TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #31
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobozz View Post
(Forgive me if I misread this thread.)
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you guys are using HDMI.
I believe there was an output flag bug that was introduced with the the 11.X software.
Tivo will flag basically all of the SD stuff, including its SD HME apps as 16:9 on the HDMI output.

This causes my 16:9 tv to be confused and doesn't left/right letterbox SD stuff at all anymore.
This forces me to use Tivo's built in left/right letterboxing for SD stuff... which unfortunately does nothing for SD HEM apps.

This problem was not present on component outputs, iirc.
Try using component and see if you still have your resolution problems.
Damn, I just switched to HDMI after a long time with component. I'll try this out when I get a chance.

If what you say is true then isn't TiVo already aware of the issue? If so where the heck is the fix?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #32
turbobozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
Damn, I just switched to HDMI after a long time with component. I'll try this out when I get a chance.

If what you say is true then isn't TiVo already aware of the issue? If so where the heck is the fix?
I'm fairly certain I saw a tivo rep reply in one of those threads, so I'm pretty certain they are aware of it.

I imagine the fix is not a high priority unfortunately... and with a small company and limited/remote coding resources (Bangalore!)... it might take a while to fix a relatively minor issue.

For a bit of perspective, I just hooked up my xbox through hdmi to one of my new TVs... only to find that there is a known bug since Nov with the new UI that sometimes cuts HDMI audio (some HDCP handshake problem in the NXE dashboard software).
Apparently the xbox tinks my tv is a monitor w/o sound or something.
Anyways... MS still hasn't fixed it, but a fix is exepcted in Feb or something.
Even a big company with tons of programming resources can take a while to fix seemingly simple problems.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #33
ciper

Hello TiVo engineers. Please take your time to understand why this bug is important. Most displays are able to determine the aspect ratio of incoming video and adjust the "stretch" appropriately. This bug in the TiVo disables this feature and forces users to constantly futz with their remotes. Thank you for your time.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #34
aindik

Quote:
Hello TiVo engineers. Please take your time to understand why this bug is important. Most displays are able to determine the aspect ratio of incoming video and adjust the "stretch" appropriately. This bug in the TiVo disables this feature and forces users to constantly futz with their remotes. Thank you for your time.
I don't think there's a bug. The TiVo search is a 720p menu. It's authored in 720p and displays in 720p, as it should.

All the other TiVo menus are 480i menus.

Maybe you're right that it should be 1080i, but that's less a bug and more a design choice.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:57 AM   #35
ciper

I think you missed an important part of the thread. The bug is no longer about the search feature.

The bug is that the TiVo is improperly flagging 4:3 video as 16:9 if you choose a 16:9 display.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #36
turbobozz

4:3 shows, 4:3 TiVo menus, etc... several things that are 4:3 are being flagged 16:9 improperly when using HDMI and a 16:9 display setting.
Definitely a bug and not a preference.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #37
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobozz View Post
4:3 shows, 4:3 TiVo menus, etc... several things that are 4:3 are being flagged 16:9 improperly when using HDMI and a 16:9 display setting.
Definitely a bug and not a preference.
Thank you for the backup. The only solution I have found so far is to use Smart Screen but that forces my menus into 480i (not a terrible thing I guess)
Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #38
aindik

Quote:
Thank you for the backup. The only solution I have found so far is to use Smart Screen but that forces my menus into 480i (not a terrible thing I guess)
This is what I do. The menus are formatted for display in 480i anyway.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #39
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
This is what I do. The menus are formatted for display in 480i anyway.
Hehe which then brings us back to an inconsistency (bug?) where all the menus are 480i except the new search which is stuck in 720p.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #40
aindik

Quote:
Hehe which then brings us back to an inconsistency (bug?) where all the menus are 480i except the new search which is stuck in 720p.
This is not a bug.

It's an "inconsistency" insofar as TiVo has just now begun to move from SD menus to HD menus. I'm OK with a bit of transition time here. I don't expect them to move to all HD menus before I see any. I would rather have some than none.

The new search isn't "stuck" in 720p. It is actually designed and formatted to be shown in 720p. As opposed to the rest of the menus, which are not.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 AM   #41
ciper

Is there a way to report this issue besides the useless level one phone support?

I'd really like to use HDMI and have 16:9 screen selected but have 4:3 properly flagged. I don't like juggling remotes. I've removed the batteries from my TV remote because the auto aspect ratio adjustment works so well with all my other devices.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #42
turbobozz

Quote:
Is there a way to report this issue besides the useless level one phone support?

I'd really like to use HDMI and have 16:9 screen selected but have 4:3 properly flagged. I don't like juggling remotes. I've removed the batteries from my TV remote because the auto aspect ratio adjustment works so well with all my other devices.
Strength in numbers?
Get people riled up on forums and build up a following?

The problem with this bug is that it affects only people using HDMI , have TVs that pay attention to the aspect flag on 480, and dislike 4:3 stretched to 16:9.
It can also be difficult to describe in words or even pictures.

There are TVs that are capable of displaying the flag being shown.
Take pictures or video to demonstrate the issue? Maybe that could help artificially inflate the impact of the bug on the TiVo user base?

I've more or less decided that this bug is unimportant enough that it will become part of the long list of annoying bugs that get introduced but never fixed.
(I like my TiVo, but I am too often disappointed with lack of resolution for long standing minor issues.)
Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #43
NiteCourt

We have a 19" 720p TV set to Hybrid 720p. After a day of not using it if we press the Tivo button it switches to 480p Fixed. Very annoying.