TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #61
txporter
One sec, almost done

You can use a program called VOB2MPG(free) or VideoRedo (buy) or use any number of programs to encode to another format like divx or h.264 (XVID4PSP or Autogk or Handbrake or Fairuse Wizard or many others).

Don't know of any that will work on multiple directories at once though. Need to do one at a time.
Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #62
cburbs

What about the following - I wanted to convert my movies to try and save some space. I want to keep the same aspect ratio - if it is an older 4:3 or newer 16:9 movie. I tried I robot with Handbrake, xvid4psp and when I play it back it no longer is 16:9.
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #63
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
What about the following - I wanted to convert my movies to try and save some space. I want to keep the same aspect ratio - if it is an older 4:3 or newer 16:9 movie. I tried I robot with Handbrake, xvid4psp and when I play it back it no longer is 16:9.
My guess would be it is either the profile you are using to encode with (it might be cropping the resolution to fit a mp3 player) or your tivo is set to either fullscreen or zoom. The dvds I have converted with handbrake (constant quality) or XVID4PSP (also some sort of constant rate factor profile) all play fine when set to panel/letterbox on tivo. (It is enitirely possible I have only converted 16:9 dvds.) Make sure that whatever profile you are using is only cropping the letterboxing, not the video itself.

Jason
Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #64
cburbs

Ok so I tested the following since your post -

I set the Tivo to Full screen and my main copy of IRobot shows up as 2.35 : 1. My ripped Handbrake all default settings for Constant Quality is stretched and fills the screen which now makes sense. If I put the Tivo in panel mode then the movie looks correct.

But I am confused on why the main copy of the movie shows up fine and the HB rip doesn't. Anyone have an answer for this one?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #65
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
But I am confused on why the main copy of the movie shows up fine and the HB rip doesn't. Anyone have an answer for this one?
I am not sure what you mean by main copy. Is this just the VOB rip converted to MPEG2? The borders might be included in the video. Does it look the same if you use Full Screen, Panel or Zoom?

Jason

P.S. The more that I think about it, I think that this is most likely exactly what you are talking about. DVDs (I believe) really only allow two aspect ratios, 4:3 and 16:9. Anything else needs to be padded. 2:35:1 aspect ratio video is put in a 16:9 box with letterboxing to fill the dead space.

Last edited by txporter : 03-13-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #66
cburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
I am not sure what you mean by main copy. Is this just the VOB rip converted to MPEG2? The borders might be included in the video. Does it look the same if you use Full Screen, Panel or Zoom?

Jason

P.S. The more that I think about it, I think that this is most likely exactly what you are talking about. DVDs (I believe) really only allow two aspect ratios, 4:3 and 16:9. Anything else needs to be padded. 2:35:1 aspect ratio video is put in a 16:9 box with letterboxing to fill the dead space.
OK direct rip of the movie from dvd shrink. I can have the Tivo in full mode and it plays fine. If I play the Handbrake converted file it fills the screen so then I put it panel and it looks normal.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #67
cburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
My guess would be it is either the profile you are using to encode with (it might be cropping the resolution to fit a mp3 player) or your tivo is set to either fullscreen or zoom. The dvds I have converted with handbrake (constant quality) or XVID4PSP (also some sort of constant rate factor profile) all play fine when set to panel/letterbox on tivo. (It is enitirely possible I have only converted 16:9 dvds.) Make sure that whatever profile you are using is only cropping the letterboxing, not the video itself.

Jason
Which settings do you use in Handbrake or Xvid4psp?
Then do you send them to your Tivo or Stream the movie?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #68
txporter
One sec, almost done

For both pieces of software (Handbrake and XVID4PSP), I am converting to H.264 (.mp4) and pushing the resulting video to my Tivo with wmcbrine's pytivo. With handbrake, I have used a few different settings. I started with the Constant Quality profile, checked decomb, detelecine, set the quality to somewhere to 61-65%, changed the deblock to 0,0 and set the keyint to 24 and the min-keyint to 2 (this adds more I-frames which seems to make the FF smoother on the tivo). I had some DVDs that came out with widely varying bitrates using the constant quality profile (1600-->3600), so lately I have settled on a 2-pass encoding with a 2000 kbps target. The results are very good and the files sizes are much more consistent.

I really only use XVID4PSP when I have DVDs that have closed captions rather than subtitles (I always burn the text into the video). I extract the closed captions with ccExtract and then convert the video with the Constant Rate Factor profile (I think that is what it is called) using a CRF of 18.5. I really haven't toyed with the other settings much with XVID4PSP.

In both cases, I really don't do anything with cropping.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason
Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #69
gvegastiger

Is there an easy solution for us Mac owners to get media to our Tivo's in a format other than mpeg2?
gvegastiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #70
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvegastiger View Post
Is there an easy solution for us Mac owners to get media to our Tivo's in a format other than mpeg2?
PytivoX. Look in this same forum for the thread.

Jason
Old 06-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #71
spocko
TiVo HD

Just renaming a VOB to MPG is not necessarily sufficient. I recommend reading this post:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...tivo-t366.html

Also, another free and more up to date tool for dvd ripping is DvdFab HD Decrypter:
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Unfortunately it splits the VOB file into 1GB chunks when ripping, but Mpeg Streamclip will happily recombine the pieces when converting to MPG:
http://www.squared5.com/

Last edited by spocko : 09-23-2009 at 04:52 PM.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #72
NCARalph

Is any of this possible with self made HD video (1080i)? I've got a bunch of video I've shot in HD and haven't been able to get it onto the Tivo at all.
NCARalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #73
HLLee

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this board. Originally looking for problems associated with HD Tivo displaying white streaks on dark background. Came across this thread about using the Tivo as a Juke box and thought I'd share some of my thoughts.

On and off I have been looking for a way to rip DVDs and store them on the Tivo for easy access. This is good usage for my series 1 Tivo since I can no longer use its analog tuner to record OTA contents. The issues I came across in trying to use the Tivo as a jukebox is the amount of time it takes to rip/encode the DVDs into the proper format and then having to get them onto the Tivo (no ethernet port on the series 1). Economically, it is still cheaper to store the movies I want to keep on DVDRs than it is to keep them on the Tivo hard drive (assuming $70 for a 1TB drive a 7GB movie will cost about $0.50).

As far as convenience goes I found that leaving the movies on DVDs with full access to chapter selection and subtitles more to meet my needs. The only issue is how to access my DVD collection easily. After some research surfing the web, I came to the solution of connecting my 5 disc Panasonic DVD changer to a AV distribution device called the BOCS Xtender. You can do a search at Amazon.com and see my review there. The interesting part about the Xtender is the ability to playback your contents such as DVD and Tivo recordings anywhere there is a TV in your house without the need for a set-top box at every TV. Only complain I have with the Xtender is the lack of ability to distribute high def contents but it does a pretty good job with standard def DVDs. I am seriously thinking about upgrading to the Sony 400 disc DVD changer DVPCX995V.

Now, I need to figure out what to do with my series 1.

Last edited by HLLee : 08-20-2009 at 01:10 PM.
HLLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #74
danpritts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCARalph View Post
Is any of this possible with self made HD video (1080i)? I've got a bunch of video I've shot in HD and haven't been able to get it onto the Tivo at all.
Odds are good that pytivo will be able to handle it.
danpritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #75
danpritts

Just noticed this on the pytivo forum:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...ing-t1026.html

a pytivo plugin to allow pytivo to read & stream VIDEO_TS folders directly
danpritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #76
immagikman

Ok, that was very interesting, next question is:
I have a Network Attached storage device with DVD .iso files ripped to it for storage. I can use a Patriot Box Office device to watch these movies on any TV in the house and streaming the iso file from the NAS.

Is there a way to Stream the .iso file from the NAS through the Tivo for playback?

so in short, Im trying to go:

NAS -- TIVO -- TV with stored .iso files of who DVD's
immagikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #77
dmoss

bump. Any way to stream .iso thru Premiere or passthru from a box like WDTV? TIA
dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #78
netserf57

Does Tivo Desktop Plus

I have a Tivo Premiere and a HD. I have a Windows Home Server and would like to (re)create a Video Library of my DVD collection. I had installed pyTivo before and used MetaGenerator. I am considering getting the Tivo Desktop Plus this time instead. Does Tivo Desktop run on Windows Home Server and is there a companion Metagenerator for it?
netserf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #79
MichaelK

tivo desktop will run on WHS but there's no metagenerator for it that I'm aware of.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #80
oregonman

FF problems with mp4 files playing on Tivo

I am trying to get some DVD titles to my Tivo HD. I don't need perfect picture quality and I want to save space on the Tivo, so I want to transcode the files to MPEG-4.

I used DVDfab to rip the title and selected the output as mp4. I sent the file to the Tivo with pyTivo and as expected, the file was sent without pyTivo transcoding it.

The title plays on the Tivo, but it freezes if I try to fast forward. Any ideas what would cause that or what I could do to fix it? Thanks.
oregonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #81
oregonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonman View Post
I am trying to get some DVD titles to my Tivo HD. I don't need perfect picture quality and I want to save space on the Tivo, so I want to transcode the files to MPEG-4.

I used DVDfab to rip the title and selected the output as mp4. I sent the file to the Tivo with pyTivo and as expected, the file was sent without pyTivo transcoding it.

The title plays on the Tivo, but it freezes if I try to fast forward. Any ideas what would cause that or what I could do to fix it? Thanks.
Well, I was experimenting and tried some encoding options in DVDFab. I selected no deinterlace and 2 pass encoding. The file created plays fine on the Tivo. Fast forward, rewind, etc. work well now. And the file size is a reasonable 500 MB instead of the 2 GB for the MPEG-2 file. I did not experiment to determine which of the options made the difference because I don't really care how long the encoding takes, so I'll just stick with these settings.
oregonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #82
Iluvatar

Since this is a sticky and not likely to be updated considering the last activity of the OP I want to say to anyone using this guide to install pyTivo....please don't. Some of the information is out of date and using the information provided in this thread will only serve to confuse you later on when you need to update pyTivo. The version mentioned is years out of date, no longer updated or supported and does not work well with newer TiVo's out of the box.

Please use the official pyTivo wiki instead:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

This will always lead you to the most up to date information on getting pyTivo installed and running correctly.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote