TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #361
jannlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok I pushed out 1.1 with all the new stuff.
Okay, what is in 1.2b?

sorry...couldn't resist!
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #362
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
Okay, what is in 1.2b?

sorry...couldn't resist!
Nothing new.
as the comments say, I've been regularly taking the latest svn of streambaby and pytivo, ffmpeg, x264, and lame. Since 1.1 is now released, the beta number just got bumped to 1.2b1. It's just a regular build with the latest code.

edit: oh I lied a little. The latest 1.2b code incorporates some new code that should now 'do the right thing' when you upgrade versions AND have 'launch at login' set.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #363
jannlinder

Quote:
Nothing new.
as the comments say, I've been regularly taking the latest svn of streambaby and pytivo, ffmpeg, x264, and lame. Since 1.1 is now released, the beta number just got bumped to 1.2b1. It's just a regular build with the latest code.
I assumed... I was just being silly.

J
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #364
oybobby

Quote:
Nothing new.
[...] edit: oh I lied a little. The latest 1.2b code incorporates some new code that should now 'do the right thing' when you upgrade versions AND have 'launch at login' set.
Hello,

I had been running 1.1 and found the (something like) "install and restart" message after it had downloaded this build. All sorts of "wrong things" happened: it kept crashing on (pyTivoX) restart, and after manually downloading 1.2b1 and installing it, streaming wouldn't work, I couldn't empty the trash because of all the .jar files still active, etc.

So... I guess this 1.2b1 code will fix that, but thought I'd mention it Just In Case.

Regards,
Maurice
oybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #365
oybobby

Yoav,

I forgot to mention how grateful I am for this delightful, elegant hack. I'm a late adopter of TiVo, just got here last summer, and just found this forum last week. We don't watch that much TV, but making that which we do watch more convenient, nearly fun, is very much appreciated.

So... thanks very much!

Regards,
Maurice
oybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #366
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by oybobby View Post
Hello,

I had been running 1.1 and found the (something like) "install and restart" message after it had downloaded this build. All sorts of "wrong things" happened: it kept crashing on (pyTivoX) restart, and after manually downloading 1.2b1 and installing it, streaming wouldn't work, I couldn't empty the trash because of all the .jar files still active, etc.

So... I guess this 1.2b1 code will fix that, but thought I'd mention it Just In Case.

Regards,
Maurice
Ermm, actually, 1.2b1 shouldn't really fix any of that. It sounds like streambaby is still running instead of being reaped during the upgrade. The easiest thing to do is probably reboot, which will clean up everything, including errant processes. I haven't seen this happen before, and you're the first to report it, so I'm hoping 'something interesting' went on that caused it and this is hopefully a unique thing.. But if it's still going on, I'm gonna ask for your help debugging it

Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #367
Mythica

This may have been mentioned before, but I can't find the answer. Is there anyway using pyTivoX to transfer files and keep the sub-folders they are in? I want to transfer my home movies to my Tivo, but I want them all to show up in a "Home Movies" folder. When I use the Tivo to transfer the files, they all show up in the Now Playing list. I know that using the Tivo Desktop the only way to do it is to setup Auto-Transfers. Any way to do it with pyTivoX?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #368
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
This may have been mentioned before, but I can't find the answer. Is there anyway using pyTivoX to transfer files and keep the sub-folders they are in? I want to transfer my home movies to my Tivo, but I want them all to show up in a "Home Movies" folder. When I use the Tivo to transfer the files, they all show up in the Now Playing list. I know that using the Tivo Desktop the only way to do it is to setup Auto-Transfers. Any way to do it with pyTivoX?
That's a function of pyTiVo generally, not pyTiVoX specifically. You need to create a metadata file that includes a valid seriesID to get things in folders. There is information here about the metadata file. Here's a thread with some discussion about that issue from the pyTiVo forum.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #369
PacoII

In the update window, what does "Automatically download and install updates in the future" mean? I ask, since I have yet to see it actually do this, so figure I must be misunderstanding
PacoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #370
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoII View Post
In the update window, what does "Automatically download and install updates in the future" mean? I ask, since I have yet to see it actually do this, so figure I must be misunderstanding
Well, this is sparkle, so it does whatever sparkle claims it does

It generally only checks for new versions about once a day. I believe setting it to auto-download and install will make it just download it when a new version is available instead of prompting you -- but I havent tried it).

Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 AM   #371
scrytch

Hi,

Just got MAK ability enabled on my Australian TiVo (don't ask about the price - we have no subscription but high upfront cost).

pyTiVoX seems to be working fine at first, but after a few minutes of transfer/playing (ie pytivo mode) or streaming (streambaby mode) my TiVo just restarts itself - all the way to the starting up graphic (then the "it'll only be a few more minutes").

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Shane.
scrytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #372
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrytch View Post
Hi,

Just got MAK ability enabled on my Australian TiVo (don't ask about the price - we have no subscription but high upfront cost).

pyTiVoX seems to be working fine at first, but after a few minutes of transfer/playing (ie pytivo mode) or streaming (streambaby mode) my TiVo just restarts itself - all the way to the starting up graphic (then the "it'll only be a few more minutes").

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Shane.
Not really

Sounds like an issue with the tivo software. Are you guys running the same release as we are in the US?

Old 03-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #373
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, they aren't. I've had a few Australians show up on my Reversi game, and they're running "11.1" rather than 11.0b. Which should not be read as them being ahead -- I think their version is crippled, and not (yet?) allowing TTCB. Although I'm surprised to hear that it does work for a few minutes. I dunno, they have some strange policies.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #374
scrytch

Is TTCB what TiVo Desktop uses to re-encode shows to send to TiVo for playback? If this is the case then yes this just got enabled in our Home Networking Pack (enables TTG, Music, Photos etc).

As for policies how it is sold here is different:

Upfront one-off cost - no TiVo subscription, but this is for approved apps (weather, games etc), EPG & broadband movie service.

MAK was turned off (so no external apps, multi room etc). This has been enabled now for a fee for your account (ie one off payment to enable, does so for all TiVo's on your TiVo account).

Whilst it's strange, the good thing is there are no ongoing subscription costs.

Regards,
Shane.
scrytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #375
moyekj

TTCB is short for Tivo To Come Back which just means transferring shows from computer back to Tivo.
i.e. The opposite of TTG = Tivo To Go which means transferring shows from Tivo to computer.

Until fairly recently one could only transfer mpeg2 program streams back to Tivo so any other kind of video needed to be transcoded to mpeg2 (which can be done on the fly) before being transferred. Series 3 Tivos (at least the ones sold in USA) now do have ability to natively store videos in a limited number of other formats as well. This Wiki page summarizes what Series 3 Tivos can natively decode:
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/..._compatibility
(The most useful other native format other than mpeg2 is mpeg4 container with H.264 video and AAC or AC3 audio)

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #376
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

So, scrytch, do you get the same results with TiVo Desktop?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #377
fatespawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Until fairly recently one could only transfer mpeg2 program streams back to Tivo so any other kind of video needed to be transcoded to mpeg2 (which can be done on the fly) before being transferred. Series 3 Tivos (at least the ones sold in USA) now do have ability to natively store videos in a limited number of other formats as well. This Wiki page summarizes what Series 3 Tivos can natively decode:
(The most useful other native format other than mpeg2 is mpeg4 container with H.264 video and AAC or AC3 audio)
Moyekj,

I just started using pytivox (thanks yoav for the gui and the developers for the underlying code) and was wondering about the ability to "natively store" other-format videos on my TivoHD.

Does that mean I can just upload a mp4 file encoded in h264 with AC3 audio? I haven't found a way to do that... Are we still talking streaming? Just a little confused.

-fate
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #378
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatespawn View Post
Does that mean I can just upload a mp4 file encoded in h264 with AC3 audio? I haven't found a way to do that... Are we still talking streaming? Just a little confused.
It's probably not well documented or widely known at this point but it was discovered that via Tivo Desktop Plus auto pushes to series 3 Tivos of some mp4 files were not being transcoded to mpeg2 and that eventually led to confirmation and integration of that capability into pyTivo. See this thread for the whole sequence of events:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=419427

Summary of how to setup for mp4 pushes to your Tivo(s):
* Install wmcbrine's pyTivo fork (Just grab the latest zip file and unpack it somewhere)
* Fire it up (double-click on pyTivo.py) and then with a browser connect to http://localhost:9032
* In Web Configuration section under Global Server Settings set tivo_username and tivo_password to what you use for logging into Tivo web page
* Add a new videos section where your mp4 videos (H.264 + AAC or AC3 audio) reside and save changes
* Stop pyTivo and start it again (may not be necessary but just to be sure)
* Connect again to http://localhost:9032 and click on your video shares name
* Now select an mp4 video and Tivo to push to and click on the appropriate Send To Tivo button
* Leave pyTivo running and wait a few seconds (maybe minutes) and you will notice some pyTivo console activity and a blue light on the Tivo you are sending to light up and the transfer begins. You will also note no transcoding happens if you pick a compatible mp4 video.
(The details may not be 100% precise and I may have forgotten something but I think that should be enough to get you going). It would probably be good to have a detailed and accurate step by step reference page for this saved somewhere for easy reference.

Last edited by moyekj : 03-20-2009 at 11:28 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #379
Yoav

Quote:
Moyekj,

I just started using pytivox (thanks yoav for the gui and the developers for the underlying code) and was wondering about the ability to "natively store" other-format videos on my TivoHD.

-fate
moyekj answered this, but in the interest of saving you some work:
pyTivoX ships with wmcbrine's pyTivo. You just need to provide extra information to the config to enable push. The web interface is enabled.

However, if you ever hit the 'apply' button on the gui, it will lose all the configurations you made via the web gui. So, you should probably do something like 'run pyTivoX, set up all your shares, decide if you want 'launch at login', and hit 'apply'. Then do the web configuration to enable push. From that point on you should never need to hit the apply button.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #380
fatespawn

Thanks Yoav. I thought I remembered you used a different version of pytivo, but in all my "catchup" reading I guess you switched... Good. GUI's and I are better speaking terms.

So, setup the shares, streambaby checkbox etc... hit apply THEN do the web config....

You probably addressed it elsewhere, but any possibility of adding .mp4 functionality to the pytivox interface? KISS - I know, and the mp4 support seems like a very recent addition for Tivo, but it sure would be nice to archive HD content in H264 via iTivo and handbrake (using a relatively HIGH quality with ac3 support AND comskip) and have the ability to stream that back to the Tivo (or transfer) at a much quicker speed than the native mpeg-2.

-fate
Old 03-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #381
PacoII

I have pyTivoX running on a mac mini that is on 24/7. pyTivoX has never auto-downloaded/installed a new version when one has come out.

Has this auto install/update feature worked for anyone?

Quote:
Well, this is sparkle, so it does whatever sparkle claims it does

It generally only checks for new versions about once a day. I believe setting it to auto-download and install will make it just download it when a new version is available instead of prompting you -- but I havent tried it).

PacoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #382
fatespawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
* In Web Configuration section under Global Server Settings set tivo_username and tivo_password to what you use for logging into Tivo web page
* Add a new videos section where your mp4 videos (H.264 + AAC or AC3 audio) reside and save changes

...hmmm, well I got this far, but under Global Server Settings when I click "add setting" to add the "tivo_username" it ~acts~ like it did something - it prompts me that I will need to do a soft reset for changes to take effect... But when I go back to the Global Server Settings, the User Defined Settings is blank and I am unable to push video from the computer to the tivo.

Any suggestions?

Also, can i just leave the share alone? I have already set the share point where my videos are (both mpeg-2 and mp4). Do I need a dedicated share point for the mp4's? I would assume not...

-fate
Old 03-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #383
Yoav

Quote:
...hmmm, well I got this far, but under Global Server Settings when I click "add setting" to add the "tivo_username" it ~acts~ like it did something - it prompts me that I will need to do a soft reset for changes to take effect... But when I go back to the Global Server Settings, the User Defined Settings is blank and I am unable to push video from the computer to the tivo.

Any suggestions?

Also, can i just leave the share alone? I have already set the share point where my videos are (both mpeg-2 and mp4). Do I need a dedicated share point for the mp4's? I would assume not...

-fate
As far as I know, you don't need a 'dedicated share'. Any video share allows pushing ONCE you have the correct tivo set up with the correct MAK.

You can do a 'complete restart' of pytivo by clicking the 'exit' button in the gui, and then running pyTivoX again (this will not overwrite the config file, but it will restart pyTivo). The only button to avoid is the 'apply' button.

Don't forget that instead of using the gui you also have the option of manually editing the file in ~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf . Although that may be even messier. I did check and the web config gui is correctly writing new values to this file.

And no, I do not currently plan on adding support for push in the 'simple gui'. You can always go advanced and use the official web interface, while still using the pre-compiled ffmpeg and auto-launching stuff. I'm hoping that at some point tivo will support 'pull' for mp4s and all will be good. I think push is a fairly advanced/confusing concept (it's not even really push.. It's a notification to the tivo to please pull the file when it can).

Last edited by Yoav : 03-20-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #384
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
As far as I know, you don't need a 'dedicated share'. Any video share allows pushing ONCE you have the correct tivo set up with the correct MAK.

You can do a 'complete restart' of pytivo by clicking the 'exit' button in the gui, and then running pyTivoX again (this will not overwrite the config file, but it will restart pyTivo). The only button to avoid is the 'apply' button.

Don't forget that instead of using the gui you also have the option of manually editing the file in ~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf . Although that may be even messier. I did check and the web config gui is correctly writing new values to this file.

And no, I do not currently plan on adding support for push in the 'simple gui'. You can always go advanced and use the official web interface, while still using the pre-compiled ffmpeg and auto-launching stuff. I'm hoping that at some point tivo will support 'pull' for mp4s and all will be good. I think push is a fairly advanced/confusing concept (it's not even really push.. It's a notification to the tivo to please pull the file when it can). Having said that, however, if you *happen* to have iTiVo installed, and *happen* to have pyTivoX-beta installed, the config file *may* have the username and MAK set correctly in there when you hit 'apply'. Not supported!!! SEKRIT!!!!
Correction: Push requires your tivo.com username and password (the combination you use for "Manage My Account" and Online Scheduling). pyTiVo connects to TiVo's servers using these credentials to initiate the push process.

The MAK is required for access the local tivo webserver and/or for decryption/playback of .tivo files.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #385
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
Correction: Push requires your tivo.com username and password (the combination you use for "Manage My Account" and Online Scheduling). pyTiVo connects to TiVo's servers using these credentials to initiate the push process.

The MAK is required for access the local tivo webserver and/or for decryption/playback of .tivo files.
ahh woops.. Good to know..
ok, so taking that tidbit of code out.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #386
fatespawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post

Well shoot! You mean I need my username/password I use at tivo.com? That's funky. Not my media access number I use for iTivo or browser access? Perhaps that's where I've been stumbling.

-fate
Old 03-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #387
fatespawn

Ok, I manually changed the .conf file The "user settings" then showed up correctly in the web interface.

I was running v1.1 and when I tried to initiate the push, nothing happened. No errors, just a pause and reload of the web interface. I figured I had an incompatible .mp4 file but this page....

...only served to confuse me with the notes about requirements of .mp4 with ac3 audio..."Video must be VC-1 Advanced Profile (wvc1). L3 and L2 profiles are known to work. " Uh huh... crystal clear. I realize this may be for advanced users - of which I am obviously NOT... but a nice handbrake preset would be nice

Anyway, back OT, I upgraded to version 1.2b.. something - the current update available and when I tried the push again I got this error:

list index out of range

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/yoav/src/pytivox/build/Release/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wmcbrine/plugins/video/video.py", line 351, in Push
File "/Users/yoav/src/pytivox/build/Release/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wmcbrine/mind.py", line 46, in pushVideo
pc_body_id = self.__pcBodySearch()[0]
IndexError: list index out of range

I didn't get that error with 1.1. With 1.1 it was a simple "nothing happened." Is this an error?

-fate
Old 03-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #388
Yoav

Quote:
Anyway, back OT, I upgraded to version 1.2b.. something - the current update available and when I tried the push again I got this error:

list index out of range

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/yoav/src/pytivox/build/Release/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wmcbrine/plugins/video/video.py", line 351, in Push
File "/Users/yoav/src/pytivox/build/Release/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wmcbrine/mind.py", line 46, in pushVideo
pc_body_id = self.__pcBodySearch()[0]
IndexError: list index out of range

I didn't get that error with 1.1. With 1.1 it was a simple "nothing happened." Is this an error?

-fate
yeah I got a similar error. Hopefully wmcbrine will chime in with an opinion... It looks like it's supposed to build up a list of what PCs are connected and for some reason that list is empty (although I'm not going to pretend I actually understood the code).

Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #389
fatespawn

Forgive this barrage of questions the last few days, but I'm really digging pytivoX and have some interesting results.

This may be a more "pytivo/streambaby" specific question but it relates to both pytivox and iTivo. I recently downloaded some hi-def material to my mac. In iTivo, I have "handbrake iphone" selected and because this is a bunch of kids stuff I want to have on my phone as well as available for "restreaming" to the tivo. Obviously quality will suffer, but I've never heard a 4 year old complain about video quality.

Anyway, when I transfer the show back to the now playing list, the aspect ratio is just fine. It fills the screen just like the original hi-def picture did. but when I STREAM it back it ends up getting pillarboxed. It's most certainly squished. SD video streamed back is just fine. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere in the threads, but I was wondering if there's been a solution in the most recent versions...
Old 03-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #390
Yoav

Quote:
Forgive this barrage of questions the last few days, but I'm really digging pytivoX and have some interesting results.

This may be a more "pytivo/streambaby" specific question but it relates to both pytivox and iTivo. I recently downloaded some hi-def material to my mac. In iTivo, I have "handbrake iphone" selected and because this is a bunch of kids stuff I want to have on my phone as well as available for "restreaming" to the tivo. Obviously quality will suffer, but I've never heard a 4 year old complain about video quality.

Anyway, when I transfer the show back to the now playing list, the aspect ratio is just fine. It fills the screen just like the original hi-def picture did. but when I STREAM it back it ends up getting pillarboxed. It's most certainly squished. SD video streamed back is just fine. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere in the threads, but I was wondering if there's been a solution in the most recent versions...
I think I read some post somewhere complaining about Handbrake setting the incorrect PAR in files. Unfortunately I'm not really sure where that thread was. I'd ask why you're using 'handbrake iphone' instead of just 'iphone' though. Do both have the same issue? (It's definitely not a pytivox issue.. the question is whether the issue is with itivo/handbrake making a bad file, streambaby incorrectly converting the file, or the tivo incorrectly playing the file).

Anyways, try the regular iphone setting first