TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #301
bohbot16

Yoav,
I agree that it should just be added to the FAQ. I think that this workaround will be common for a lot of people using US HD cable. I wouldn't be surprised if the standard Handbrake AppleTV setting fixes this issue in their next release. The Handbrake guys would probably come up with a more elegant solution than forcing all video to 30fps.
bohbot16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #302
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
Yoav,
I agree that it should just be added to the FAQ. I think that this workaround will be common for a lot of people using US HD cable. I wouldn't be surprised if the standard Handbrake AppleTV setting fixes this issue in their next release. The Handbrake guys would probably come up with a more elegant solution than forcing all video to 30fps.
Ok it's in the FAQ now. Hopefully that will be useful for people who have the same issues.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #303
cmontyburns
Excellent.

iTiVo got a mention in a piece on Macworld.com today about transfers from TiVo to the iPhone.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #304
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
iTiVo got a mention in a piece on Macworld.com today about transfers from TiVo to the iPhone.
Ooh cool (and suck). Sounds like iTiVo wasn't working very well for him. But at least it is a mention

Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #305
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ooh cool (and suck). Sounds like iTiVo wasn't working very well for him. But at least it is a mention
Yeah, I posted a reply in the comments giving it some (deserved) love!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #306
Yoav

Just uploaded version 1.7.3 which supports listing copyrighted shows (you can't select or download them), lets you disable AtomicParsley (some people were having issues with it) and which lets you select a time range for when automatic queue downloads would be initiated (presumably at night).

Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #307
wdave

1.7.2: I converted a few shows and movies to my iPhone for a trip this weekend, first time using iTivo since upgrading to 1.7.2. Now my iPhone won't play anything. The video doesn't work, it just stays stuck on the first frame (I think it's the first frame), while the audio starts playing just fine. I can navigate to the middle and start playing with audio working fine, but the video stays frozen on that same frame.

Playing the same file on my MacBook Pro appears to work fine. That's what I used on the plane instead this time.

This all used to work before I upgraded. What happened?
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #308
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave View Post
1.7.2: I converted a few shows and movies to my iPhone for a trip this weekend, first time using iTivo since upgrading to 1.7.2. Now my iPhone won't play anything. The video doesn't work, it just stays stuck on the first frame (I think it's the first frame), while the audio starts playing just fine. I can navigate to the middle and start playing with audio working fine, but the video stays frozen on that same frame.

Playing the same file on my MacBook Pro appears to work fine. That's what I used on the plane instead this time.

Well, that's a very open ended question. Normally that would indicate that the file was encoded with some h.264 option that quicktime can play but that the iphone can't. However, nothing has changed in the iphone options since many versions ago, so I'm inclined to guess that maybe the source was a little 'funky'. Either it got copied to the iphone badly, or the iphone may have a bug triggered.

Is it a single file or all of them? Have you tried powering off the iphone (the full power off)? If you delete the file from the iphone and re-sync it?

If nothing else works, can you put the file somewhere so I can look at it? Also, did you change any of the advanced pref encoder options?

Old 02-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #309
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Just uploaded version 1.7.3 ... which lets you select a time range for when automatic queue downloads would be initiated (presumably at night).
This is a useful feature. At some point, to cap it off, you might make like Handbrake and add an option to put the computer to sleep once all encoding is done.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:46 AM   #310
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
This is a useful feature. At some point, to cap it off, you might make like Handbrake and add an option to put the computer to sleep once all encoding is done.
Ok that's a really good idea. So good I made the tiny codechange necessary to support it and checked in 1.7.4 . If you have the option on, it will only put the computer to sleep after a queue download, not a manual download (so if you want to download just one show and have the computer sleep, add the show to the queue and 'download now').

yeah I know how much people love updating their programs every 5 minutes...

Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #311
wdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave View Post

Disregard this ... for now. I turned on my phone this morning and tried to play them again and it worked.

It was 2 movies and 4 TV episodes that I had converted and loaded on the phone during the week in preparation for my trip. They all didn't work yesterday. They all do work today.

I'll let you know if the problem recurs. But from this evidence, I'd say you're off the hook.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #312
Yoav

1.7.5 is out.

I added support for extracting subtitles from shows into .srt files. (using t2sami). You can enable it in Preferences under the Subtitles tab. Keep in mind that if you have commercial skip AND subtitles enabled, you may end up with video/audio/subtitle sync issues.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #313
PacoII

Purple screen on TiVo

Question about using iTivo: I came home the other day to find iTivo not able to connect to my TiVo. When I turned on my TV there was nothing but a purple screen. Rebooting the TiVo resolved the issue, but I was wondering if using programs like iTivo and pytivoX increase the likelihood of this occurring?
PacoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #314
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoII View Post
Question about using iTivo: I came home the other day to find iTivo not able to connect to my TiVo. When I turned on my TV there was nothing but a purple screen. Rebooting the TiVo resolved the issue, but I was wondering if using programs like iTivo and pytivoX increase the likelihood of this occurring?
I have never seen a purple screen before (and I use both tools). It *may* indicate that your hard drive is dying though, and that would suck.

I doubt iTivo or pyTivoX are responsible (they use the same interface that TivoToGo uses, and I seriously doubt that there are issues like that). but like anything, it's all down to code on the tivo, and I can't guarantee anything.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #315
PacoII

Thanks for the reply. I am still fairly new to the TiVo world, so wasn't sure if running these types of apps put extra 'strain' on the TiVo OS. I sure hope the drive isn't dying - it's only been in use for about 3 months.

One other small thing: I have iTivo set up as a startup/login item. The dialog box that comes up saying that the app is under active development, prevents anything from happening until you click ok. So iTivo sits there doing nothing until I remember to go back to my computer and click the ok button. Any chance you could present this message in a way that does not block iTivo from connecting and doing it's thing? Perhaps a different type of message window that allows iTivo to keep doing it's thing? It's running on a mac that acts as a server, so I frequently will just reboot and forget about it. Now I can't do that and have to wait until it reboots, click the ok, then I can leave it.

Thanks!!

Quote:
I have never seen a purple screen before (and I use both tools). It *may* indicate that your hard drive is dying though, and that would suck.

I doubt iTivo or pyTivoX are responsible (they use the same interface that TivoToGo uses, and I seriously doubt that there are issues like that). but like anything, it's all down to code on the tivo, and I can't guarantee anything.

PacoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #316
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoII View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am still fairly new to the TiVo world, so wasn't sure if running these types of apps put extra 'strain' on the TiVo OS. I sure hope the drive isn't dying - it's only been in use for about 3 months.

One other small thing: I have iTivo set up as a startup/login item. The dialog box that comes up saying that the app is under active development, prevents anything from happening until you click ok. So iTivo sits there doing nothing until I remember to go back to my computer and click the ok button. Any chance you could present this message in a way that does not block iTivo from connecting and doing it's thing? Perhaps a different type of message window that allows iTivo to keep doing it's thing? It's running on a mac that acts as a server, so I frequently will just reboot and forget about it. Now I can't do that and have to wait until it reboots, click the ok, then I can leave it.

Thanks!!
Unfortunately, as coded, there's no clean way to tell it to never prompt. I'm thinking of just removing that prompt since it seems more annoying than useful, BUT:

If you have a way of running a command BEFORE you launch iTiVo, you can do something like:

Code:
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.iTiVo.iTiVo LaunchCount 1
(note that it's a tilde, not a minus sign up there). That will give you 99 launches before you get the prompt (and if you run that command, it will reset it again).

If you don't have any such thing, you can 'semi-fix' it by opening Tivo's 'advanced prefs' tab, and under 'run when download completes' put that command. As long as you complete at least one download before launching itivo 99 times, you should be golden.

Note that this may break in future releases of itivo, but most likely I'll just be getting rid of that prompt soon enough.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #317
roblight

AppleScript Error with latest version

It just updated to the latest version this weekend and I'm getting a AppleScript Error (AppleEvent handler failed. (-10000)) after iTivo is launched and is sitting idle for a while. I assume it's trying to download a show. I'm using the AppleTV setting.

Is there a log file I can post?
roblight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #318
MeStinkBAD

Have you considered trying this so the dialog will auto close? This is the code responsible for displaying that dialog on launch...

Code:
on launched theObject
	if LaunchCount > 100 or LaunchCount ≤ 0 then
		display dialog¬
		 "This program is under active development. Some features may not work. *Do not distribute copyrighted material*" ¬
		 buttons {"OK"} default button "OK" attached to window "iTiVo"  giving up after 5 
		set LaunchCount to 0
	end if
	set LaunchCount to LaunchCount + 1
	setSettingsInUI()
	if canAutoConnect = true and shouldAutoConnect = true then
		my ConnectTiVo()
	end if
	setDrawers()
end launched

MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #319
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeStinkBAD View Post
Have you considered trying this so the dialog will auto close? This is the code responsible for displaying that dialog on launch...
Cool added, thanks
(should be in whatever becomes the next release).

Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #320
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblight View Post
It just updated to the latest version this weekend and I'm getting a AppleScript Error (AppleEvent handler failed. (-10000)) after iTivo is launched and is sitting idle for a while. I assume it's trying to download a show. I'm using the AppleTV setting.

Is there a log file I can post?
The log is in /tmp/iTiVo-<username>/iTiVo.log

However, generally applescript errors do not log anything interesting in there, though it can't hurt to check. I've left an idle iTiVo running for a while and still no error though. Are you connected to the tivo? Do you have any subscriptions? Any interesting preferences set (scheduling related)?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #321
reddfoxx

Hi,

I have been using this program for a few weeks now and it works extremely well. There is just one possible bug that I have noticed.

When doing a decrypt, when a file gets really large (10GB+) it seems that the progress does not update nearly as often as it does when the file is smaller. The file itself is still growing at the same rate according to an "ls" in the terminal.

Is this a known problem, or am I perhaps doing something incorrect?
reddfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #322
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddfoxx View Post
Is this a known problem, or am I perhaps doing something incorrect?
Hmm,
it's the first I've heard of this problem, but I don't have any shows over 10G to test with. I'll try and record a two hour HD thing, I think that should break the 10G marker.

My *guess*: iTiVo uses curl to fetch the show from the tivo. Curl reports on the progress, and it's possible that at the 10G marker, instead of reporting in megs it reports in gigs, which means 'progress' changes less often. I'll see if that's the case and if so I'll look for a workaround.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #323
reddfoxx

Hi,

Last night's 24 was the first time I had noticed it. You are probably right that the progress is in GB units. Don't think it is something that people will run into often and it doesn't impede functionality, just wanted to point it out.
reddfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #324
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddfoxx View Post
Hi,

Last night's 24 was the first time I had noticed it. You are probably right that the progress is in GB units. Don't think it is something that people will run into often and it doesn't impede functionality, just wanted to point it out.
edit : Verified that at around the 9.5G mark, it swaps from reporting progress in megs to reporting progress in gigs. iTiVo should still successfully download, but yeah the progress will be jerkier as it is getting progress info in larger chunks. There may be a risk of it 'timing out' if it takes more than 5 minutes to fetch 0.1G of data... I'll go see if I can do something about it.

Last edited by Yoav : 03-03-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #325
GKevinK

TiVo name list update?

Hi Yoav,

Hey... how does iTiVo populate the drop down selection list for which TiVo to use? I recently relocated one of my TiVos and updated the name on the tivo website. My modified name has been populated to the machine (it's visible in the system settings there) but the dropdown list in iTiVo continues to display the old name. It is connecting fine to the TiVo and everything else appears normal... but in poking around I haven't discovered a way to persuade iTiVo to repopulate the names in the list. I've poked around a bunch of the plist files also and haven't noticed an obvious place where they are preserved.

Thanks for any insight.

Kevin
GKevinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #326
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKevinK View Post
Hi Yoav,

Hey... how does iTiVo populate the drop down selection list for which TiVo to use?
It uses a network service discover protocol known as 'bonjour'. It basically broadcasts on the local network 'what tivos are here', and remembers the responses.

If you exit and restart iTivo, it will not have any of the values cached.. so if it's still showing an old tivo, somehow something on the network is responding with that name... (possibly your old tivo).

At the absolute worst, you can always ignore the name, and supply an IP address directly.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #327
GKevinK

I've restarted iTiVo many times... I'm guessing that maybe the TiVo itself needs to be restarted... will report back.

Kevin
Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #328
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKevinK View Post
I've restarted iTiVo many times... I'm guessing that maybe the TiVo itself needs to be restarted... will report back.

Kevin
It's possible that the change doesn't take effect until after the tivo does a nightly download AND reboots.. I don't know.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #329
GKevinK

Rebooting the TiVo did the trick. Even though the TiVo was reporting the new name in the system settings, apparently it continues to supply the old name in response to Bonjour queries until it has been restarted.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #330
danm628

Yoav,

I ran into a crash of iTiVo while converting an HD TV program to H.264 5 Mbps. I was converting the latest episode of Battlestar Galatica and ended up with an error dialog saying "The application Atomic Parsley quit unexpectedly". I've repeated this several times, both with and without commercial skip enabled.

In iTiVoDL2.log there are these lines:
VDec: using Planar I420 as output csp (no 1)
Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.

New video file has different resolution or colorspace than the previous one.
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

I had already converted this show to iPhone format and imported it to iTunes with no errors.

Let me know what other log data you need and I'll post it.

Thanks for the great program. It does exactly what I want. This is the first error I've run into.

- Dan
danm628 is offline   Reply With Quote