TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #241
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25 View Post
Thanks. That fixed the freezing before getting the list of movies. I was able to see all my movies in the folder but go some freezing when trying to 2 of the 3 I tried to play. Here is the log.

uri: file:/Users/Movies/The%20Nightmare%20Before%20Christmas.mp4v.m4v, Container: mp4, Duration: 5398.058 seconds
Video: h264 960x540 29.97 fps
PixAspect: 1.0, Aspect: 1.7777778
Audio: aac 48000HZ 2 channels
com.tivo.hme.sdk.HmeException: flush failed: Broken pipe
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Application.flush(Application.java:545)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.HmeObject.flush(HmeObject.java:457)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Resource.finalize(Resource.java:168)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.invokeFinalizeMethod(Native Method)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.runFinalizer(Finalizer.java:83)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.access$100(Finalizer.java:14)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerThread.run(Finalizer.java:1 60)
Sun 2009/02/08 10:46:39.072| |Finalizer|Listener|
Sun 2009/02/08 10:46:39.073| |Finalizer|Factory|HME receiver disconnected
I'm not sure about the crash.. I did notice your file is named "name.mp4.m4v" though, which is interesting. You may want to fix that to be just .m4v . (that won't fix the bug you're seeing, but you probably want to fix it anyways).

To fix the problem, try choosing a different quality streaming setting when you select the film and tell me if it works?

(basically, many .m4vs are unplayable by the tivo as they are, but streambaby thinks they are valid and lets them through. You'll need to tell it to transcode them anyways by selecting a quality setting other than 'same').
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #242
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74 View Post
Another data point. My Tivo froze after trying to open a folder that had MP4s in it (Science Friday Video podcasts). Had to unplug it.

No biggie, but I thought you should know. I was using 1.0.1
might be worth seeing if that issue is fixed in the beta (under the downloads tab)?

Quote:
In any event, wonderful application! Is there a PayPal donation link somewhere? I'd like to contribute/reward/support such a brilliant, useful, and fun program!
the gui (pyTivoX) I'm coding for free, so no donations, but thanks. If you like the underlying projects, you may want to donate to the pyTivo project or the streambaby project. There are links to both on the pyTivoX page at http://pytivox.googlecode.com/

Old 02-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #243
kas25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
I'm not sure about the crash.. I did notice your file is named "name.mp4.m4v" though, which is interesting. You may want to fix that to be just .m4v . (that won't fix the bug you're seeing, but you probably want to fix it anyways).

To fix the problem, try choosing a different quality streaming setting when you select the film and tell me if it works?

(basically, many .m4vs are unplayable by the tivo as they are, but streambaby thinks they are valid and lets them through. You'll need to tell it to transcode them anyways by selecting a quality setting other than 'same').
I just tried a bunch more files and it really works great. One suggestion is to block any files, if possible, that you know Tivo won't play as I just tried a file that I purchased on Itunes and it caused a crash. It looks like the only way to get things going after such a crash is to restart pytivox from my Mac? Thanks again for all the help and great program!!
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #244
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25 View Post
I just tried a bunch more files and it really works great. One suggestion is to block any files, if possible, that you know Tivo won't play as I just tried a file that I purchased on Itunes and it caused a crash. It looks like the only way to get things going after such a crash is to restart pytivox from my Mac? Thanks again for all the help and great program!!
Is it pyTivo or streambaby that's causing the crash? Can you forward me the contents of /tmp/pyTivoX.log and /tmp/pyTivoX-SB.log ?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #245
TiVoEvan74

mp4, Science Friday Video podcast issue solved w/o a glitch with the beta! Fantastic!

How wonderful that you contribute such skilled labor to the community. It's much appreciated. So often people seek only to monetize their talent (deservedly so, for sure, given the effort involved), so seeing such a free, public giveback is really welcomed!

Now, as to contributing, the home page for the PyTivo project doesn't seem to have any donation links on it! "How you can help" is about writing documentation, plugging the project, developing for it, etc., but not about donations.

Perhaps I've overlooked a link! I'd like to offer something to the effort that way.

By the way, I did find this blog overview of PyTivo that describes it nicely. http://www.giveusoneminute.com/enhan...rt-ii-pytivox/
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #246
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

If you really want to donate, one of the pyTivo developers has a link in his sig.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #247
stevencombs

Thanks TiVoEvan 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74 View Post
By the way, I did find this blog overview of PyTivo that describes it nicely.
I'm the writer of this blog post and I was pleased to find that someone found us! I hope our post is of service to this wonderful project. Its a small way for me to give back.
----------
Dr. Steven B. Combs
:: Give Us One Minute (GUOM)
:: giveusoneminute[dot]com
stevencombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #248
Yoav

1.1b15 up. You will need to hit 'apply' to generate the new config file (or remove the lines with use.title and sort.filename manually.).
Latest streambaby (r80) included, as well as ffmpeg.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 AM   #249
jannlinder

Yoav,

Any chance on giving us (in the beta) a place to enter our own additions/changes to the StreamBaby .ini file?

Really looking forward to that!

Thx

Jann
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #250
NA9D

Quote:
1.1b15 up. You will need to hit 'apply' to generate the new config file (or remove the lines with use.title and sort.filename manually.).
Latest streambaby (r80) included, as well as ffmpeg.
I assume that even though you are running a "b" version (ie: 1.1b10) that pyTivo still doesn't check for Beta builds. There's not a setting that I see to do that like in iTivo.
NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #251
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
I assume that even though you are running a "b" version (ie: 1.1b10) that pyTivo still doesn't check for Beta builds. There's not a setting that I see to do that like in iTivo.
As of (I think b12) if you download a beta it will check for future beta builds.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #252
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
Yoav,
Any chance on giving us (in the beta) a place to enter our own additions/changes to the StreamBaby .ini file?
Nope. (ok that was the short versoion).

The long version is: This gui tool is intended to be a simple front-end. If you know enough
to edit files, then you should be able to manually edit the streambaby.ini, and stop relying on the
gui tool's generation of that file.

I do not intend to add support for partial control of the streambaby.ini file in the gui, as that will open the
door to conflicts with settings, and problems that I just don't want to have to deal with. Right now
I just say "hit apply" and I know what should be in the file. If you choose to change that, you KNOW
what you're doing. you KNOW it's unsupported, and if things break, you know you're gonna have to
figure out what's wrong (or hit 'apply' and lose your changes). It also means you are now responsible
for figuring out if you need to make changes to the file with new releases of streambaby.

Last edited by Yoav : 02-11-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #253
NA9D

Feature Request:

Can we select which folders to use with pyTivo and which for Streambaby? Right now it's all or nothing...
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #254
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
Feature Request:

Can we select which folders to use with pyTivo and which for Streambaby? Right now it's all or nothing...
(already there)..
Instead of using "video" as the "Type", use "video:stream" or "videoytivo"

Last edited by Yoav : 02-11-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #255
NA9D

Quote:
(already there)..
Instead of using "video" as the "Type", use "video:stream" or "videoytivo"
Cool! Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #256
jannlinder

Quote:
Nope. (ok that was the short versoion).

The long version is: This gui tool is intended to be a simple front-end. If you know enough
to edit files, then you should be able to manually edit the streambaby.ini, and stop relying on the
gui tool's generation of that file.

I do not intend to add support for partial control of the streambaby.ini file in the gui, as that will open the
door to conflicts with settings, and problems that I just don't want to have to deal with. Right now
I just say "hit apply" and I know what should be in the file. If you choose to change that, you KNOW
what you're doing. you KNOW it's unsupported, and if things break, you know you're gonna have to
figure out what's wrong (or hit 'apply' and lose your changes). It also means you are now responsible
for figuring out if you need to make changes to the file with new releases of streambaby.
The only issue is that I cannot get streambaby to run on OS X without using pyTivoX

It complains about other things about no native FFMPEG.

I would love if PyTivoX simply did not change the ini file between runs. Then I could just alter the file in /Application Support/ and be done.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #257
gilbreen

Yoav,

Thanks again for a great program. A minor request and if not able to do, no big deal but it would be great to be able to rearrange the list in the Shared Directories by dragging and dropping the names to its new place. Not sure if I am describing it right, but just looking for a way or suggestion to rearrange the order without having to delete and re-add the names. Again, not a huge deal if not easy to implement since inputting the directories isn't terribly laborious.
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #258
matelot

Question on PyTivoX v1.0.1

Installed on my machine but I don't see Pytivo or Streambaby checkbox on the main screen. Do I have the right version?
Got it working flawlessly first time and now it stopped working. I can see the file name on Tivo but when I click on it, nothing happens. Any pointer?

Great program. That's the reason I got Tivo so I can stream my movies on my computer.

Thanks for all your hard work,
Mat
matelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #259
Yoav

Quote:
I would love if PyTivoX simply did not change the ini file between runs. Then I could just alter the file in /Application Support/ and be done.
Your wish is my command! poof! done!

pyTivoX never changes the ini file between invocations. The only time it ever changes the ini files is when you hit the 'apply' button.

So just don't hit the 'apply' button. Upgrading will not change the .ini file, nor will 'exit' or 'start'.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #260
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by matelot View Post
Installed on my machine but I don't see Pytivo or Streambaby checkbox on the main screen. Do I have the right version?
Got it working flawlessly first time and now it stopped working. I can see the file name on Tivo but when I click on it, nothing happens. Any pointer?

Great program. That's the reason I got Tivo so I can stream my movies on my computer.

Mat
The streambaby/pytivo checkboxes are only in the beta right now. I haven't released the beta as the main program since streambaby is still being actively developed, and I want it to reach a 'stable' point before I unleash it... If you're happy to help test though, download and install the beta instead.

As for it stopping working, I don't have enough context to figure out what happened. Does exitting and re-starting help? We can look at the logs, but I'd suggest you install the beta first...

Old 02-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #261
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by matelot View Post

Mat
You need to use the beta release to see those -- http://code.google.com/p/pytivox/downloads/list

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #262
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbreen View Post
Yoav,

Thanks again for a great program. A minor request and if not able to do, no big deal but it would be great to be able to rearrange the list in the Shared Directories by dragging and dropping the names to its new place. Not sure if I am describing it right, but just looking for a way or suggestion to rearrange the order without having to delete and re-add the names. Again, not a huge deal if not easy to implement since inputting the directories isn't terribly laborious.
It's doable, but would take a bit of work... althoug I'm curious: why does the ordering matter?

(technical babble: Basically the table is provided using apple's NSTable data structure. Unfortunately, NSTables do not support 'drag re-arranging'. And apple doesn't provide any class that supports it. So I could either write code than handles dragging within the table (pain in the butt) or look for someone who implemented a table class with drag re-arrange support...)

Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #263
matelot

Let me try downloading the beta version and I will let you know if I have any problem with the app.
matelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #264
gilbreen

Quote:
It's doable, but would take a bit of work... althoug I'm curious: why does the ordering matter?

(technical babble: Basically the table is provided using apple's NSTable data structure. Unfortunately, NSTables do not support 'drag re-arranging'. And apple doesn't provide any class that supports it. So I could either write code than handles dragging within the table (pain in the butt) or look for someone who implemented a table class with drag re-arrange support...)
The ordering doesn't really matter - probably my OCD manifesting itself. Was more curious if there was a way to rearrange but like I said, it really isn't a big deal to rearrange if needed by just deleting and re-adding the items.

Not that you will, but don't lose any sleep over it. I am really happy to have the program as is.

Thanks as always for your rapid responses!
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #265
atlas723

Yoav, first off, thank you so much for all your hard work, patience and diligence in responding to everyone's questions. You've developed an incredible program.

Now enough with the praise. I've been using pyTivoX for about a month now, moving from 1.0.1 through the betas and have had intermittent luck getting anything to show up in my "Now Playing..." screen. It took quite a few clicks of the "Apply" button, but it finally worked. Then I moved from hard wired network connection to wireless and lost the ability to see the files in "Now Playing....". Thinking that it was due to wireless signal strength, I messed around moving my router, but to no avail. Then I saw your recent betas, and ever since I've been able to get streambaby to show up in the "Music, Photos, Showcases" and play without any issues. That means I'm able to communicate with my Tivo just fine, stream movies and I should count my blessings. But I still can't get the Classic pyTivo to work. Now to troubleshoot, I've restarted my Tivo and computer numerous times, uninstalled and reinstalled pyTivoX 5 times, hit "Apply" more times than I care to admit, but nothing has worked. I'd be happy to post/dump any log you'd care to review.

Thanks in advance for any help.
atlas723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #266
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas723 View Post
I'd be happy to post/dump any log you'd care to review.
So, can you open a Terminal.app and run
Code:
ifconfig -a; route get default
and include the output? Also, is there anything interesting in /tmp/pyTivoX.log ?

Sounds like your tivo is not having much success finding pyTivo... Lets see if we can figure out why...

Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #267
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Beta 19 is up. What's new?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #268
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
Beta 19 is up. What's new?
it's back to being 10.5 only, and got the svn latest of streambaby/ffmpeg/x264/lame (you'd need to find out from the ffmpeg folks what changed.. they seem to check in changes daily

Old 02-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #269
jannlinder

Quote:
it's back to being 10.5 only, and got the svn latest of streambaby/ffmpeg/x264/lame (you'd need to find out from the ffmpeg folks what changed.. they seem to check in changes daily
Just wondering (and it does *not* affect me cos i do have 10.5) but what made you go to 10.5 only?

Was it the interface GUI or was it a spec in the ffmpeg/x264/lame compilations?

J
Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #270
Yoav

Quote:
Just wondering (and it does *not* affect me cos i do have 10.5) but what made you go to 10.5 only?

Was it the interface GUI or was it a spec in the ffmpeg/x264/lame compilations?

J
10.5 comes with python 2.5, which pyTivo depends on. I don't really want to have to guide people through installing python, so it's 10.5-only. Additionally, the auto-launch code is a 10.5 method (10.4 did it differently).