TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 AM   #61
ggieseke

First I would uninstall Desktop and run the 'cleaner' utility at http://www.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivot...topCleaner.zip to remove all traces of the previous installation. Then reinstall Desktop from scratch. You will have to enter your Media Access Key after running the cleaner.

Sorry about the help file - I don't use Vista very often even though I bought a copy of Ultimate. If you follow the generic message it will lead you to a patch from Microsoft that will install the older help file reader.

TDCM doesn't actually provide any codecs, it just helps you pick the right ones from the codecs actually installed on your PC. Usually your DVD player software installs the necessary codecs. Vista Ultimate and Home Premium have MPEG-2 support built in. In general all you have to do is use the utility to open a .TiVo file and test the playback. The graph will show you the current DirectShow filters in use, and you can experiment with other options by clicking the Settings button.

Sorry for the slow reply, and let me know if you have any other questions.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #62
gjm120

Help! I just transferred all files from XP to Vista 64 bit. It comes with MP11 so I thought I would be OK with all my TIVO recordings saved on my hdd. I uploaded and installed Tivo Desktop v2.7. No videos play. What's up??? Anyone, some advice for a PC video novice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
gjm120
gjm120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #63
Joe Smith
Medium Member

Question Newer help file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Sorry about the help file - I don't use Vista very often even though I bought a copy of Ultimate. If you follow the generic message it will lead you to a patch from Microsoft that will install the older help file reader.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 says:
Note: There is currently no WinHlp32.exe download available for Windows 7.
Do you have the info in an alternative Help file format, such as .chm, .html, or .xml?
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #64
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Help! I just transferred all files from XP to Vista 64 bit. It comes with MP11 so I thought I would be OK with all my TIVO recordings saved on my hdd. I uploaded and installed Tivo Desktop v2.7. No videos play. What's up??? Anyone, some advice for a PC video novice would be appreciated.
Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate come with MPEG-2 codecs (it's built into the price). WMP has never included one because it's free, and Microsoft would have to pay licensing fees for every copy.

You still have to have a compatible MPEG-2 codec to play .TiVo files. Does TDCM list any on your system?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #65
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 says:
Note: There is currently no WinHlp32.exe download available for Windows 7.
Do you have the info in an alternative Help file format, such as .chm, .html, or .xml?
Well, at least it goes on to say that they will release one when W7 comes off of beta.

Here's the same basic info in .doc format.
Attached Files
File Type: doc TiVoDesktopCodecMgr.doc (52.3 KB, 217 views)
Old 03-27-2009, 04:07 AM   #66
wendysimon

Went from not working to wont stop talking.

I have no idea how I got this to work as I had no idea what I was downloading here but figured I'd give it a shot. I'm not computer literate on this kind of stuff. Anyway I finally got sound and video. The problem is it doesnt shut itself off when I close windows media player. I still hear Dora going on long after I've closed it. Usually in the past when I close the player it shuts off. Any ideas?

I'm running Vista home premium 64 bit.

Also I just chose things that worked on the list after the download. Does it matter what I choose?

And Thank you so much for writing that program. Like I said, I dont know what I was doing but somehow I got sound and video to work so that is great. Now help me turn it off.

Thanks for any help!
Wendy
wendysimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #67
Queentroll1955

Thank you Greg for this program.
I have built my mothers Desktop PC but purchased an OEM DVD Drive. So I have a limited list of CODEC's. (Win XP Pro SP3) I had a version of PowerDVD somewhere here, but wonder if the *Tivo Desktop Plus* is a better way to go? She is running:

Windows XP Pro sp3 / AMD 1900 1.5 GHZ / 512 DDR Ram / Direct X 9.0
GeForce FX 5200 Videocard 256mb
Tivo Desktop 2.7
Tivo Series 2 Model: TCD540080 connected via wireless LAN

I have got the .tivo files to play(audio & video) , but if I try to slide the progress bar in WMP it freezes the player. I'm not at her PC now so I'm sorry for not posting the current configuration in you Application.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you- Ben

Last edited by Queentroll1955 : 03-27-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Queentroll1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #68
Queentroll1955

Ok I'm here at my mothers There is only one Audio & one Video option, Here is what I have:

Audio: MPEG Audio Decoder 0x03680001 Note: MPEG-1

Video: Ligos MPEG Video Decoder 0x00800000

Filter: MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer 0x00800100 (tried first Had issues in post above)
MP4 Splitter 0x00600000
MPEG-2 Demultiplexer 0x00600000 *Currently using*
MPEG4 Video Splitter 0x00600000
MPEG-2 Splitter 0x005FFFFF
Mainconcept Stream Parser 0x00400000

I'm still getting jumpy Video on .tivo files. And still getting Error next to file in playlist on WMP.

Last edited by Queentroll1955 : 03-27-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: More info in post.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #69
ggieseke

Ben,

Since it's a Series 2 TiVo you can ignore everything except MPEG-2 video and MPEG-1 audio. I don't have any experience with the Ligos video codec, so I can't offer much of an opinion there. I have tried the video codec that comes with the trial version of PowerDVD 8 with mixed results. It plays smoothly, but for some reason on my system it stretches everything to a 16:9 aspect ratio when the files off of my Series 2s are 4:3.

Your results may vary. Trying PowerDVD to see how it works for you shouldn't hurt anything and you can always uninstall it.

If you end up paying for a codec I recommend the Plus upgrade - you get a lot of well-written codecs for a very reasonable price.

Greg
Old 03-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #70
ggieseke

Wendy,

If you haven't already tried it, clicking the Stop button in WMP before exiting the program may help. If that doesn't work then one of the codecs or the demuxer is refusing to stop, leaving the whole mess still running in the background.

The only options that the program will list are the codecs already installed on your computer. It doesn't matter what you choose or if you leave some of the options set to "none" as long as you find a combination that works for you. Even if you crash TDCM a few times it won't hurt anything, just try something else. If you haven't gone nuts installing every third-party codec pack around there are typically only a few entries in each of the three options, so it usually doesn't take long to try all of the possible combos.

The good news in your case is that with Vista Home Premium you should have everything you need built in. If you stick with the stuff from Microsoft you should be OK. I don't remember the exact names under Vista (I live in XP and only run Vista once every few months), but if you right-click the demuxer, the video codec or the audio codec in the graph and click Properties, the File Path would typically be C:\WINDOWS\system32.

Greg
Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #71
diane123

Hi - I am new to this forum, but have been using Tivo Desktop for several years, and have had Tivos for many years. I download many programs from TV and convert many to iPod version to view on the go. I have never had any problems until I upgraded to 2.7. Now I am lost and frustrated. I can no longer convert files to iPod format. I get the "Tivo Desktop Conversion Problem; could not start the conversion process" message.

After reading posts on the Tivo Forum and on this one, I uninstalled 2.7, ran the cleanup utility, then installed 2.6.2; with a restart between each action. I am still receiving the conversion error. I looked at the logs, and here is a clip:

"0000023c 03/29/2009 17:05:57.234 (TiVoConverter.cpp)Error: Can't start transcoding, maybe codecs unavailable."

This is why I am posting in this thread. I confess that I have no idea what a "codec" is. I tried to use the utility I found in this thread (#12) and I do not know what to do with it. I may be asking too much, but could I get some help with this? I am at my wits end and will take any advice you could give. Thanks!

Some info:

OS - XP Professional with Media Center
Version - 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Computer - Dell XPS 400 DXP051

Please let me know if I can provide any more information about my setup.

Diane123
diane123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #72
ggieseke

Diane123,

Codec is just shorthand for COder/DECoder, and refers to the algorithms used to compress video or audio files into something manageable. Since you have the option to convert to other formats I assume you have the Plus upgrade.

Check the graph shown when you open a .TiVo file. After the "TiVo DirectShow Source Filter" you should see a demuxer that splits it into audio and video streams, then a codec for each stream, followed by other stuff. If the demuxer and the first row after that don't have "MainConcept" in the name you may have to click the Settings button to override the current choices your system is making. On my XP/2.7 system it uses the "MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer", followed by the "MainConcept Layer II Audio Decoder" and the "MainConcept MPEG-2 Video Decoder".

After uninstalling 2.7, running the cleaner and reinstalling 2.6.2 you should be good to go, but there's always a few exceptions.

If none of this helps send me a PM with your email address. I'm working on a new version that can track the entire graph used during conversion to other formats if you have Plus. It's not quite ready for prime time yet, but as of a few hours ago it's working on my system and I can always use a beta tester (or ten).
Old 03-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #73
diane123

Hi - Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. After reading more posts, I realized that when I ran the cleanup utility, there were some errors. I ran it again, then re-ran it until all of the components ran successfully. I rebooted, reinstalled 2.6.2, and it seems to be successfully converting a file for me! Hopefully, this ends my issues. Sad that 2.7 is so awful, yet no help from Tivo on it. Thanks again!

Diane
diane123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #74
Queentroll1955

Greg:
Thnak you. I'll see if she want's to buy plus. Seems like the better of all evils. I might try this version of PowerDVD just to give some feedback to this forum. It's PowerDVD Ultra Delux v7.3.3516, but it's a pirated version. So I'll probabaly take it back off, I'm getting skeptical of pirated software anymore. too much Bull "s". Just easier to buy it.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #75
Queentroll1955

To all who is intrested:
I tried the PowerDVD video codec's. Not to my suprise it shut the computer down. I tried a few of the above filters with them, but had the same luck. So I'm going to recomend her(my mother) to buy the Tivo Desktop Plus. Side Note: She is running WMP 11.0.5...

Greg: Where do the filters come from? Are they part of the codec's ? Or software applications?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #76
ggieseke

In DirectShow everything is called a filter whether it's a file source, demultiplexer, codec, renderer, etc. Some of them come with the operating system and others are installed by programs like Desktop or a DVD viewer.

In the case of the Plus upgrade the actual files are already installed by Desktop, but they are locked out until you enter the upgrade key that you get by email when you purchase it.

Let me know if you run into any problems, and be sure to print or otherwise save a copy of the email in a safe place in case you ever need it again.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #77
jcruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I was playing around with regmon and discovered some registry settings that let you set preferred codecs for .tivo files without tweaking your overall DirectShow filter settings. I am attaching a little app that I threw together to make it easier to manage them. I GUARANTEE NOTHING, SO USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The only thing it changes are registry settings under the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\DirectShow\PreferredFilters " key, which doesn't normally exist anyway. You can try out different combos of demuxers, audio and video codecs to see what works best for you. To set things back to normal just change them back to "(none)" or delete the entire registry key.

Hope it helps somebody besides me!

This version is now obsolete - see post #12 in this thread for the latest.
Your progam worked! Apparently I was missing a demixer. After that it was selecting the best audio codec to eliminate break up. Thanks so much for your help. Now I can enjoy HD programing on my laptop.
jcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #78
john9000

No Audio on DVD

Hello All,
Thanks very much for the awesome app TivoDesktopCodecMgr! I used it to try to resolve the problem I am having with no audio on DVDs I attempt to create. I am running Tivo Desktop Plus 2.7 and while I have no audio problems when I play programs with Windows Media Player, when I try to create DVDs using Nero Vision Express 2.12, some programs work fine and some only have video. I tried using the TDCM to change the setting on the Audio Codec to MainConcept Layer II, went back into Nero and it still had no audio. Do I need to now go back into Tivo Desktop and retransfer the programs or do I need to do something else (like download another codec). Thanks very much for any ideas for this rookie.

Best,

John
john9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #79
ggieseke

I'm pretty sure that NeroVision Express uses its own codecs no matter what. The few times that I have used it to make a DVD it worked for me, but I only have Series 1 & 2 TiVos. If you have a Series 3 or HD the files that don't convert right probably use Dolby audio instead of MPEG, and Nero isn't handling them correctly. If you right-click the audio codec in TDCM when you have one of the problem files open you will get a Properties dialog box. Click the tab in that dialog that corresponds to the input pin, and scroll down to see the media type.

If my suspicion that it's Dolby audio causing the problem I don't know how to fix it, but Nero's site may offer some help. If you make a lot of DVDs I would recommend checking out VideoReDo - it's the cream of the crop and makes NVE look sick in comparison.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #80
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by haragsdale View Post

... recently I am having an audio problem. The sound is clear and loud enough for the music soundtrack and even for announcements between shows ("stay tuned for blah blah" could not be any clearer), but the dialogue of the actual show is so quiet that I can barely hear it ...
I am having this exact same problem. I don't believe I ever had this issue prior to upgrading to 2.7. Does anyone know how to fix this?
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #81
wolfwithdances

Greg,

Another satisfied and grateful user here. Since I installed Adobe Creative Suite, my TiVo files had all been going to Adobe's MainConcept filter, and it had kept me from playing the files (it'd show the first still frame and refuse to play). I had to manually decode the files, which took up a lot of time and space, but your utility worked like a charm the first time.

Long story short, bravo, sir.

-Jeff
wolfwithdances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #82
mblynn

Out of Sync issue with Conversion to IPOD

I have played around with TDCM some and installed AC3 codec and I am still having issues with Audio and Video being out of sync on conversions for IPOD. The files before conversion play fine on WMP but are out of sync when converted for IPOD. Am I missing something. I think I browsed the posts pretty thoroughly before adding this one but did not notice same problem. Thanks.
mblynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #83
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblynn View Post
I have played around with TDCM some and installed AC3 codec and I am still having issues with Audio and Video being out of sync on conversions for IPOD. The files before conversion play fine on WMP but are out of sync when converted for IPOD. Am I missing something. I think I browsed the posts pretty thoroughly before adding this one but did not notice same problem. Thanks.
What version of Desktop Plus are you using, and can you post an actual file somewhere that I can look at? You can send me a Private Message with the location if you do.

You might also want to take a look at KMTTG.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #84
alexander123

Greg,

Okay, I just want to say that you rock. Thanks for the tool.

I will admit that although I am a computer programmer, I had a hard time figuring out that the preferred filter screen was not just "read only"

I am running Vista 64, and I read somewhere in the thread that that is why the help doesn't work.

One minor, I mean really minor suggestion would be to put some instructions on the top of the page, something like select codec that you want to be the default below, or something like that for others that are as brainless as me.

Also, for some reason on my screen, the selected filter isn't too easily discerned.

Also the graph shoes codecs that aren't selectable, so if they were correct, i just left things as "none", and only had to change the video codec, so that it stopped using Adobe's MainConcept filter.

Once again, thanks a bunch!!! Had a HBO/Cinemax free weekend, tivo'd 20 or so movies, and have to archive them onto the Computer to make room.
alexander123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #85
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander123 View Post
Greg,

Okay, I just want to say that you rock. Thanks for the tool.

I will admit that although I am a computer programmer, I had a hard time figuring out that the preferred filter screen was not just "read only"

I am running Vista 64, and I read somewhere in the thread that that is why the help doesn't work.

One minor, I mean really minor suggestion would be to put some instructions on the top of the page, something like select codec that you want to be the default below, or something like that for others that are as brainless as me.

Also, for some reason on my screen, the selected filter isn't too easily discerned.

Also the graph shoes codecs that aren't selectable, so if they were correct, i just left things as "none", and only had to change the video codec, so that it stopped using Adobe's MainConcept filter.

Once again, thanks a bunch!!! Had a HBO/Cinemax free weekend, tivo'd 20 or so movies, and have to archive them onto the Computer to make room.
Thanks. If I update it again I will try to address some of the suggestions. I attached a .DOC version of the .HLP file in post #65 if that helps.

In the Settings dialog, your preferred selections will be pre-highlighted when you open the dialog. On the graph screen they will be labeled in red. Leaving anything you don't have to change set to "none" is the best way to go. If it ain't broke.....

Enjoy.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #86
prowler27708

And another thank you from another programmer. Beautiful bit of code and impressive commitment to helping out. Now I can get what I paid for out of my Tivo HD.
prowler27708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #87
ggieseke

Thanks Prowler, and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #88
dougdingle
HD Tech

Brilliant! Fixed my problem in about 10 seconds. Thanks very much.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #89
moorek

I am getting further

Thanks for TDCM. It is helping me solve my playback problems.

I must have installed something over the past 6 months or so as my CODECs seem to be whacked. Tivo files were always "squished" horizontally on play back. I ran TDCM and now when I play the Tivo files using TD/WMP, they play correctly (4:3). Now I want to use Direct Show Dump Utility to get them to an editable MPG file but when I do that and play the "dumped" file, the horizontal aspect is squished again. My guess is that I have another CODEC setting somewhere hosing me but I can't figure it out. Ugh. It is giving me a headache. This all used to work flawlessly.

If anyone has a guess as to what I should be looking at I would appreciate it. I set the Direct Show video codec to be Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Decoder and that seems to work correctly.

Thanks,

Kevin
moorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #90
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorek View Post
Thanks for TDCM. It is helping me solve my playback problems.

I must have installed something over the past 6 months or so as my CODECs seem to be whacked. Tivo files were always "squished" horizontally on play back. I ran TDCM and now when I play the Tivo files using TD/WMP, they play correctly (4:3). Now I want to use Direct Show Dump Utility to get them to an editable MPG file but when I do that and play the "dumped" file, the horizontal aspect is squished again. My guess is that I have another CODEC setting somewhere hosing me but I can't figure it out. Ugh. It is giving me a headache. This all used to work flawlessly.

If anyone has a guess as to what I should be looking at I would appreciate it. I set the Direct Show video codec to be Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Decoder and that seems to work correctly.
TDCM only affects the playback of .TiVo files, and the squashed look is typical of codecs that ignore the aspect ratio setting within the video stream. Once you convert them to another format, DirectShow's standard method of building filter graphs takes over and the only way to change it is to modify the Merit settings of your codecs manually (the highest merit value wins). TDCM can also be used to open other file types to look at the filter graph they will use - it just won't control them.

Use the Settings dialog in TDCM and write down all of the video codecs and their merit value. Then run DirectShow Filter Manager from http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm and use it to change the merit of the Microsoft codec to something higher than the one being used to play .MPG files. You could also just uninstall the offending codec if it's not part of another program that you use.

Warning: You can 'break' other programs by doing this, so backup your PC or take a System Restore snapshot before making any changes. I would also document the changes you make just in case.