TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #31
Indysmak

Awesome program. Can't thank you enough for helping the rest of us out.
Indysmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #32
benlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by tptshoe View Post
Thank you so much for posting this program! I've been trying for several days to get tivo files to play on my PC and this finally did the trick. Here are the codecs that worked for me:

Audio: AC3Filter
MpegDemuxer: MainConcept MPEG Splitter
Video: MainConcept MPEG Video Decoder
Where can I get/download the MainConcept MPEG Video Decoder? Thanks.
benlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #33
ggieseke

Desktop installs the MainConcept codecs, but they don't get unlocked unless you buy the Desktop Plus upgrade.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #34
mrjam2jab
Still Learning

I used:

MainConcept Demux
Ligos MPEG Audio
InterVideo Video

Show seems to play fine within CodecMgr....put when i tried playing with VLC (my default player) I get "Unrecognized format" error msg.

Scott B

Tivo 540 S2 9.3.1 Lifetime EC
Tivo 240 S2 9.3.1 Lifetime SM
Tivo 240 S2 9.3.1 Monthly SW
Tivo 649 S2D2 Monthly MK
mrjam2jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:09 AM   #35
ggieseke

VLC uses its own internal codecs, so TDCM has no effect on it. You might check their forum or wiki.

Have you tried playing the files in Media Player?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #36
mrjam2jab
Still Learning

I didnt try MP....I go so excited when i saw it work ...i didnt think of trying some of the other video players i have...I'll try them tonight when i have more time.

Thanks for this.

Edit: It DOES work with Media Player!!!! :-)

Thank you again!

Scott B

Tivo 649 S2D2 Monthly MK

Last edited by mrjam2jab : 01-29-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #37
mykall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Desktop installs the MainConcept codecs, but they don't get unlocked unless you buy the Desktop Plus upgrade.
====

There is something I'm not understanding or missing. At some point did Tivo cut off the ability of desktop to playback and extend that only to the paid plus version? If not why does something that used to work not work anymore and why hasn't Tivo fixed the problem?

thanks

Mike
mykall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #38
ggieseke

AFAIK they never gave away the codecs (primarily MPEG-2) for free. Even Microsoft operating systems never included it until Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate, and you pay for them in the additional price of the OS.

Most PCs these days come with a DVD player and a lite version of something like WinDVD or PowerDVD, which provides MPEG-2 playback capability. There are some free codecs out there that manage to somehow skate around the license fees, but IMO you get what you pay for.

If some kind of DVD player software was included with your computer reinstalling it should get you going.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #39
mykall

I was able to get this to work at home but for some reason with the same codecs at work I'm getting

IGraphBuilder::Renderfile error when I ask the app to open a .tivo file.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #40
ggieseke

What error number is it listing, what version of Desktop is installed, and what OS?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #41
mykall

OS = XP sp3

desktop V. was 2.62 and errored again after upgrading to 2.7

I'm at home right now and when I perform the same task on XP
on the same program from the same jump drive it produces the
play flow chart and will also play from within T-desktop.

I'll have the error number when I get back to work.

thanks for the help.

MB
Old 02-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #42
mykall

Error 0x80071771 (2147948401)

Thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #43
mykall

Ok, I figured it out. Even though the work laptop is never used to transfer to and from the DVR the MAK must be entered to play the files. I thought this was only used to gain access to the DVR for transfer, but obviously it does more than that.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #44
ggieseke

Good to know. I never ran it without the MAK, which is used as the decryption key. Error 0x80071771 is listed as ERROR_DECRYPTION_FAILED so that makes sense.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #45
a4cab03

TiVoDesktopCodecMgr.exe would not run

Hi ggieseke,

I downloaded the latest zip you posted, unzipped in a folder.
When I tried to run it, it doesn't do anything for a minute or so then I'm getting an error message "Windows cannot access..".

See attached screen shot.

I have tivodesktop 2.6.2 running on Vista home premium.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error.jpg (42.9 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by a4cab03 : 02-18-2009 at 01:33 AM.
a4cab03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #46
ggieseke

It's an error message from Vista, not the program itself. Make sure that you are running it with an account that has Administrator rights (also required by TiVo Desktop) and check the security settings on the folder.

You could also try turning off User Account Control.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #47
alexfuller

Can't thank you enough for writing (and supporting!) this on your own time.

