TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #6361
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Ah! Turns out that this TiVo was purchased from weaKnees with an upgraded 320GB hard drive. And the warranty page that came with it is for three years, although I don't recall purchasing an extended warranty. (I've got two separate warranty pages that say this, and I purchased two TiVos from weaKnees, so this page definitely came with the problem TiVo.)

So now I'm emailing weaKnees to see how to handle a possible warranty repair.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #6362
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

It's definitely the hard drive!

I transferred an HD recording from another TiVo -- one that I know was good all the way through. And the problem TiVo choked on the file at the 45-minute mark. Pixelation, freeze, and reboot. So the problem occurred without involving the problem TiVo's tuners or the Comcast signal.

Whew! Nice to know what the problem is. Unfortunately, it's not the TiVo with a three-year extended warranty. So it's going to cost me $249 plus shipping to get it replaced with a 500GB drive and a two-year warranty.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #6363
jyung

S3 in Bay Area

Hi, I have an original S3 TiVo and am located in the Bay Area (Mountain View). I was hoping to clarify which/how many cards I needed before I ventured off to Comcast land. Could someone please chime in?

It seems like I need two cards (M or S?). Also, seems like people have had good luck just wandering into the local Comcast office in San Jose.

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experience!
jyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #6364
arson

2 cablecards needed for the original Series 3. The comcast office probably won't have any S cards, but M cards will work just as well. I had no problems picking it up, but it took about 45 minutes for the phone call with comcast tech support to successfully activate the cards. YMMV.
arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #6365
Kyven

I'm curious if anyone has a different pricing model in Palm Beach County. Comcast wants to charge me a digital fee and HD fee for each of the two S Cards in my Tivo. I was told in no uncertain terms that if they don't charge this they won't work. I explained the website and they said the card was free and the second $2, but the fees are separate.
Kyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #6366
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
So it's going to cost me $249 plus shipping to get it replaced with a 500GB drive and a two-year warranty.
If you can do it yourself, a 1TB drive with 3-year warranty would cost you less than $100.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #6367
nirisahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyven View Post
I'm curious if anyone has a different pricing model in Palm Beach County. Comcast wants to charge me a digital fee and HD fee for each of the two S Cards in my Tivo. I was told in no uncertain terms that if they don't charge this they won't work. I explained the website and they said the card was free and the second $2, but the fees are separate.
Comcast Denver doesn't do that. I have one digital package for the whole house and 1 HD fee for one HD receiver and a TiVo HD with an M card. In fact, for future packages they've raised the price and included HD and one receiver whether you want it or not. But I'm not paying an extra digital fee or HD fee for the M card either currently or when my new package starts later this month.
nirisahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #6368
Warlord46

Quote:
Kyven -- I just posted a thread in the Comcast forum, asking if there were others in Florida getting gouged like I was. It looks like you might be another. I talked Comcast into lowering charges on my Series 3 Tivos, and it worked for a month. Then they jacked the price even higher than before. I'm paying $30 for a Tivo to do the same thing their DVR will do for $14, only not as good. If you would like to discuss this further and maybe work together to help each other get S. Fla. Comcast to bring their pricing in line with Comcast around the country, please send me an email to graylaw46@gmail.com. I know we are getting hosed compared to everywhere else, and it's not right.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #6369
mae

Comcast makes breaking up hard to do!

A note of caution to those leaving Comcast for FIOS (or any other provider).

My FIOS install was 3/25. When I was sure everything was working on 3/30 I called Comcast to terminate my service. I then drove to their local office and turned in my equipment (HD box and CableCard from the TiVo).

The next day their online system showed I was still active. I contacted them through the web site and received a reply that service would be billed until they disconnected me at the tap, but I would receive credit back to 3/30.

Over a week passed and still no physical disconnect. So, per their reply, I used online chat. Twenty minutes and 2 CSRs later, all I could find out was I was scheduled for disconnect on 4/13, two weeks after I returned their equipment. When I asked them to confirm I would have to pay for this delay, they told me I had to contact my local office, who had sent me to chat.

I have been told by both the local office and someone in management in response to my email to the CEO/COO that while billing has continued, I will only be charged to 3/30, and in fact will be due a small refund.

This seems to vary with other areas in the country according to this thread on the FIOS support forum (http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board...3778&jump=true), where two posters state they received their final bill immediately upon their request for termination. Another poster claims they tried to make him pay for the 18 day delay.

So, all you Comcast customers, be sure to keep good records of who and how you notify Comcast when you move out of Comcast Town.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #6370
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Comcast of Union (NJ) just added 12 HD channels. MLB, AMC, CNN, Animal Planet, Sci-Fi, TBS, Discovery, Golf, Versus, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Only thing is, AMC is sharing channel 238 with HD on Demand -- is that one of those split-channel thingies that I'm going to need the special tuner dongle for?

Finally, something to thank Comcast for, even though 39 HD channels still doesn't come close to Verizon's 100 channels on FiOS. Which I can't get because I don't live in a single-family home.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #6371
JTLintstockings

Comcast CableCard Tivo Grey Screen Resolution

Just want to say that I was having the grey screen issues on certain channels, those middle channels between basic and digital. I made several calls to comcast support, nothing ... had a tech come out, nothing, oh wait he did replace the wire going to my house WTF? Then I went to getsatisfaction dot com for comcast and reported my problem; The problem was fixed by next morning. The problem was that the CableCard was not paired with the Tivo and they did not have my account properly linked up with the cable card, just like the Tivo website says is the likely problem. I ended up talking to a tech at the Headend, the guy you will never get to talk to by calling 1-800-comcast, and he fixed it. He asked for the cablecard serial number, host number, etc. Funny, when I asked the guy at Comcast support if he needed all these numbers, he said all that was automatic. Yeah right. Anyway everyone was friendly, helpful and prompt after going to that website. Just wish I could have talked to the Headend guy to start with. He was the man of the hour! Good luck.
JTLintstockings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #6372
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Comcast of Union (NJ) just added 12 HD channels. MLB, AMC, CNN, Animal Planet, Sci-Fi, TBS, Discovery, Golf, Versus, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Only thing is, AMC is sharing channel 238 with HD on Demand -- is that one of those split-channel thingies that I'm going to need the special tuner dongle for?

Finally, something to thank Comcast for, even though 39 HD channels still doesn't come close to Verizon's 100 channels on FiOS. Which I can't get because I don't live in a single-family home.
Since I got rid of my last cable box I don't really know what's going on with the OnDemand offerings anymore, however our local Comcast system had offered Breaking Bad in HD on Demand. I gather that they may offer all their HD content that way; so it is likely that they're not really carrying an AMC HD channel; just offering AMC HD content via their OnDemand system, making it unavailable to TiVo units so far, tuning adapter or no tuning adapter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #6373
Bob Lee

I never found any of Comcast's on-demand offerings very compelling, especially when it came to HD. And for the past year or so they stopped offering HBO on-demand, which was the main source for my on-demand viewing.
Bob Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #6374
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Since I got rid of my last cable box I don't really know what's going on with the OnDemand offerings anymore, however our local Comcast system had offered Breaking Bad in HD on Demand. I gather that they may offer all their HD content that way; so it is likely that they're not really carrying an AMC HD channel; just offering AMC HD content via their OnDemand system, making it unavailable to TiVo units so far, tuning adapter or no tuning adapter.
I was able to watch AMC-HD yesterday on the TiVo, so that theory is bust.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #6375
jjobev

Pixelation issues and high RS corrected

Hello,
I've been having terrible pixelation and have had multiple techs come to my house. I was having the problem on my TivoHD and Comcast DVR. It looks like the problem is now fixed on the DVR, but is still happening on the Tivo. Since the DVR is working, Comcast thinks the problem is resolved. I've been doing some research and looked in the Diagnostics screen and noticed that on the NBC HD channel, which is one that is breaking up badly, that the SNR is 30, the signal strength is 50, the RS uncorrected is ~7000 and the RS Corrected is 6,778,714 and rapidly increasing. This is ridiculously high right? Any thoughts on ways I can try to fix this? They are bringing a new cablecard this week, but is there any chance that is really the problem?
jjobev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #6376
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjobev View Post
Hello,
I've been having terrible pixelation and have had multiple techs come to my house. I was having the problem on my TivoHD and Comcast DVR. It looks like the problem is now fixed on the DVR, but is still happening on the Tivo. Since the DVR is working, Comcast thinks the problem is resolved. I've been doing some research and looked in the Diagnostics screen and noticed that on the NBC HD channel, which is one that is breaking up badly, that the SNR is 30, the signal strength is 50, the RS uncorrected is ~7000 and the RS Corrected is 6,778,714 and rapidly increasing. This is ridiculously high right? Any thoughts on ways I can try to fix this? They are bringing a new cablecard this week, but is there any chance that is really the problem?
I fixed any and all pixelation problems by using a Spectrum
Analyzer to make sure the SIGNAL is at the right level at
each DVR. I have a BIG house and 6 DVRs scattered around.

The Comcast Techs all have one - and a GOOD ONE at that.

I bought my own - a Channel Vision M2000. Using Amplifiers
and Attenuators as needed - I made sure each DVR had a
ZERO to +5 DB signal Level.

A signal TOO HOT and the CableCard attenuates the incoming
signal and you get nothing. Too Low and you get pixelation!
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #6377
jtmiller

HD Charge?

My M-card is scheduled for installation tomorrow. The CSR tried to tell me that there would still be an "HD charge" on top of my Digital Classic lineup charge after the 3416 is removed.

After arguing with her for a while with no success I decided to just have the card installed and argue with billing later.

Today I was on the Comcast website and found the $7.50 HD charge she was referring to. It is an "equipment charge" for a cable box which has no DVR capability. Obviously I won't need that with my TIVO HDXL with the Mcard.

Once the card gets installed and I can see my account updated online I start challenging this charge if it is truely present.

grrrr....come on FIOS...

jtm
jtmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #6378
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Not having any freezes or pixelations on the newest TiVo with its M-card in the bedroom, so the problem with my other TiVo apparently was the hard drive, after all.

At least I didn't spend more than $12 on those unnecessary attenuators...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #6379
Kyven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmiller View Post
My M-card is scheduled for installation tomorrow. The CSR tried to tell me that there would still be an "HD charge" on top of my Digital Classic lineup charge after the 3416 is removed.

After arguing with her for a while with no success I decided to just have the card installed and argue with billing later.

Today I was on the Comcast website and found the $7.50 HD charge she was referring to. It is an "equipment charge" for a cable box which has no DVR capability. Obviously I won't need that with my TIVO HDXL with the Mcard.

Once the card gets installed and I can see my account updated online I start challenging this charge if it is truely present.

grrrr....come on FIOS...

jtm
I have the same charge and made the same argument here in South Florida and its like talking to a wall. When I explained how the charge made no sense, they agreed and said I should dump Tivo and get their cable box to save money.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #6380
Puppy76

Quote:
I have the same charge and made the same argument here in South Florida and its like talking to a wall. When I explained how the charge made no sense, they agreed and said I should dump Tivo and get their cable box to save money.
How about dumping Comcast to save money? That makes far more sense.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #6381
jtmiller

Since I only have one outlet there won't be any room for "confusion" on their part wrt to what the charges should be.

Verizon pricing looks very appealing but they're still 15 miles south of here working their way north with their street by street fiber deployment. I don't expect them here until late this year.

The Comcast "install" today was unsuccessful. The Comcast guy showed up with two single stream cards, one M-card and a work order which said "install two single stream cards in Tivo and remove 3416." That's inspite of me telling the CSR who scheduled the install three or four times that I only needed "one M-card". She argued with me over that fact for quite sometime before obviously ignoring me and putting in whatever she wanted into the work order.

The fact that he had an Mcard was a pure coincidence. He installed the card and all the proper screens popped up and he called the info in. However the person at the other end after having the number repeated several times to verify stated that the card was assigned to another account and she wasn't allowed to change that and assign it to my account. The tech called the depot to get another M-card and was told there aren't any in stock.

So....another truck roll is scheduled for 8-11am tomorrow. Even the tech said he didn't know why they made this so difficult. He seemed pretty annoyed with the process as well.

So stay tuned for another episode tomorrow of "As the Truck Rolls".

jtm
Old 04-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #6382
stujac

Quote:
Since I only have one outlet there won't be any room for "confusion" on their part wrt to what the charges should be.

Verizon pricing looks very appealing but they're still 15 miles south of here working their way north with their street by street fiber deployment. I don't expect them here until late this year.

The Comcast "install" today was unsuccessful. The Comcast guy showed up with two single stream cards, one M-card and a work order which said "install two single stream cards in Tivo and remove 3416." That's inspite of me telling the CSR who scheduled the install three or four times that I only needed "one M-card". She argued with me over that fact for quite sometime before obviously ignoring me and putting in whatever she wanted into the work order.

The fact that he had an Mcard was a pure coincidence. He installed the card and all the proper screens popped up and he called the info in. However the person at the other end after having the number repeated several times to verify stated that the card was assigned to another account and she wasn't allowed to change that and assign it to my account. The tech called the depot to get another M-card and was told there aren't any in stock.

So....another truck roll is scheduled for 8-11am tomorrow. Even the tech said he didn't know why they made this so difficult. He seemed pretty annoyed with the process as well.

So stay tuned for another episode tomorrow of "As the Truck Rolls".

jtm
This exact thing happened to me but it was my good fortune that I had a tech that wouldn't give up. When he called in the "regular way" he was told it would take overnight to fix; he used his cell phone and called his home base and knew a person there that had this issue previously so she fixed it on the spot. Took an hour and a half but when the tech left it was working and has been perfect ever since.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #6383
Puppy76

Good grief, this company actively tries to get rid of its customers.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #6384
Kyven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
How about dumping Comcast to save money? That makes far more sense.
I'd love to, but they are the only game in town unless i go satellite. I need the cable cards because Tivo has no QAM mapping.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #6385
steveliv

Quote:

jtm
The $7.50 charge ($6.95 in my area) is for the HD channels, which includes a free HD Box. You do realize that you can't simply receive HD channels for free, other than local broadcast stations. You have to pay for the HD channels, they are an extra service, and get added to your account. If you do not want the extra HD channels they can remove them and the $7.50 charge from your account.
steveliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #6386
pl1

Quote:
My Series 3 unit requires two cableCARDs for the dual-tuner and Comcast continues to bill me for an additional outlet (A/O) of $6.99 per month. It is like talking to a wall.

When it was $2.50, I had 3 A/O charges for 4 cableCARDs. When they increased the price to $5.00 per month, I dropped 2 of my cableCARDs.

Now that they increased the A/O price again to $6.99 per month, I dropped another cableCARD and Showtime for good measure (can you say Netflix?).

Comcast just does not give up increasing prices and the only way I can see to combat it is to decrease the services I order.

I have one Series 3 strictly Over The Air HD and it works great. If Comcast keeps it up, I will simply drop to Internet only for $52.95 with free basic.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #6387
scotttc2000

I have to complement Comcast. I called on tuesday, for an appointment was given an appointment 2 weeks in advance. The customer service rep said she would try to get me an earlier appointment. The next day I got a cryptic email saying that appointment was moved up to thursday. Thursday comes around, and comcast installs a single m-card (still being charged for 2 cards), and TIVO is working working properly in 10 minutes.
scotttc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #6388
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttc2000 View Post
single m-card (still being charged for 2 cards)
When the TiVo HD first came out and Comcast installed M-Cards, I thought most people reported only being charged for 1 card. That was the reason why those of us with the older S3 wanted TiVo to start supporting dual-tuners with one M-Card. Have they now changed their stance and started charging for two cabelCARDs even if you only get one? How about Digital Additional Outlet charges?
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #6389
jtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveliv View Post
The $7.50 charge ($6.95 in my area) is for the HD channels, which includes a free HD Box. You do realize that you can't simply receive HD channels for free, other than local broadcast stations. You have to pay for the HD channels, they are an extra service, and get added to your account. If you do not want the extra HD channels they can remove them and the $7.50 charge from your account.
On their website the "HD charge" is clearly labeled as an equipment charge. The "lineups" page and pricing has no requirement for such equipment specified. I pay extra for the lineup which includes the HD channels. Consequently I don't think the HD charge for the 'box' should apply.

No way to tell yet as they didn't show up again today since they are out of Mcards locally and don't expect delivery until Thursday. Install now scheduled for Friday. Of course they didn't tell me that until specifically asked them if they were bringing out Mcards this time.

jtm
Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #6390
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
The fine print under the listing of HDTV channels in our printed Channel Line-up brochure for Comcast of Monmouth, January 2009:

*HDTV broadcast feeds are included in Limited Basic Service. To receive HDTV feeds provided by Comcast, HDTV capable television set (not provided by Comcast), HDTV equipment and/or HDTV capable digital converter are required. To receive premium HDTV feeds, subscription to premium service and a HDTV capable digital converter are required. To receive Digital Classic HDTV feeds, subscription to Digital Classic and a HDTV capable digital converter are required. To receive Sports Entertainment Package HDTV feeds, subscription to Sports Entertainment Package and a HDTV capable converter are required.

---
There is no HDTV programming charge. The HDTV programming comes with the various package levels, where the non-HDTV versions of the same channels are located. The HD charges are for equipment. Specifically for a tuner or for a DVR. CableCARD's aren't "equipment"; a CableCARD alone (or more than one) does not get an additional HD fee added.

Certainly with so many small capable systems being integrated into one company over the years, and so many pricing structures affected by local franchise agreements as well as state and local laws, things can vary depending on the system, but from the ime people had sent me copies of their pricing and channel lineups, except for some slight wording differences, everything was pretty consistent between those systems.

What does vary, sometimes quite a bit, is what sort of mess individual customer service agents will make of billing codes on your account, leading you to pay for things you don't need to be paying for, or, in some cases, not paying for things you should be paying for. And those can be a pain to sort out, and usually require intervention from corporate, but can be sorted out if you're willing to be a little persistent about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote