mac. The current comskip codebase doesnt build cleanly on macs, and depends on a lot of external libraries (to support stuff like closed caption detection, and processing h.264 video). It seems like the maintainer of etv-comskip hasn't made changes to his source code in several months.. so comskip may end up remaining 'the old one' for a while...

A bit more about comskip: it seems to work a LOT better if you have recorded at the best possible quality. Also, there are lots of values and settings that you can use to tweak it to perform differently. I currently use the recommended defaults. The problem with changing it is that while it will more successfully detect the 'end of the daily show' issue that you have, it will then become less successful at detecting other stuff... If you feel like you want to mess with it, you can find the configuration in
Code:
Applications/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/comskip.ini
. Make sure to back up your configuration AND if you find one you like, SAVE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE TOO!! (updates to iTiVo will wipe your config)

Last edited by Yoav : 05-07-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #471
aindik

Quote:
A bit more about comskip: it seems to work a LOT better if you have recorded at the best possible quality.
When everything is digital, there is only one quality.

Thanks for all of your information and all of your hard work.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #472
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

iTiVo, pyTiVoX as a Backup, Restore

I have a Series 2 TiVo DVR which has been expanded the maximum number of times it can be. It has two, small drives that I'd like to replace before they fail. The problem is, it has LOTS of recordings -- some going back years -- that need to be preserved. None of the current Mac tools permits me to upgrade these already expanded drives to larger ones or to upgrade to a single, larger drive AND preserve recordings. To upgrade this DVR I will have to remove the recordings, do the upgrade then put the recordings back.

My initial plan called for temporarily transferring all its recordings to other S2 TiVo DVRs. (I have others.) Then I came across a reference to "putting back" recordings with pyTiVoX and the plan changed. I started downloading episodes of various shows using iTiVo and put them back with pyTiVoX. It worked.

It is my intention to download all the files on that S2 DVR, upgrade it to a single, larger drive, then transfer back all the removed recordings.

In my tests, the only problem was that, in putting them back, the recordings took on the date of their download via iTiVo.

Per Yoav's advice, I am using "Decrypt" and adding the optional showname.txt metadata file. So I had the original air date, the date the recording was made by TiVo and all that. At first, then, I was hand editing the showname.txt file, adding the date of the recording to the episode name thus ensuring that my wife would know the proper order in which to watch the episodes of her soap opera.

For one series, I added the episode number to the episode title. Like adding the date, it was time intensive and when viewing the shows, you'd have to search the Now Playing list to find the next one to watch, since many recordings had the same date. Ideally, a better solution would be to put them back into TiVo in the correct order, and that would involve changing the creation date of the downloaded files on my Mac.

Since transferring back to the DVR via pyTiVoX gave the recording the date of the show's download by iTiVo, all I really needed to do was change the recordings' created/modified dates on my Mac before uploading it back to the DVR. I modified the creation date of a few recording files and, when transferred back to TiVo, the recordings showed the date of the original and were in the correct order as a result.

Now, many of you probably don't know how to change a file's creation / modification dates or don't have the tools. To do it by hand, as I did for the first few test recordings, would again be time intensive. So I used AppleScript to create a droplet application that will do it for me. It works like this...

Using, as I am, Decrypt to create a showname.mpg file, plus the optional showname.mpg.txt file, I have the date-of-recording datum. It's on the first line of the '.txt' file. So, all that is necessary is to select a showname.mpg file together with its matching showname.mpg.txt file and drag them to the droplet app. The script will read the recording date from the first line of the metadata text file and change the creation and modification dates of both dropped files to that date.

pyTiVoX will see that date and the recordings, once back on TiVo will sort into their proper order by date.

Another benefit: for some series, the episodes I have were not all recorded in the order of their original airing. Either the broadcaster showed them out of order or we missed one and had to get the missed episodes later. In either case, by adjusting the first line of the txt file for that episode, then dropping onto my droplet, I can put the episodes into the order in which they originally appeared.

Another datum in the txt file is "originalAirDate" so you may wonder why I am not using that date instead of the date of the recording by TiVo. The answer is that, sometimes, there are NO episode-specific data available. All info in the txt file is generic. When that happens, the originalAirDate parameter is the date of the series premier, and that date will be the same for every episode lacking episode-specific data -- not nearly as helpful as the date it was recorded. With the date of the recording, and comparing that to the episodes before and after, it's pretty easy to use TV.com and such to identify the actual episode. You can even change the txt file's generic description and episode title to contain the proper synopsis and such.

Anyway, the bottom line is this: Using iTiVo, my droplet and then pyTiVoX, I now have storage for my TiVos limited only by how many drives I want to buy. No need for an official "DVR Expander." I'm recording movies and saving them off line until I decide to watch them. I've set up Season Passes for a couple of series I'd like to see in their entirety. I'll store the episodes off-line until I have them all, then transfer them back as needed.

I could, of course, be doing this with just iTiVo and pyTiVoX (Thanks, Yoav!) but the droplet date changer makes the sorting problem go away. For those of you wishing to do something similar, here's the code for the date-changing droplet... (Watch out for line breaks.)
Code:
-- Droplet for Changing the Creation date of 
-- Dragged-on TiVo Recording Files

-- Save this as an application bundle in AppleScript Editor.

-- This droplet was designed to have an iTiVo mpg file plus its 
-- matching mpg.txt metadata file dragged onto it in pairs. 
--
-- When this is done, the date of the original recording is read 
-- from the text file and the creation/modification dates of both 
-- files are changed to that date. This ensures that when the 
-- recordings are transferred back to TiVo using pyTiVoX, the 
-- recording dates are correct.

-- Note that this was designed for this one, specific purpose and 
-- any other use of this droplet is bound to disappoint.
--
-- DISCLAIMER: No warranty is implied, use at your own risk, 
-- discontinue use if redness develops, etc. 

on open dropped_items
	set newdate to ""
	--choose the one which is the text file
	repeat with i from 1 to the count of dropped_items -- which ought to be 2
		set this_item to (item i of dropped_items)
		set the item_info to info for this_item
		set filename to name of item_info
		if filename ends with ".txt" then
			set fileData to read this_item
			set datetext to paragraph 1 of fileData
			-- line one looks like this: "time : YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ssZ"
			set theyear to text 8 through 11 of (datetext)
			set themonth to text 13 through 14 of (datetext)
			set theday to text 16 through 17 of (datetext)
			set hh to text 19 through 20 of (datetext)
			set mm to text 22 through 23 of (datetext)
			set newdate to theyear & themonth & theday & hh & mm
			exit repeat -- found the date, no need to check the other dropped file
		end if
	end repeat
	if newdate is not "" then
		repeat with file_ in dropped_items
			set file_ to POSIX path of file_
			do shell script "touch -t " & newdate & " " & quoted form of file_
		end repeat
	else
		display dialog ("No date found in these files!")
	end if
end open
I presume that the droplet will work just as well for those of you not using "Decrypt" as the download format. If you're converting for iPhone, the recording date may be sufficient to keep them in order. Just be sure to also create the metadata txt file (see the iTiVo prefs) so you can use the droplet. But, just in case, I'm going to make a version of the droplet that will insert the recording date into the mpg file's name, changing:

Series Name - Episode name.mpg
Series Name - Episode name.mpg.txt
to
Series Name - date Episode name.mpg
Series Name - date Episode name.mpg.txt

I hope others find this useful.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #473
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Droplet To Add Date To File Names

As promised, here's a droplet to add the date a recording was made by TiVo to a downloaded recording's file name. Note that it requires the metadata text file in order to work.
Code:
-- Droplet for Adding the Recording Date to Names
-- of Dragged-on TiVo Recording Files
--
-- Save this as an application bundle in AppleScript Editor.
--
-- This droplet was designed to have an iTiVo mpg file plus its 
-- matching mpg.txt metadata file dragged onto it in pairs. 
--
-- When this is done, the date of the original recording is read 
-- from the text file and the date is inserted into the file names
-- of both files after the series name and before the Episode name.
-- This makes it easier to watch recordings in the right order.
--
-- Note that this was designed for this one, specific purpose and 
-- any other use of this droplet is bound to disappoint.
--
-- DISCLAIMER: No warranty is implied, use at your own risk. 
-- Consult a doctor if erection lasts for more than four hours. 

on open dropped_items
	set RecDate to ""
	--choose the one which is the text file
	repeat with i from 1 to the count of dropped_items -- which ought to be 2
		set filename to name of item_info
		if filename ends with ".txt" then
			set fileData to read this_item
			set datetext to paragraph 1 of fileData
			-- line one looks like this: "time : YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ssZ"
			set RecDate to text 8 through 17 of (datetext) & " "
			exit repeat -- found the date, no need to check the other dropped file
		end if
	end repeat
	if RecDate is not "" then
		repeat with i from 1 to the count of dropped_items -- which still ought to be 2
			set original to name of item_info
			set foo to offset of "-" in original
			set changedname to text 1 through (foo + 1) of original & RecDate & text (foo + 2) through end of original
			-- 	display dialog ("Renaming " & original & " to " & changedname)
			tell application "Finder"
				set the name of the this_item to the changedname
			end tell

end repeat
	else
		display dialog ("No date found in these files!")
	end if
end open

Old 05-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #474
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

iTiVo Formatting Errors

iTiVo 1.7.7b3

In the txt metadata file, when created, some data use an equals sign as a delimiter:

seriesID = SH001189
displayMajorNumber = 12
callsign = KPNX

These all need to be colons.

Secondly, the "seriesId" parameter is case sensitive -- the 'd' needs to be lower case to have the parameter be recognized when passed back to a TiVo DVR by pyTiVoX. The "I" is the only upper-case character in this datum label.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #475
Yoav

Quote:
iTiVo 1.7.7b3

In the txt metadata file, when created, some data use an equals sign as a delimiter:

seriesID = SH001189
displayMajorNumber = 12
callsign = KPNX

These all need to be colons.

Secondly, the "seriesId" parameter is case sensitive -- the 'd' needs to be lower case to have the parameter be recognized when passed back to a TiVo DVR by pyTiVoX. The "I" is the only upper-case character in this datum label.
Oh hey, I suck...

Thanks for catching it ( the bug was a little more insidious -- seriesId was correctly set if present in the xml, but I tried to hack it in when it wasn't.. and that was where the '=' and uppercase cropped up..). Fixing and should make it into the next release...

Old 05-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #476
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Oh hey, I suck...

Thanks for catching it
I'd bill you for the hours wasted figuring out what was wrong but then you'd probably bill me for the development time. ;-)

I'm good if you are...
Old 05-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #477
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Metadata For Extended Recordings

iTiVo 1.7.7b3, pyTiVoX 1.2

While downloading recordings with iTiVo and uploading some of those same recordings to other DVRs, I've noticed something interesting about the metadata txt file which iTiVo generates. If the recording is extended, either starting early or ending late, the metadata file will contain data on the programs preceding and / or following.

That is, if I start the recording of an episode early by, say, a minute (recording options on TiVo) then in the metadata file, there will be extraneous data about the show which preceded the recorded episode. Likewise, if I extend the recording, there will be data about the following show appended to the episode's actual metadata.

This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't screw up the show data sent to TiVo by pyTiVoX when the showname.txt file is used as-is. (It also screws up the show Info shown by iTiVo.)

Based on behaviors I've observed, here's what I think happens. iTiVo scans the metadata and uses the first version of any parameter it encounters. This is what it puts into the "Info" drawer off to the side. This makes for an interesting mix when, as I encountered, a soap opera is preceded by a news show. iTiVo shows Info that includes a genre of "News" with the first air date of that news program, together with the name of the news show, but then goes on to describe the soap opera episode accurately.

pyTiVoX, by contrast, seems to scan the metadata from the txt file and use the last version of any datum it encounters. So, if that same soap opera was followed by a movie, and the recording was extended two minutes, then when that soap's metadata are seen by the TiVo, the description shows a movie and assorted non-soap actors.

Now, I don't think TiVo should be including metadata for shows preceding and / or following, just because I extended a recording. But it happens, and it results in problems with iTiVo and pyTiVoX. So... what can be done about it?

I've been trimming the showname.txt files by hand to remove extraneous data. Might iTiVo be made to discard the extra stuff for us (for me)?

Just for fun, and because I have multiple Series 2 DVRs, I recorded the same show today five times so as to compare the resulting metadata when I download them and make them available for upload via pyTiVoX.

One recording started and stopped on time. This was my 'control' version. This should show me the normal, non-extended metadata.

The second recording started 1 minute early but stopped on time. Metadata for the show preceding it appears in the txt file before the proper data.

The third started on time but was extended one minute beyond normal. Metadata for the show following it are appended to the text file. (Actually, inserted before the end of the proper metadata.)

The fourth started one minute early and was extended by one minute. It has extra data both before and after the proper data.

The last started five minutes early and went 5 minutes long. Its metadata file is the same as the one extended by only one minute in each direction.

When the metadata file(s) generated by iTiVo are used, unedited, to provide data for the same recordings to go back to a DVR, it results in bad data -- especially if the recording was extended. In that case, the show is totally misrepresented by pyTiVoX, as shown on the receiving TiVo DVR.

I've put up a web page showing the metadata files for four of the recordings (the 5-minutes-before-and-after is essentially the same as the 1-minute-before-and-after). You can see the extra metadata and some images of the incorrect iTiVo and TiVo displays that result.

Clearly, the problem is with TiVo. Nonetheless, is there anything that can be done with our tools (iTiVo and pyTiVoX) to compensate?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #478
Yoav

Quote:
iTiVo 1.7.7b3, pyTiVoX 1.2

While downloading recordings with iTiVo and uploading some of those same recordings to other DVRs, I've noticed something interesting about the metadata txt file which iTiVo generates.
I've been scratching my head as to what to do about this. the pytivo data is simply ripped out of the xml file which comes out of the tivo file. If there's 'better logic' that can be applied, it needs to be done to the xslt processor: http://code.google.com/p/itivo/sourc...ytivo_txt.xslt

However, it's not really clear what to do (it seems like time is always the first entry and is never repeated twice in a single show, so it might be possible to split things up based on that token I dunno).

anyways, it seems like you're hitting the 'maybe you should write a script to fix up these things' or 'don't record multiple shows into one file' -- although to be fair you do sometimes need to extend recordings by a few minutes.. sigh...

If you can figure out a 'correct' clean fix I'll be happy to take a code patch

Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #479
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I've noticed data from multiple programs in .TiVo files as well. However, I don't think it happens if you view the Now Playing list XML. (Or does it?) Maybe that would be a better source?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 PM   #480
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I've noticed data from multiple programs in .TiVo files as well. However, I don't think it happens if you view the Now Playing list XML. (Or does it?)
The extra metadata appear in the XML version as well.