TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #6421
guessed

We just got a Tivo Series 3 HD DVR (we already have a series 2) last weekend, and my wife managed to exchange our cablebox (that we hadn't been using) yesterday for a Motorola M cablecard. I tried to install it last night, but I'm not having any luck. I've gone through the guided setup about half a dozen times now, and it never displays anything about cablecards. I have it in slot 1, and it is pushed in as far as it will go, as far as I can tell. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions.

I haven't activated the card, because the instructions state to do that in a later step. That isn't the problem, is it?

Thanks.
guessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #6422
Maniac1140

Comcast Memphis finally got it right after several card installs and several phone calls. Ask for the customer service rep to read back the Cable Card ID and HostID. Mine was blank and they were swearing they had the information. The last lady noticed the fields were blank on their screen so it was not getting authorization (no duh!). She did not know which "type" to set it to so she tried something like ocapestb along with the hostid and cable card id.

I'll have to wait and see If this ends up being charged as a set top box, but at least the encrypted channels are working.
Maniac1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #6423
dverespey

Guessed, I did mine after the guided setup. Going through messages and settings, cable cards.
dverespey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #6424
Sandylp
Sandylp

I got a new Tivo HD, picked up the cable card, but Comcast was not able to activate it. I called with the numbers after reading the forum and made sure they read them back to me. I called again to try another rep, but they were unwilling saying that a technician was needed. Well, the technician came and went, but the cable card still isn't working. I'm sure the problem lies with the activation at Comcast and not with the card itself. The post by Maniac1140 above more than likely applies to my situation as well. What does a customer have to do to get them to try harder to activate the card. They don't seem to want to bother and just want to pass the problem on to another technician on another day.
Sandylp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #6425
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandylp View Post
I got a new Tivo HD, picked up the cable card, but Comcast was not able to activate it. I called with the numbers after reading the forum and made sure they read them back to me. I called again to try another rep, but they were unwilling saying that a technician was needed. Well, the technician came and went, but the cable card still isn't working. I'm sure the problem lies with the activation at Comcast and not with the card itself. The post by Maniac1140 above more than likely applies to my situation as well. What does a customer have to do to get them to try harder to activate the card. They don't seem to want to bother and just want to pass the problem on to another technician on another day.
Get TiVo involved.

CableCARD hotline: Special help with your CableCARD issues

866-986-8486

Monday - Sunday
6:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #6426
Sandylp
Sandylp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
Get TiVo involved.

CableCARD hotline: Special help with your CableCARD issues

866-986-8486

Monday - Sunday
6:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific
I gave the technician the hotline number, but she didn't seem interested in calling. I'll see what happens on May 1st when the other technician comes. This time I requested an actual Comcast trained tech.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #6427
pl1

Quote:
I gave the technician the hotline number, but she didn't seem interested in calling. I'll see what happens on May 1st when the other technician comes. This time I requested an actual Comcast trained tech.
I have never had to resort to calling myself, but, from what I've read, if YOU call TiVo, they will diagnose the problem and get Comcast involved. I've heard that they will either contact Comcast or schedule a 3-way with the installer. So, give TiVo a call.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #6428
crazi4tv

Quote:
Do you have Motorola or Scientific Atlanta cards? Do you have 1 multi-stream card or 2 single-Stream cards?

Even if your cable provider has the host & data numbers correct in their system, if they don't send the proper activation signals then the card(s) may not download your channels. This is quite easy to determine using the various cable card menus. The menus show different information depending on the brand of cable card. Let me know what brand your cards are and I'll let you know how to find out why your channels are not coming in.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #6429
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazi4tv View Post
Do you have Motorola or Scientific Atlanta cards? Do you have 1 multi-stream card or 2 single-Stream cards?

Even if your cable provider has the host & data numbers correct in their system, if they don't send the proper activation signals then the card(s) may not download your channels. This is quite easy to determine using the various cable card menus. The menus show different information depending on the brand of cable card. Let me know what brand your cards are and I'll let you know how to find out why your channels are not coming in.
In my case, we have a TiVo HD and a single Motorola M-card. As far as I can tell, the card can't see the authorization signal, and cannot bring in the cable map.

We called in to get the card activated. The first rep said 'okay, I'll send the signal, it should take about five minutes' and didn't ask for any of the information needed to pair the card to the TiVo.

We called in and gave the pairing info to a second rep.

We called a third time and asked them to re-send the activation signal, stressing that this was for a TiVo and it needed to be the signal for a one-way device.

When we called back and told them it still isn't working, their advice was to re-run setup and/or schedule a truck roll.

