TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #6391
Puppy76

That sounds like they really should have been giving me the second cable card for $2ish (first free), rather than trying to rent me both for $16, because I only have basic service.

The irony being once again they're going to lose me as a customer. Had they let me walk out with the cable cards, I'd be giving them the $17 a month for basic and a card. As it is, I worked harder on getting ATSC working-and work it does. It's fantastic picture quality and reception-I already know it's actually better than what I'd get from Comcast, and its free.

Just like when I asked if they had cheaper internet service, they claimed they didn't, I cancelled, and THEN they offered it to me, after I'd already signed up with Verizon's DSL.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #6392
jlb
NCC-1701-D

For my Comcast I pay $11/mo for basic and $0 for my one M-Series CC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #6393
stujac

Do you get any hi-def? Qam?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #6394
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Boston Area here as well.

If I was going to change to basic, I would simply dump cable. I have access to pretty much the same channels as basic via an Over The Air antenna, all in crystal clear High Def.

But, if you choose Internet only with Comcast it costs $52.95 (instead of $42.95). They simply throw in basic cable and charge you $10 (since they can't filter it out with Internet access.) So, that would be the only reason for me personally to get basic, because, looking at the basic line-up, it is useless for anyone who has access to OTA stations. I see you are from Newburyport, so, it's very likely you do not have access to OTA.

But, as another poster asked, do you get any HD channels with basic? Since you have a cableCARD, I'm guessing you do.

2 OTA 2-1 HD 802
4 OTA 4-1 HD 804
5 OTA 5-1 HD 805
7 OTA 7-1 HD 807
12 OTA 56-1
13 OTA 25-1
14 OTA 38-1
16 OTA 44-1
297 OTA 7-2
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #6395
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Dang it! For that same thing my Comcast wants to charge me $32.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #6396
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
Dang it! For that same thing my Comcast wants to charge me $32.
I don't believe Comcast WANTS to let basic cable go for $11 per month at all. I think it was mandated by the local authorities in order to let them offer cable they had to provide inexpensive cable options to senior citizens, or those who have no access to over the air antennas.

Kind of like the phone companies offering $12/mo minimum phone service (which when all the fees are tacked on becomes $20/mo. anyway.)
Old 04-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #6397
tinapomp

Hello - Just wondering, I am about to order new Comcast cable service and I am going to be buying a TiVo HD XL. I just wanted to know if it is better to have the TiVo box there when the Comcast technician comes to my apartment, or is it ok to get the TiVo after Comcast has shown up? This is all new to me so I'm just confused.

Thanks!
tinapomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #6398
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinapomp View Post
Hello - Just wondering, I am about to order new Comcast cable service and I am going to be buying a TiVo HD XL. I just wanted to know if it is better to have the TiVo box there when the Comcast technician comes to my apartment, or is it ok to get the TiVo after Comcast has shown up? This is all new to me so I'm just confused.

Thanks!
If you intend to have a cableCARD installed, you need to have your TiVo box there. But, you can let comcast set you up with an HD set top box and once you get your TiVo, call them to install the cableCARD and take your set top box. It will require a second visit of course (because in most cases Comcast requires a truck roll to install your cableCARD).

This might also help you out:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/135
Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #6399
beobuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
Boston Area here as well.

If I was going to change to basic, I would simply dump cable. I have access to pretty much the same channels as basic via an Over The Air antenna, all in crystal clear High Def.

But, if you choose Internet only with Comcast it costs $52.95 (instead of $42.95). They simply throw in basic cable and charge you $10 (since they can't filter it out with Internet access.) So, that would be the only reason for me personally to get basic, because, looking at the basic line-up, it is useless for anyone who has access to OTA stations. I see you are from Newburyport, so, it's very likely you do not have access to OTA.

