TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #301
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
If I let streambaby select the resolution, 'stretching' occurs. And it's 'weird'. some 1.33 films are stretched to fit. Some 1.66 films are letterboxed. etc..
Is this only the case with transcoded files? (In particular transcoded using a quality other than SAME). Or do you get the distortion with "Same" transcoding? (With qualities other than same I specify a scaling. For SAME I don't tell ffmpeg anything about the aspect/scaling)

I know moyekj reported something similar with some WMV files, and I never did figure out what was happening.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #302
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehz View Post
Upgraded to 0.20 on Ubuntu 8.10 server running through galleon and no go. As soon as I hit the StreamBaby, Stream menu item I get this in the logs:

23:46:08,674 INFO [Acceptor] AppHost - Current resolution is: com.tivo.hme.sdk.Resolution[640x480-PAR=1/1]
23:46:08,687 INFO [Acceptor] AppHost - HME receiver disconnected
23:46:08,705 INFO [Acceptor] AppHost - connection to receiver closed
23:46:08,706 INFO [Acceptor] AppHost - Unexpected error: java.lang.NullPointerException

FWIW - streambaby standalone 0.20 runs just fine. Any suggestions windracer?
It would help if you could isolate this to galleon->streambaby interaction or a bug in streambaby... Can you run streambaby manually? do you still get the error?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #303
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Is this only the case with transcoded files? (In particular transcoded using a quality other than SAME). Or do you get the distortion with "Same" transcoding? (With qualities other than same I specify a scaling. For SAME I don't tell ffmpeg anything about the aspect/scaling)

I know moyekj reported something similar with some WMV files, and I never did figure out what was happening.
This is entirely for transcoded files (I don't have many movies that are streamed, but I can try to track down some h264/ac3 mp4s to test it with).

This is true for both 'same' and 'high/medium/etc'. i.e. If you don't supply a resolution to scale it to, the original movie resolution is still being stretched. when you do supply a resolution, you're always using 'original resolution' or a 'constant multiple for both x and y', so it's still stretched the same way.

The files I'm toying with are mkv files h264/ac3. Although it doesn't seem like the container format matters...

I'm wondering if a 'fix' might involve doing something like:
high = 1920x1080
medium = 720 x 400
low = 640x360

(or something like that) and always rescaling to those values?
Out of interest.. are you not seeing this at all? not even 16:9 movies getting letterboxed?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #304
kearygriffin

Quote:
(or something like that) and always rescaling to those values?
Out of interest.. are you not seeing this at all? not even 16:9 movies getting letterboxed?
I mostly have MP4 files. Even the MPG&AVI files that I use for testing are transcoded from my MP4 originals.

And just to make sure, is the ffmpeg -i information you put in your post from the same ffmpeg that streambaby is using?

The reason I ask is I have an anamorphic wmv file, and my older ffmpeg prints out the correct info, but a new (mid december version) doesn't print out the aspect ratio. I'm compiling todays ffmpeg SVN to see what it says.

And just to note, streambaby calculating the wrong aspect is not critical, as it is only currently used to generate a correct aspect thumbnail, but it could be a clue as to the problem.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 AM   #305
Yoav

Wow, ok my bad!

It looks as if the tivo had the output display set to "smart (SD=4:3, HD=16:9)" and that was causing both 4:3 to fill the output (and the amp would stretch it) and made 1.66 show up squished. When ffmpeg was expanding everything to 1080, then of course it was always using 16:9 and always looked right...

So, everything is 'working as it should be'... My bad for taking so long to realize this, and sorry

Last edited by Yoav : 01-31-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:52 AM   #306
kearygriffin

Quote:
Ok, so for testing purposes:
(ok it's uploaded)
http://yoav.org/files/Test.zip

(it's big) contains two 1.33 files, two 1.66, and two 1.85
In theory, the 1.33 should be sideboxed, 1.66 should fit perfectly, and 1.85 should be letterboxed. Instead, the 1.33 is stretched, and the 1.66 is squished on my setup. I'd love to know if you're seeing the same thing.

And to answer the previous question: it doesn't matter if it's being transcoded or not. The behavior is the same. (I'm of the opinion that if the tivo gets a 640x480 movie, it fits it to the screen, etc.. I think it's ignoring the PAR/DAR values).
Thanks, downloading now. I'll take a look in the morning.

I fixed the issue with streambaby not calculating the correct aspect ratio, it had to do with different versions of ffmpeg. (Just pushed that version to SVN). But like I said, that was a bit of a side issue. (but having streambaby calculate the correct aspect ratio may help in eventually solving the issue, because I can force ffmpeg to do what I want)

I think TiVo does the correct thing when it gets the correct information. I have various videos that work correctly in 4:3, 16:9 and whatever it is that movies are shown at, even when I transcode them.

I think the problem with just specifying various resolutions to ffmpeg, is that I am pretty sure we will find that videos that would have played correctly will start having the wrong aspect ratio. (So playing a 640x480 movie with a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1 which used to play correctly will start getting stretched to 16:9, for instance)
Old 01-31-2009, 02:34 AM   #307
Yoav

my bad!

YIKES! My bad!!!

The program is working as intended.

Long explanation: The whole stretching stuff was entirely my fault. I had my video/TV aspect ratio set to "Smart (16:9 hd, 4:3 SD)", which made some streams use a 4:3 display (causing 1.33 to fill the whole screen, and 1.66 to add bars above/below). Those were then stretched by my amp to fill up my 16:9 display. When I rescaled using ffmpeg to 1920x1080, it was using the HD half, and so was getting sideboxed/letterboxed correctly.

So.. Gah. Sorry to waste your time. Hopefully this will catch some other people's worries about unexpected stretching.

Also, while debugging this, I noticed that the 'aspect' button does not work while viewing a stream (nothing you can do about it -- but it does mean when we tell people to make sure they have aspect set to 'panel' we tell them to do it while watching live TV or something).

Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 AM   #308
kearygriffin

Quote:
YIKES! My bad!!!
The program is working as intended.
I think you edited a previous message instead of posting the first time. It really confused me when I saw that post. Couldn't figure out why in one message you were saying it was OK and in the next still having problems (and how could I possibly have missed a post hours ago about things working ;-)

From looking into this I think the one problem that may crop up (but I think it will be rare) is that mpeg-2 only supports:
1:1
4:3
16:9
221:100

So any other aspect ratios will be scaled to the closest in that list. I probably won't bother trying to work-around this (I could probably figure out a way tell ffmpeg to generate letterboxing/pillarboxing for off-aspect videos), as most videos will be close enough to one of these ratios that it wouldn't even be noticeable. (for instance your 1.85 or 1.66 both get scaled to 1.77). I have a feeling that my work-arounds would end up being more problematic than the original issue.

EDIT: I think I'm wrong. I have no idea what aspect mpeg-2 supports, but a quick test shows it's more than I thought. (I was going by my reading the ffmpeg mpeg encoding code, but I must be misinterpreting it)

Last edited by kearygriffin : 01-31-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 AM   #309
Yoav

In some 'good' news. Can you please add '.mov' as yet another valid default file extension? I changed the config file to add it as an extension and it's working fine. (it's transcoding although it ID's it as an mpeg-4 container, so I suspect if I had a h.264/ac3 .mov file, it would try to stream it instead).

Old 01-31-2009, 03:08 AM   #310
Yoav

Quote:
EDIT: I think I'm wrong. I have no idea what aspect mpeg-2 supports, but a quick test shows it's more than I thought. (I was going by my reading the ffmpeg mpeg encoding code, but I must be misinterpreting it)
Either way not much to worry about. It doesn't have to be perfect. stretching 4:3 to 16:9 would be bad, but that's not what we're talking about here

Thank you again btw..

Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 AM   #311
Sicklybutsexy

I've noticed a problem in fast-forwarding within an mpeg (a streamable one). I went to go to the movie at the 25 minute mark and it did, the frame was the 25 minute mark. However, the seek bar shows that it is at the 1 hour and 2 minute mark. Seems as if the bar is incorrectly displaying the actual point in the video we're actually watching.
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #312
Sicklybutsexy

Not only that, the seek bar was saying the movie was 2 hours and 25 minutes long when it is actually 1 hour 48 minutes long.
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:00 AM   #313
Emillion

Quote:
At what point did you receive this error? As soon as streambaby was started, or at some point later on (like when attempting to play a particular video, etc..)

Thanks
The error occurs when trying to play a file (mp4, mpg, avi - same error)...
Emillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #314
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehz View Post
Upgraded to 0.20 on Ubuntu 8.10 server running through galleon and no go. As soon as I hit the StreamBaby, Stream menu item I get this in the logs:

23:46:08,674 INFO [Acceptor] AppHost - Current resolution is: com.tivo.hme.sdk.Resolution[640x480-PAR=1/1]
23:46:08,687 INFO [Acceptor] AppHost - HME receiver disconnected
23:46:08,705 INFO [Acceptor] AppHost - connection to receiver closed
23:46:08,706 INFO [Acceptor] AppHost - Unexpected error: java.lang.NullPointerException

FWIW - streambaby standalone 0.20 runs just fine. Any suggestions windracer?
I had this too the first time I tried too and it was because I mistyped my path for the streambaby.dir setting. if you check the wrapper.log, you'll probably see something about it not being able to find blue.jpg (the background image which is under the assets folder).

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #315
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emillion View Post
The error occurs when trying to play a file (mp4, mpg, avi - same error)...
Hmm, I really don't know- I just tried 0.20a on Vista agin, and didn't seem to have any problems.

It might (and might not...) help if you could do the following.
edit simplelog.properties and change the first line to:
com.unwiredappeal=debug

Then rerun streambaby, try to play a video. After the crash if you could somehow get me the log streambaby.log file, that would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #316
jasa

kearygriffin I just wanted to know when will you upload newer fixed version of.20 ???

I just saw on google code that there has been some changes in somefiles
jasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #317
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa View Post
kearygriffin I just wanted to know when will you upload newer fixed version of.20 ???

There are no major changes in the SVN version, just a couple of bug fixes for determining aspect ratio. (And streambaby doesn't really use the aspect ratio it calculates, so no one but me will really know the difference)

What problem are you looking to get fixed? If you are talking about funny voices in the FLV, I can take a look, and it's possible I am doing something wrong, but I have a feeling there is not much I am going to be able to do. (Either ffmpeg transcodes it OK, or it doesn't).

If it is getting more filetypes supported, just add this line to streambaby.ini:
extensions=mp4,mpeg,vob,mpg,mpeg2,mp2,avi,wmv,asf,mkv,tivo,m 4v,m4a,raw,3gp,mov

and add whatever additional extensions you want. (In the list above 3gp and mov are new and not in the current default)

I don't check anymore if i think ffmpeg can convert it, I just throw the file at it, so you should be able to add any extension you think ffmpeg can handle.

Keary
Old 01-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #318
Yoav

Quote:

'fixed' version? 0.20 isn't broken for me... (it has bugs, but that's normal for anything under active development). If you want the latest code as he's editting it, you can always follow the instructions at http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/source/checkout
Then build it by running 'ant' in the toplevel...

Old 01-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #319
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quick question - is there any reason I can't run two instances of streambaby on the same computer, as long as they're outputting to different ports? I'm comparing some issues I have with 0.20beta against how things worked in 0.19a, and it'd go faster if I could run them simultaneously - but I know apps don't always handle that situation gracefully.

Right now I am killing one instance before launching the other, just to be safe...
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #320
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
Quick question - is there any reason I can't run two instances of streambaby on the same computer, as long as they're outputting to different ports? I'm comparing some issues I have with 0.20beta against how things worked in 0.19a, and it'd go faster if I could run them simultaneously - but I know apps don't always handle that situation gracefully.

Right now I am killing one instance before launching the other, just to be safe...
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you change ports (and changing title= would make things a bitter easier also).
Old 01-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #321
jasa

Keary first of all thanks for the replay, if you could find a fix for .flv voice it will be great, everything is great but now I want to tell you about something that has been happening very often now, some .avi files are working great, but others after re-buffering to overcome 1.1G limit or when fast forwarding give me error saying something like "resources not available" and do not play when I know that they are playable, because I watched half of the movie already. If you could take a look at that that will be great also, thanks in advance !!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
windracer I used your instructions to integrate streambaby with galleon and everything was fine on Kubuntu, then I tried on Vista and it does not work here is error it is giving me:

Quote:
13:41:02,411 ERROR [WrapperListener_start_runner] AppFactory - java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.StreamBabyStream: check the classpath and access permissions
Do you have any idea what might be the problem here ????
jasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #322
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you change ports (and changing title= would make things a bitter easier also).
Thanks. And I already have the title set to reflect the version number so I don't get confused.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:31 PM   #323
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Okay, part of this is reiterating an earlier post - apologies for that.

With 0.20beta, I'm seeing an issue with certain videos where frames are being dropped (same video plays fine via 0.19a). I was trying to come up with a "problem demo" video that was of a more reasonable size , so I grabbed the DVD that was the original source, and ripped just the first chapter using my typical settings - but that shorter video doesn't display the same issue except for in one spot about 2 seconds into the video; so it's not as good of a test case.

Is there any reason that file size (43MB [2 minutes] versus 550MB [31 minutes]) might affect how well streambaby handles a video? They're both 2500kbps h.264 w/ ac3 passthrough.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #324
kearygriffin

Quote:
Okay, part of this is reiterating an earlier post - apologies for that.

With 0.20beta, I'm seeing an issue with certain videos where frames are being dropped (same video plays fine via 0.19a). I was trying to come up with a "problem demo" video that was of a more reasonable size , so I grabbed the DVD that was the original source, and ripped just the first chapter using my typical settings - but that shorter video doesn't display the same issue except for in one spot about 2 seconds into the video; so it's not as good of a test case.

Is there any reason that file size (43MB [2 minutes] versus 550MB [31 minutes]) might affect how well streambaby handles a video? They're both 2500kbps h.264 w/ ac3 passthrough.
I can't really think of a reason. One thing to try. The reinterleaving code in 0.19a is different from 0.20beta (to try and fix some of the blocky/green issues). To make them do the same thing (I hope), set the following in both INI's:
mp4module.interleave=false

I would then expect the two releases to behave the same way, and would be curious to see the results:
a) They both don't work
b) They both work
c) No change, 0.19a has no problems and 0.20beta has issues.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #325
kearygriffin

Quote:
Keary first of all thanks for the replay, if you could find a fix for .flv voice it will be great, everything is great but now I want to tell you about something that has been happening very often now, some .avi files are working great, but others after re-buffering to overcome 1.1G limit or when fast forwarding give me error saying something like "resources not available" and do not play when I know that they are playable, because I watched half of the movie already. If you could take a look at that that will be great also, thanks in advance !!
Where do you see the resources not available? In the log, or on the screen. (and what color is it if it is on the screen...) It's not a message I recognize off the top of my head.

I'd also be curious to see what happens if you let the TiVo "rest" for a couple of hours, and then go back and try to play one of the avi's that was giving you problems. I have seen problems when doing a lot of playing/positioning/etc with the tivo stop playing streams. I don't know what causes it, but a simple rest seems to take care of it. I get it mostly when I am testing over and over again.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #326
kearygriffin

Delay in Streambaby development

I'm afraid to say that there may be a 4-7 day (I hope it's not longer...) pause in any major streambaby development.

My Sony SXRD lamp just blew up with a loud "snap". Best Buy parts says I should receive my new one in 4-7 days. (I have a service plan so I need to get it through best buy).

It's the only TV in my house, so anything I can't do on the simulator (which at a minimum means I can't test how movies actually play/look/sound) won't get done.

Gonna be a rough 4-7 days.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #327
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
My Sony SXRD lamp just blew up with a loud "snap". Best Buy parts says I should receive my new one in 4-7 days. (I have a service plan so I need to get it through best buy).

It's the only TV in my house, so anything I can't do on the simulator (which at a minimum means I can't test how movies actually play/look/sound) won't get done.

Gonna be a rough 4-7 days.
I'm sorry to hear that! Not because of streambaby, but because of the annoyance factor for you.

I usually don't watch a ton of TV (I've watched more lately though); but it's one of those things like electricity that you get used to "just being there" - and it's annoying when you can't turn on the news, watch some movie that catches your fancy, or whatever.

I hope you get your replacement parts quickly!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #328
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
I can't really think of a reason. One thing to try. The reinterleaving code in 0.19a is different from 0.20beta (to try and fix some of the blocky/green issues). To make them do the same thing (I hope), set the following in both INI's:
mp4module.interleave=false

I would then expect the two releases to behave the same way, and would be curious to see the results:
a) They both don't work
b) They both work
c) No change, 0.19a has no problems and 0.20beta has issues.
I made the change in both .ini files, and now both exhibit the same problems - so "a) They both don't work".

As an aside - does streambaby detect changes in its config file? I've been stopping it, editing the .ini, and then restarting; but I just wondered if that's necessary.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #329
kearygriffin

Quote:
I made the change in both .ini files, and now both exhibit the same problems - so "a) They both don't work".

As an aside - does streambaby detect changes in its config file? I've been stopping it, editing the .ini, and then restarting; but I just wondered if that's necessary.
No, it doesn't detect changes, so starting and stopping is the correct thing to do. It sounds like those videos need the reinterleaving for the TiVo to "like" them. Do you have a utility called MP4Box? If so you can try running:
MP4Box -isma <infile>.mp4 -out <outfile>mp4

It should reinterleave the file properly, and I'd be curious to see the results.

The difference between 0.19a and 0.20beta for mp4s was that I automatically turn off reinterleaving in certain cases. I don't currently have a config option to turn off this "feature". The problem with leaving reinterleaving on is that it causes problems with some of your mp4s.

So I'm not sure what I am going to do, I'll need to think about it. I may need to look into the old problem again and see if there is another solution.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #330
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
No, it doesn't detect changes, so starting and stopping is the correct thing to do. It sounds like those videos need the reinterleaving for the TiVo to "like" them. Do you have a utility called MP4Box? If so you can try running:
MP4Box -isma <infile>.mp4 -out <outfile>mp4

It should reinterleave the file properly, and I'd be curious to see the results
There doesn't seem to be a Mac version; but it builds on Linux (not just Windows) so I might see if I can get it to compile on the Mac. Otherwise I can run it under Windows by using VMware. In any case, I'll give it a try.

There's also another method that might accomplish the same thing; I am trying that as well.

I think the baseline issue is - when it comes to digital video, I know just enough to be dangerous.