The Conditional Access screen only shows the top three lines (the last line showing is the one starting with Con: Yes -- there is no ActivePrg:<1> nor any lines below that).

On the NetworkSetup screen, the VCTID is 0.

We called the TiVo Hotline and they said they'd be happy to help -- once we had a truck roll and the technician was there. The TiVo rep's recommendation was to have the tech bring four cards.

Jan
Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #6430
Sandylp
Sandylp

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I have the Tivo HD that can use one Motorola M card. Comcast gave me the Motorola card and said it was a multi-stream card. On the Access screen there is a No after Con (which I assume is Connected) and after Val (which I assume is validated), it says ? 00.00 or something similar. I will call the hotline if the technician arrives and can't connect.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #6431
pl1

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have the Tivo HD that can use one Motorola M card. Comcast gave me the Motorola card and said it was a multi-stream card. On the Access screen there is a No after Con (which I assume is Connected) and after Val (which I assume is validated), it says ? 00.00 or something similar. I will call the hotline if the technician arrives and can't connect.
Look at it this way. Comcast wants it to fail and TiVo wants it to succeed. Tivo can use leverage like FCC rulings. It's unfortunate, but a company like Tivo has to spend extra money on support just to survive in this monopoly like environment.

EDIT: My Conditional Access Screen

Con:Yes EBCP:Yes Val:V 0x0E

Auth:S CCI:0x00 S Epoch:0x42

That is a non-premium HD channel.

Last edited by pl1 : 04-28-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Conditional Access
Old 04-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #6432
crazi4tv

Here's some info on what the Conditional Access screen shows (this is for a Multi-Stream card)

Con:yes - this means the cable company's Headend has turned on service to the card.

EnabledByCP:yes - Copy Protection is enables on the channel the tuner is locked onto.

Auth:S - Account is authorized to decrypt the current channel the tuner is tuned to.

Auth:NS of N - CableCARD is activated, but account is not subscribed to the current channel the tuner is tuned to.

Val:V - Headend has verified the Host ID of the tuner is valid.
Val:? Headend has not been able to verify the Host ID (id assigned to the tuner) is valid.

If the Tivo is stuck on Please wait...acquiring channels...then the unit is search for a channel map to download. If this occurrs longer than 10 min it means that the cablecard is unable to acquire a channel map, either because the cablecard was never activated, not paired correctly, not receiving a signal or incorrect connections.If the wrong activation signal is sentthe cablecard do not receive enough information to activate or will activate only enough to get a channel map, but no EMMs. The result is that you will be able to view only unencrypted digital channels.

ActivePrg<1>- Means the CableCARD is running in multi-stream mode and the current channel is being displayed on tuner 1.
ActivePrg:<0> 0 is tuner 2

EMM: when activation signals are sent to the cards a series of EMMs are sent that give cablecards the ability to display the channels that the customer subscribes to.

CCI: - Copy control Informationis passed from the cablecard to the host across the data channel to inform the Host device of the level of copy protection required.

VCID: Virtual chanel table id. This screen give the id of the channel map that is currently stored on the cablecard.A channel map of 0 means the cablecard did not receive a channel map, thus your channel will not download.

If you tune to a premium movie channel and see the cablecard pairing screen, then the card was not properly paired to the host
If you are missing one channel or a cable tier but you can view the programming guide, that more than likey the card is properly paired, but the channel is not authorized for viewing- which can be caused by sever issues: your account is missing a service code to activate that channel, or the rep did not sent the correct signal to activate the card.

The signals that should be sent to the card is in this order:"cablecard validion"
then "initialize", then "hit"

I hope some of this information helps
Old 04-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #6433
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
If the Tivo is stuck on Please wait...acquiring channels...then the unit is search for a channel map to download. If this occurrs longer than 10 min it means that the cablecard is unable to acquire a channel map, either because the cablecard was never activated, not paired correctly, not receiving a signal or incorrect connections.
This is where I am stuck. 'Please wait ... acquiring channels.' They've tried to hit the card, but as far as we can tell, the card can't see the activation signal. We were told the card was paired correctly, but who knows?

Jan
Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #6434
Maniac1140

Quote:
I called Comcast 3 times to get them to read it. The first time they were very snobbish and said only a technician could do it. I pressed further and she said it was blank so call back tomorrow. Next day they complained I was pestering them when a truck roll was coming. The 3rd one was excited to try to "fix" the problem by entereing the numbers again. Apparently the expert "technician" did not know to put the type on there so it would save the ids successfully. If you are in Memphis ask for Linda at extension 1420019. I told her to stand up and run around the office yelling she is the one.
Maniac1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #6435
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Should say Val: V (for "valid")

Turn the system on, after it's booted pull out the card. Wait 10 seconds. Re-insert it into the second slot. Pull it out. Wait 10 seconds. Re-insert into slot 1. It should now have a different Authorization code to give Comcast. Sometimes the codes are taken for some reason on Comcast's end and it doesn't work, so it needs to generate a new one. That's what happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
turns out the card's data number and host ID were already in use so it was conflicting. finally got someone who knew things today and took the card out, put it in slot #2, got a new ID, took it out, put it back in slot #1, and got a new ID. Then gave him that one and POOF it worked.

Advice for those with problems, try this!

b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #6436
dlongnecker

In my area, comcast is changing everyone to a digital signal. If I want to continue to receive things like disney, usa, tnt, etc. I need to get a converter box. They will give me one on demand box and two of these converter boxes.

I went into the comcast office and said one of my TV's has a cable card slot and if I could get one of those. So, I left with one M cable card and two convert boxes.

I plugged the cable card into my large screen TV, called comcast and got it activated. Sure was sweet. I did the same with one of the converter boxes and it is operational.

I JUST realized my Series 2 Tivo is not going to be able to record those new channels after May 7th. Thinking about getting a HD one. I am wondering that since comcast is making me convert, if I can take one of the extra converter boxes back and tell them I need another cable card? Or maybe move the cablecard from my TV to my Tivo and watch live TV with my TIVO? Can I watch live Tivo and record another channel at the same time?
dlongnecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #6437
jinwoo

Hello,

Does Comcast charge activation fees for the cable cards?
I am replacing a comcast box to TIVO HD and ordered two cable card and they told me that first one is free but second card is $1.99/month which sound reasonable but just wondering if there are any other fees they did not tell me about.

Thanks
jinwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #6438
stujac

I'm waiting for my first bill after having an m-card installed so I should know in about a week or so.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #6439
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
I'm waiting for my first bill after having an m-card installed so I should know in about a week or so.
Unless you are in the same Comcast MSO as someone else
you really can't say what things cost. Comcast sets the rates
with each town when they negotiate their contract. There is
absolutely no consistency between MSO areas.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #6440
drhankz

Comcast Earnings Call Today

Comcast's $1B Bandwidth Plan

And a couple of slides from their earnings call showing their
plans for digital upgrades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture.jpg (37.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg capture2.jpg (51.1 KB, 22 views)
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #6441
Sandylp
Sandylp

Thanks, CraZi4TV and all others who commented. The Comcast Tech is still not able to have my card activated. He also tried another card, but no luck. I called the Tivo Hotline and he conferenced Comcast. The Comcast technician was very patient and helpful, but she was not able to pair the card. The Tivo tech tried everything, but neither slot would work. At this point the Comcast tech is supposed to come back with another card to try.

Later: The Comcast tech came back and tried another number at Comcast. He seemed to think the card was fine, but it just wasn't being activated correctly. Whoever he called said they wouldn't be able to help until after 8PM tonight. He said he would try it again tomorrow and let me know.

If the cablecard can't be activated, will the hd digital channels still come thru the Tivo, or would I have to use an adapter? Right now, I can receive the regular hd channels, but not the premium channels. Anyone know?

Last edited by Sandylp : 05-01-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #6442
crazi4tv

Quote:
Thanks, CraZi4TV and all others who commented. The Comcast Tech is still not able to have my card activated. He also tried another card, but no luck. I called the Tivo Hotline and he conferenced Comcast. The Comcast technician was very patient and helpful, but she was not able to pair the card. The Tivo tech tried everything, but neither slot would work. At this point the Comcast tech is supposed to come back with another card to try.

Later: The Comcast tech came back and tried another number at Comcast. He seemed to think the card was fine, but it just wasn't being activated correctly. Whoever he called said they wouldn't be able to help until after 8PM tonight. He said he would try it again tomorrow and let me know.

If the cablecard can't be activated, will the hd digital channels still come thru the Tivo, or would I have to use an adapter? Right now, I can receive the regular hd channels, but not the premium channels. Anyone know?
Cablecards are designed to decrypt encrypted channels that the customer subscribes to. So, if the card has been properly paired and authorized, you will receive all your channels. If there is a problem with the activation process, encrypted channels especially copy protected channels such as HBO, Starz or HD channels, etc will not come in. If you subscribe to HBO, Starz, Showtime etc, what do you see on the screen? If you see the pairing screen with a message to contact your cable provider and Host & Data information, then your card is not paired properly.

Tune to a channel which is in your cable package and does not display, then press Record on your remote to lock onto that channel and go to the Conditional Access screen. What do you see next to Con, Val and Auth? On the Diagnostics screen, look for Channel List Received. If the channel map has downloaded you should see Yes.

If the problem you are experiencing is not caused by the card itself but by the activation process, you do not need a technician, just someone on the other end of the phone that knows how to A- verify pairing information and B-send the correct activation signals in the correct order. Supervisors should have more knowledge of cablecards than the average rep. Ask to speak to one, but first have the cablecard menu displayed on your TiVo. Ask the person to read TO YOU what they have listed as your Host & Data. If it is different, they will need to update their information, then send these signals: a cablecard validation, initialize, & hit.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #6443
jtmiller

Just a followup on billing after M-card installed. Just viewed my latest bill online (haven't received paper one yet) and I'm properly being charged for the lineup I'm subscribed to.

No inappropriate separate "HD" charges on this bill.

jtm
jtmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #6444
Sandylp
Sandylp

Thanks, Crazi4tv. Today I asked to speak to a Comcast Supervisor as you suggested, but he was not able to activate the 2nd card. So, another technician is scheduled for Tuesday with yet another card. I do have a question, though. My cable is coming out of the wall to the Tivo, but there's a splitter on it because I also have it connected to a Comcast modem for my internet access. Do you think this could be interfering with the signal coming from Comcast? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #6445
pl1

Quote:
Thanks, Crazi4tv. Today I asked to speak to a Comcast Supervisor as you suggested, but he was not able to activate the 2nd card. So, another technician is scheduled for Tuesday with yet another card. I do have a question, though. My cable is coming out of the wall to the Tivo, but there's a splitter on it because I also have it connected to a Comcast modem for my internet access. Do you think this could be interfering with the signal coming from Comcast? Thanks for your thoughts.
That's exactly how it is supposed to be. A splitter for cable and Internet. I actually have mine split for two TiVos and the Internet, so a three way splitter.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #6446
Sandylp
Sandylp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
That's exactly how it is supposed to be. A splitter for cable and Internet. I actually have mine split for two TiVos and the Internet, so a three way splitter.
Thanks for the reply. Do you also have a cablecard? If so, the splitter shouldn't be causing the cablecard to not activate. When I check the signal for the cable on TiVo, the bar lights up all the way across, btw.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #6447
pl1

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Do you also have a cablecard? If so, the splitter shouldn't be causing the cablecard to not activate. When I check the signal for the cable on TiVo, the bar lights up all the way across, btw.
Yes, I have a cableCARD. It sounds like it's a problem with Comcast putting the right numbers in their system. That is what's wrong a majority of the time.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #6448
Sandylp
Sandylp

Following UP: I finally got the cablecard paired successfully!! The technician stopped by tonight with a new card, and after inserting it, and calling in the numbers....I am now able to access all the premium channels that I am subscribed to. So, after two cards that didn't work, the third one worked the first time. I don't know if it was the card or the fulfillment agent on the phone. So, it took 3 technicians and 3 cards to get one to pair successfully.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your help.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #6449
pl1

Quote:
Following UP: I finally got the cablecard paired successfully!! The technician stopped by tonight with a new card, and after inserting it, and calling in the numbers....I am now able to access all the premium channels that I am subscribed to. So, after two cards that didn't work, the third one worked the first time. I don't know if it was the card or the fulfillment agent on the phone. So, it took 3 technicians and 3 cards to get one to pair successfully.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your help.
Congrats on that! It's very doubtful any of the cards are bad, but, it is very possible that the numbers were attached to another account. Still, it makes you wonder why it is SO difficult for Comcast to get it right when they require THEIR OWN technicians. I wonder if it woudn't be better if they just let us install our own cards and call it in.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #6450
funkmasterdb

Just wanted to post my positive experience with Comcast and Tivo HD. After going Tivo-less for a couple years, I finally got a refurb Tivo HD. Ran guided setup and chose to install the cable cards later. Forced the Tivo to connect to the Tivo service a couple times, which forced it to upgrade to the latest service release.

I had Comcast scheduled to come out the next day, and told them to bring two cable cards. I didn't want ask for an M-Card and risk them only bringing one S-Card.

The tech arrives the next day and clearly has no experience with Tivo. Luckily he brings a stack of M-Cards with him. He puts one in the Tivo and the CableCard pairing screen comes right up, automatically. He calls it in, the card is activated and everything works, first try. He comments that he was glad I had everything set up and that "there isn't much to these Tivos, they're pretty easy." He's in and out in 15 minutes.

Still, I think it's luck of the draw and apparently from all the comments, the quality of the cards is spotty. I was half expecting a long ordeal, but it was pretty painless.
funkmasterdb is offline   Reply With Quote