But, as another poster asked, do you get any HD channels with basic? Since you have a cableCARD, I'm guessing you do.
I have a similar situation down here in Plymouth: I essentially get basic cable included at no additional charge with my Comcast Internet access. I never use the cable HD channels for the Boston network affiliate stations, as they are heavily compressed and the PQ is appreciably poorer than viewing them OTA. However, I do use analog cable for NECN (SD) which provides excellent 24/7 news and a good daily restaurant review show, and I also use digital cable to get RI PBS 36-1 (HD) & 36-2 (SD), which I can't get OTA because their signal is too weak -- I suspect that their transmitter is powered by a hamster running on a treadmill. So the "free" cable service does have its uses for me.
beobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #6400
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beobuff View Post
I have a similar situation down here in Plymouth: I essentially get basic cable included at no additional charge with my Comcast Internet access. I never use the cable HD channels for the Boston network affiliate stations, as they are heavily compressed and the PQ is appreciably poorer than viewing them OTA. However, I do use analog cable for NECN (SD) which provides excellent 24/7 news and a good daily restaurant review show, and I also use digital cable to get RI PBS 36-1 (HD) & 36-2 (SD), which I can't get OTA because their signal is too weak -- I suspect that their transmitter is powered by a hamster running on a treadmill. So the "free" cable service does have its uses for me.
The last time I scanned for HD channels, there was no easy way to tell what channel was what. And of course no guide data. At least with OTA HD I get full guide data.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #6401
beobuff

Quote:
The last time I scanned for HD channels, there was no easy way to tell what channel was what. And of course no guide data. At least with OTA HD I get full guide data.
That's why you need the cable card if you are going to use the cable HD channels. The first one, at least here in eastern MA, is free (i.e., no montly fee) from Comcast, but they will charge you $17.50 for the truck roll to install it.
beobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #6402
echamberlain

CableCard won't pair

I've been fighting with my Motorola M-card cablecard and my new TiVo HD for two days.

Comcast referred me to TiVo tech support and they suggested upgrading to the TiVo software to 11b, I did that and still the cablecard won't work.

I've managed to get the Comcast CSR to read back my Host ID and Data values and they match what the TiVo is reporting, but my TiVo still will not pickup the channel line-up or pair properly (Val: is ? 0x00).

TiVo does see the OOB messages increment. But the VCTID stays at 0 and TiVo never gets the channel lineup.

I can see the analog channels when the cablecard is removed and I have power cycled the TiVo both with and without the cablecard.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
echamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #6403
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by echamberlain View Post
I've been fighting with my Motorola M-card cablecard and my new TiVo HD for two days.

Comcast referred me to TiVo tech support and they suggested upgrading to the TiVo software to 11b, I did that and still the cablecard won't work.

I've managed to get the Comcast CSR to read back my Host ID and Data values and they match what the TiVo is reporting, but my TiVo still will not pickup the channel line-up or pair properly (Val: is ? 0x00).

TiVo does see the OOB messages increment. But the VCTID stays at 0 and TiVo never gets the channel lineup.

I can see the analog channels when the cablecard is removed and I have power cycled the TiVo both with and without the cablecard.

Yes. You should schedule a 3-way with Comcast and TiVo.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/137

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...lkL2JHRWpNRnZq

CableCARD hotline: Special help with your CableCARD issues

866-986-8486
Monday - Sunday
6:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific
Old 04-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #6404
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

When I had Comcast/TiVo problems, I believe it was a billing problem rather than a pairong problem. The CCs and the TiVo were installed properly but the account was not properly authorizing the channels. The (2nd) Comcast tech made a call to someone in "connectivity" and my problem was solved immediately.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #6405
echamberlain

Quote:
Originally Posted by echamberlain View Post

I got it working. After a call back to the TiVo CableCard hotline, we determined that the problem was with the CableCard.

The Conditional Access menu would only display four lines of text, ending with Val:? 0x00.

I went to the local Comcast office and they swapped cards, no questions asked.

Put in the new card, this card was definitely doing more than the last card, VTC updates, and the card downloaded something.

I called the Comcast number that TiVo showed on the screen (same number I called before) and gave them the new Host ID and Data. They paired the new card and The channel lineup updated and I had HD picture before the call ended.
echamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #6406
archtv
TiVo n00b

First post here and have been looking around to catch up. FWIW, at least here in Katy, TX, one can simply drop by the local Comcast branch to pick up their Multi-Stream CableCARD. There was no charge for the card. I plugged it into the TiVo, called their tech support to enable it and waited a few minutes. It works perfectly.

Cheers,
Arch

Edit: Guess I gotta rethink the "It works perfectly" part. HD channel 298 (Versus) shows only a grey screen all of a sudden. Still have the Comcast HD DVR and it plays 298 just fine - using the same signal from the same cable outlet, so it's something to do with the TiVo or the Comcast cableCARD. A call to Comcast resulted in the usual recommendations and signal sent, to no avail. Comcast is coming next Friday to do some other work (we're switching from DSL/phone to cable) and this has been added to that ticket, so we'll see. Could be some other subscribed channels greyed out, too, but I haven't gone through all of 'em. I will say that all of our other TiVo favorite channels (about 30 total) do still work, but I need my Versus back!

Last edited by archtv : 04-20-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Probs popped up.
archtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #6407
TXPamIAm

Arrow

Houston Comcast subscriber here...I've been going through the threads here. Thanks for sharing all these tidbits. It is a wealth of info.

I wanted to share my specific issue and get some feedback or see if we're on the right track (doing all we can do) - please let me know if this is not the appropriate thread.

We just swapped our (2) Motorola cards (SS) to a Scientific Atlanta (MS). After 29 hrs, we have what looks like a completely random set of channels - both present and missing, in all channel groups: baisc, digital and HD (see the missing list, below).

We believe the first card we tried (yesterday) never accepted the firmware upgrade, so we initially blamed that for the random channels. Comcast handed us two cards when we exchanged them yesterday (luckily?), and we didn't know they were MS until we got home. The 4th tech also began suspecting the first card was bad, so we took advanage of the second SA MS card, and we began intalling it. The tech verified the replacement MS card info, and sent signals to the card while I was on the phone....but unfortunately nothing changed. The tech said to my dismay "now we wait 24 hrs for everything to update". She also offered that even if you do everything right, this happens.
It's been a couple of hours, and I look at the CA status now, and it says "Waiting for CP Auth".

There's alot of info I could share here, so if this isn't enough I will be happy to provide more...but I am just frankly unsure due to all the different answers at Comcast, that things are "ok". So thought I'd run it up the blogpole and ask for feedback. This totally differs from first CableCard install 6 mos ago (same Tivo HD box, and Comcast services) experience with Motorola cards, when groups of channels were missing (not random through the whole spectrum).

Here's the channels we GET:
304-326 D
296 HD
294 HD
75-76
57-59
53-51
42-44
22-25
2-20

Here's the channels we are NOT getting.
402-406
397-400
346-348
336-343
327-329
297-303
292-293
283-290
238-241
234-236
228-230
225-226
218-223
211-213
208-209
204-205
172-175
119-124
110-117
105-108
66-67
60-64
51-52
47-49
35-37
30-33
26-28

Things we've tried (at various times, either with Comcast reps or on our own):
-replaced first cablecard (first installed yesterday, replaced today)
-restarting Tivo (before and after all card installs)
-going through Tivo channel set up
-pulling and reattached cable coax on Tivo box
-restarting cable modem
-ensuring we had latest/greatest Tivo firmware

Some background:
-no changes to cable service in last 2 yrs (digtial with HD)
-had current Tivo box since Nov 2008; worked great until cards changed yesterday
-current Tivo box functions great (recording 2 channels at once, quality of video, audio, etc all seem just right)
-most of our favorite channels in the list, are in the "not getting" list...
TXPamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #6408
darksurtur

Just had a Cablecard/Internet install in Arlington, Va. It all ended up working, but I would definitely not call it painless, mostly because of office end problems.

Basically, after the Cable card install, the tech called the office, they activated the card, and channels came in. Only, the only channels that came in were OTA simulcasts. When I piped up to say Digital Starter includes far more than that, the office told me that Digital Starter contains the same lineup as Basic (not even Expanded) Cable. We had to call customer service, wait on hold and get no help. We ended up calling the office end again, who this time said, the proper channels won't come in until you close out the order. That worked, but what kind of backward reasoning is that? Oh, and in the process of sorting this out, the Internet was activated, then deactivated and finally activated again.

The tech was great! He said, "Customer service first. I'm not gonna leave until you get what you ordered," and he meant it. Ended up staying about two hours all total for what should have been 20 minutes at most. Unfortunately, he also said, "We all hate Cablecard installs. We don't understand the technology." I guess that is fair ... the cable company has no incentive to spend money on proper training or to make the process any simpler, I guess.
darksurtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #6409
Kyven

I just argued with Comcast again over the digital outlet fees and HD fees and I've given up. I shouldn't have to pay $20+ just for cable cards. I got an antenna. It gets nice HD reception and I'm returning the cable cards. I lose premium channels, but I'm not giving Comcast anymore money.
Kyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #6410
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyven View Post
I just argued with Comcast again over the digital outlet fees and HD fees and I've given up. I shouldn't have to pay $20+ just for cable cards. I got an antenna. It gets nice HD reception and I'm returning the cable cards. I lose premium channels, but I'm not giving Comcast anymore money.
Don't you just love how the cablecos have figured out a way around the requirement to charge a nominal fee for CableCARDs by going after other services like HD fees and Additional Outlets? Mind you, I have to assume these same charges would occur with Set Top Box customers. I'm sure these fees are to offset the loss of those fees by cableCARD customers. So far, Comcast has not started charging anything for one cableCARD where I live. They include one cableCARD as a part of Digital Starter.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #6411
Kyven

Quote:
Don't you just love how the cablecos have figured out a way around the requirement to charge a nominal fee for CableCARDs by going after other services like HD fees and Additional Outlets? Mind you, I have to assume these same charges would occur with Set Top Box customers. I'm sure these fees are to offset the loss of those fees by cableCARD customers. So far, Comcast has not started charging anything for one cableCARD where I live. They include one cableCARD as a part of Digital Starter.
Don't worry, they will get around to ripping you off too. When they started here, the costs were nominal. Now, they are just ridiculous. Check this out:

They bill me for two S Cards as follows.

1 Cable Card Free
1 Cable Card $2

Digital Service for first card $5.50
Additional Digital for second card $6.50
HDTV Service for two cards $13.90

In other words, the two cards cost me about $28 a month! The best part is that if I "rent" their box I save almost $20. Got to love comcast.
Kyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #6412
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyven View Post
They bill me for two S Cards as follows.

1 Cable Card Free
1 Cable Card $2

Digital Service for first card $5.50
Additional Digital for second card $6.50
HDTV Service for two cards $13.90

In other words, the two cards cost me about $28 a month! The best part is that if I "rent" their box I save almost $20. Got to love comcast.
Depending on how much you want to pursue this, you should be able to get that money back. Comcast national headquarters seems to be very sensitive to the charge that they are discriminating against 3rd party cablecard equipment (a big FCC no-no). If you can document the local policy and your attempts to deal locally with the problem, then write the national headquarters in Philadelphia and you should get action.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #6413
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I agree. Folks, don't just sit and take it at the local level. The reps at 800-COMCAST are not going to fix this, no matter how high you try to go there. Escalate to exec support at Comcast corporate and let the top-down approach get some action.
No one should have to pay more than the standard digital A/O fee for each Tivo after the first (assuming one M-card per Tivo, I know the extra S-card charge varies per region). The first Tivo (and CC) should be included in the monthly service fee, same as if you had a Comcast box.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #6414
sdy

Just went through this with Comcast in Redmond WA ..
My scenario, 1 series-3 (2 single stream cards), 1 hd (1 m-card), their basic settop (for on demand)

Their claim:
Series-3
1st s-card free, digital device outlet charge $5.10
2nd s-card $1.79

HD
1st m-card + outlet fee $5.10

part of this is because they claim that the "primary outlet" is consumed by
the basic digital box so I can access on-demand for services I've already paid for

At one point they tried to even tell me that the "free s-card" only applied if
I didn't have the basic digital box.

And don't get me started .. in 2006 when I first got the series-3 they told me that
the cable-cards were free and there was no outlet fee for the tivo .. of course they
changed that in 2007 when I bought the 2nd HD and needed an m-card.

Really seems like they're scamming the system.
sdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #6415
sdy

Oh, and I don't know how to access the exec support lines .. so instead I sent emails to the commissioners of the FCC
at www dot fcc dot gov/contacts.html
and also sent emails through the system at www dot whitehouse dot gov ... it may not work, but I feel better. Just keep it clean and to the point, maybe with enough complaints
someone will look into it .. especially with all the other DTV issues

(sorry not enough posts to allow me to use real URLs)
sdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #6416
rdlm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPamIAm View Post
We just swapped our (2) Motorola cards (SS) to a Scientific Atlanta (MS). After 29 hrs, we have what looks like a completely random set of channels - both present and missing, in all channel groups: baisc, digital and HD (see the missing list, below).
Are the "random channels" that you are getting actually showing up on the right channel number? It sounds similar to what happened to me, but in my case, the channel numbers didn't map to the correct channels. After getting escalated to a more knowledable support tier, they discovered that my area has two "head ends" (their terminology; not sure of the specifics) available, both listed as serving the same exact area. They changed me from one to the other, sent a msg to the CC, and everything started working correctly.
rdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #6417
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdy View Post
Just went through this with Comcast in Redmond WA ..
My scenario, 1 series-3 (2 single stream cards), 1 hd (1 m-card), their basic settop (for on demand)

Their claim:
Series-3
1st s-card free, digital device outlet charge $5.10
2nd s-card $1.79

HD
1st m-card + outlet fee $5.10

part of this is because they claim that the "primary outlet" is consumed by
the basic digital box so I can access on-demand for services I've already paid for

At one point they tried to even tell me that the "free s-card" only applied if
I didn't have the basic digital box.
You're getting charged exactly what you should be charged - each Tivo after your included digital box is an extra digital outlet and you'll get charged for that, just as if you rented a couple of standard boxes from them. I get charged the same way.

Do I like it? No. But everyone with boxes pays these charges, so I don't see why having a Tivo would be different. My post was mostly in regards to the 'HD service fee' crap that they try to stick on Tivos - that fee is only supposed to be charged if you rent one of their HD boxes, and HD channels are supposed to be included in the service fee for each tier now. But you're not getting hit with that, so I don't see your beef.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #6418
jtmiller

As a followup, Comcast came out last Friday and the tech had two M-cards. Installation took an hour since the headend wasn't sending authorization for anything at first. The tech got someone at the headend and sent a note enumerating exactly which channels were missing, pretty much anything above 200.

He stuck with it until there was only one missing, gave me his cell phone number and told me to call if the last one didn't show up within an hour. It popped in about 20 minutes after he left.

So far everything has been working fine.

My online webpage for "recent activity" hasn't yet been updated which is pretty weird. I would have thought they would have already nicked me for the truck roll.

My next bill should be May 7. Should be interesting to see what's on it.

jtm
jtmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #6419
dverespey

Bit the bullet and bought a HD Tivo due to the digital upgrade in the SF Bay Area (Just didn't want to bother with the IR blasters and a box)

Stopped by the local Comcast office to pick up the M Card on the way home yesterday. Hooked the new Tivo up, did the guided setup, forced it to call home again about an hour later to get the latest software updates.

Once that was done I took a deep breath and prepared for the dreaded cable card insert. Followed the written and on screen directions and called the Comcast number. Gave the tech the required configuration numbers and waited. Fifteen minutes later, it worked. Holy cow, no problems.

Stayed up later than I should have playing with my new toy and coping over my old season passes.

Thanks to the early adopters, my setup went like a breeze.
dverespey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #6420
Maniac1140

Has anyone in the Memphis area had a good install? I have an HD Tivo and have already been through like 6 cable cards (3 truck rolls with a 4th one scheduled for this weekend). Some of the premium channels are not coming in (encrypeted ones) and the SA card screen as "Waiting for CP Auth"
Maniac1140 is offline   Reply With Quote