I'm running TivoDesktop 2.7 on XP sp3 and I'm getting the IGraphBuilder:RenderFile error with error 0x00000001. I do have the access key embedded and a mpeg-2 codec installed. I don't have the pro version, but the flow chart looks like the MainConcept demuxer is being loaded. Registry setting maybe?
alexfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #48
a4cab03

Quote:
It's an error message from Vista, not the program itself. Make sure that you are running it with an account that has Administrator rights (also required by TiVo Desktop) and check the security settings on the folder.

You could also try turning off User Account Control.
Yep, I'm running Vista with an admin account.
User account control is turned off as well.

Oh well, I actually have Powerdvd ultra 8 installed on my machine and it plays all my .tivo files flawlessly without me having to do any kind of conversion on those files.

Thanks though for putting the time to support us.
a4cab03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #49
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4cab03 View Post
Yep, I'm running Vista with an admin account.
User account control is turned off as well.

Oh well, I actually have Powerdvd ultra 8 installed on my machine and it plays all my .tivo files flawlessly without me having to do any kind of conversion on those files.

Thanks though for putting the time to support us.
You could try using Filemon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb545046.aspx) to see what's causing the access denied message.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #50
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfuller View Post
I'm running TivoDesktop 2.7 on XP sp3 and I'm getting the IGraphBuilder:RenderFile error with error 0x00000001. I do have the access key embedded and a mpeg-2 codec installed. I don't have the pro version, but the flow chart looks like the MainConcept demuxer is being loaded. Registry setting maybe?
IGraphBuilder:RenderFile is the DirectShow function that actually build the filter graph. Error 0x00000001 (Invalid function) isn't even listed as one of the possible errors that call should return. I have seen some weird results with some combinations of codecs - for example the audio codec from my ancient copy of PowerDVD 4 crashes it instantly.

You might be able to figure out what settings (if any) work best for you by setting your preferred codecs with TDCM, but using Media Player to try them out. There's also a program called GraphStudio at http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/tools/...m-graphstudio/ that will let you build filter graphs by hand.

I noticed that Desktop 2.7 added a lot of new logs, including a full DirectX diagnostic. If you use its LogFinder utility to enable logging that file might help.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #51
mrjam2jab
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykall View Post
====

There is something I'm not understanding or missing. At some point did Tivo cut off the ability of desktop to playback and extend that only to the paid plus version? If not why does something that used to work not work anymore and why hasn't Tivo fixed the problem?

Quote:
AFAIK they never gave away the codecs (primarily MPEG-2) for free. Even Microsoft operating systems never included it until Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate, and you pay for them in the additional price of the OS.

Most PCs these days come with a DVD player and a lite version of something like WinDVD or PowerDVD, which provides MPEG-2 playback capability. There are some free codecs out there that manage to somehow skate around the license fees, but IMO you get what you pay for.

If some kind of DVD player software was included with your computer reinstalling it should get you going.
There was a time when i could watch any of my tivo shows right from TivoDesktop....then when they upgraded to whatever version included the Plus option...I could not watch anymore...

Until this thread anyway...

Scott B

Tivo 649 S2D2 Monthly MK
Old 03-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #52
mchahn

Doesn't fix WMP

I can build graphs in your new utility (awesome by the way) and play my files in your player, although the picture is stretched a bit wide.

But it doesn't seem to fix the problems I had before. mplayer still crashes on TiVo files and the WMP will start fine and then about 5 seconds into the file the screen always freezes while the audio continues.

Doesn't the utility change the registry so that all players are affected? Can someone suggest a player that is guaranteed to use what the graph uses?
mchahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #53
ggieseke

It should definitely affect WMP since it uses straight DirectShow. VLC uses its own codecs, so it's a completely different critter. There are various players that are somewhere in between.

You can confirm the codecs that WMP is using by clicking File-Properties once you load a .TiVo file. I have never seen a case before when it didn't use the same settings as TDCM.

BTW, You do know that it only affects .TiVo files, right? I have used it to troubleshoot codec issues on other files like .MP4 but the only way to actually control the filter graph used by those files is to change the DirectShow 'merit' with something like DSFMgr. I have also seen a few rare cases where the merit settings were worthless because another software package had changed a setting under the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\Extensions" registry key - Miro and Nero re MP4 playback are good examples.

Let me know what WMP shows under the properties dialog, and what your graph looks like. If the aspect ratio is off using TDCM it's not a good sign that your codec is bright enough to pound sand...
Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #54
mchahn

Quote:
It should definitely affect WMP since it uses straight DirectShow. VLC uses its own codecs, so it's a completely different critter. There are various players that are somewhere in between.

You can confirm the codecs that WMP is using by clicking File-Properties once you load a .TiVo file. I have never seen a case before when it didn't use the same settings as TDCM.

BTW, You do know that it only affects .TiVo files, right? I have used it to troubleshoot codec issues on other files like .MP4 but the only way to actually control the filter graph used by those files is to change the DirectShow 'merit' with something like DSFMgr. I have also seen a few rare cases where the merit settings were worthless because another software package had changed a setting under the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\Extensions" registry key - Miro and Nero re MP4 playback are good examples.

Let me know what WMP shows under the properties dialog, and what your graph looks like. If the aspect ratio is off using TDCM it's not a good sign that your codec is bright enough to pound sand...
-- Edit -- before reading my old post below, you should know that upgrading to TiVo Desktop Plus fixed my problems. But if you read the end of this message it appears there is a problem with your software, but I could be wrong, as usual.

-------

I'm very familiar with vlc. I am a big fan, for what it does. I know it uses its own codecs.

I just checked and the codec names in TDCM graph and WMP are identical:

Demux: "Mainconcept MPEG Demultiplexer (not shown in WMP)"
Audio: "Mainconcept (Adobe2) Mpeg Audio Decoder"
Video: "Mainconcept (Adobe2) Mpeg Video Decoder"

AHA!

I just noticed that the above filters do not match my choices in TDCM, even though they match the graph! TDCM choices are:

Demux: "Mainconcept Stream Parser"
Audio: "MPEG Audio decoder"
Video: "Mainconcept (Adobe2) Mpeg Video Decoder"

So the choices in the "Preferred Directshow Filters" aren't giving the right graph. It has bothered me a little that there is no apply or confirmation there.

If it helps any, here is my registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\DirectShow\PreferredFilters\ AudioCodec]
"CLSID"="{4A2286E0-7BEF-11CE-9BD9-0000E202599C}"
"Description"="MPEG Audio Decoder"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\DirectShow\PreferredFilters\ MpegDemuxer]
"CLSID"="{DEE56715-7081-4D57-91A7-984AE2712268}"
"Description"="MainConcept Stream Parser"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\DirectShow\PreferredFilters\ VideoCodec]
"CLSID"="{25AD5740-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}"
"Description"="\"MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder\""

So the choices in my program are going into the registry correctly but the graph is wrong. What am I missing here?

Last edited by mchahn : 03-05-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #55
ggieseke

OK, I see what's happening. You didn't specify your version of Desktop but I'm assuming 2.7 because the MainConcept Stream Parser is new to that version. The (Adobe2) codecs aren't from Desktop - they must be from some other program like Adobe Premiere Elements.

Sorry for the lack of an Apply button in the Preferred DirectShow Filters dialog. If you don't get an error message when you click OK you can assume that the registry changes were written successfully, and the next time you open the dialog your choices will already be selected.

The "Preferred" choices aren't "Guaranteed" choices. The TiVo DirectShow Source Filter will try to use them, but if they don't work out it will keep trying to build the graph anyway. In TDCM, if a filter in the graph matches your preferred selections the name of the filter will be in red text instead of black.

I tried to use the MainConcept Stream Parser as a demuxer in 2.7 and got the same results you did. It didn't like my choice and used the MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer instead.

For what it's worth, the defaults for playing a standard .TiVo file with Desktop Plus 2.7 and no other software or codecs is:
-MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer, CLSID={136DCBF5-3874-4B70-AE3E-15997D6334F7}
-MainConcept Layer II Audio Decoder, CLSID={2F75E451-A88C-4939-BFE5-D92D48C102F2}
-MainConcept MPEG-2 Video Decoder, CLSID={BC4EB321-771F-4E9F-AF67-37C631ECA106}

For older versions of Desktop Plus the default graph is the same except that the audio filter is:
-MainConcept Audio Decoder, CLSID={F6C4C97D-FBFF-433F-B099-B96A12D32391}

Using the colors from the TiVo logo in the graph was mostly for grins, but it has a purpose.
T Red text indicates that the filter was chosen because you set it as the preferred filter.
i The green background indicates the input file.
V The orange background indicates DirectShow filters that are processing the stream.
o The purple background indicates the output devices.

Glad you got it working.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #56
mchahn

Quote:
OK, I see what's happening. You didn't specify your version of Desktop but I'm assuming 2.7 because the MainConcept Stream Parser is new to that version. The (Adobe2) codecs aren't from Desktop - they must be from some other program like Adobe Premiere Elements.

Sorry for the lack of an Apply button in the Preferred DirectShow Filters dialog. If you don't get an error message when you click OK you can assume that the registry changes were written successfully, and the next time you open the dialog your choices will already be selected.

The "Preferred" choices aren't "Guaranteed" choices. The TiVo DirectShow Source Filter will try to use them, but if they don't work out it will keep trying to build the graph anyway. In TDCM, if a filter in the graph matches your preferred selections the name of the filter will be in red text instead of black.

I tried to use the MainConcept Stream Parser as a demuxer in 2.7 and got the same results you did. It didn't like my choice and used the MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer instead.

For what it's worth, the defaults for playing a standard .TiVo file with Desktop Plus 2.7 and no other software or codecs is:
-MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer, CLSID={136DCBF5-3874-4B70-AE3E-15997D6334F7}
-MainConcept Layer II Audio Decoder, CLSID={2F75E451-A88C-4939-BFE5-D92D48C102F2}
-MainConcept MPEG-2 Video Decoder, CLSID={BC4EB321-771F-4E9F-AF67-37C631ECA106}

For older versions of Desktop Plus the default graph is the same except that the audio filter is:
-MainConcept Audio Decoder, CLSID={F6C4C97D-FBFF-433F-B099-B96A12D32391}

Using the colors from the TiVo logo in the graph was mostly for grins, but it has a purpose.
T Red text indicates that the filter was chosen because you set it as the preferred filter.
i The green background indicates the input file.
V The orange background indicates DirectShow filters that are processing the stream.
o The purple background indicates the output devices.

Glad you got it working.
Thanks much. If it weren't for you I'd still be battling this.

I don't deserve to criticize but I think you are a bit guilty of thinking your users are as sharp as you are. I didn't go back and look at the old graph, but from what you said there was an indication something was wrong hidden in the coloring. Maybe you could have a button (dunce cap?) that changes it to say things like "This driver does not match your choice!".

Don't you hate it when people bitch about software you do for them and don't charge for?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #57
ggieseke

Nah, I did it for the fun of seeing if I could come up with something useful since I was seeing so many codec issues, and out of sheer boredom due to serious underemployment.

I freely admit that the UI could be better. I did write a much more informative help file complete with screen snapshots, but it exceeded the upload size limitations on this site. If it helps, Dan203 (one of the VideoReDo developers that I really respect) thought it was crap too. Despite that he's the moderator that made it a 'sticky'.

Now on to turning almost 200 "Good Eats" episodes into DVDs.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #58
haragsdale

Help with audio (dialogue issue)?

Many moons ago, I somehow broke my ability to watch shows on my laptop with TiVoToGo. The video was so jumpy that it was unwatchable. TDCM fixed that ... ahhhhh ... and thanks very much! (I found TDCM after I upgraded to TiVo Desktop 2.7, hoping that would be the fix; I do have Plus.) For a while, all was wonderful, but recently I am having an audio problem. The sound is clear and loud enough for the music soundtrack and even for announcements between shows ("stay tuned for blah blah" could not be any clearer), but the dialogue of the actual show is so quiet that I can barely hear it; it's really unintelligible if any soundtrack is playing at the same time. I am using the MainConcept settings in TDCM as noted a few posts above, but I have tried many other combinations, and it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
haragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:00 AM   #59
ggieseke

If you click File - Preferences in Desktop there's an Audio Boost tab. Changing the setting there may help.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #60
jtdamomma

I'm having problems with WMP11 on Vista playing any of my recordings on my tivo desktop plus. It was fine until yesterday. I don't know what happened. I figured it was a codec, and WMP even said I was missing a codec or had a damaged one. I downloaded your codec pack, but am oblivious on how to run it! I extracted it, but after that, I'm at a loss as to what to do. The help menu says help isn't supported anymore (generic message). Can you provide a step-by step for me, since I'm not pc savvy?!

I'm also getting an error about "Transfer server wrong version" after I tried a repair through the add-remove programs, thinking I would be able to fix it that way. But, all I did was make it worse. Now, I can't even open the tivo desktop. Can I uninstall it and reinstall it and use the same media key?
HELP!
Cassie
jtdamomma is offline   Reply With Quote