Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #361
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmith View Post
duh, it worked for me too and so does another local area code. something seems to be going right and OMG my turbonet card had simply come loose and is working now (i had jimmied it a bit last time which probably unseated it instead of seating it). it's all good from my end!
Glad to hear you got your problem resolved.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #362
bittmann

Hmmm---interesting. I made a short script that repeatedly did a GET against the URL that our TiVos are posting logs to. The webserver(s) that serve that URL will reply with "Done." to a GET. I never had any trouble repeatably "GETing" that url during my last failed transfer, so it sure looks like it's not a routing issue or a network-weirdness issue. If I had to guess (and I do), it LOOKS like the webserver's mlog.cgi is falling over. I'd give quite a bit to be able to poke around in that server farm's /var/log/httpd directory and see what the error logs are saying.

BittMann

Update: And finally, the last transfer went successfully:

Quote:
Feb 05 20:37:26 (none) comm[129]: CallService: Finishing err 0
Feb 05 20:37:26 (none) comm[129]: CommUtil: connection to host 204.176.49.2, port 80, err 0x0
Feb 05 20:37:26 (none) comm[129]: Uploading HTTP Header for modLog of /var/log/svclog: POST /tivo-service/mlog.cgi HTTP/1.0^M Content-Length: 1822^M ^M
Feb 05 20:37:27 (none) comm[129]: read HTTP Header: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 02:37:26 GMT^M Server: Apache^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/plain
Feb 05 20:37:27 (none) comm[129]: SvcLogRqst::verify: enter

Last edited by bittmann : 02-05-2009 at 08:39 PM.
bittmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #363
brendag4

Joey...

Quote:
dialing into an 818 dial in number did the trick for me (818 450 1705 which i think is burbank). maybe some of the others having trouble could try.
Ok now we know it is possible to get out of Guided Setup without pulling the drive. (Unless it only became possible since they have been working on it.)

Not sure if I mentioned it here.. but I developed problems with the network again. Then I realized that the router had become partially unplugged. I don't think that was the original problem though.. I think that was only after I pulled the drive.

Brenda
brendag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #364
brendag4

Joey...

Quote:
duh, it worked for me too and so does another local area code. something seems to be going right and OMG my turbonet card had simply come loose and is working now (i had jimmied it a bit last time which probably unseated it instead of seating it). it's all good from my end!
Glad it is working for you!

interesting that both of us were stuck in Guided Setup without being able to telnet and the fix for the telnet was simply a connection issue. (My router was partially unplugged and your TurboNet was coming loose.)

So the moral is... just because (whatever) sort of works doesn't mean its connected properly.. it might be coming loose.

Brenda
Old 02-06-2009, 01:21 AM   #365
brendag4

calling the news

Maybe we should call or write to our local news channels and let them know of our issue. It is not fair for people to be being told, "It's your old machine" when everyone at Tivo Support should be aware of this issue. People could throw a perfectly good Tivo in the garbage due to the response of Support.

If we call the news, I don't think we should say.. "They are just trying to get rid of Series 1 users" type stuff. Let the news programs do their own investigation of it. (Well if we said the "they just want to be rid of us" stuff.. I guess the news people would act faster because it would be more exciting.. but doesn't seem right to me.)

If this was reported on the news, at least then the average consumer could be made aware that they are not alone with their problem.

BrendaG4

Last edited by brendag4 : 02-06-2009 at 01:23 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-06-2009, 03:42 AM   #366
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
And what more would you like TiVo to do about this than they are now?

Jerry has already said they're trying to gather as much detailed info on this as possible to find out what's wrong.

I mean, yeah, it stinks, but at the same time it's not like they're not doing anything. That fact of the matter is that the CSR who tried to say "Your bix is old, get a new one" was out of line and higher ups at TiVo aren't taking that tone.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #367
data_raider

Tried a different area code and the test call went ok but still got the same call interrupted error. Tried my local numbers again but still get call interrupted on downloading. Sent my TSN to TivoJerry with all info so will wait and see. In the meantime I will just keep trying. Glad to see others have had their issues resolved.
data_raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #368
joeysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_raider View Post
Tried a different area code and the test call went ok but still got the same call interrupted error. Tried my local numbers again but still get call interrupted on downloading. Sent my TSN to TivoJerry with all info so will wait and see. In the meantime I will just keep trying. Glad to see others have had their issues resolved.
did you try the areacodes reported as working? i realize that some may have long distance constraints but the localization theory seems to prove out...
joeysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #369
data_raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmith View Post
did you try the areacodes reported as working? i realize that some may have long distance constraints but the localization theory seems to prove out...
Yes, I tried the Phoenix phone number. Got the numbers and did a test call which worked ok. Did a call now and got to the downloading stage and about 5 min later got call interrupted. I am going to put an external modem on this weekend and see if it helps, but do not really think that it is the modem.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #370
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_raider View Post
Yes, I tried the Phoenix phone number. Got the numbers and did a test call which worked ok. Did a call now and got to the downloading stage and about 5 min later got call interrupted.
Did you choose the 602 605-1880 number? That is the only one I have used recently and is the one that works for me.

