TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #421
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroscope352 View Post
Uh, it's not letting me post my post. It says I can't post links. How can I make it post my log (I think it's the log that's the problem)?
Post the file as an attachment (you will probably need to zip it up first) using the "manage Attachments" link at the bottom of the reply editor
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #422
Gyroscope352
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav
Unchange all those values

is your mac on the same subnet as the tivo? is there any sort of firewalling in your network? Is your tivo up to date with the latest software release? Anything interesting in /tmp/pyTivoX.log or /tmp/pyTivoX-SB.log?

Did you enable streambaby? And if so does anything show up under Photos/Music/Showcases for it?

I believe it is on the same subnet (you may need to be more specific on what that means). I am pretty sure there is a bit of firewalling, but I do not know if that is affecting this or not - I can download stuff with iTivo (evidence that it doesn't affect it), but it takes about 2 hours to download a 1 hour episode (possible evidence that the firewall is slowing it down (?)). Oddly enough, though I don't know what "subnet" means, I'm pretty experienced with port forwarding and the like, so if that will help perhaps I can do that. If the firewall is the issue.

My TiVo software is version 11.0b-01-2-652. Is that the most recent version?

log merely says "INFOyTivoyTivo is ready."

I can't post my SB.log because it won't let me post links.

This is with two tries, one with the default settings and one with a different port/with my TiVo's ip plugged into the config.

Streambaby is enabled, and it does show up in showcases but it never loads (I just get a grey screen that says "please wait..." and it never changes).

Hope this helps.
Gyroscope352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #423
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroscope352 View Post
I believe it is on the same subnet (you may need to be more specific on what that means). I am pretty sure there is a bit of firewalling, but I do not know if that is affecting this or not - I can download stuff with iTivo (evidence that it doesn't affect it), but it takes about 2 hours to download a 1 hour episode (possible evidence that the firewall is slowing it down (?)). Oddly enough, though I don't know what "subnet" means, I'm pretty experienced with port forwarding and the like, so if that will help perhaps I can do that. If the firewall is the issue.

My TiVo software is version 11.0b-01-2-652. Is that the most recent version?

log merely says "INFOyTivoyTivo is ready."

I can't post my SB.log because it won't let me post links.

This is with two tries, one with the default settings and one with a different port/with my TiVo's ip plugged into the config.

Streambaby is enabled, and it does show up in showcases but it never loads (I just get a grey screen that says "please wait..." and it never changes).

Hope this helps.
Software seems fine. downloads from tivo are always slow, so no worries there. you shouldn't need to port forward unless your tivo is behind a router that the computer is on the other side of (that's what not being on the same subnet implies). in iTiVo, does the tivo name appear on the list of tivos to select? or do you have to manually type in the IP address?

Did you add a media share (like a videos directory with some videos in it?) Did you hit 'apply' after doing that?

Does the pyTivoX-SB.log file have anything like an 'error' of any sorts in there?
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #424
lynncosbm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 383
I've been using pyTivoX for a couple months now and I love it. In the latest update, I noticed there is a tab called pyTivo which gives an option for Push Support. Can someone please explain what this means and how it works? Thanks very much.
lynncosbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #425
Gyroscope352
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Software seems fine. downloads from tivo are always slow, so no worries there. you shouldn't need to port forward unless your tivo is behind a router that the computer is on the other side of (that's what not being on the same subnet implies). in iTiVo, does the tivo name appear on the list of tivos to select? or do you have to manually type in the IP address?

Did you add a media share (like a videos directory with some videos in it?) Did you hit 'apply' after doing that?

Does the pyTivoX-SB.log file have anything like an 'error' of any sorts in there?
There do not appear to be any errors of any sort (though I think I'm at 5 now, so I'll post the log for you). My media share folder has been applied. When I first installed iTiVo, I had to manually type in the IP address, but after that the IP stays there and my TiVo's name shows up.
Gyroscope352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #426
Gyroscope352
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
Here's my SB.log

Initializing...
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:03.885| |main|StreamBabyConfig|WorkingDir: /private/tmp
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:03.886| |main|StreamBabyConfig|StreamBabyDir: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/streambaby
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:03.886| |main|StreamBabyConfig|CurDir: /private/tmp
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.050| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Loading avutil, default: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavutil.dylib
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.052| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Loaded: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavutil.dylib
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.052| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Loading avcodec, default: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavcodec.dylib
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.055| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Loaded: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavcodec.dylib
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.062| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Loaded avCodec version: 52 (3413760)
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.062| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Loading avformat, default: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavformat.dylib
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.063| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Loaded: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavformat.dylib
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.064| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Loaded avFormat version: 52 (3416064)
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.064| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Loading swscale, default: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libswscale.dylib
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.065| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Loaded: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libswscale.dylib
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.071| |main|FFmpegJavaConfig$1|Marking libswscale as available.
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.316| |main|FFmpegJavaVideoModule|FFmpeg-java Module: loaded
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.323| |main|FFmpegExeVideoModule|FFmpegPath: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg.bin
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.323| |main|FFmpegExeVideoModule|FFmpegExeModule: Loaded
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.358| |main|RootDirEntry$dirEntryHandler|dirEntry: file:/Users/whitsongordon/Documents/Share%20Folder/
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.403| |main|PreviewCacheUtils|Cache Clean complete
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.403| |main|StreamBabyMain|STARTING StreamBaby v20090404-0248...
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.404| |main|Main|args= start=true
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.404| |main|Main|args= loader=sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@33056f
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.447| |main|Listener|config=com.tivo.hme.host.util.Config@1e7cc6 logger=com.unwiredappeal.tivo.utils.Log$ILoggerImpl@91e321
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.499| |main|Listener|factoryList=[StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,pyTivoX - whitson-gordons-macbook.local]]
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.500| |main|Listener|factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,pyTivoX - whitson-gordons-macbook.local]
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.500| |main|Listener|name=/streambaby/
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.500| |main|Listener|
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.500| |main|Listener|added factory
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.500| |main|Main|factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,pyTivoX - whitson-gordons-macbook.local]
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.500| |main|Main|MDNS: http://10.0.1.9:7290/streambaby/
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.500| |main|Main|streambaby ready & listening.
Sun 2009/04/05 13:02:04.501| |main|Main|mdns_type=_tivo-hme._tcp.local. factory=StreamBabyStreamFactory[/streambaby/,pyTivoX - whitson-gordons-macbook.local] port=7290

EDIT: dang, THERE'S the link! I did not know that was there...lol.
Gyroscope352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #427
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynncosbm View Post
I've been using pyTivoX for a couple months now and I love it. In the latest update, I noticed there is a tab called pyTivo which gives an option for Push Support. Can someone please explain what this means and how it works? Thanks very much.
Normally, the way you use pyTivo is by running it on your computer, then going to your tivo, and browsing your computer's media through the "Now Playing" list. When you find something you like, you "pull" it to your tivo.

An alternative approach is the obtuse 'push' method. Instead of telling your tivo to pull the file, you can tell your computer to 'push' the file to the tivo (through a messy sequence). In order for this to work, you need to provide pytivo with the username (usually an email) and password that you use to log into tivo.com. Once you provide that, you can go to http://localhost:9032/ from a web browser on the pytivo computer. There you will see a 'video shares' link where you can browse your media, and initiate the push.

If you happen to have both streambaby AND pytivo enabled, AND you have provided the account information to pytivo, you can also use the streambaby gui to initiate a push of the file instead of streaming it.

There are a few advantages to push over pull (the biggest is that you can push certain mp4 files without transcoding). But I also think it's more confusing than it's worth. I've been avoiding adding support for it but enough people were asking for it so I did.
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #428
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroscope352 View Post
Here's my SB.log

Initializing...
Bleah, the bad/good news is that the entire log is completely normal. I'm of the opinion that your home network allows your computer to talk freely to the tivo, but is somehow preventing the tivo from initiating a conversation with your computer. Is there a router between the two? Is your tivo's IP address something like '10.0.1.xyz' ?
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #429
philby85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
The streambaby.ini you would want to edit is in <user>/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/streambaby.ini

If you make changes to it, never use the 'apply' button or it will overwrite those.
Thanks Yoav, I appreciate the reply. All working fine now.

cheers

Phil
philby85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #430
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant
 
Sevenfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 146
Just posted this PM to wmcbrine but thought the rest of the community should read it...

Re: #3-5-6 error on slow machines (like mine!)

Thanks for the PM on this subject. I haven't hit it very hard yet but I upgraded it yesterday based on your message. Before, it was pretty easy to get a #3-5-6 error. Now I don't see it. I'll let you know if it holds up. What I still have problems with is music streaming. The audio still breaks up, something that Tivo Desktop for Mac doesn't do. Tivo Desktop uses Lame (user installed) if your music isn't in MP3 format. I'm curious to know what pyTivoX is using since I think Lame is part of the package. On a PPC machine, there's a special distro of Lame to deal with the PPC's reversed method of dealing with data (as opposed to Intel architecture). Not sure what's going on here...
__________________
Rick
Sevenfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #431
lynncosbm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Normally, the way you use pyTivo is by running it on your computer, then going to your tivo, and browsing your computer's media through the "Now Playing" list. When you find something you like, you "pull" it to your tivo.

An alternative approach is the obtuse 'push' method. Instead of telling your tivo to pull the file, you can tell your computer to 'push' the file to the tivo (through a messy sequence). In order for this to work, you need to provide pytivo with the username (usually an email) and password that you use to log into tivo.com. Once you provide that, you can go to http://localhost:9032/ from a web browser on the pytivo computer. There you will see a 'video shares' link where you can browse your media, and initiate the push.

If you happen to have both streambaby AND pytivo enabled, AND you have provided the account information to pytivo, you can also use the streambaby gui to initiate a push of the file instead of streaming it.

There are a few advantages to push over pull (the biggest is that you can push certain mp4 files without transcoding). But I also think it's more confusing than it's worth. I've been avoiding adding support for it but enough people were asking for it so I did.
Thanks for the reply Yoav, I'll have to give it a try!
lynncosbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #432
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
Just posted this PM to wmcbrine but thought the rest of the community should read it...

Re: #3-5-6 error on slow machines (like mine!)

Thanks for the PM on this subject. I haven't hit it very hard yet but I upgraded it yesterday based on your message. Before, it was pretty easy to get a #3-5-6 error. Now I don't see it. I'll let you know if it holds up. What I still have problems with is music streaming. The audio still breaks up, something that Tivo Desktop for Mac doesn't do. Tivo Desktop uses Lame (user installed) if your music isn't in MP3 format. I'm curious to know what pyTivoX is using since I think Lame is part of the package. On a PPC machine, there's a special distro of Lame to deal with the PPC's reversed method of dealing with data (as opposed to Intel architecture). Not sure what's going on here...
I honestly don't know what pytivo uses for music. I do compile ffmpeg with the mp3lame libraries, but I didn't think pytivo uses ffmpeg to stream audio (?). If there's some other tool or library I need to supply I'll be glad to include it though...

edit Note to self: check source code before opening mouth . It does look like transcodes are down with ffmpeg after all . Anyways, the ffmpeg as shipped includes the lame libraries, but there might be other audio formats that are not supported... Then again, if you have 'choppy' audio that doesn't sound like a missing codec...

As for the PPC reveresed method.. I build the lame libraries seperately for powerpc and i386, with different autoconf settings to match the processor. However, it is the same source code... so if there is a bug in it with ppc processors, the bug will appear... Do you have a pointer to the lame you're mentioning?
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Yoav : 04-06-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #433
Scot Kight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 40
anyone know how to make pytivox do subtitles?

Let me define this a bit better. For MKV files with subtitle streams, how do I make them available using streambaby?

Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x720, PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: vorbis, 32000 Hz, stereo, s16
Stream #0.2: Subtitle: 0x0000
Stream #0.3: Subtitle: 0x0000

Last edited by Scot Kight : 04-06-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Scot Kight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #434
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight View Post
anyone know how to make pytivox do subtitles?

Let me define this a bit better. For MKV files with subtitle streams, how do I make them available using streambaby?

Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x720, PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: vorbis, 32000 Hz, stereo, s16
Stream #0.2: Subtitle: 0x0000
Stream #0.3: Subtitle: 0x0000
Right now the only subtitles pyTivoX supports and ONLY through streambaby is subtitles in an .srt file. If the mkv contains srt subtitles (there are multiple types of possible subtitles) you can extract it with mkvextract . Instead of extracting them from the mkv, you can also do a google search for the srt file for your movie (there are websites out there that just contain srt files in every language for almost every DVD out there) and download it.

IF you have a movie like 'movie.mkv' and a file named 'movie.srt' in the same directory, then you can use the 'aspect' button to turn on and off the subtitles.
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #435
Scot Kight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 40
Hmm.. Extracted and put into the same directory. File is same name, and capitalization. when i hit aspect i get a small yellow "thought bubble" with a red error circle in it.

Extracting track 3 with the CodecID 'S_TEXT/ASS' to the file 'movie.srt'. Container format: SSA/ASS text subtitles
progress: 100%

Mon 2009/04/06 13:38:54.698| |Acceptor|ViewScreen|code=22 rawcode=16790806
Scot Kight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #436
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight View Post
Hmm.. Extracted and put into the same directory. File is same name, and capitalization. when i hit aspect i get a small yellow "thought bubble" with a red error circle in it.

Extracting track 3 with the CodecID 'S_TEXT/ASS' to the file 'movie.srt'. Container format: SSA/ASS text subtitles
progress: 100%

Mon 2009/04/06 13:38:54.698| |Acceptor|ViewScreen|code=22 rawcode=16790806
SSA/ASS is not SRT . As the previous post said, it HAS to be srt format.
You should probably just go look for a pre-made srt file for your movie. There might be some tools that convert SSA to SRT, but I'm not sure.

edit google search gave me this: http://www.akira.ru/osc/ssa2srt.php
Does it work?

It's probably not that hard to add a basic SSA support to streambaby though (I mean, it would ignore the graphics, colors, and location info, and just present the subtitles as if they were srt subs)... hmmm..
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Yoav : 04-06-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #437
Scot Kight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 40
Bingo! Thanks for that, it works fine now.

One thing interesting is that on the ffmpeg page they are talking about supporting SSA/ASS. My only problem is I am not sure what they mean to this situation, if anything. I've tried a bunch of -scodec options but nothing seems to be able to put the subtitles into the final stream, though maybe I am missing something simple as the command formats are a bit odd to me.

December 3, 2008

A bunch of new formats have recently been added to FFmpeg, namely a QCELP/PureVoice speech decoder, a floating point PCM decoder and encoder, a Nellymoser ASAO encoder, an Electronic Arts TGQ decoder, Speex decoding via libspeex, an MXF muxer, an ASS/SSA subtitle demuxer and muxer and our AC-3 decoder has been extended with E-AC-3 support. Last but not least we now have a decoder for RealVideo 4.0.
Scot Kight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #438
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight View Post
Bingo! Thanks for that, it works fine now.

One thing interesting is that on the ffmpeg page they are talking about supporting SSA/ASS. My only problem is I am not sure what they mean to this situation, if anything. I've tried a bunch of -scodec options but nothing seems to be able to put the subtitles into the final stream, though maybe I am missing something simple as the command formats are a bit odd to me.

December 3, 2008

A bunch of new formats have recently been added to FFmpeg, namely a QCELP/PureVoice speech decoder, a floating point PCM decoder and encoder, a Nellymoser ASAO encoder, an Electronic Arts TGQ decoder, Speex decoding via libspeex, an MXF muxer, an ASS/SSA subtitle demuxer and muxer and our AC-3 decoder has been extended with E-AC-3 support. Last but not least we now have a decoder for RealVideo 4.0.
I'm no expert, but I would guess they are talking about allowing you to take something like an SSA stream from one container to another. Not 'burn the text into the video stream'. Having said that, if your ultimate goal is a movie with the subtitles burned-in, I believe VLC can do that for you. If you do that though, you can never turn off the subtitles.
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #439
kearygriffin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
It's probably not that hard to add a basic SSA support to streambaby though (I mean, it would ignore the graphics, colors, and location info, and just present the subtitles as if they were srt subs)... hmmm..
I probably won't ever get to it, but after moyekj added the initial subtitle support, I did look into trying to integrate pieces of this project:
http://www.jubler.org/download/index.php
(By look into I mean browsed through the SVN repo to get a handle on what it would take)

It seems to abstract a bunch of different subtitle formats into a standard API that streambaby could deal with.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #440
tombonneau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 85
Just downloaded the latest version of this software after hearing the rave reviews.

I've gotten three folders to show up on my TiVo Now Playing:

iTunes Music/Movies
iTunes Music/TV Shows
And a non-iTunes Video Folder (The Smurfs)

The Smurfs folders are some episodes I, erm, procured via the Internet. These are .avi files.

The Smurfs episodes I'm able to view no problem; however, neither of the iTunes folders are working.

The files show up, but when I click to play them, they say they are transferring and they show up at the top of Now Playing, but nothing ever seems to happen. When click play for them, I get the gray screen, and the progress bar at the bottom shows no progress.

Thoughts? Will this program not work with iTunes video files? Is it a DRM issue? Or am I doing something wrong?

FWIW, I have the folder type set to "video" which was the default ...
tombonneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #441
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombonneau View Post
Just downloaded the latest version of this software after hearing the rave reviews.

I've gotten three folders to show up on my TiVo Now Playing:

iTunes Music/Movies
iTunes Music/TV Shows
And a non-iTunes Video Folder (The Smurfs)

The Smurfs folders are some episodes I, erm, procured via the Internet. These are .avi files.

The Smurfs episodes I'm able to view no problem; however, neither of the iTunes folders are working.

The files show up, but when I click to play them, they say they are transferring and they show up at the top of Now Playing, but nothing ever seems to happen. When click play for them, I get the gray screen, and the progress bar at the bottom shows no progress.

Thoughts? Will this program not work with iTunes video files? Is it a DRM issue? Or am I doing something wrong?

FWIW, I have the folder type set to "video" which was the default ...
if the files in your iTunes Movies folder are movies you legally procured from apple's itunes store, then sadly, NOTHING other than apple software will play it for you (it's laden with DRM to 'protect you from pirates' or somesuch).

If they are regular movie files though, we probably have a bug to look into.. so first lets get the answer to which is it?
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #442
tombonneau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
if the files in your iTunes Movies folder are movies you legally procured from apple's itunes store, then sadly, NOTHING other than apple software will play it for you (it's laden with DRM to 'protect you from pirates' or somesuch).

If they are regular movie files though, we probably have a bug to look into.. so first lets get the answer to which is it?
Wow thanks for the AMAZINGLY FAST response!

Now for the part ...

Yes, these are files I downloaded from iTunes. Looks like DRM issue and I'm SOL. Oh well ... do you know if Apple lifted DRM on video recently same as they did with music files? (The videos I'm trying to play are old ...)

Thanks again for the great program and fast response!
tombonneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #443
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombonneau View Post
Wow thanks for the AMAZINGLY FAST response!

Now for the part ...

Yes, these are files I downloaded from iTunes. Looks like DRM issue and I'm SOL. Oh well ... do you know if Apple lifted DRM on video recently same as they did with music files? (The videos I'm trying to play are old ...)

Thanks again for the great program and fast response!
I haven't heard of apple removing DRM from video (or any plans to do so in the near future). I also don't know of any tools to strip the DRM. Unfortunately I think your only option is to obtain another copy of the film you paid for without DRM (hey what's this bittorrent doing here?)
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #444
tombonneau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
I haven't heard of apple removing DRM from video (or any plans to do so in the near future). I also don't know of any tools to strip the DRM. Unfortunately I think your only option is to obtain another copy of the film you paid for without DRM (hey what's this bittorrent doing here?)
Ha! Exactly. All Apple is doing is giving me motivation to purchase/obtain videos from alternate avenues.

Something tells me your little program is going to be causing me to click a bit more often (no pun intended) on that little blue frog in my dock ...
tombonneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #445
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant
 
Sevenfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 146
DRM for purchased video is still very much with us. In fact, I don't see a transition like what happened with the music business anytime in the new future. If anything, the motion picture content providers seem to be increasingly wanting to keep the copy protection game going as long as possible.
__________________
Rick
Sevenfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #446
tiny-e
Registered User
 
tiny-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Up North, WI
Posts: 32
Won't show up in Now Playing S2 DirecTivo

For some reason pyTivo won't show up in my Now Playing list on my S2 DirecTivo.

Running pyTivo verison 1.2b10 on 10.5.6, python version 2.5.1.

When I click "apply" I can see my Now Playing List refresh, but I don't see any entries for pyTivo in there. Does this show up as a DVR? or do just the folder names show up as folders?

I'm looking at the bottom of the list as that is where DVR's normally show up, and have scanned the NPL (it's long from lots of tivoserver transfers), but don't see anything.

Console doesn't show any errors for pyTivo.

Any ideas?

:::EDIT::: should note that my video folder has nested folders inside of it (if that makes a difference). Example:
/Volumes/Storage/Video ----is my video folder
/Volumes/Storage/Video/Movies ----- is my movies folder
/Volumes/Storage/Video/TvShows/Ed/Season01 --- would be a typical TV show arrangement.
__________________
___________________________
DTivo S2 DSR7000 @ 6.2a
200 gig HD, "Standard suite of hacks"
::::::::::This place is the Mecca of run-on threads::::::::::
(Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos)
tiny-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #447
tiny-e
Registered User
 
tiny-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Up North, WI
Posts: 32
Here's another item: tivoserver sees an additional tivo on my network named plex.ecknet.net (which is the name of the machine that pyTivo is running on).

Still won't show up in the NPL on my DirecTivo though....
__________________
___________________________
DTivo S2 DSR7000 @ 6.2a
200 gig HD, "Standard suite of hacks"
::::::::::This place is the Mecca of run-on threads::::::::::
(Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos)
tiny-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #448
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
It should show up as another 'DVR' named whatever your share is named. (at the bottom of the now playing list).
Nested folders should not matter.
I'm not entirely clear if having tivoserver running causes problems, but I don't think it should.

is pytivo enabled in the preferences? is streambaby?

Can you look for anything interesting in the logs in
/tmp/pyTivoX.log
/tmp/pyTivoX-SB.log

Also, does anything show up under Photos,Music,Showcases? (that would be streambaby-related stuff).
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Yoav : 04-15-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #449
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny-e View Post
For some reason pyTivo won't show up in my Now Playing list on my S2 DirecTivo.
No, and it never will. You can use it for photos and music, but the video portion is only compatible with standalone TiVos.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #450
Yoav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
No, and it never will. You can use it for photos and music, but the video portion is only compatible with standalone TiVos.
woops good catch
Thanks...

-- yoav
__________________
Don't pay for Tivo Desktop / Roxio on the mac:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |