TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #331
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm628 View Post
Yoav,

I ran into a crash of iTiVo while converting an HD TV program to H.264 5 Mbps. I was converting the latest episode of Battlestar Galatica and ended up with an error dialog saying "The application Atomic Parsley quit unexpectedly". I've repeated this several times, both with and without commercial skip enabled.

In iTiVoDL2.log there are these lines:
VDec: using Planar I420 as output csp (no 1)
Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.

New video file has different resolution or colorspace than the previous one.
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

I had already converted this show to iPhone format and imported it to iTunes with no errors.

Let me know what other log data you need and I'll post it.

Thanks for the great program. It does exactly what I want. This is the first error I've run into.

- Dan
Sadly there's not much I can do about this. As is mentioned in the FAQ, iTiVo relies on a bunch of underlying programs which I didn't write. And those programs sometimes crash. The errors from the log are warnings from mencoder, not atomicparsley. But I think the re-encode still continues, so you can ignore them.

An AtomicParsley crash should generally still finish downloading and converting the file for you.. So everything should still work (although some metadata will not be included in the file). If you're not seeing this, you can disable atomicparsely from the Prefs panel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #332
danm628

The generated files were bad when I get the error from Atomic Parsley. I started another DL with it disabled before leaving home this morning, I'll check it when I get home. Hopefully it will generate a good file.

- Dan
danm628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #333
Yoav

Quote:
The generated files were bad when I get the error from Atomic Parsley. I started another DL with it disabled before leaving home this morning, I'll check it when I get home. Hopefully it will generate a good file.

- Dan
There is also the possibility that AtomicParsley crashes because the encoded file it is given was bad. (if so, turning off AtomicParsley won't help much). If that's the case, I'd try choosing a different format (like Handbrake iphone instead of iphone, etc)..

Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #334
danm628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
There is also the possibility that AtomicParsley crashes because the encoded file it is given was bad. (if so, turning off AtomicParsley won't help much). If that's the case, I'd try choosing a different format (like Handbrake iphone instead of iphone, etc)..
Turning off AtomicParsley didn't help. The conversion to Quicktime H.264 3 Mbps or 5 Mbps fails in mencoder and does not generate a good output file. It does work when I select iPhone as the output format.

Tonight I'll try the Handbrake conversions or maybe ffmpeg. I'm just trying to get to an original resolution archival format (i.e. smaller than mpeg 2 and something that Quicktime can play), I don't really care which format it is in. I've been using 3 Mbps or 5 Mbps H.264 with no trouble till now.

- Dan
Old 03-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #335
Yoav

Quote:
Turning off AtomicParsley didn't help. The conversion to Quicktime H.264 3 Mbps or 5 Mbps fails in mencoder and does not generate a good output file. It does work when I select iPhone as the output format.

Tonight I'll try the Handbrake conversions or maybe ffmpeg. I'm just trying to get to an original resolution archival format (i.e. smaller than mpeg 2 and something that Quicktime can play), I don't really care which format it is in. I've been using 3 Mbps or 5 Mbps H.264 with no trouble till now.

- Dan
You may want to try something like selecting the 'HandBrake AppleTV' format, and then going to Prefs.. Advanced, and changing
Code:
 -Z "AppleTV"
to
Code:
-Z "QuickTime" -b 3000
(that will encode using the 'quicktime' settings with a bitrate of 3Mbps.) Lots of other options are documented on http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide

Old 03-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #336
BigTechDaddy

IP Address Problem

I renamed my two out of my three TivoHDXL tuners, now when I go into iTivo, One TiVo works, but has the wrong name, I know it works as it shows the correct tv shows. The other comes back with an error msg wanting me to check my MAK - I can connect to both of them through my browser. Thanks for any help.
BigTechDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #337
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTechDaddy View Post
I renamed my two out of my three TivoHDXL tuners, now when I go into iTivo, One TiVo works, but has the wrong name, I know it works as it shows the correct tv shows. The other comes back with an error msg wanting me to check my MAK - I can connect to both of them through my browser. Thanks for any help.
I think after you rename tivos, you need to make sure they do their nightly connection, and reboot them after (you can force a nightly connection to happen via the network settings). That should bring them up with their new names correctly.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:36 AM   #338
BigTechDaddy

Quote:
I think after you rename tivos, you need to make sure they do their nightly connection, and reboot them after (you can force a nightly connection to happen via the network settings). That should bring them up with their new names correctly.
The TiVo's are named correctly, but they are not showing up in iTivo with the correct IP addresses. For instance the correct numbers are below -

LivingRoomHDXL - 192.168.1.60
MBedroomHDXL - 192.168.1.7

These numbers show up on each of the DVRs.

However, in iTivo here is how they show up.

LivingRoomHDXL - 192.168.1.7
MBedroomHDXL - 192.168.1.60

When you connect to the MBedroomHDXL it shows programming from the LivingRoomHDXL, but when you attempt to connect to the LivingRoomHDXL it gives the error about a bad MAK key.

They have both been through the nightly processes. I am thinking that Bonjour is reporting them wrong, but I am not a codehead.

Thanks for all the work and support. Awesome program.

Brad
Old 03-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #339
Yoav

Quote:
The TiVo's are named correctly, but they are not showing up in iTivo with the correct IP addresses. For instance the correct numbers are below -

LivingRoomHDXL - 192.168.1.60
MBedroomHDXL - 192.168.1.7

These numbers show up on each of the DVRs.

However, in iTivo here is how they show up.

LivingRoomHDXL - 192.168.1.7
MBedroomHDXL - 192.168.1.60

When you connect to the MBedroomHDXL it shows programming from the LivingRoomHDXL, but when you attempt to connect to the LivingRoomHDXL it gives the error about a bad MAK key.

They have both been through the nightly processes. I am thinking that Bonjour is reporting them wrong, but I am not a codehead.

Thanks for all the work and support. Awesome program.

Brad
Quit fully out of iTiVo (menu.. quit), to clear out whatever bonjour information it has cached.

Then, when you start it, if it's STILL showing you the old associations, it's entirely your tivos doing it. The tivos MUST be rebooted after a name change (they don't update what they yell on the network even though the system information screen claims the change).

So basically, quit iTiVo, start it again, and go reboot your tivos. If you've done all that and it's still misbehaving, we can try debugging...

Old 03-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #340
BigTechDaddy

Quote:
Quit fully out of iTiVo (menu.. quit), to clear out whatever bonjour information it has cached.

Then, when you start it, if it's STILL showing you the old associations, it's entirely your tivos doing it. The tivos MUST be rebooted after a name change (they don't update what they yell on the network even though the system information screen claims the change).

So basically, quit iTiVo, start it again, and go reboot your tivos. If you've done all that and it's still misbehaving, we can try debugging...

Ok, the rebooting seems to have worked for the LivingroomHDXL - the MBedroomHDXL has the correct IP but still cannot connect.

Unfortunately, right now my wife and baby is sleeping in there so I can't troubleshoot it. I think I can figure things out.

Thanks again so much for your help and support. Is there a way to make a cash donation to you?

B
Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #341
Yoav

Quote:
Ok, the rebooting seems to have worked for the LivingroomHDXL - the MBedroomHDXL has the correct IP but still cannot connect.

Unfortunately, right now my wife and baby is sleeping in there so I can't troubleshoot it. I think I can figure things out.

Thanks again so much for your help and support. Is there a way to make a cash donation to you?

B
No donations thank you though.

One thing you *can* try without going into that room:

open up a web browser, and try and connect to "https://(ip)/"
username is tivo, password is your MAK.

If that fails, then it's nothing to do with itivo, and you need to find out why your tivo is not allowing the connection. (it may think it's not activated for TTG, or it has the wrong MAK, or there's some network oddity preventing the connection).

Old 03-18-2009, 04:00 AM   #342
BigTechDaddy

Quote:
No donations thank you though.

One thing you *can* try without going into that room:

open up a web browser, and try and connect to "https://(ip)/"
username is tivo, password is your MAK.

If that fails, then it's nothing to do with itivo, and you need to find out why your tivo is not allowing the connection. (it may think it's not activated for TTG, or it has the wrong MAK, or there's some network oddity preventing the connection).
Ok, I get a Now Playing screen when I tried that. I did get a bunch of certificate warnings.

I am planning on changing the ip address tomorrow of that machine to a static one versus DHCP. I am hoping that will fix whatever the issue is.

Well, if you won't let me pay you then keep me in mind if you want or need someone to test software for you
Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #343
NA9D

I posted this as an issue at the GoogleCode site for iTivo, but here it is here..

Two days in a row now I've gotten the following AppleScript error when trying to download/convert a bunch of shows:

Canít make "|" into type number. (-1700)

So not sure what this is or why. Never seen it before...

NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #344
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
I posted this as an issue at the GoogleCode site for iTivo, but here it is here..

Two days in a row now I've gotten the following AppleScript error when trying to download/convert a bunch of shows:

Can’t make "|" into type number. (-1700)

So not sure what this is or why. Never seen it before...
Does it go away if you quit and restart itivo? Does it only happen on particular shows (and if so, full name of show and other metadata might help). Sounds like somewhere along the line it's expecting to see a number (like the episode ID) and is instead getting a '|' symbol... but that's all the error tells me). -- I haven't seen it here yet but if you can get me more info hopefully I can reproduce it.

Last edited by Yoav : 03-18-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #345
NA9D

Quote:
Does it go away if you quit and restart itivo? Does it only happen on particular shows (and if so, full name of show and other metadata might help). Sounds like somewhere along the line it's expecting to see a number (like the episode ID) and is instead getting a '|' symbol... but that's all the error tells me). -- I haven't seen it here yet but if you can get me more info hopefully I can reproduce it.
It does not appear to happen always on the same show. I have to quit and restart as the download queue basically stops at that point and I can't start it after that.

I've seen this twice in just the last few days. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if I see it more. I have some shows that don't have episode names - could that be it?

NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #346
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
It does not appear to happen always on the same show. I have to quit and restart as the download queue basically stops at that point and I can't start it after that.

I've seen this twice in just the last few days. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if I see it more. I have some shows that don't have episode names - could that be it?
If a show has no episode name, iTiVo should replace the episode name with the tivo ID of the show, which shouldn't have a '|' symbol in it. So I doubt it, but I can't be sure (Applescript is a pain in the butt). There is one situation where '|' symbols are introduced into data, for records read out of plist files... but the only places where plist files are used are for preferences and formats, and if that were the problem, it would happen on every show, not just random ones

Don't have any good ideas yet on why this happens. If you notice a useful pattern to the errors tell me maybe I'll get some new ideas...

Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #347
danm628

Quote:
You may want to try something like selecting the 'HandBrake AppleTV' format, and then going to Prefs.. Advanced, and changing

(that will encode using the 'quicktime' settings with a bitrate of 3Mbps.) Lots of other options are documented on http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately they failed. I even tried ffmpeg.

It's odd that they work for iPhone format but not for the higher resolution modes. They all seem to fail at approximately the same spot in the video. (Not 100% sure of this since the video files generated can't be played.)

I suspect there is something wrong with the file from the TiVo. It plays fine there. I've scheduled the show again to get another capture. Hopefully I'll have better luck with it.

Thanks for the help. iTivo is a fantastic program.

- Dan
Old 03-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #348
Yoav

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately they failed. I even tried ffmpeg.

It's odd that they work for iPhone format but not for the higher resolution modes. They all seem to fail at approximately the same spot in the video. (Not 100% sure of this since the video files generated can't be played.)

I suspect there is something wrong with the file from the TiVo. It plays fine there. I've scheduled the show again to get another capture. Hopefully I'll have better luck with it.

Thanks for the help. iTivo is a fantastic program.

- Dan
I'm running out of ideas

One thing to try though. Use the 'decrypt' mode to just fetch the contents of the mpeg-2 file from the tivo (no conversion/re-encoding will occur). Manually load up the resulting file into Handbrake and see if it's able to encode it that way? If that fails, then at least we know for sure that the source file is 'problematic' (and in theory, we would report this file to the ffmpeg team and see if they can fix their readers to not crash on this).

If it works though, then something else in the chain is causing stuff to break.

There is a tool on windows that attempts to 'fix' broken mpeg files from a tivo (apparently it's pretty common for tivo to create 'bad' mpegs). I think it ships with videoReDo, but I don't think they have a mac port of the tool

Old 03-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #349
danm628

Quote:
I'm running out of ideas

One thing to try though. Use the 'decrypt' mode to just fetch the contents of the mpeg-2 file from the tivo (no conversion/re-encoding will occur). Manually load up the resulting file into Handbrake and see if it's able to encode it that way? If that fails, then at least we know for sure that the source file is 'problematic' (and in theory, we would report this file to the ffmpeg team and see if they can fix their readers to not crash on this).
I'll give that I try. I already have a decrypt only copy of the file. When I started having issues I grabbed it as a backup. So I'll try HandBrake on the command line and see what happens.

- Dan
Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #350
Yoav

Quote:
I'll give that I try. I already have a decrypt only copy of the file. When I started having issues I grabbed it as a backup. So I'll try HandBrake on the command line and see what happens.

- Dan
You can use the handbrake gui. Internally it's the same program so it should also crash...

Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #351
fatespawn

All,

I've made the plunge and bought myself an intel mac running leopard (switching from my old G5) and am starting to use the handbrake option of iTivo. I know it says "experimental" but has anyone had ~problems~ using the handbrake option to encode. I'm using the iphone preset for a bunch of low quality shows and was wondering if anyone had any comments on comparing "time to encode" and "final quality" comparisons to mencoder.

-fate

PS. now that I'm running 10.5 I can say the pytivox is a SWEET compliment to complete the cycle 'o video
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #352
danm628

Quote:
You can use the handbrake gui. Internally it's the same program so it should also crash...
I'm old fashioned. I like command lines. Long live sh or, for the youngsters, bash. I'll give the GUI a try though. They are easier for a lot of tasks.

I tried a convert with -Z "Television". The first attempt ran for 5 minutes or so and then printed "Terminated" on the command line and quit. I thought I might have hit a key in the terminal window so I restarted it. That one ran fine and produced a good file that VLC can playback. This morning I restarted it using -Z "QuickTime" and -b 3000. I checked the system about 10 minutes later and again it had printed "Terminated" and quit. I've restarted it and so far it is still running. (I work at home on Friday so I can squeeze in some extra testing today.)

Very odd.

- Dan
Old 03-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #353
Yoav

Is it possible that it's running out of memory?

Old 03-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #354
danm628

Quote:
Is it possible that it's running out of memory?
Possible. I have 3 GB of RAM (plus swap) and about 100 Gig free on the system drive with /tmp. And 200+ Gig free on the destination drive. The Mpeg2 file from the TiVo is about 6 Gig.

The randomness looks like something outside the application. But why only this one show? Other HD shows that are 2+ hours long encode fine. This is only a 1 hour show and it fails? Maybe there is bad data that the TiVo MPEG chip ignores and the various encode programs all make the same mistake with causing them to allocate a huge amount of memory.

I recorded the show on the TiVo again last night. I'm going to see how encoding works on the new copy. If there are no problems then I'll blame it on the original file.

- Dan
Old 03-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #355
philby85

Hi Yoav,

I have an issue with itivo as well I download one recording at a time when it gets to about 400mb it stops and starts again. I just tried it again with pytivo and not running it lasted longer.

I installed 10.5 on an external drive with just itivo same issue. If I used tivo transfer that comes with toast it transfers ok.

cheers

Phil
philby85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #356
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by philby85 View Post
Hi Yoav,

I have an issue with itivo as well I download one recording at a time when it gets to about 400mb it stops and starts again. I just tried it again with pytivo and not running it lasted longer.

I installed 10.5 on an external drive with just itivo same issue. If I used tivo transfer that comes with toast it transfers ok.

cheers

Phil
Let it retry up to 4 times. If it still fails on the 4th attempt, then we can look into it (some partial recordings lie about their size so itivo retries in case it can get a 'larger' copy, which never happens -- but the 4th attempt it'll just accept no matter how partial it is).

Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #357
philby85

Quote:
Let it retry up to 4 times. If it still fails on the 4th attempt, then we can look into it (some partial recordings lie about their size so itivo retries in case it can get a 'larger' copy, which never happens -- but the 4th attempt it'll just accept no matter how partial it is).
I thought that was the case in the end. It takes about 6 min to get to the stop point, so thats 24 mins its taking me all up.

in my searches last night I found a dashboard widget called now playing it sees the file as the same length as itivo but only downloads the once and that takes 7 mins. So I am using that at the moment. I love the features of itivo, it really is the best in that respect Is there any way to force to do it just the once?

cheers

Phil

Last edited by philby85 : 03-22-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: added comment
philby85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #358
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by philby85 View Post
I thought that was the case in the end. It takes about 6 min to get to the stop point, so thats 24 mins its taking me all up.

in my searches last night I found a dashboard widget called now playing it sees the file as the same length as itivo but only downloads the once and that takes 7 mins. So I am using that at the moment. I love the features of itivo, it really is the best in that respect Is there any way to force to do it just the once?

cheers

Phil
Due to the fact that the tivo doesn't make a distinction between an error in the download or just an incomplete file on the tivo, I retry up to 4 times. It is possible to change that, but really this only happens for 'partial' files on your tivo. (And if I change it to allow those, then errors in the downloads that cause a partial transfer of a full show will also be accepted instead of retried).

Is this happening for ALL your files? Or just this particular one? There is a way to speed it up a bit if it's just for one or two files:

Start a download that you know will fail a few times, and run the following command:
Code:
 /Applications/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/killProcesses.pl
This will make the download fail (you will see itivo realize this, and retry). Repeat the command another two times (wait for itivo to retry each time). Then let the fourth attempt finish on its own.

Also, if you do decide to go back to itivo instead of dashboard widget, make sure to FULLY remove it (it has been known to open up connections to the tivo, causing programs like iTiVo to lose their connection on downloads -- took quite a while to track that issue down). Otherwise, the widget is actually really cool for what it does, and if that's all you need, stick to it

Last edited by Yoav : 03-22-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:43 AM   #359
fatespawn

Quote:
edit : Verified that at around the 9.5G mark, it swaps from reporting progress in megs to reporting progress in gigs. iTiVo should still successfully download, but yeah the progress will be jerkier as it is getting progress info in larger chunks. There may be a risk of it 'timing out' if it takes more than 5 minutes to fetch 0.1G of data... I'll go see if I can do something about it.
Yoav,

Did you ever address this issue? I'm running 1.7.5 and just tried to download an 11+G file from the Tivo. It seemed to finish normally, but the video got chopped off at the end. It's a 1:30 video and at 1:22 it ends (about 10.5G worth) Anyway, I didn't know if this might be the same issue or not.
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #360
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatespawn View Post
Yoav,

Did you ever address this issue? I'm running 1.7.5 and just tried to download an 11+G file from the Tivo. It seemed to finish normally, but the video got chopped off at the end. It's a 1:30 video and at 1:22 it ends (about 10.5G worth) Anyway, I didn't know if this might be the same issue or not.
The beta works around the issue. It doesn't time out as quickly once it gets to 9.5G. However, curl still reports progress in Gigs at that point, so the progress bar updates more jerkily at that point. Tell me if it's still failing for you.