This continues to baffle me as the problem just seems so random; as I've mentioned earlier I don't have the technical expertise a lot of you guys and ladies have so I'm clueless.

I just know my box in the 602 area code is working near perfection now. I have had a single failure since it went on that run and that may have been completely unrelated to the problem we have been dealing with. Worked fine again this am and all my data is up to date.

Good luck to all; just hang in there as they are obviously testing a fix or possibly rolling it out in different areas at a time.

I guess... But like I mentioned, I'm clueless.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #371
data_raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mec1991 View Post
Did you choose the 602 605-1880 number? That is the only one I have used recently and is the one that works for me.

Yes, that is the number that I used. I am going to try it again tonight and also the CA numbers. Guess I will be babysitting the Tivo this weekend so I can get my program data. Glad yours is now working.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #372
joeysmith

on a side note, i got a real appreciation for the Tivo S1. i have a dish dvr which is a tivo wannabe on sterods. good functionality but i miss the seamless tivo UI. i had never hacked into my tivo save for installing an instantcaked drive and installing a turbonet adapter (bundled it off for my kid to use while away in college). with this incident i got to telnet / ftp and TTY into the box. i further discovered that tivoweb is already on the image so i can control it remotely - for a 10 yr old box, not bad at all!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #373
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

While I take erniebert up on his offer, please continue to send your TSNs. Rest assured that I'm adding your info to my tracking doc even if you don't hear from me.

It would save me some time if those of you connecting via phone answer the following questions, as some of these may not be related:

What is the error message(s) you're seeing?
Are you using VOIP, magicjack, or any other digital phone service?
Do you have DSL? <make sure you have a filter, try another, disconnect all others for testing>
Have you bypassed any splitters, tried a new cord and wall jack?
Have you tried to connect to any other local numbers?

If you could take a moment to dial the number exactly as displayed on your DVR, please tell me if the call connects and you hear a handshake. <there's always the possibility that the dialing format requirements have changed in your area and you now need to dial 10 or 11 digits>

Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #374
BDRover

Just sent my TSN and the answers to those questions to you, TivoJerry.

I'll just add that my symptoms are exactly as described by others in this thread (e.g., problem beginning in December time frame, combination of Service Unavailable and Call Interrupted errors, same issue regardless of local number, Tivo 800 number, or changes to dialing options, etc.).

I was able to successfully complete a call yesterday only by forcing one daily call after another. It went like this:

Call 1: Failed. Call Interrupted. (This was after a successful connection and ~10 minutes of downloading.)
Call 2: Same as Call 1.
Call 3: Failed. Service Unavailable. (This was a few hours later.)
Call 4: Failed. Service Unavailable.
Call 5: Succeeded.

Tivo hasn't successfully completed a call on its own (without me forcing the call) in many weeks. I'm on a standard phone line with a Phillips series 1 dating from September 2000.

Last edited by BDRover : 02-06-2009 at 02:45 PM.
BDRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #375
joeysmith

while i had reported that i had successfully dialed in with local numbers (and remote too) as well as via turbonet, i did not check all the previous numbers I had dialed. out of 4 areacodes i tried calling, one failed. what's interesting was that immediately after the failed dial, i tried turbonet and that failed too with the same symptoms as before. when i telneted into the box i found that it could get to local addresses (within the LAN) but not outside the router(such as the TIVO destination IP). i rebooted the box and that restored connectivity outside the router. it also got me through a forced call via the turbonet.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #376
bittmann

I swapped back to dialup and did another test tonight. Tonight was the night that dialup didn't "just work" for me, but instead fought tooth&nail -- which is good and bad. Bad in that I had to fight with my unit to get a data download, but good in that I had some time to test.

I telneted in to my TiVo from two different consoles. In one, I did a "tail -f" on /var/log/tclient. On the other, I typed in an ntpdate command which bounces a bunch of network activity off of the TiVo servers when it runs.

So, when the logs got to the point where they were hanging:

Quote:
Feb 7 05:38:34 (none) comm[129]: CommUtil: connection to host 204.176.49.2, port 80, err 0x0
Feb 7 05:38:34 (none) comm[129]: Uploading HTTP Header for modLog of /var/log/svclog: POST /tivo-service/mlog.cgi HTTP/1.0^M Content-Length: 2151^M ^M
Feb 7 05:41:30 (none) comm[129]: XferRqst timeout waiting to read
I was able to successfully execute repeated ntpdate commands to TiVo -- which proves that the network *was* up, functioning, and routing from my box to the TiVo network. Snippet follows:

Quote:
bash-2.02# /bin/ntpdate -d 204.176.49.10 204.176.49.11 204.176.49.12
7 Feb 05:40:13 ntpdate[2103]: ntpdate 3-5.93 Fri Apr 5 00:15:50 PST 2002 (1)
transmit(204.176.49.10)
transmit(204.176.49.11)

...bunch of stuff removed for sake of brevity...

7 Feb 05:40:15 ntpdate[2103]: adjust time server 204.176.49.10 offset 0.005379 sec
So...during the time that the transmission was "hanging" (with my TiVo saying "Connecting" and eventually switching to "Failed: Service Unavailable"), the network was up and running. I think this proves that it's not a "dialup" problem, a "router" problem, etc...this pretty much proves that a unit that is successfully connected to the network can have download issues.

Now...I guess the next question is, is my unit the only one with this exact issue? How would we go about determining that?

For the record, my unit is a Philips Series 1, running 3.0.01-1-000.

BittMann
Old 02-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #377
brendag4

Quote:
And what more would you like TiVo to do about this than they are now?

Jerry has already said they're trying to gather as much detailed info on this as possible to find out what's wrong.

I mean, yeah, it stinks, but at the same time it's not like they're not doing anything. That fact of the matter is that the CSR who tried to say "Your bix is old, get a new one" was out of line and higher ups at TiVo aren't taking that tone.
I was not trying to say that Tivo was not working on the issue. I was not trying to say that all Tivo reps are snotty.. I was not even trying to say that any of them are. My message was not referring to anyone.

I do not think it is acceptable that when a user calls support with this issue, they are told, "Your box is defective." it does not matter how nicely they say it.. it is the WRONG answer. Of course it is always possible that the box is defective.. but the caller should ALSO be told that there is an issue going on right now that they might be experiencing. They should be told about the possible fixes that have been found in this thread.

How would you feel if you did not know there was a possibility it was NOT your Tivo.. and you threw your perfectly good Tivo in the garbage because support told you that it was broken?

There is no excuse for support not to be aware of this issue when it has been going on for well over 2 months.

I thought maybe we could get the word out through the media so people would not throw away completly good Tivos, or go around saying.. "Tivo is trying to get rid of us!"

I do not think it is too much to expect that Tivo Support stop telling users that their Tivo is broken when there is a good chance that they have this problem. Since there APPEARS to be no effort to train support, the only option we have is the media.

BrendaG4
Old 02-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #378
brendag4

Bittmann,

Quote:
Now...I guess the next question is, is my unit the only one with this exact issue? How would we go about determining that?

Why do you think that your unit is the only one with the problem? I just think that you are the only one posting the detailed logs. I also have problems where it says connecting for a long time and the stuff that you list. But I don't have broadband or the expertise to prove it like you have.

I also have the same unit and OS as you.

Thanks for the great posts,

BrendaG4
Old 02-07-2009, 02:07 AM   #379
badcrc
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittmann View Post
I was able to successfully execute repeated ntpdate commands to TiVo -- which proves that the network *was* up, functioning, and routing from my box to the TiVo network. Snippet follows:

BittMann
That looks like the best data yet that points to where the problem is. I wish I could tell you mine is doing the exact same thing but I don't have turbonet to try it. I can tell you mine all hang and exhibit the same symptons, so I would assume we're all in the same boat.

Do you or anyone else happen to have some logs from a daily call prior to December 2008? Maybe if we could compare a successful call from November to a failed and successful call now we could see a difference like maybe something tivo changed with the communications.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #380
joeysmith

Quote:
<snip>
So...during the time that the transmission was "hanging" (with my TiVo saying "Connecting" and eventually switching to "Failed: Service Unavailable"), the network was up and running. I think this proves that it's not a "dialup" problem, a "router" problem, etc...this pretty much proves that a unit that is successfully connected to the network can have download issues.

BittMann
i don't think it's a dialup or network problem either. maybe it's something in the backend that has changed. maybe the server farm got moved to a bunch of vmware instances, who knows? TIVO will never tell us the dirty details. to me it seems to be network tuning issues at the backend as shown by timeouts and out of sync acks / retry you posted before. There's a good article over at SUN describing TCP downloads over slow links (complete with fancy, geeky pictures):

http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0304/817-5773.pdf

this would apply to dialup as well, since the isp has to traverse the WAN to get to the TIVO servers. my turbonet connection seems to be working now, but has failed once after a failed dialup. looked like the routing tables got messed up - a reboot cleared that issue.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #381
bittmann

Quote:
I guess we could determine it this way:

For anyone with telnet access into their TiVo ... if, while the status is "connecting" for an extended period of time, they are able to execute the ntpdate command I listed earlier and it actually succeeds, then the network is up and it isn't their fault.

If they can't ntpdate, it's not TiVo's fault.

Maybe.

/bin/ntpdate -d 204.176.49.10 204.176.49.11 204.176.49.12

BittMann
Old 02-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #382
urwathrtz
Death Metal Dad

I got it to work with the Burbank, CA number 1-818-450-1795. I'll dial the local 845 area code numbers today to see if any work. Haven't checked them yet.
urwathrtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #383
dlee0708

Have a Ethereal (Wireshark) capture of Service Unavailable

I finally got with my mom and had her hook up my ethernet hub and got a trace of Service Unavailable failure. I have PM TivoJerry about it.

It sends a POST of the log file and fails to get the 2nd packet to the Tivo Server.

1. The first packet has the content-length field with the first packet being 63 bytes (the not sending the content-length field problem of several years ago must have been fixed).

2. Then the Tivo sends the next 1460 bytes

3. A response from the server is received for the first 63 bytes (ack 64)

4. The Tivo doesn't see the ack for the next 1460 bytes, so it resends the 1460 bytes again

5. Still no response and this happens for about 5 minutes (resends it 10 times with no response from the Server).

6. The Server sends a Internel Server Error back to the Tivo and the Ack it sends with it indicates it never has received any bytes after byte 63 (Ack 64).

I am positive everyone is going to jump on its a Tivo Server problem because it says a Server Internel Error, but the fact that the HTTP error coming back from the server has an Ack of 64 indicates the TCP/IP stack on the operating system did not receive the 2nd packet (the 1460 bytes). If its a problem at the Server, its not an application/process that TivoInc has that is the problem, but a problem in the Operating System Tcp/ip stack on the Tivo Server (which I assume is Linux). I find this highly unlikely. One thing I do notice is that the HTTP POST sent to the Tivo Server is HTTP/1.0. All the browsers now use HTTP/1.1. I don't know enough about the protocol differences to know what all the differences are, but I would think that would be something to look at and I would bet if the Tivo would start using HTTP/1.1 the problem would go away.

Here is the dump:

No. Time Source Destination Protocol Info
25 2009-02-06 20:18:45.718430 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 TCP 1157 > http [SYN] Seq=0 Ack=0 Win=512 Len=0 MSS=1460

Frame 25 (60 bytes on wire, 60 bytes captured)
Ethernet II, Src: 00:0b:ad:32:12:1f, Dst: 00:1e:2a:08:cd:98
Internet Protocol, Src Addr: 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4), Dst Addr: 204.176.49.2 (204.176.49.2)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 1157 (1157), Dst Port: http (80), Seq: 0, Ack: 0, Len: 0

26 2009-02-06 20:18:45.801446 204.176.49.2 192.168.1.4 TCP [TCP ZeroWindow] http > 1157 [SYN, ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1 Win=0 Len=0

Frame 26 (60 bytes on wire, 60 bytes captured)
Ethernet II, Src: 00:1e:2a:08:cd:98, Dst: 00:0b:ad:32:12:1f
Internet Protocol, Src Addr: 204.176.49.2 (204.176.49.2), Dst Addr: 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: http (80), Dst Port: 1157 (1157), Seq: 0, Ack: 1, Len: 0

27 2009-02-06 20:18:45.801866 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 TCP 1157 > http [ACK] Seq=1 Ack=1 Win=1460 Len=0

Frame 27 (60 bytes on wire, 60 bytes captured)
Internet Protocol, Src Addr: 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4), Dst Addr: 204.176.49.2 (204.176.49.2)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 1157 (1157), Dst Port: http (80), Seq: 1, Ack: 1, Len: 0

28 2009-02-06 20:18:45.883590 204.176.49.2 192.168.1.4 TCP [TCP Window Update] http > 1157 [ACK] Seq=1 Ack=1 Win=4236 Len=0

Frame 28 (60 bytes on wire, 60 bytes captured)
Internet Protocol, Src Addr: 204.176.49.2 (204.176.49.2), Dst Addr: 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: http (80), Dst Port: 1157 (1157), Seq: 1, Ack: 1, Len: 0

29 2009-02-06 20:18:45.941223 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP POST /tivo-service/mlog.cgi HTTP/1.0

Frame 29 (117 bytes on wire, 117 bytes captured)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 1157 (1157), Dst Port: http (80), Seq: 1, Ack: 1, Len: 63
Hypertext Transfer Protocol

30 2009-02-06 20:18:45.997559 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 30 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 1157 (1157), Dst Port: http (80), Seq: 64, Ack: 1, Len: 1460

31 2009-02-06 20:18:46.124868 204.176.49.2 192.168.1.4 TCP http > 1157 [ACK] Seq=1 Ack=64 Win=4299 Len=0

Frame 31 (60 bytes on wire, 60 bytes captured)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: http (80), Dst Port: 1157 (1157), Seq: 1, Ack: 64, Len: 0

32 2009-02-06 20:18:46.127006 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 32 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 1157 (1157), Dst Port: http (80), Seq: 1524, Ack: 1, Len: 1460

33 2009-02-06 20:18:46.579883 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 33 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 1157 (1157), Dst Port: http (80), Seq: 64, Ack: 1, Len: 1460

34 2009-02-06 20:18:47.499395 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 34 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)

35 2009-02-06 20:18:49.339722 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 35 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)

36 2009-02-06 20:18:51.544298 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.4 UDP Source port: 4457 Destination port: 40116

Frame 36 (174 bytes on wire, 174 bytes captured)
Internet Protocol, Src Addr: 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1), Dst Addr: 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4)
User Datagram Protocol, Src Port: 4457 (4457), Dst Port: 40116 (40116)
Data (132 bytes)

0000 54 4d 44 50 01 00 00 11 00 78 00 00 00 02 00 74 TMDP.....x.....t
0010 54 4d 53 53 5f 54 45 53 54 5f 4e 4f 44 45 00 00 TMSS_TEST_NODE..
0020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
0030 30 30 31 45 32 41 30 38 43 44 39 38 38 38 45 45 001E2A08CD9888EE
0040 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
0050 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
0060 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
0070 ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 ff ff ff ff ................
0080 ff ff ff ff ....

37 2009-02-06 20:18:51.544721 192.168.1.4 192.168.1.1 ICMP Destination unreachable

Frame 37 (202 bytes on wire, 202 bytes captured)
Internet Protocol, Src Addr: 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4), Dst Addr: 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)
Internet Control Message Protocol

38 2009-02-06 20:18:53.019933 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 38 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)

39 2009-02-06 20:19:00.380300 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 39 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)

40 2009-02-06 20:19:15.101513 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 40 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)

41 2009-02-06 20:19:44.543057 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 41 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)

42 2009-02-06 20:20:43.427037 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 42 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)

43 2009-02-06 20:22:41.194548 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 HTTP Continuation

Frame 43 (1514 bytes on wire, 1514 bytes captured)

44 2009-02-06 20:23:45.952129 204.176.49.2 192.168.1.4 HTTP HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error (text/html)

Frame 44 (767 bytes on wire, 767 bytes captured)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: http (80), Dst Port: 1157 (1157), Seq: 1, Ack: 64, Len: 713
Line-based text data: text/html

45 2009-02-06 20:23:45.952548 204.176.49.2 192.168.1.4 TCP http > 1157 [FIN, ACK] Seq=714 Ack=64 Win=4299 Len=0

Frame 45 (60 bytes on wire, 60 bytes captured)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: http (80), Dst Port: 1157 (1157), Seq: 714, Ack: 64, Len: 0

46 2009-02-06 20:23:45.952978 192.168.1.4 204.176.49.2 TCP 1157 > http [ACK] Seq=2984 Ack=715 Win=4380 Len=0

Frame 46 (60 bytes on wire, 60 bytes captured)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 1157 (1157), Dst Port: http (80), Seq: 2984, Ack: 715, Len: 0

47 2009-02-06 20:23:51.303601 204.176.49.2 192.168.1.4 TCP http > 1157 [RST, ACK] Seq=715 Ack=64 Win=4299 Len=0

Frame 47 (60 bytes on wire, 60 bytes captured)
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: http (80), Dst Port: 1157 (1157), Seq: 715, Ack: 64, Len: 0
dlee0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #384
bittmann

Quote:
I am positive everyone is going to jump on its a Tivo Server problem because it says a Server Internel Error, but the fact that the HTTP error coming back from the server has an Ack of 64 indicates the TCP/IP stack on the operating system did not receive the 2nd packet (the 1460 bytes). If its a problem at the Server, its not an application/process that TivoInc has that is the problem, but a problem in the Operating System Tcp/ip stack on the Tivo Server (which I assume is Linux). I find this highly unlikely.
I can see a situation in which an misconfigured netfilter (say, something designed to mitigate a distributed denial-of-service attack by dropping large packets if a traffic threshold has been reached) could make the server behave exactly like we're seeing now. Not that I'm suggesting that this IS what is happening, but if you filter or otherwise prevent end-to-end connections for large packets for "whatever reason", the resulting behavior would look pretty similar to what we're seeing right now.

BittMann
Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #385
dlee0708

Quote:
I can see a situation in which an misconfigured netfilter (say, something designed to mitigate a distributed denial-of-service attack by dropping large packets if a traffic threshold has been reached) could make the server behave exactly like we're seeing now. Not that I'm suggesting that this IS what is happening, but if you filter or otherwise prevent end-to-end connections for large packets for "whatever reason", the resulting behavior would look pretty similar to what we're seeing right now.

BittMann
I just started thinking I wonder if the problem is the first thing out of the Tivo is a http POST. That has got to be pretty unusual and I wonder if there is some transparent proxy/netfilter etc that is causing it to hiccup and not send it on to Tivo. Although it appears that TivoServer is getting the 1st 63 bytes and acks it, so most likely that isn't the problem. Also for grins I had my moms Computer do a HTTP get to the TivoServer before she tried the Daily call (so whatever was between my moms router and the TivoServer would see a GET request before the POST) and that didn't help.

I am really kicking myself for not getting telnet access into my moms Tivo when I installed the TurboNet card so I could delete that dang log file, but I just didn't have time to do that at the time.

Still havent heard from TivoJerry yet (but it hasn't been very long and I don't expect him to be monitoring this every second).

Last edited by dlee0708 : 02-07-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #386
bittmann

Quote:
...I wonder if there is some transparent proxy/netfilter etc that is causing it to hiccup and not send it on to Tivo.
Could be. I run a small development shop, and one of our favorite sayings is "it's a bear when something almost works." (Well, we don't use *quite* those words...)

Nothing is quite so darned hard to troubleshoot than something that works some of the time. And it SEEMS that this is one of those situations.

BittMann
Old 02-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #387
dlee0708

Quote:
Could be. I run a small development shop, and one of our favorite sayings is "it's a bear when something almost works." (Well, we don't use *quite* those words...)

Nothing is quite so darned hard to troubleshoot than something that works some of the time. And it SEEMS that this is one of those situations.

BittMann
Actually, this one seems to be

1. For some it works all the time. My brother has Series 1/Lifetime/Turbonet has never had an issue.

2. For some it never works. My mothers is identical to by brothers (Series 1/Lifetime/Turbonet) except hers has a 80Gig drive. Hers has not got past the connecting stage since Dec 2,2008.

3. Others works if they clear out the log file.

4. Others works if they try it multiple times over and over.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #388
dfeldmanmt

Nightime dialups

I converted my Sony Ser1 to dialing in at 1:15 AM and 4:30 AM (Mtn time as mentioned in my thread 11 post) and have had 5 nights of error free service.

Cheers,

DON
Old 02-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #389
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

One thing everyone should try if they haven't already is to do a cold reboot every time you try and switch between connecting by modem and connecting by network. Just changing settings does not work immediately. You have to unplug it, let it spin down completely, then plug it back in.

Switching from network to modem you have to do this. Changing from modem to network you have to do it. The network connect works best. A turbonet card or cachecard is cheap on ebay since lots of people are finished with the series 1 hardware.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #390
badcrc
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
The network connect works best. A turbonet card or cachecard is cheap on ebay since lots of people are finished with the series 1 hardware.
Who said network connect works best? I believe there's posts in this thread implying it's inconclusive. Also, what ebay are you looking at? I've been checking ebay for two months for cheap turbonet cards and there has only been two available, the cheapest being $46 (not really what I would call cheap, especially since I need 3 of them).