TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2009, 01:49 AM   #1501
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresden69 View Post
... there is an awesome document on how to do it on another website called dslreports.com under the FIOS section.
I took a quick look and didn't find the article. Do you happen to have a link? TIA!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #1502
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
I have heard nothing about redesigning the ONT... I think that Verizon has finally gotten a stable ONT, that redesigning it now, would be a bad move... and I believe I have a 612 on the side of my house...

P.S - The tech is going to love that you have the Ethernet in place...
Most of the Verizon techs I have spoken to are very cool. Even the contractors that wired part of my building are more than willing to share information. I'm pretty excited about the install...

I ran a conduit through my ceiling for the DC power cable too (there's no AC outlet in my closet).

Love that fiber
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #1503
mae

Ethernet on new ONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Does this ONT also have an Ethernet jack if you didn't want to use MoCA for the internet?

Thanks!
Yes, but it has to be provisioned by Verizon to work.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #1504
mae

One install per day

Quote:
and when you are given 4 or 5 jobs a day... any 'shortcuts' are taken... So if you want Ethernet... make sure you ask for it...
The tech who did my install had only my house. He was heading to a trouble call when he finished up.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #1505
mae

new ONT

Quote:
I have heard nothing about redesigning the ONT... I think that Verizon has finally gotten a stable ONT, that redesigning it now, would be a bad move... and I believe I have a 612 on the side of my house...

P.S - The tech is going to love that you have the Ethernet in place...
It is an Alcatel 211-G. It is a little smaller and in a grey (not white) case, I guess to match the rest of the telco's equipment. Tech said it used GPON instead of BPON as the protocol.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #1506
mae

Pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
D'oh! The pressure!
Rich,

No pressure, you KNOW you want it!

Mark
Old 03-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #1507
mae

I think this is it...

Quote:
I took a quick look and didn't find the article. Do you happen to have a link? TIA!
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...=bridging+fios

I think you guys in the Northwest are getting Westell's, but the same instructions should work.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #1508
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...=bridging+fios

I think you guys in the Northwest are getting Westell's, but the same instructions should work.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #1509
MookieDoug

FIOS cable card install tomorrow

After 2 years of DirecTV, I recently moved to a house that can get FIOS, so I signed up. Since the Tivo I had was a DTV Tivo, and wouldn't work on FIOS, and the multi-room DVR set up sounded nice, I decided to give the FIOS DVR a shot. It only took about 30 minutes before I realized this was a mistake, and about 2 days before I had a new Tivo HD being sent to me. So first, for anyone who has Tivo and is even thinking of going to the FIOS dvr, GO BACK! There are numerous reasons why it's so much worse, and this isn't the forum for that.

My tech roll is tomorrow morning for the CC install. I've got the Tivo box already sent thru its guided setup, but now I guess I need to make sure I have version 11.x or else the M-card won't work. At least that's what I've gotten from this thread.

I'm a little worried about pixellation as well. After the FIOS tv install, we noticed that about half of our premium movie channels were pixellated. After a call, they came out, tested the line a million times, then gave me a new FIOS box, and that fixed the problem. Hopefully the Tivo won't bring it back.
MookieDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #1510
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieDoug View Post
So first, for anyone who has Tivo and is even thinking of going to the FIOS dvr, GO BACK!
I also had DirecTV and left it because they abandoned Tivo-based DVRs. Now that I've had the combined FIOS TV/Internet/Phone package I have no desire to go back to paying DirecTV more... while getting less. I also succeeded in getting over a dozen friends and neighbors to drop DirecTV as well.

I agree, the Verizon supplied DVR is HORRIBLE.

I've had no pixelization troubles with FIOS and Tivo HD units, both with S cards and a single M card. This across all channels, SD, HD and premiums.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #1511
MookieDoug

Successfull CC install in Natick, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieDoug View Post
My tech roll is tomorrow morning for the CC install. I've got the Tivo box already sent thru its guided setup, but now I guess I need to make sure I have version 11.x or else the M-card won't work. At least that's what I've gotten from this thread.
FIOS tech arrived at 8:50 am, and the first thing he told me was, "Oh, this is a Tivo cable card install? I've never done one of those before." I told him I have the directions right here for him, and we'd walk through it together. "Good", he said. "I've only done one other one of these anyway." I thought this was going to be trouble, but he (Andy) was actually quite happy for any help I could provide. He had the 1 M-card (he said he was told in the work order from Verizon that he needed 2, but a guy in the shop told him, "no, just use 1 M-card"), so we wrote down the CC #, put it in, it brought up the tech help screen. He wrote down all those figures, powered up his laptop, plugged them in, 15 minutes later the TV was working. I don't have HD (yet), but all channels were working on both tuners.

I do have gray screens for 1/2 second when i change channels or go to Tivo Central, but I only updated to version 11.x last night, so I'm hoping what I read on here, that it'll go away in 48-72 hours is correct.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to pass along a success story!
MookieDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #1512
pieler8

The grey screens definitely go away after 48-72 hours. I had the fios install done thursday of last week, they were gone by the weekend.
pieler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #1513
exdishguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieler8 View Post
The grey screens definitely go away after 48-72 hours. I had the fios install done thursday of last week, they were gone by the weekend.
Can the guys that just got FiOS TV installed tell us what kind of ONT they used? Also, keep us updated on the pixelization issues - good or bad. I'm particularily interested in good installs and trying to find some common denominator as to Tivo works fine in your market vs. others that have had persistent issues.
exdishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #1514
reubanks

ONT Installed a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdishguy View Post
Can the guys that just got FiOS TV installed tell us what kind of ONT they used? Also, keep us updated on the pixelization issues - good or bad. I'm particularily interested in good installs and trying to find some common denominator as to Tivo works fine in your market vs. others that have had persistent issues.
I have a Motorola ONT1000 and am having no pixelization problems on either the Tivo HD or HDXL.
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #1515
aldiesel

Quote:

Where do you find the model number for your ONT? I had a recent install and the ONT is inside my garage and my neighbor's is on the outside of his house. They are different (obviously). I am getting pixellation on all the HD locals in the 500 range. I am waiting for a low pass filter to arrive that I ordered to see if that helps. Attenuating did not help. I did get the SNR down to 31/32 but to no avail the locals are horrible.
aldiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #1516
exdishguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiesel View Post
Where do you find the model number for your ONT? I had a recent install and the ONT is inside my garage and my neighbor's is on the outside of his house. They are different (obviously). I am getting pixellation on all the HD locals in the 500 range. I am waiting for a low pass filter to arrive that I ordered to see if that helps. Attenuating did not help. I did get the SNR down to 31/32 but to no avail the locals are horrible.
Where are you located? I hate to tell you but your situation sounds much like mine....and I've been fighting this for over 6 months.

As far the ONT type, you can probably call the FSC and they should be able to tell you the model. I've never looked carefully enough at mine to tell which Motorola model is installed. I assume you do have a Motorola ONT though?
exdishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #1517
aldiesel

I am in Southern New Jersey outside of Philadelphia.

Quote:
Where are you located? I hate to tell you but your situation sounds much like mine....and I've been fighting this for over 6 months.

As far the ONT type, you can probably call the FSC and they should be able to tell you the model. I've never looked carefully enough at mine to tell which Motorola model is installed. I assume you do have a Motorola ONT though?

aldiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #1518
SWG255

I had FIOS hi-def TV installed back on March 20th, and I have had no pixelization issues on SD or HD channels with my Tivo HD XL. I am in the Northern Virginia area . If it matters, this was not a new FIOS install, i already had internet and phone, this install added the high-definition TV. I had been using DirecTV with an old Sony Tivo. I didn't even think twice about going to the Verizon DVR, I waited so long to switch because my old Tivo was what was keeping me happy with DirecTV.

I'd provide information on my ONT if someone can tell me what to look for.
SWG255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #1519
pieler8

Quote:
I believe my ONT model is 612A. I'm in SE Pa. I just opened up the customer part, and it was on the status sticker. I have 2 HD Tivo's and have not seen any pixelation issues so far
Old 04-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #1520
mae

Comcast makes breaking up hard to do

It has been two weeks since I switched from Comcast, and I'm happier than ever I made the change.

Even though I asked to terminate my service with Comcast on 3/30, I'm still being billed until they disconnect me at the tap, now scheduled for 4/13. I've posted the details of this problem, which seems to vary by region on the Comcast thread, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...69#post7195269. They claim I'll be credited back to 3/30 after they do the disconnect.

I don't want to double post, so if you're making the switch, you should take a look.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #1521
pieler8

I have the exact same situation as you mae. Cancelled comcast on 3/24 with an effective date of 4/2. They tell me they cannot cancelled me until 4/13 but they will backdate/refund any charges as of 4/2.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #1522
richsadams

When we moved locally we had overlapping service from Comcast. They did the same thing: charged us through the end of the billing period for our orignal house initially and then subsequently credited us the difference on the new account...eventually. But it was a bit of a mess when they crossed up both accounts; discontinued some services on the new one and thought they had changed the old one, etc. Took several months to clean up.

With regard to how they handle things it appears that it's really a local issue. Often Comcast acquired a local cable provider at some point and just kept their policies intact (as long as they benefited Comcast). The inconsistencies in service, quality, support, etc. are legend. I can't really complain about our service though. They've been fairly decent throughout. Too bad they've boosted our "Triple Play" rates over $200/mo. in one year. We're going to end up with about the same services with more HD, better PQ and faster broadband for almost half the price from VZ. Such is life.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #1523
mae

Wink Comcast is like politics!

Quote:
When we moved locally we had overlapping service from Comcast. They did the same thing: charged us through the end of the billing period for our orignal house initially and then subsequently credited us the difference on the new account...eventually. But it was a bit of a mess when they crossed up both accounts; discontinued some services on the new one and thought they had changed the old one, etc. Took several months to clean up.

With regard to how they handle things it appears that it's really a local issue. Often Comcast acquired a local cable provider at some point and just kept their policies intact (as long as they benefited Comcast). The inconsistencies in service, quality, support, etc. are legend. I can't really complain about our service though. They've been fairly decent throughout. Too bad they've boosted our "Triple Play" rates over $200/mo. in one year. We're going to end up with about the same services with more HD, better PQ and faster broadband for almost half the price from VZ. Such is life.
Dealing with Comcast is just like what Tip O'Neill said about politics, everything is local.

Come to think of it, there are a bunch of other similarities!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 AM   #1524
richsadams

Okay, the peer pressure was just getting to be too much (not to mention that my Comcast bill was as well), so I pulled the trigger. FIOS install will be on the 27th. I had a lengthy discussion with the VZ tech that I ran into a while back on an install down the street. He remembered me as a "TiVo Guy" and we discussed the signal issues, etc. He said that he was aware of one band that is problematic for some but not everyone. He said that that they were addressing any issues with attenuation at the moment but he expected things to be "normal" in the near future.

He listened to my wish list and took the time to walk me through all of the options, ensured that he had me down for three cable cards (it turns out that they only have "M" cards here) and then put me in touch with an official order desk person (named Princess...and she was! ). After my experiences with mistakes with my VZ wireless billing and hearing all of the horror stories about how tough it is to get them to fix their system if it isn't right from the get-go I had her read back every detail to be sure it was what I wanted. She was very patient and calm and did a very nice job of taking care of me.

With everything I'm getting including Extreme HD, HBO & Showtime, Setanta Sports Channel, an extra STB for my computer, 20/5 broadband, phone, etc. my bill will be about $155/mo. ...about $50 less than Comcast (for more of everything except the phone). The price is guaranteed for two years plus I get the current offer of $150 cash back after the first 30 days. It's not cheap by any means, but it's everything we wanted and I can live with that.

Now I have to break the news to Comcast. Such is life. I'm guessing they'll try to retain me, but my mind is made up!

Wish me luck!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #1525
Gregor

Good luck, Rich!

Comcast made no effort to retain my business. I took the cable boxes and cable modem down to the office and told them I wanted to cancel and that was that.

I got a few offers that were about what I was paying that were addressed to me personally, now I'm just "Occupant".

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #1526
mae

Wink Hope it goes as well as mine!

Quote:
Okay, the peer pressure was just getting to be too much (not to mention that my Comcast bill was as well), so I pulled the trigger. FIOS install will be on the 27th. I had a lengthy discussion with the VZ tech that I ran into a while back on an install down the street. He remembered me as a "TiVo Guy" and we discussed the signal issues, etc. He said that he was aware of one band that is problematic for some but not everyone. He said that that they were addressing any issues with attenuation at the moment but he expected things to be "normal" in the near future.

He listened to my wish list and took the time to walk me through all of the options, ensured that he had me down for three cable cards (it turns out that they only have "M" cards here) and then put me in touch with an official order desk person (named Princess...and she was! ). After my experiences with mistakes with my VZ wireless billing and hearing all of the horror stories about how tough it is to get them to fix their system if it isn't right from the get-go I had her read back every detail to be sure it was what I wanted. She was very patient and calm and did a very nice job of taking care of me.

With everything I'm getting including Extreme HD, HBO & Showtime, Setanta Sports Channel, an extra STB for my computer, 20/5 broadband, phone, etc. my bill will be about $155/mo. ...about $50 less than Comcast (for more of everything except the phone). The price is guaranteed for two years plus I get the current offer of $150 cash back after the first 30 days. It's not cheap by any means, but it's everything we wanted and I can live with that.

Now I have to break the news to Comcast. Such is life. I'm guessing they'll try to retain me, but my mind is made up!

Wish me luck!
Rich,

I hope you have the same luck I did. Almost 3 weeks and (knock on wood) no problems. I just looked at my first bill online and it seems to be right, so that's the last hurdle. Of course, I turned my Comcast stuff in on 3/30 but they haven't been out to the tap to turn it off yet, so they still consider me a customer. According to the guy who called me after I emailed the CEO and COO that should happen today and they will credit me back to the 30th.

I picked up a NIM 100 on ebay a few weeks before my install and am really happy with using it instead of a wireless adapter. It is much faster and has the added benefit of stripping the MoCA from the line going to the TiVo. I paid $10 (new, but no power brick-a Linksys 12v worked fine) plus shipping. My installer said he didn't have any, but others have reported luck asking for them since they don't use them anymore. The ones currently available on ebay are a lot more, but you might want to keep an eye out for bargains.

Mark
Old 04-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #1527
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Okay, the peer pressure was just getting to be too much (not to mention that my Comcast bill was as well), so I pulled the trigger. FIOS install will be on the 27th.
Yay! We finally got Rich! I guess we can close the thread now...

j/k, Rich. I think you made the right choice. You'll love it.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #1528
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
Good luck, Rich! ...now I'm just "Occupant".
Oh, I bet they hold you (as they do me) in the highest esteem...I bet you're considered "Current Occupant"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
Rich, I hope you have the same luck I did.
Thanks Mark, me too!

I've been casually following all of the MoCA posts but I need to do a little more research. The TiVo's (and everything else) are hard wired/Ethernet, but I do have a couple laptops that need WiFi now and then. I have a D-Link Extreme N wireless router that the tech said I could use instead of using theirs. Guess I'll have to look at how MoCA would work or if it makes sense for me...soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Yay! We finally got Rich! I guess we can close the thread now...

j/k, Rich. I think you made the right choice. You'll love it.
From your lips to VZ's ears!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #1529
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
I think you made the right choice. You'll love it.
David, since you're in the same neighborhood, how is your broadband speed? The reason I ask is that Comcast recently boosted theirs. Below is a recent test that I ran using Speakeasy. That was on a very good night using the Seattle connection and it can go down to half of that during the day, but it's generally above 20/5 Mbps.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2mo5zpc.jpg 34448/8592 kbps

Since VZ's is 20/5 I'm a little worried about an actual cut in speed now. Comcast used to have a download "blast" where the speed was higher for the first 10MB and then throttled back. I can't find any info about that now and wonder if that's still the case or if they opened up the pipe to compete w/VZ?

Just downloading a large file from any old site isn't a good measure. So I guess I need to find a test server that will allow a sustained download larger than the typical test sites to see if it eventually falls off.

Anyway, just wondering what you (or anyone else) were seeing. It won't deter me from switching but I was hoping for as fast or faster broadband than what I have currently. TIA!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #1530
webin

Quote:
how is your broadband speed?

Just downloading a large file from any old site isn't a good measure. So I guess I need to find a test server that will allow a sustained download larger than the typical test sites to see if it eventually falls off.

Anyway, just wondering what you (or anyone else) were seeing. It won't deter me from switching but I was hoping for as fast or faster broadband than what I have currently. TIA!

I've done a bunch of speed tests (though not recently), and I pretty consistently get within 5% (plus or minus) of the quoted 20 mbps. The best way I can think of to test "real world" speeds that high is to install a bittorrent client (such as utorrent), then cue up about 4 different linux distributions. Let the client open as many connections as it wants, and then set them all the files downloading simultaneously, and you'll be getting a METRIC TON of peers. I think I remember seeing at least 15 mbps down at one time using that technique.

BTW... I'm not sure when I last saw pixellation. I'm considering dropping my attenuation down form 6 to 3dB to see how that works.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote