TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2009, 11:23 PM   #211
bedelman
Call me Bob

For what it's worth, I use Dock Dodger to disable dock icons when I don't want them to appear. Of course, if I reinstall the application -- I have to run Dock Dodger on the re-installed application.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #212
gilbreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
That sounds very much like streambaby is crashing (apply restarts it).

If it's still happening post 1.1b9, can you please (before you hit the apply button) send us the result of the following command in Terminal.app:

Code:
 tail -30 /tmp/pyTivoX-SB.log
(that should hopefully be enough to figure out why it crashed...)
Yoav,

The program crashed again this evening. Here is the log as you requested. (I put it up on pastebin.com.)

http://pastebin.com/m6f46f16a

Let me know if you need me to check/test anything else.

Gilbert
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #213
gilbreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedelman View Post
For what it's worth, I use Dock Dodger to disable dock icons when I don't want them to appear. Of course, if I reinstall the application -- I have to run Dock Dodger on the re-installed application.
Thanks Bob - good to know. I was able to fix the issue using Yoav's instructions.

Gilbert
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 AM   #214
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbreen View Post
Yoav,

The program crashed again this evening. Here is the log as you requested. (I put it up on pastebin.com.)

http://pastebin.com/m6f46f16a

Let me know if you need me to check/test anything else.

Gilbert
Bah Sadly there's nothing in the log that seems to indicate a problem. The last message it's printed is about 'pruning the cache'.. with no error..
the jmDNS error is normal and can be ignored.

So at least for now, there's not much I can work with. If you figure out a sequence of steps I can follow to make it crash, I'd love to try it. (as is, I've left mine running for quite a while.. the only issue I've had is my computer going to sleep and so tivo wouldn't see streambaby then).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #215
kearygriffin

Quote:
Bah Sadly there's nothing in the log that seems to indicate a problem. The last message it's printed is about 'pruning the cache'.. with no error..
the jmDNS error is normal and can be ignored.
Is that jmDNS error in the log an OSX related issue? (or rather non-issue, since you say it's normal). I've never seen it before.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #216
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Is that jmDNS error in the log an OSX related issue? (or rather non-issue, since you say it's normal). I've never seen it before.
I never bothered trying to debug it actually, it's always printed for me even though everything ran smoothly
Code:
Exception in thread "JmDNS.SocketListener" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 3 >= 3
        at java.util.Vector.elementAt(Vector.java:432)
        at javax.jmdns.DNSRecord.suppressedBy(Unknown Source)
        at javax.jmdns.DNSOutgoing.addAnswer(Unknown Source)
        at javax.jmdns.JmDNS.handleQuery(Unknown Source)
        at javax.jmdns.JmDNS$SocketListener.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
I guess it might be worth looking into..?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #217
Yoav

Ok, looks like there's a bug in the apple javax.jmdns stuff.
If I download jmdns.jar (1.0) and put it in the classpath, then the error goes away.
I guess I'll do that for the next release...

Last edited by Yoav : 02-01-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #218
Yoav

Ok new version 1.1b10:
detects number of cores and uses ffmpeg -threads {cores} where possible
set up highest quality default with audio=384kbps, video=1080
mdns bug fixed (?)
latest streambaby code
latest build of ffmpeg with i686 optimizations instead of i386
(should work on all G4 -> i386 macs.. please tell me if I broke it).

but reports appreciated.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #219
Goobergirl

At my wit's end!

I'm on a MacPro running latest Leo.

I got it to work a few days ago, set it to download a few things, came home, found it had stopped downloading halfway through three different files, and lost connection to the computer, and I've been struggling to get it working again ever since, no luck.

After finding some tips regarding changing the beacon to the tivo ip, I did so in the .conf file via BBedit. At that point my next problem occurred: the window to use it stopped opening...actually, at that point it stopped opening visibly at all, meaning I could not find it in the doc, via command-tab, or even the force quit window, but the computer kept telling me it was open when I tried to trash it.

I restarted, trashed everything I could identify: the plist, the application support, the application. I restarted, redownloaded, reinstalled, reopened.

Well, the icon showed up in the dock and I could see it via the app switcher, I could even see the menu on the menubar...but no window to work in.

Then I downloaded the beta I saw was uploaded a day ago.

No improvement.

Assuming someone helps me fix THAT problem, my next problem will probably be getting the Tivo and computer talking again...but we'll see.

Thank you for any help you can give.

(As for getting the computer and Tivo talking, I restarted the Tivo, the computer, the router, everything - that's why I finally went into the .conf file. What I saw there was a weird ip, first three parts ok, last part way off.)
Goobergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #220
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobergirl View Post
At my wit's end!
1) Is there a menulet at the top bar (it should look like a tiny tivo-looking icon). If so, pyTivoX is indeed running but was told to 'launch at startup' so it has no dock icon. To quit, just select the tivo button, and choose 'quit'

2) Do you have any sort of 'non-default' network setup? Can I get you to open Terminal.app and run 'ifconfig' there, and copy the output to here?

3) what is your tivo's IP address? Can you run 'ping <tivoip>' in Terminal.app?

4) You can complete 'remove' pyTivoX and then try installing it clean: Quit pyTivoX, delete the 3 locations:
  • /Application/pyTivoX
  • <user>/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX
  • <user>/Library/Preferences/com.yoav.pyTivoX.plist

5) was the fourth part of the IP address that was 'way off' 255? That's a pretty common broadcast address and that's what the beacon should be set to.

It sounds like there's something uniquely 'messed up' though, if your computer can't even see your tivo any longer, that is independent of pyTivoX.. Until your computer and your tivo can talk to each other, no amount of fixing pyTivoX will help

Old 02-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #221
luvmytivo

I'm nominating Yoav for Mac:TiVo MVP. Got a donate button set up yet?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #222
Goobergirl

I agree!

Yoav: Thank you... everything seems to be working now, although I have to say I'm not really clear on why. My whole networking thing is very mysterious to me... I know enough to get myself in trouble, if you follow.

Thanks!
Goobergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #223
Yoav

Ok, new version of pyTivoX (1.1b11) up, with latest streambaby, ffmpeg, and friends.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #224
PacoII

For those that want to permanently remove pyTivoX's dock icon (like me ), there is a fairly simple way to do it:

- quit the app
- Right click on the app and select show package contents
- Open the Contents folder
- you should see a file called info.plist. Open that up in TextEdit or whatever
- inside that file you will see a key-string of value pairs. At the end of the list add the following:

<key>LSUIElement</key>
<string>1</string>

Save your changes. No more dock icon

Quote:

PacoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #225
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoII View Post
For those that want to permanently remove pyTivoX's dock icon (like me ), there is a fairly simple way to do it:

- quit the app
- Right click on the app and select show package contents
- Open the Contents folder
- you should see a file called info.plist. Open that up in TextEdit or whatever
- inside that file you will see a key-string of value pairs. At the end of the list add the following:

<key>LSUIElement</key>
<string>1</string>

Save your changes. No more dock icon

Indeed .

Selecting 'Launch at login' does that, as well as register the program to launch at login.

The problem is that plist file gets overwritten every time you install a new version of pyTivoX (which is why you will need to either de-select/re-select launch at login, or else re-edit that file).

Old 02-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #226
kas25

Sorry for the stupid install question but I added my folders but don't see the "reset" button described on the instructions. I see the little black tivo sign at the top of my toolbar but not sure how to do the restart. Thanks
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #227
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25 View Post
Sorry for the stupid install question but I added my folders but don't see the "reset" button described on the instructions. I see the little black tivo sign at the top of my toolbar but not sure how to do the restart. Thanks
Make sure your in the finder. Then click the little black TiVo and select SHOW CONFIGURATION (or something like that). That's the screen that will have the button. It's in the upper right on the same screen where you added the folders.

Depending on the version, it may say APPLY instead of RESET.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #228
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post

Oops yes. I need to update the instructions. The new versions call that 'Apply'. Thank you for catching it.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #229
kas25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post
Make sure your in the finder. Then click the little black TiVo and select SHOW CONFIGURATION (or something like that). That's the screen that will have the button. It's in the upper right on the same screen where you added the folders.

You are correct, it is APPLY. Downloading files now works like a charm. Thanks. When I go to Showcases and try to open a folder to stream I keep getting frozen on the Please Wait notification. Anyone else have this happen? I have mp4 files in the folder for the most part but the folder won't open up to list the movies to stream.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #230
Yoav

Quote:
You are correct, it is APPLY. Downloading files now works like a charm. Thanks. When I go to Showcases and try to open a folder to stream I keep getting frozen on the Please Wait notification. Anyone else have this happen? I have mp4 files in the folder for the most part but the folder won't open up to list the movies to stream.
Can I get you to open the Finder, Choose from the menu "Go"... "Go to Folder..." and type in "/tmp"
Once there, look for a file named "pyTivoX-SB.log" (this is the log of the streambaby app). And attach it here. Hopefully there is something useful in there.

It sounds like the sorting of files for presenting is somehow getting confused. Keary (who wrote streambaby) might be interested in the log too. But I'm entirely guessing here.. the log should help. Do you have a LOT of files in that folder? Do you have metadata files there too (.txt files?).

