TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Can someone tell me what a "socket" is? "24" NO Spoliers!

They seem to be obsessed with "sockets" on 24. Can someone explain what a socket is and why they are so important to national security.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
MickeS

They are used to control the whatchamacallits, so they are pretty important.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #3
Spire
WAS PHONE

A socket is one end of a computer network connection.

It's not a physical thing; it's an abstraction/metaphor implemented in software.

Last edited by Melody Chalis : Today at 03:47 AM.
Spire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 AM   #4
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Why do they constantly need to open a new one? I know these questions sound dumb but they all sound kinda dumb using this word over and over for the past 7 years.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
Spire
WAS PHONE

Computers typically open a new socket whenever they need to download or upload some data. This includes every time you click a link to go to a new page in your Web browser, every time you send someone an IM, and every time you check your e-mail.

If you're running Windows, try the netstat command at a command prompt (cmd) to see a list of all the sockets your computer has open right this instant.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Opening a socket makes more sense than refreshing a hard drive which is what cougar trap Kim had to do in an episode.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_socket

Of course only in 24 do end users "manually" open sockets, the rest of us use applications to open sockets for us. A web browser may open a dozen or more sockets just to open a web page.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_socket

Of course only in 24 do end users "manually" open sockets, the rest of us use applications to open sockets for us. A web browser may open a dozen or more sockets just to open a web page.
I've always had the impression that 24's 'manual' opening of sockets is a security thing. Akin to opening up a port of a firewall. Still not accurate, but it works OK for the show, imo.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I've always assumed that the "sockets" in 24 are not the same thing as a normal TCP/IP socket. They're some kind of super-secure computer connection; "creating" one apparently involves having special kinds of access (sometimes peoples' security clearance is lowered in 24, then they can't create sockets, or at least not all kinds of sockets, anymore).

To get more technical I've imagined that 24 sockets are something like a super-secure VPN connection which requires lots of passwords, etc. to set up.

Of course, really it's just some tech terminology that the folks on 24 made up.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
newsposter
Poster of News

wow i just discovered i have over 2 dozen sockets open on my laptop...so does this mean chloe has access to my machine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
jeff125va

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
wow i just discovered i have over 2 dozen sockets open on my laptop...so does this mean chloe has access to my machine?
Either that or someone has used a CIP device to disable the government firewall protecting the laptops of every American.
jeff125va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
mrmike
Custom User Title

Quote:
No, it means....

You're the mole!
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Computers typically open a new socket whenever they need to download or upload some data. This includes every time you click a link to go to a new page in your Web browser, every time you send someone an IM, and every time you check your e-mail.
In the abstract, your are always opening new connections. In real world implentation, however, applications go to some effort to keep open and reuse existing connections. The latencies involved in opening and 'spinning up' a new connection make it worth while for a web browser to open 4 or 8 connections at once to download all the component pieces of the of a web page.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
No, it means....

You're the mole!
I disagree. Chloe has two tasks she needs to do, but can only do one at a time, so she needs clarification, okay?!?!

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
goMO

yeah, it was kind of a boring episode last night!!
goMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
scsiguy72
OTA Only..Free TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
I disagree. Chloe has two tasks she needs to do, but can only do one at a time, so she needs clarification, okay?!?!

Greg
Don't forget...She is also a stay at home mom.

scsiguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
No, it means....

You're the mole!
so if i open up my laptop, where will i see these sockets?

!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Opening a socket is akin to setting up a perimeter. Neither one will last very long.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's true that, most of the time, we rely on apps to open their own sockets. But on 24, everyone seems to be a programmer, among their many other skills. And if they were using something like Python's interactive interpreter (surely there's no time for compiling/linking C!), they could actually open a socket manually, and have the interpreter sitting at the prompt waiting for the next command, while the socket was open.

But seriously, everything about computers (and, well, everything else) in 24 is ridiculous, really.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguy72 View Post
Stay at home MILF, you mean!

And her home is Bill's garage.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #21
busyba
The Funcooker

I just assumed the socket is where Jack shoots you when he wants information from you.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguy72 View Post
Great line....we roared when she said that.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #23
Boot
to the head

Quote:
I have 861 sockets currently open on my work machine.

"
" - GiGi
Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #24
newsposter
Poster of News

oh i loved when she said 'i need you to open another socket' and now understand the reason for the thread.

!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #25
dtivouser
Tivoless

TC CLUB MEMBER
"Open a socket to the DOD mainframe" is a bit like saying "Go mix petrol and air to create a combustion to drive you to Montgomery Wards."
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #26
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
"Open a socket to the DOD mainframe" is a bit like saying "Go mix petrol and air to create a combustion to drive you to Montgomery Wards."
Time travel. Cool.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 02-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #27
hbtaylor

But the important thing from this week's episode is that she requested a "fresh" socket. Obviously, for some things, a day-old, worn-out socket is okay, but when the task is really critical, nothing but a fresh-from-the-bakery, shrink-wrap-still-on socket will do the trick. I'm just surprised they didn't need to initiate a protocol to go with the socket.
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #28
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtaylor View Post
But the important thing from this week's episode is that she requested a "fresh" socket. Obviously, for some things, a day-old, worn-out socket is okay, but when the task is really critical, nothing but a fresh-from-the-bakery, shrink-wrap-still-on socket will do the trick. I'm just surprised they didn't need to initiate a protocol to go with the socket.
Which is especially funny because everyone knows that a socket needs to be broken in a bit before you can get top performance out of it.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #29
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
oh i loved when she said 'i need you to open another socket' and now understand the reason for the thread.
If you listen closely, this is a pretty popular line since Day 1 I think. I know Chloe, Milo, Edgar, I think even Nina were all obsessed with sockets.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:09 AM   #30
Spire
WAS PHONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
In the abstract, your are always opening new connections. In real world implentation, however, applications go to some effort to keep open and reuse existing connections. The latencies involved in opening and 'spinning up' a new connection make it worth while for a web browser to open 4 or 8 connections at once to download all the component pieces of the of a web page.
Yes, I know. (I'm a software developer, and I deal with this stuff every day.) I was just trying to simplify the explanation a bit.