TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #181
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
Damn! I was going to try that.
Sorry. But actually they way you fixed it accomplishes the same thing. (Putting the entire "mp4a / 0xblahblah" in the compatible audio codecs). My post was just changing the regular expression to accomplish the same thing.

I haven't looked into exactly how pyTivo tivo determines when to transcode, but what jumps out now that I am taking a closer look at both your ffmpeg -i output and the pyTivo log from above is:

vFps=59.94

Which may be causing pyTivo to force transcoding. (As it should if the frame rate is really 59.94 fps, because TiVo won't like that) Your mediainfo dump shows 29.97 as the fps, so it looks like ffmpeg is somehow getting an incorrect frame rate from that file.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #182
NA9D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Not gonna comment about the rest, but
'!' is standard (from C) terminology for NOT.

So saying something like
if (A != B) is a test for A NOT equal to B.

So your whole interpretation of the rest is backwards.
OK. I never learned C (back in the day I taught myself Pascal but who uses that now!). I thought perhaps I might have it backwards. But then seeing the failure later on in the logs made me question it...

I would think files encoded from your build of iTivo should work and be pushable back but who knows at this point. And I haven't been able to get pyTivoX to configure properly to test this feature out with it...
NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #183
NA9D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Sorry. But actually they way you fixed it accomplishes the same thing. (Putting the entire "mp4a / 0xblahblah" in the compatible audio codecs). My post was just changing the regular expression to accomplish the same thing.

I haven't looked into exactly how pyTivo tivo determines when to transcode, but what jumps out now that I am taking a closer look at both your ffmpeg -i output and the pyTivo log from above is:

vFps=59.94

Which may be causing pyTivo to force transcoding. (As it should if the frame rate is really 59.94 fps, because TiVo won't like that) Your mediainfo dump shows 29.97 as the fps, so it looks like ffmpeg is somehow getting an incorrect frame rate from that file.
Well, it looks like it all comes back to my install of ffmpeg. I really don't want to try compiling it for ARM9 (not sure I even have the compilers on the NAS) and wish I could find a useful version out there. I'll keep looking.

Rats...
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #184
Yoav

Quote:
Well, it looks like it all comes back to my install of ffmpeg. I really don't want to try compiling it for ARM9 (not sure I even have the compilers on the NAS) and wish I could find a useful version out there. I'll keep looking.

Rats...
What OS is the NAS running? I know netbsd for ARM makes their packages easily available...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #185
NA9D

Quote:
What OS is the NAS running? I know netbsd for ARM makes their packages easily available...
It's whatever Linux distribution comes on the Buffalos.

I'm not sure if it's a variant of busy box or what. My unix isn't good enough to tell me how to know...
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #186
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
This is what I'd like to do - upgrade my FFMPEG. Problem is, I'm not sure where to get a compiled version from. The version I am using is being supplied through iPKG but it does not seem to work well. So I'm not sure where to get another version compiled for the ARM processor. I'll admit I haven't looked real hard yet either...
You may have to set up the Precompiled C Cross Toolchain and compile it. I don't envy you that task.

Last edited by CuriousMark : 02-26-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added link
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #187
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Actually the mediainfo dump on the tigger show does show 59.94 fps so ffmpeg does appear to be reporting it correctly.
Quote:
Complete name : /Volumes/Media-1/Video/iTivoDownloads/My Friends Tigger & Pooh/My Friends Tigger & Pooh - Darby Goes Woozle Sluethin'; How the Tigger Lost His.mp4
Frame rate : 59.940 fps

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #188
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Actually the mediainfo dump on the tigger show does show 59.94 fps so ffmpeg does appear to be reporting it correctly.
My bad. I was looking at the galactica episode mediainfo dump.

NA9D: You may want to see if the galactica episode pushes, now that the audio detection is probably OK.

kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #189
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
If the Video Codec is H.264 then force transcoding because it's not compatible...or am I reading that wrong?
Backwards.

Quote:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:(True, 'TRANSCODE=NO, passing through mp4.')
This indicates that it passed the test. Period.

Quote:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:(False, 'TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec h264 not compatible.')
This is just standard output from tivo_compatible(). It's what would happen if you did a pull. It doesn't indicate that the file is going to be transcoded... nothing in those log excerpts does.

If you're seeing the TRANSCODE=NO message, but not seeing a transfer, you may just need to wait. Push transfers don't start immediately. Or you may have to restart the TiVo... give it a few minutes, though.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-26-2009 at 12:43 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #190
Yoav

Quote:
It's whatever Linux distribution comes on the Buffalos.

I'm not sure if it's a variant of busy box or what. My unix isn't good enough to tell me how to know...
I'm curious: what does
Code:
 uname -a
report?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #191
NA9D

Quote:
I'm curious: what does
Code:
 uname -a
report?
Linux MEDIASERVER 2.6.16.16-arm1 #6 Fri Aug 31 13:07:15 JST 2007 armv5tejl unknown
Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #192
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

There are several projects out there for upgrading kernels and putting other distributions on it. foonas and debian are in various states of testing and availability. I have the same NAS, but am trying to stay as close to stock as I can since it has a lot of great functionality that would need to be recreated with quite a bit of effort if I replaced it with Debian. I am following this discussion with interest and plan on following in NA9D's footsteps this weekend.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #193
Yoav

Quote:
Linux MEDIASERVER 2.6.16.16-arm1 #6 Fri Aug 31 13:07:15 JST 2007 armv5tejl unknown
Ok I failed to find any dpkgs or rpms that would work. Welcome to the world of cross-compiling Have fun!! (it's a pain in da butt).

edit I spoke too soon:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/ffmpeg

you may need to install a bunch of dependencies (potentially really huge ones like libc), but I think that should work on your kernel... I see there is also an ipkg installation (ipkg install ffmpeg). I assume that's the one you have?

Or just use OpenLink? which has the compiler and tools installed...?
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/OpenLink
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/...ning_on_the_LS

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/...nkstation_Live

Last edited by Yoav : 02-26-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #194
NA9D

Quote:
Ok I failed to find any dpkgs or rpms that would work. Welcome to the world of cross-compiling Have fun!! (it's a pain in da butt).

edit I spoke too soon:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/ffmpeg

you may need to install a bunch of dependencies, but I think that should work on your kernel...
That was the one that I was looking at that I was thinking of doing. But it was too late last night. I downloaded the .deb file but then my lack of unix/linux skills failed me...

Not sure how to get the .deb file loaded properly onto the NAS...
Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #195
NA9D

OK. I've got a push successfully going now! Thanks for the help.

My main Tivo is not starting pushes for some reason. I think I know why but I can't say for sure...

Anyhow, on my second Tivo, the Battlestar Galactica push started right away and it started playing which is very cool....

Now to figure out why Yoav's H.264 encodes from pyTivox have a 59 fps frame-rate. I wonder if I need to change the de-interlacing setting? Dunno....
Old 02-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #196
txporter
One sec, almost done

According to the pytivo configure wiki, 59.94 fps should be ok.

Also, I answered my own question from earlier about pushing more than one show at a time. It seems to work fine. I clicked on one and then a few seconds later I pushed another and they both transferred up fine.

One question though, should I be able to watch a mp4 file that is being pushed up while it is actually being pushed? I was pushing 10min clips and wasn't able to view until they were finished. Was wondering if that is what I should expect or maybe just because they were short?

Jason

P.S. I am not sure what all is possible on the pytivo push screen, but is there a way to indicate if something is in the process of being pushed or that one is queued, or anything like that?
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)

Last edited by txporter : 02-26-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: adding a comment
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #197
Yoav

Quote:
OK. I've got a push successfully going now! Thanks for the help.

My main Tivo is not starting pushes for some reason. I think I know why but I can't say for sure...

Anyhow, on my second Tivo, the Battlestar Galactica push started right away and it started playing which is very cool....

Now to figure out why Yoav's H.264 encodes from pyTivox have a 59 fps frame-rate. I wonder if I need to change the de-interlacing setting? Dunno....
EDIT:
pyTivo doesn't encode to h.264

Can you explain what steps you took to end up with this framerate?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #198
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
According to the pytivo configure wiki, 59.97 fps should be ok.
Interlaced frames at that rate is fine, but for mp4 files we are talking about progressive frames. I don't think I've tried 60p framerate for mp4 files (30p or 24p is more common) so don't know if it works or not.

Last edited by moyekj : 02-27-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Striked out wrong statement
Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #199
NA9D

Quote:
EDIT:
pyTivo doesn't encode to h.264

Can you explain what steps you took to end up with this framerate?
Don't know. I've used your standard mencoder settings for everything on these. The only change was to add an audio delay of 0.25 seconds.

I'll check my other files encoded by iTivo.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #200
NA9D

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post

One question though, should I be able to watch a mp4 file that is being pushed up while it is actually being pushed? I was pushing 10min clips and wasn't able to view until they were finished. Was wondering if that is what I should expect or maybe just because they were short?
I was able to. Well, I wasn't supposed to since I'm at work (dang Slingboxes!) but I did check it and it was OK.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #201
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Interlaced frames at that rate is fine, but for mp4 files we are talking about progressive frames. I don't think I've tried 60p framerate for mp4 files (30p or 24p is more common) so don't know if it works or not.
Ok, I follow that. The mp4s that I have pushed so far have been 23.976 fps progressive and have played fine.

One question though, all of the 10min clips have had green blocky (stuff?) in the first few seconds of the video. I saw a post about this in the streambaby thread from westside_guy. I didn't see a solution for it. Does anyone know what is causing this or how to fix?

Jason
Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #202
Yoav

Quote:
Don't know. I've used your standard mencoder settings for everything on these. The only change was to add an audio delay of 0.25 seconds.

I'll check my other files encoded by iTivo.
oh iTiVo!! (sorry my bad I should have figured it out).

Do you know which 'format' you used as the basis? I'm looking at all the movies I created with iTiVo, and all the ones I've checked so far are mp4's with a framerate of 29.97

-- yoav

Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #203
NA9D

Quote:
oh iTiVo!! (sorry my bad I should have figured it out).

Do you know which 'format' you used as the basis? I'm looking at all the movies I created with iTiVo, and all the ones I've checked so far are mp4's with a framerate of 29.97

-- yoav
Oh, it's the iPod/iPhone Super-Res setting. Perhaps there's something in that?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #204
Yoav

Quote:
Oh, it's the iPod/iPhone Super-Res setting. Perhaps there's something in that?
Just tried using iphone super res on my computer:

Code:
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/Users/yoav/Desktop/tivo/The Daily Show With Jon Stewart - Tom Selleck.mp4':
  Duration: 00:00:29.01, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1457 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 640x480, 29.97 tb(r)
    Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16
At least one output file must be specified
So that's not the problem... (I also tried adding a -delay 0.25 to see if that changed anything.. nothing changed).

Old 02-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #205
txporter
One sec, almost done

The seeking (FF/RW) within a mp4 is choppier or more discrete than the MPEG2 tivo recordings. Is this due to the decoding requirements of mp4 on the tivo, or is this something I can affect with min/max GOP (or something else) when encoding?

Jason
Old 02-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #206
euckersw

Quote:
Originally Posted by euckersw View Post
So what if we were to use a program like mkv2vob to remux a mkv file with h264 to a mp4 file?:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2vob

Would that be able to trick Tivo into accepting the remuxed mkv without transcoding?
Just in case anyone was going to try this, mkv2vob does not remux mkv files to mp4 files (in fact, it really only renames the resulting mpg to mp4). I've looked around for other good solutions for remuxing a mkv to mp4, but have yet to find one. Please let me know if you anybody else has any success...
euckersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #207
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by euckersw View Post
Just in case anyone was going to try this, mkv2vob does not remux mkv files to mp4 files (in fact, it really only renames the resulting mpg to mp4). I've looked around for other good solutions for remuxing a mkv to mp4, but have yet to find one. Please let me know if you anybody else has any success...
There is the ffmpeg way, though it may lead to audio/video sync problems. Something like:
ffmpeg -i "file.mkv" -acodec copy -vcodec copy -copyts -f mp4 "file.mp4"

i.e. copy audio & video & timestamps and mux into mp4 container.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #208
NA9D

Quote:

Code:
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/Users/yoav/Desktop/tivo/The Daily Show With Jon Stewart - Tom Selleck.mp4':
So that's not the problem... (I also tried adding a -delay 0.25 to see if that changed anything.. nothing changed).
I'll check another encode with your software. Maybe this one was done with Visual Hub or something. I've used that in the past and thought this one had been done by iTivo but maybe not...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #209
Rdian06

Quote:
There is the ffmpeg way, though it may lead to audio/video sync problems. Something like:
ffmpeg -i "file.mkv" -acodec copy -vcodec copy -copyts -f mp4 "file.mp4"

i.e. copy audio & video & timestamps and mux into mp4 container.
Technically that is the ffmpeg way, but -acodec copy into -f mp4 is horribly broken right now. The code fails to set the audio framesize (and apparently the bits per sample as well) for "copy" and so it bombs out immediately with an error.

And when you start with ac3 5.1 channels in the mkv and do:

ffmpeg -i "file.mkv" -ab 448k -ar 48000 -acodec ac3 -vcodec copy -copyts -f mp4 "file.mp4"

ffmpeg reports that it is transcoding from ac3 5.1 to ac3 5.1 in the console output, but ffmpeg -i on the resulting mp4 shows ac3 stereo. I think it's hard coding the header info somewhere

All in all, ffmpeg's mp4 muxing isn't very reliable right now. I tested all this with an ffmpeg SVN snapshot from last night.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #210
NA9D

Quote:

Code:
Yoav

That encode was done with iTivo, but I'm not sure how. All my other iTivo encodes show up fine. So not sure what happened with that one...