Old 02-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #231
bedelman
Call me Bob

Yoav -- on another note, I installed the latest beta today (1.1b12) and I wanted to try out the streaming support. However, I didn't see anything show up in the Music, Photos, & Showcases area on my TiVoHD. I checked pyTivoX-SB.log and found this entry at the end...

Error loading config: /Users/bedelman/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/streambaby.ini

...and when I looked at that directory location there is no streambaby.ini file -- only pyTiVo.conf and Shares.data

Should I be creating that ini file manually -- or should it be created for me?

- Bob

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #232
kas25

Quote:
Can I get you to open the Finder, Choose from the menu "Go"... "Go to Folder..." and type in "/tmp"
Once there, look for a file named "pyTivoX-SB.log" (this is the log of the streambaby app). And attach it here. Hopefully there is something useful in there.

It sounds like the sorting of files for presenting is somehow getting confused. Keary (who wrote streambaby) might be interested in the log too. But I'm entirely guessing here.. the log should help. Do you have a LOT of files in that folder? Do you have metadata files there too (.txt files?).
pyTivoX-SB.log

I just tried it with the folder that has 1 movie (MP4). Here is the log. I hit tivo menu after a few minutes. Thanks for the help.

Sat 2009/02/07 18:35:48.812| |Acceptor|Application|Received event for unknown resource id. Id = 2057, event = 2057.RESOURCE_INFO(complete, {})
Sat 2009/02/07 18:35:48.881| |master|StreamBabyStream$StreamBabyStreamFactory|uri=folder. png
Sat 2009/02/07 18:35:48.893| |master|SelectionScreen|focusOn entry=null
Sat 2009/02/07 18:35:56.741| |Acceptor|SelectionScreen|code=6 rawcode=16778246
Sat 2009/02/07 18:35:56.944| |master|StreamBabyStream$StreamBabyStreamFactory|uri=movie.p ng
Sat 2009/02/07 18:35:56.946| |master|VideoModuleHelper|GetVidInfo: file:/Volumes/LaCie/Stream/Uncle%20Buck.m4v
Sat 2009/02/07 18:35:57.132| |master|FFmpegJavaVideoModule|vidDur:5978931
Sat 2009/02/07 18:35:57.148| |master|FFmpegJavaVideoModule|VideoInfo:
uri: file:/Volumes/LaCie/Stream/Uncle%20Buck.m4v, Container: mp4, Duration: 5978.931 seconds
Video: h264 720x384 23.976023976023978 fps
PixAspect: 1.0, Aspect: 1.875
Audio: aac 48000HZ 2 channels
javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError: Provider net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl not found
at javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory.newInstance(Transform erFactory.java:109)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.BaseMetadataModule.getXsltTr ansformer(BaseMetadataModule.java:61)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.BaseMetadataModule.transform (BaseMetadataModule.java:97)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.StandardMetadataModule.handl eVidMeta(StandardMetadataModule.java:173)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.metadata.StandardMetadataModule.setMe tadata(StandardMetadataModule.java:228)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.modules.VideoModuleHelper.setMetadata (VideoModuleHelper.java:119)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.dir.DirEntry.getMetadata(DirEntry.jav a:229)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.dir.DirEntry.getName(DirEntry.java:80 )
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.dir.DirEntry.toString(DirEntry.java:2 54)
at com.tivo.hme.bananas.BText.refresh(BText.java:179)
at com.tivo.hme.bananas.BText.setValue(BText.java:157)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.SelectionScreen$StandardLi st.createRow(SelectionScreen.java:423)
at com.tivo.hme.bananas.BListPlus.handleCreateRow(BListPlus.jav a:373)
at com.tivo.hme.bananas.BListPlus.getRow(BListPlus.java:364)
at com.tivo.hme.bananas.BList.refresh(BList.java:295)
at com.tivo.hme.bananas.BListPlus.refresh(BListPlus.java:451)
at com.tivo.hme.bananas.BList.touch(BList.java:679)
at com.tivo.hme.bananas.BList.add(BList.java:617)
at com.tivo.hme.bananas.BList.add(BList.java:480)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.SelectionScreen.updateFile List(SelectionScreen.java:157)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.SelectionScreen.tick(Selec tionScreen.java:116)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.util.Ticker.run(Ticker.java:143)
Sat 2009/02/07 18:40:19.871| |Acceptor|Listener|
Sat 2009/02/07 18:40:19.871| |Acceptor|Listener|connection to receiver closed
Sat 2009/02/07 18:40:19.871| |Acceptor|Listener|
Sat 2009/02/07 18:40:19.871| |Acceptor|Factory|HME receiver disconnected
Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #233
Yoav

Quote:
Yoav -- on another note, I installed the latest beta today (1.1b12) and I wanted to try out the streaming support. However, I didn't see anything show up in the Music, Photos, & Showcases area on my TiVoHD. I checked pyTivoX-SB.log and found this entry at the end...

Error loading config: /Users/bedelman/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/streambaby.ini

...and when I looked at that directory location there is no streambaby.ini file -- only pyTiVo.conf and Shares.data

Should I be creating that ini file manually -- or should it be created for me?

- Bob
Hit 'apply' and it will create the file for you.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #234
Yoav

Quote:
pyTivoX-SB.log

I just tried it with the folder that has 1 movie (MP4). Here is the log. I hit tivo menu after a few minutes. Thanks for the help.
Ok well, there's definitely a java error being spit out, and it looks like it's related to being unable to find a java class it needs: TransformerFactoryImpl.

I see a bunch of checkins related to xslt stuff, so it might be fixed in the latest code. Let me build the latest svn code and upload it. *hopefully* it fixes it for you. If not, I'll push this up to keary to look at.

Just a few other simple questions:
you're on MacOS 10.5? Did you change any of the defaults with java?

(it's up as 1.1b13 if you're willing to give it a spin...).

Last edited by Yoav : 02-07-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #235
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Hit 'apply' and it will create the file for you.
Thanks and a big duh! for me.

May I suggest that you swap the position of the Apply and Exit buttons? Most "OK" buttons are on the right side of a dialog and moving the Exit to the left would put it near the close window control (which kinda makes sense to me)

I believe there was some human interface guideline from many years ago in regard to Cancel/OK dialogs where Cancel should preferably be to the left and OK should preferably be on the right. Good old-fashioned right-handed bias I guess.

A little bit of googling found this... OK and Cancel Buttons -- What's the Right Order?

Old 02-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #236
Yoav

Quote:
May I suggest that you swap the position of the Apply and Exit buttons? Most "OK" buttons are on the right side of a dialog and moving the Exit to the left would put it near the close window control (which kinda makes sense to me)

Sounds reasonable. I'm guessing it's gonna confuse people for a bit, but 'meh' .

Try out 1.1b13 (check for updates...) and tell me if it seems reasonable?

important note: You will need to hit 'apply' after running it in order to include the
change explained by moyekj.

Last edited by Yoav : 02-07-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #237
moyekj

Quote:
With the latest streambaby build from SVN I was having this problem too. The solution is to put the following in tivostream.ini:
use.title=false
sort.filename=true
With those settings I think streambaby won't try and parse your video files upfront which is where it seems like it hangs up at times. I already notified Keary of problems I was having and those settings were what he recommended and worked for me.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #238
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
With the latest streambaby build from SVN I was having this problem too. The solution is to put the following in tivostream.ini:
use.title=false
sort.filename=true
With those settings I think streambaby won't try and parse your video files upfront which is where it seems like it hangs up at times. I already notified Keary of problems I was having and those settings were what he recommended and worked for me.
Ok, 1.1b13 now includes that change. You will need to hit 'apply' after starting it to write
out the fixed config file...

Thanks...

Last edited by Yoav : 02-07-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #239
kas25

Quote:
Ok, 1.1b13 now includes that change. You will need to hit 'apply' after starting it to write
out the fixed config file...

Thanks...
Thanks. That fixed the freezing before getting the list of movies. I was able to see all my movies in the folder but go some freezing when trying to 2 of the 3 I tried to play. Here is the log.

uri: file:/Users/Movies/The%20Nightmare%20Before%20Christmas.mp4v.m4v, Container: mp4, Duration: 5398.058 seconds
Video: h264 960x540 29.97 fps
PixAspect: 1.0, Aspect: 1.7777778
Audio: aac 48000HZ 2 channels
com.tivo.hme.sdk.HmeException: flush failed: Broken pipe
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Application.flush(Application.java:545)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.HmeObject.flush(HmeObject.java:457)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Resource.finalize(Resource.java:168)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.invokeFinalizeMethod(Native Method)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.runFinalizer(Finalizer.java:83)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.access$100(Finalizer.java:14)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerThread.run(Finalizer.java:1 60)
Sun 2009/02/08 10:46:39.072| |Finalizer|Listener|
Sun 2009/02/08 10:46:39.073| |Finalizer|Factory|HME receiver disconnected
Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #240
TiVoEvan74

Another data point. My Tivo froze after trying to open a folder that had MP4s in it (Science Friday Video podcasts). Had to unplug it.

No biggie, but I thought you should know. I was using 1.0.1

But I'm not complaining. I'm transferring Cranky Geeks and those Star Trek New Voyages shows and they've been working like a charm. Of course, I haven't checked what type of video files they are... I know one of the shows (which I haven't transferred yet) is .wmv.

In any event, wonderful application! Is there a PayPal donation link somewhere? I'd like to contribute/reward/support such a brilliant, useful, and fun program!
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote