TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #1141
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The address it's looking for is actually your LAN IP. The point of trying to connect to an external address is to pick up your default route, as opposed to localhost, VirtualPC, etc. Of course this still may not be the desired address.

I'm surprised that 4.2.2.1 isn't working for you. I'm open to suggestions... the code this replaced used "tivo.com", but that entailed a DNS lookup, and was more hops for (I think) most people.
What's wrong with just running 'route get default' ?
(you'll need to do an OS detect and do the equivalent in windows of course.. )
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #1142
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
What's wrong with just running 'route get default' ?
(you'll need to do an OS detect and do the equivalent in windows of course.. )
Well, there's one thing that's wrong with it. Plus to me it's a big lose, shelling out when you don't have to. I realize it's kludgy as is, though.

You can see a more elaborated version of the function in HME for Python's start.py. There, I first try the method you're supposed to use -- socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname()). The trouble is that this always comes up with 127.0.0.1, on my system. (Actually it worked on my Windows system, IIRC, but not Ubuntu. Checking it now, I see that it also works on my Mac.) So, in that case, it falls back to the fake connection.

In bringing this function over to pyTivo, I was replacing two instances of code which armooo had come up with independently that worked in the same way, except that he used tivo.com and port 123 where I used 4.2.2.1 and port 0 -- and he didn't first try gethostbyname(). So, I thought, if I used gethostbyname(), it might unintentionally change pyTivo's behavior for someone, by finding the wrong interface. So I decided to omit it, and thought I'd be keeping pyTivo's old behavior if only the address and port were changed (for the reasons mentioned above). In that, it appears I was mistaken.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 05-07-2009 at 12:57 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #1143
myarken
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
wh
myarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #1144
pmd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I'm surprised that 4.2.2.1 isn't working for you. I'm open to suggestions... the code this replaced used "tivo.com", but that entailed a DNS lookup, and was more hops for (I think) most people.
Here's what I got using Python on my Mac running 10.5.6:

Code:
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 13 2009, 10:26:13) 
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import socket
>>> s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
>>> s.connect(('4.2.2.1',0))
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 1, in connect
socket.error: (49, "Can't assign requested address")
>>> s.connect(('4.2.2.1',1))
>>> print s.getsockname()[0]
192.168.1.2
>>> print socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname())
172.16.115.1
Not sure what the gethostbyname() method is doing returning that IP - earlier I tried the same thing and it failed, then worked:

Code:
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 13 2009, 10:26:13) 
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import socket
>>> print socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname())
172.16.115.1
>>> s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
>>> s.connect(('4.2.2.1',0))
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 1, in connect
socket.error: (49, "Can't assign requested address")
>>> print socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname())
192.168.1.2
Anyway, connecting to a port other than 0 seems to work. This isn't unheard of: http://www.nabble.com/socket-code-wo...d21475137.html

Has anyone else tried pushing to symind.tivo.com yet? I'd like to know whether it's specifically for Australian Tivos, or whether it's a new system that all units can use. I don't know how to debug further, as it looks like I'd need to replicate the original SSL man-in-the-middle attack, and that's way beyond me at the moment!
pmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #1145
jcthorne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,001
have you tried changing mind.tivo.com to symind.tivo.com in mind.py? (2 instances)

Has worked for me when I needed to address a different tivo server.
__________________
Current : Roamio Base with 2TB drive and 2 Premieres and a mini. OTA. kmttg, pyTivo, running with a 78TB Synology 1511 NAS....serving up the world.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #1146
pmd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
have you tried changing mind.tivo.com to symind.tivo.com in mind.py? (2 instances)
Yes, I have. The push didn't come through. I was just hoping someone else would give it a go to confirm my results in case I'm doing something wrong. Using mind.tivo.com doesn't work with Australian accounts - the login fails.

I'm interested in the possibility that symind.tivo.com might accept connections from all Tivos (and then there would be more people possibly willing to crack that one too - not that there's much incentive for US owners I know :-) )
pmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #1147
kearygriffin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd View Post
Yes, I have. The push didn't come through. I was just hoping someone else would give it a go to confirm my results in case I'm doing something wrong. Using mind.tivo.com doesn't work with Australian accounts - the login fails.

I'm interested in the possibility that symind.tivo.com might accept connections from all Tivos (and then there would be more people possibly willing to crack that one too - not that there's much incentive for US owners I know :-) )
And just to note, in streambaby there is an INI setting:
tivo.mind=
Which defaults to:
tivo.mind=mind.tivo.com:8181

Which points streambaby to the "mind" server to use.

Keary
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #1148
MighTiVo
TiVotarian
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,380
I have searched but can not find the asnwers, these have to have been asked before though...

1) I have movies on WHS so I understand I can't run streambaby as a service on my computer as it wouldn't have access to networked drives.
Q) How do I set up Streambaby to auto start when he computer boots?
(Note there is a user "media" on this windows 7 HTPC that logs in automatically so I just need to program to start on the users login and somehow run hidden)

2) I understand SB ignores dot names for directories
Q) Can I add another ignore rule such as VIDEO_TS

3) SB seems to have an understanding of meta information, although it is a bit buggy as the title changes after viewing the data.
Q) Is there some way to configure the name of the program as displayed in the playback menu
For example:
don't display extension
convert _ to space
use the meta tag initially instead of after the program is selected

Thanks for a super app, and apologies ahead of time for not being able to find this info...
MighTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #1149
m_jonis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by MighTiVo View Post
I have searched but can not find the asnwers, these have to have been asked before though...

1) I have movies on WHS so I understand I can't run streambaby as a service on my computer as it wouldn't have access to networked drives.
Q) How do I set up Streambaby to auto start when he computer boots?
(Note there is a user "media" on this windows 7 HTPC that logs in automatically so I just need to program to start on the users login and somehow run hidden)

2) I understand SB ignores dot names for directories
Q) Can I add another ignore rule such as VIDEO_TS

3) SB seems to have an understanding of meta information, although it is a bit buggy as the title changes after viewing the data.
Q) Is there some way to configure the name of the program as displayed in the playback menu
For example:
don't display extension
convert _ to space
use the meta tag initially instead of after the program is selected

Thanks for a super app, and apologies ahead of time for not being able to find this info...
Not sure what WHS is, but normally any service (meaning it's in the services section on your PC--ie: start -> run -> services.msc) can access network drives, whether it be SMB (Windows, Unix/Linux via SAMBA, NetWare via CIFS) or NFS, etc.

You have to reconfigure the service though to:

a) Access the data via UNC paths (ie: \\server\share\something)
b) Change the Run As (normally it would be System or something like that) so that it runs as a local user with the same userid/password as what would exist on the server you intend to access.

So if you have a windows server (or SAMBA or something) and the account is say: jsmith, with a password of: password (either in the AD domain, workgroup, local account, etc.)

You'd have the service run as:
jsmith (you have to create a local account usually on your PC and I find it easier to browse/choose the userid)
and specify the password of: password

Then as long as your PC is booted up (you don't have to login), if the service is set to start automatically, when it tries to access the UNC path, it should make the appropriate calls to the OS (Windows in this case) to access the data with the credentials you specified in the service.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #1150
MighTiVo
TiVotarian
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
Not sure what WHS is, but normally any service (meaning it's in the services section on your PC--ie: start -> run -> services.msc) can access network drives, whether it be SMB (Windows, Unix/Linux via SAMBA, NetWare via CIFS) or NFS, etc.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
WHS = Windows Home Server
MighTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #1151
Kershek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 122
I was asked to provide debug information as to why my TiVo doesn't see Streambaby, which is copied below. Any help is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershek View Post
Thanks for the help!

Debug log looks rather clean, but then again, I don't know what I'm looking for

I started streambaby, went to the TiVo and selected the Music, Photos, and Showcases menu, and then came back to the PC and broke out of the program.
Code:
04/30/09 22:16:08 StreamBabyConfig: WorkingDir: "C:\streambaby-0.25"
04/30/09 22:16:08 StreamBabyConfig: StreamBabyDir: C:\streambaby-0.25
04/30/09 22:16:08 StreamBabyConfig: CurDir: C:\streambaby-0.25\native
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loading avutil, default: avutil-49
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loaded: C:\streambaby-0.25\native\avutil-49.dll
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loading avcodec, default: avcodec-52
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loaded: C:\streambaby-0.25\native\avcodec-52.dll
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loaded avCodec version: 52 (3409408)
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loading avformat, default: avformat-52
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loaded: C:\streambaby-0.25\native\avformat-52.dll
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loaded avFormat version: 52 (3413761)
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loading swscale, default: swscale-0
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Loaded: C:\streambaby-0.25\native\swscale-0.dll
04/30/09 22:16:08 FFmpegJavaConfig$1: Marking libswscale as available.
04/30/09 22:16:09 FFmpegJavaVideoModule: FFmpeg-java Module: loaded
04/30/09 22:16:09 FFmpegExeVideoModule: FFmpegPath: C:\streambaby-0.25\native\ffmpeg.exe
04/30/09 22:16:09 FFmpegExeVideoModule: FFmpegExeModule: Loaded
04/30/09 22:16:09 StreamBabyMain: STARTING StreamBaby v0.25...
04/30/09 22:16:09 Main: args= start=true
04/30/09 22:16:09 Main: args= loader=sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@11b86e7
04/30/09 22:16:09 Listener: config=com.tivo.hme.host.util.Config@1f6f0bf logger=com.unwiredappeal.tivo.utils.Log$ILoggerImpl@137c60d
04/30/09 22:16:09 Listener: factoryList=[StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,Stream, Baby, Stream]]
04/30/09 22:16:09 Listener: factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,Stream, Baby, Stream]
04/30/09 22:16:09 Listener: name=/streambaby/
04/30/09 22:16:09 Listener: 
04/30/09 22:16:09 Listener: added factory
04/30/09 22:16:09 Main: factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,Stream, Baby, Stream]
04/30/09 22:16:09 Main: MDNS: http://192.168.1.10:7290/streambaby/
04/30/09 22:16:09 Main: streambaby ready & listening.
04/30/09 22:16:09 Main: mdns_type=_tivo-hme._tcp.local. factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,Stream, Baby, Stream] port=7290
04/30/09 22:17:09 ShutdownHook: Cleaning up...

Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #1152
jcthorne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd View Post
Yes, I have. The push didn't come through. I was just hoping someone else would give it a go to confirm my results in case I'm doing something wrong. Using mind.tivo.com doesn't work with Australian accounts - the login fails.

I'm interested in the possibility that symind.tivo.com might accept connections from all Tivos (and then there would be more people possibly willing to crack that one too - not that there's much incentive for US owners I know :-) )
I tried symind.tivo.com from here and it does not work. Must be for non-us accounts or something. Anyway, did not work with my US account.
__________________
Current : Roamio Base with 2TB drive and 2 Premieres and a mini. OTA. kmttg, pyTivo, running with a 78TB Synology 1511 NAS....serving up the world.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #1153
kearygriffin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 346
I just added a couple of new features to the current SVN streambaby. If this seems to work pretty well I will probably compile it as a new "release" and put it on the streambaby front page. (The current "release" actually has far more problems than the most recent SVN builds, so it's about time)

- Push of series should end up in a series folder on the tivo. This can be disabled in the INI with push.folders=false
- Changed the default to always try to parse all pyTivo metadata and use it to display on the selection screen. (As opposed to only using it after selecting a movie). The selection screen will no longer (by default) use the mp4 metadata title.
- The two settings that affect the above are use.title.cachedonly=false (old default was true) and use.title.simpleonly=true (new parameter) which tells streambaby to only use easily parseable (pyTivo/XSL) metadata titles on the selection screen.
- The ability to use multiple "--config /path/to/config.ini" entries on the command line, so specify multiple INI files. They are processed in the order they are found on the command line. (And note to Yoav: Specifying a file that does not exist will not cause an error, if it makes a difference)

I think thats it. Here is the URL:
http://streambaby.googlecode.com/fil...y-svn-r235.zip
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #1154
mikek2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
And just to note, in streambaby there is an INI setting:
tivo.mind=
Which defaults to:
tivo.mind=mind.tivo.com:8181

Which points streambaby to the "mind" server to use.

Keary
I tried adding tivo.mind=symind.tivo.com:8181 to my streambaby INI with my Australian account tivo and push still didn't recognize my account. Its a pity we can't get this working with Aussie Tivo's. Are there any other avenues to try?

Mike
mikek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #1155
jasa
Registered User
 
jasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23
kearygriffin everything works great only request I have is to document all new functionality so users can read what functions they can use and what lines to put in .ini file


thanks again this app added tivo the missing functionality only thing that i would want my tivo to do now is to show my live desktop.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #1156
jannlinder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 106
Suggestion for Streambaby...

Could we get a "generated" 'Recently Added' folder at the top of each listing that displays (using modification time of the files) recent additions to any one section?

For instance, say your ini file has the following:
Code:
dir.1=/Volumes/Drobo/TV Shows
dir.1.name=TV Shows
dir.2=/Volumes/Drobo/Movies
dir.2.name=Movies
Then going into TV Shows would yield the following
Code:
Recently Added (this is a folder that when you selected it would display the items)
Folder or item 1
Folder or item 2
Folder or item 3
and going into Movies would yield:
Code:
Recently Added (this is a folder that when you selected it would display the items)
Folder or item 1
Folder or item 2
Folder or item 3
Recently Added would only be initiated (to save scanning time) when the user entered that folder. That way the spouse/family could quickly see the files you have most recently put in the repository. I would, of course, list the files found alphabetically by series, then by filename sort (if that value is true) with files that have no series (in the .txt or mp4 metadata) coming first in the list.

My family loves to watch tv after I have killed the commercials and this would make the Streambaby (or for that matter the PyTivoX product) a massive hit in our home.

The other thing I would suggest is the displaying of parental ratings. If the ratings field of the MP4 metadata (AtomicParsley uses the iTunEXTC Atom -- for PyTivo the metadata uses the tvRating field ) .. It would be nice to put this at the beginning of the description. This would make the info screen REALLY useful for those of us that use ratings for our MP4 files.

The format of the iTunEXTC is simple:
standard|rating|score|reasons

Standard is:
us-tv or mpaa for TV SHOW or MOVIE
Rating is:
textual rating for score.
Score is:
a number that is country-independant.
Reasons is:
TV: Violence (V), Language (L), Sexual Content (S), Dialogue (D), or Fantasy Violence (FV)
MOVIE: random ... but simply display the string

At the very least, I would hope the REASONS field would be displayed regardless of parsing the rest of the data. (Some of it...like the RATING field itself is country dependant for the wording.)

This is all displayed and described at: http://shadowofged.blogspot.com/2008...t-ratings.html


Comments?

Jann
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #1157
jannlinder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
Looking at it pragmatically, I agree - since the original file is already on your computer, and your computer is already set to serve the file up to all of the Tivos on your home network, this artificial (and meaningless) restriction doesn't bother me.

I'd rather have this feature come with a restriction like this than not have the feature at all - assuming those are the only two options. Right now this is my favorite "Tivo" feature...
Ben Franklin said "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Doesn't this also apply to other aspects of our lives?

As far as how this option works on TiVos: Demand what you want. You are paying them! I am paying TiVo $38.85 + taxes each month. I want the ability to transfer any shows that are NOT required to be DRM'd. DRM is a slippery slope. If we, as developers, do not demand this, then the general public does not necessarily know it can be any other way.

Remember the hard drive DRM fiascos a couple of years ago? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...te&btnG=Search

This is now a no-brainer. It is also stupid. For instance: I can get the cable companies' DVR and it is federally mandated for them to put a firewire connection unencrypted on the back of it so i can do what I like for personal use (legally speaking) with the video that I pay for. This was originally because firewire was to be the transfer medium from by box to my tv to my High-def digital recording device and on and on to the other parts of my stereo system.

Transferring to a different medium is a legally protected right that I have under that situation. BUT the cable company has given the right to the content providers by essentially agreeing to put in place the copy once (to the tivo) flag under ANY NEW contract they have with ANY premium provider. This is essentially cos the cable companies have also become the media companies and have a built-in reason to agree to this insane copy definition. Can you say Video-On-Demand?

BUT TiVo does not have that requirement. TiVo has buckled under and agreed, though they were NEVER required to agree to this, that Copy Once means the copy stored on their sealed hard drive. The TiVo argument that has never taken place with Cable Labs should be that this is NOT the Copy Once. They did not previously have the "capital" or the political muscle to take on Cable Labs, but considering the huge profits they are now seeing from the Echostar lawsuits, etc, couldn't thet take this on now?

My point being that when DRM wins, end users lose and if we are not willing to push them when it does not make sense to DRM something, we are buckling ourselves and only have ourselves to blame.

Come to think of it, it is against federal law for cable companies to DRM local SD or HD broadcasts on their own cable systems. Why does TiVo think they can initiate DRM on our own content (no matter where that content comes from)?

By the way, the "Digital Tuning Adapter" that cable companies are bringing out and that Tivo has signed on to is NOT just for preserving their much needed bandwidth to your home, it also disables EVERY SINGLE cable-card television on the market today.

Think about it, your TV with a cable card slotc now decrypts the signal from the cable company and displays it on your TV. When the cable companies put this tuning adapter on the market in each of their markets, all cable card ready TVs will become useless! The TVs were never engineered to use DTAs. TiVo owners do not worry about that right now, however, think about it, DTAs are NOT fully compatible with SERIES 2 TiVos. (See http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...04#post6975004 ) How many of them are on the market? How many TiVo users will this affect (can you say Millions)?

TiVo owners are generally more tech-savvy than other cable viewers. We need to be at the forefront of this fight.

This is another step that, if one thinks about it, is just wrong!

Just some food for thought.

Jann

Last edited by jannlinder : 05-10-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: coloquial usage
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #1158
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral
 
westside_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The soggy part of the Pacific NW
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
Ben Franklin said "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Doesn't this also apply to other aspects of our lives?
That's a great quote. Problem is, I don't see how it's even remotely applicable to the subject that was being discussed.

I'm not giving up anything, since I have the original file. I can transfer it wherever I want to. I can push it (or pull it) to any Tivo I own. What, exactly, is it you think you're giving up in this scenario?
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #1159
jannlinder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
That's a great quote. Problem is, I don't see how it's even remotely applicable to the subject that was being discussed.

I'm not giving up anything, since I have the original file. I can transfer it wherever I want to. I can push it (or pull it) to any Tivo I own. What, exactly, is it you think you're giving up in this scenario?
I am applying that to DRM in general and the heavy hand in which TiVo applies it to MY hardware and MY media in particular.

Franklin was specifically speaking of anyone giving up ANY of their rights. In this case, TiVo is imposing their idea of what I can do with that specific file once it is on my TiVo. If all TiVo shows were uncopyable, that would be one thing. By not implementing an interface allowing the PUSHER to specify whether or not to apply copy protection, TiVo is using too heavy a hand.

It equates to the following:

"They who give the right NOT to have DRM imposed in order to obtain the ability to view their media on a TiVo, deserve neither a DRM-free world nor the ability to view their own media on a TiVo"

I am not equating liberty to the right to watch TV (as there is no such right), I am equating liberty to the imposition of DRM.

There should be a law against imposing DRM when the Federal government does NOT say you should and when contracts with your vendors does not say you should. In this case the Cable Labs (as flawed as that agreement is) says you must honor the Copy Once flag, but it does NOT say and has no authority over applying DRM to MY MEDIA. There is such a law in regards to cable operators and local networks but there is no law against device manufacturers applying DRM to media that is not covered by copyright. They are assuming all media is covered by copyright and are playing babysitter. This is not valid. TiVo is usually better than this.

</end of rant>

Jann
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #1160
sullydavid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MighTiVo View Post

1) I have movies on WHS so I understand I can't run streambaby as a service on my computer as it wouldn't have access to networked drives.
Q) How do I set up Streambaby to auto start when he computer boots?
(Note there is a user "media" on this windows 7 HTPC that logs in automatically so I just need to program to start on the users login and somehow run hidden)
I have installed this on WHS and have no problems with it as a service. At this point I do not use it for any networked drives, but you can specify a username and password under the service options for it to run as. As long as that user has access to the network share, then it should be fine.
sullydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #1161
BJezz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 68
I am very much against DRM and I find the restrictions imposed on protected shows prevent me from using my equipment in what should be a reasonable way. As recently posted in another thread, despite wanting a second TiVo for the bedroom to gain extra tuners and the ability to watch recordings on either TiVo, so much of what we record is protected that it doesn't seem worth it. I'm more likely to use a video distribution system than buy another TiVo.

But, in TiVo's defence (and I may be wrong here, but this is how I understand it) they aren't the ones imposing the restrictions, but are implementing the restrictions forced on them in order to use cablecards. And I don't want to lose cablecards.

I agree that imposing DRM restrictions on content streamed from our own machines is pointless, but at the same time I am always going to treat the PC copy as the master anyway, so it doesn't actually cause a problem for me. But I admit that even when I've downloaded free web videos through the TiVo, I've been puzzled as to why they are restricted when I can typically pull the same video through the web-site with no restrictions on it.
BJezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #1162
jannlinder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJezz View Post
But, in TiVo's defence (and I may be wrong here, but this is how I understand it) they aren't the ones imposing the restrictions, but are implementing the restrictions forced on them in order to use cablecards. And I don't want to lose cablecards.
Unfortunately you are wrong here.

Once the original device was approved by Cable Labs, they had nothing to say (no approval needed) for future changes to the product that do not take an encrypted signal from the CABLE IN port and decrypt it with the Cable Card. The video-over-ip function was brought out later and has nothing to do with Cable Labs. Cable Labs legally cannot touch any video-over-ip functionality.

This was a TiVo decision in order not to be sued by content providers. That is all it was. Do not let anyone convince you otherwise.

By the way, the new Hauppage HD PVR ( http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...5mFnZE7hYhohTw ) records off component. Why doesn't TiVo have the same option. This is a CHEAP option ($250-ish bux). I know it is not "1st generation copy" (which is probably why no lawsuits are pending against it) however, it is a viable substitute and gets the elephant in the room (Cable Labs) out of any future decision making that has to do with product lines!

Jann
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #1163
BJezz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 68
I'm in agreement that I don't understand why the Cable Labs restrictions are being applied to web content. Although if the provider locked their content down and would only supply it to the TiVo with copy protection, that would make sense for that content only.

I also agree that if someone's goal is to end up with an unrestricted video, they'll get that video. The TiVo restrictions just serve to frustrate and limit those that just want to take advantage of features such as multi room viewing. I mean if a show is protected and I want the flexibility to choose which room I watch the recording in, I have to record it in both rooms, so waste space and get no advantage of having additional tuners.

I feel that this is going off topic as Streambaby doesn't really suffer these restrictions if you leave the master on the PC, so I'm going to end here.
BJezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #1164
jannlinder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJezz View Post
I feel that this is going off topic as Streambaby doesn't really suffer these restrictions if you leave the master on the PC, so I'm going to end here.
Agreed to end it here..

Jann
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #1165
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 309
Yoav and I were discussing some issues with Streambaby, and he suggested I carry this over here.

I'm running PyTivoX 1.2- the current release including Streambaby. Here are the issues I'm seeing:

1) Several .MOV files will not play to my TivoHD with Streambaby. They are all Star Trek HD movie trailers from the Apple website. When I try to stream them, I get Error: 0xffff Those files do play just fine if I download them from Now Playing to my Tivo HD. Here is the Terminal info for one of the files:

Code:
FFmpeg version SVN-r18731, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --shlibdir=@executable_path --arch=i386 --cpu=i686 --disable-static --enable-shared --enable-pthreads --enable-gpl --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-nonfree --enable-libfaad --enable-libx264 --extra-cflags='-I/Users/yoav/src/lame/include -I/Users/yoav/src/faad2-2.7/include -I/Users/yoav/src/faac-1.28/include -I/Users/yoav/src/x264' --extra-ldflags='-L/Users/yoav/src/lame/libmp3lame/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/faad2-2.7/libfaad/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/faac-1.28/libfaac/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/x264/'
  libavutil     50. 3. 0 / 50. 3. 0
  libavcodec    52.28. 0 / 52.28. 0
  libavformat   52.32. 0 / 52.32. 0
  libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
  libswscale     0. 7. 1 /  0. 7. 1
  built on May  2 2009 14:48:06, gcc: 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5484)

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 47.95 (5994/125) -> 23.98 (24000/1001)
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/Users/dave/Desktop/Tivo Shares/Star Trek.mov':
  Duration: 00:00:37.08, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 9466 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1920x800, 23.98 tbr, 23.98 tbn, 47.95 tbc
    Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16
    Stream #0.2(eng): Data: tmcd / 0x64636D74
At least one output file must be specified
Streambaby seems to think the file is directly playable by Tivo and tries to stream it as-is. Note that the file does stream if I choose a different Quality to force a transcode.

2) After streaming any movie, the movie's name changes in the file list in Streambaby. Streambaby changes the name to numbers which appear to represent the running time of the movie. When I check the file on my Mac, it is still named properly by the movie title.

So I did some digging with MetaX, and here's what I found. The title field is correct for all the movies. No need to change any of them. The problem seems to be the fact that the running time is in the metadata "short description" field (evidently a bug in Toast 9). This appears to be what Streambaby is relying on. When I edit that field and change it to blank, Streambaby again displays the correct title.

So, that brings me to this question- Is that really the desired behavior for Streambaby? i.e. to use the Short Description metadata over the Title metadata? In any case, this appears to be a change from earlier versions of Streambaby, where I did not have this renaming issue.

Thanks!

Kupe
kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #1166
kearygriffin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupe View Post
Yoav and I were discussing some issues with Streambaby, and he suggested I carry this over here.

I'm running PyTivoX 1.2- the current release including Streambaby. Here are the issues I'm seeing:

1) Several .MOV files will not play to my TivoHD with Streambaby. They are all Star Trek HD movie trailers from the Apple website. When I try to stream them, I get Error: 0xffff
Could you post the URL to one of the trailers that you are having a problem with? I'll have to take a look at the file and see if I can figure out exactly what TiVo doesn't like about it (or what streambaby is doing wrong to it). It looks OK from the posting(?). One of the open questions in my mind is how TiVo likes/dislikes/detects interlaced MP4 files. I'm not sure where in the MP4 file it denotes a file as "interlaced". The reason I bring this up is the fact that the container has a frame-rate double the actual frame rate of the video stream in the file, and I suspect that something like this is how interlaced is denoted in MP4 files.

Quote:
Those files do play just fine if I download them from Now Playing to my Tivo HD.
This is *probably* because when you transfer them from Now Playing (via pyTivo) it transcodes the movie to mpeg (same as when you change the quality in streambaby to something other than Same)
Quote:
2) After streaming any movie, the movie's name changes in the file list in Streambaby. Streambaby changes the name to numbers which appear to represent the running time of the movie. When I check the file on my Mac, it is still named properly by the movie title.

So I did some digging with MetaX, and here's what I found. The title field is correct for all the movies. No need to change any of them. The problem seems to be the fact that the running time is in the metadata "short description" field (evidently a bug in Toast 9). This appears to be what Streambaby is relying on. When I edit that field and change it to blank, Streambaby again displays the correct title.

So, that brings me to this question- Is that really the desired behavior for Streambaby? i.e. to use the Short Description metadata over the Title metadata? In any case, this appears to be a change from earlier versions of Streambaby, where I did not have this renaming issue.
I can reverse the order of detection, as I was really guessing when I wrote the code to handle the MP4 metadata reading. Currently it does the following:
If desc atom metadata exists use as title
else if (c)nam atom metadata exists use as title

Unless someone says otherwise, I will swap the logic.

(Having said that, the latest SVN of streambaby does not even use MP4 metadata by default for generating titles on the selection screen, for speed reasons. It only uses pyTivo data. It does still use the MP4 metadata for the information after you select the video)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #1167
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Could you post the URL to one of the trailers that you are having a problem with? I'll have to take a look at the file and see if I can figure out exactly what TiVo doesn't like about it (or what streambaby is doing wrong to it).
Sure! Here it is- it's a pretty large file.

[Hmmm- just noticed that link doesn't always work. Here's the page it's on- I'm using the large 1080p file- the first one entitled "Film Clip"]
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/hd/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
I can reverse the order of detection, as I was really guessing when I wrote the code to handle the MP4 metadata reading. Currently it does the following:
If desc atom metadata exists use as title
else if (c)nam atom metadata exists use as title

Unless someone says otherwise, I will swap the logic.
Wow! Thank you! That certainly has my vote.

Kupe
kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #1168
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Has anyone ever gotten further with changing AVC profile levels? I have been attempting to do so without any luck. I have used tsMuxer (also tried h264info) to change the profile levels from High 5.1 to High 4.1 or Main 4.0 and while they will play on my computer just fine and codec info programs verify that the profile was changed, the TiVo just chokes on them.

They will play fine for 2-3 seconds and then pause, skip a few seconds to catch up and then play fine for 2-3 seconds and pause again. Over and over. The files range from 300MB to 8GB, are typically in the 3000-8000kbps range and are all originally h264+ac3 MKV files before I change them into MP4 files. I use the latest SVN.

Thanks.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #1169
rfryar
My Media, My Way
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Has anyone ever gotten further with changing AVC profile levels? I have been attempting to do so without any luck. I have used tsMuxer (also tried h264info) to change the profile levels from High 5.1 to High 4.1 or Main 4.0 and while they will play on my computer just fine and codec info programs verify that the profile was changed, the TiVo just chokes on them.

They will play fine for 2-3 seconds and then pause, skip a few seconds to catch up and then play fine for 2-3 seconds and pause again. Over and over. The files range from 300MB to 8GB, are typically in the 3000-8000kbps range and are all originally h264+ac3 MKV files before I change them into MP4 files. I use the latest SVN.

Thanks.
Do you have a small sample video that we can toy with to resolve the issue. I recently got my camcorder videos to play, I did not have to rencode the video, just pulled it out as a raw H264, reencode the audio as AAC LC, and remux and they streamed fine for me. But I am going to assume my camcorder is not the same as yours.

But if you have a download link for a sample (Any size, just a fast dl link) I will see what I can get working.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #1170
Iluvatar
Registered User
 
Iluvatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
Do you have a small sample video that we can toy with to resolve the issue. I recently got my camcorder videos to play, I did not have to rencode the video, just pulled it out as a raw H264, reencode the audio as AAC LC, and remux and they streamed fine for me. But I am going to assume my camcorder is not the same as yours.

But if you have a download link for a sample (Any size, just a fast dl link) I will see what I can get working.

Rick
PM sent
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |