TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #181
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There were no dependencies when I installed PIL on my Mac. It was a nice simple package. I don't remember where I got it, but perhaps this will do:

http://pythonmac.org/packages/py25-fat/index.html

I have to say, I'm very disappointed to read that pyTivoX was released without testing photos or music.
Based on the output above, doesn't it look as though I have PIL installed?
raianoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #182
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by raianoat View Post
Based on the output above, doesn't it look as though I have PIL installed?
from this chunk
Code:
'/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/PIL'
I would guess you do.. You can always verify by checking that there is something in that directory .

However, a 'clean' mac has nothing in site-packages. And I'd rather not tell people 'to use photos, you must go install PIL and whatever requirements it has'.

That said, in an earlier message wmcbrine pointed at a build of PIL that has all non-default dependencies linked in, which I am now toying with. So if it works out, I'll just include it, and hopefully it will get things working.. (building stuff right now).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #183
Yoav

Ok, so I just integrated the PIL build, and photos are working...
So next build of pyTivo should do photos fine..

Thanks for catching it...

Old 01-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #184
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok, so I just integrated the PIL build, and photos are working...
So next build of pyTivo should do photos fine..

Thanks for catching it...
Will pyTiVoX somehow install the pkg that was referenced earlier? Will I need to "uninstall" the library that I've already installed?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #185
Yoav

Quote:
Will pyTiVoX somehow install the pkg that was referenced earlier? Will I need to "uninstall" the library that I've already installed?
It will 'just work' (it will include the necessary files in the pyTivoX.app bundle).
You do not need to install or uninstall anything

If you feel like trying it out, download the latest beta...

edit: I should point out the latest beta has the latest code of a bunch of things, including
pytivo, ffmpeg (+underlying libs), streambaby, etc...

Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #186
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Quote:
It will 'just work' (it will include the necessary files in the pyTivoX.app bundle).
You do not need to install or uninstall anything

If you feel like trying it out, download the latest beta...

edit: I should point out the latest beta has the latest code of a bunch of things, including
pytivo, ffmpeg (+underlying libs), streambaby, etc...
Downloading it now...I'll let you know if it works for me.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #187
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

It worked! Thanks a lot! BTW, I also tried out the streaming feature and it rocks. Be sure to let me know when you release an official version. I'd love to mention it on my blog.

Also, what does "videoytivo" mean in the type column? How is it different than just "video"?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #188
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

I may have spoke too soon . StreamBaby is saying that most of my directories don't contain any video. Thus far I've only gotten it to work with one directory where I have .mp4 files.

does streambaby only work with h.264 encoded content?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #189
NA9D

Quote:
Originally Posted by designbot View Post

The only issue I've noticed is that AAC audio files don't play correctly, but TiVo Desktop has the same problem.

Thank you!
If you do some Google or forum searches on this you'll find the answer. There's an error in the Tivo firmware that flips some bits in the AAC codec or something like that. There's a script you can run on your Mac that flips the bits so it works with Tivo. I did it last spring when I got my TivoHD and I forgot the exact details but it works just fine.
NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #190
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
If you do some Google or forum searches on this you'll find the answer. There's an error in the Tivo firmware that flips some bits in the AAC codec or something like that. There's a script you can run on your Mac that flips the bits so it works with Tivo. I did it last spring when I got my TivoHD and I forgot the exact details but it works just fine.
Just curious - is this PPC Macs you're talking about and the big endian/little endian difference between PPC and x86? All my Macs are Intel-based now; but I do remember (unrelated to Tivo) occasionally having to do some "endian magic" with some music files - specifically when I was trying to make ringtones for my phone on my old Powerbook.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:35 AM   #191
Yoav

Quote:
It worked! Thanks a lot! BTW, I also tried out the streaming feature and it rocks. Be sure to let me know when you release an official version. I'd love to mention it on my blog.

Also, what does "videoytivo" mean in the type column? How is it different than just "video"?
It was requested that I allow you to specify some directories to be served by pytivo only, and some by streambaby only. I'm still debating removing this since it feels more like it's confusing than useful (again, simple program for people who don't want advanced features...).

Old 01-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #192
Yoav

Quote:
I may have spoke too soon . StreamBaby is saying that most of my directories don't contain any video. Thus far I've only gotten it to work with one directory where I have .mp4 files.

does streambaby only work with h.264 encoded content?
Is it listing nothing? I believe streambaby only lists files that end with a file extension that matches any of these (from the wiki):

extensions= (default:mp4,mpeg,vob,mpg,mpeg2,mp2,avi,wmv,asf)

Ok the wiki is a little out of date, I believe mkv was added to that list. Do your filenames match that? It will only 'as-is' stream mpeg-2 and mp4 (h264/aac-ac3) files, but other files it will gladly convert on the fly and stream...

However, things are still being ironed out .

Oh and did you hit 'apply' after changing your lists of directories?

Old 01-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #193
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
Just curious - is this PPC Macs you're talking about and the big endian/little endian difference between PPC and x86? All my Macs are Intel-based now; but I do remember (unrelated to Tivo) occasionally having to do some "endian magic" with some music files - specifically when I was trying to make ringtones for my phone on my old Powerbook.
Hmm.. I have an intel mac and haven't had any issues with AAC (except for that problem I mentioned earlier when streaming as-is h.264/AAC, it got dropped to 2-channel even though the aac source was 5.1).

Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #194
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Hmm.. I have an intel mac and haven't had any issues with AAC (except for that problem I mentioned earlier when streaming as-is h.264/AAC, it got dropped to 2-channel even though the aac source was 5.1).
Sorry I wasn't clear (and it was asked simply out of curiosity anyway) - then endian issues were back when I was on a PPC-based Powerbook. PPC uses Big Endian architecture while x86 is Little Endian. Actually I think PPC CPUs can go either way, but PPC Macs ran in Big Endian mode by default. IIRC I used to have to tell lame to output in Little Endian mode if I wanted the ringtones to play at all on my phone.

But it sounds like this wasn't even related to the problem mentioned anyway.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #195
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Designbot may be referring to encrypted AAC files, which won't work with pyTivo. Unencrypted AAC should play (transcoded to MP3 on the fly with ffmpeg).

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #196
pkscout

Quote:
It was requested that I allow you to specify some directories to be served by pytivo only, and some by streambaby only. I'm still debating removing this since it feels more like it's confusing than useful (again, simple program for people who don't want advanced features...).
I'm really finding the feature useful, but then I requested it. Maybe if the option was video:stream, video:now playing, video:both that would clarify. I won't die if you remove the feature, but I will cry a little.

On an unrelated note, I downloaded the latest beta, and now the stuff I stream only goes for 5 minutes and then the TiVo drops back into Live TV. I tried a number of videos, rebooted the TiVo and restarted pyTiVoX and the result is consistent. It's like the TiVo doesn't realize streambaby is doing something.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #197
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Unhandled idle events. See the Streambaby thread... I don't think he's made changes in that area yet (?), so it's probably just bad luck that you're seeing it now.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #198
gilbreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post
On an unrelated note, I downloaded the latest beta, and now the stuff I stream only goes for 5 minutes and then the TiVo drops back into Live TV. I tried a number of videos, rebooted the TiVo and restarted pyTiVoX and the result is consistent. It's like the TiVo doesn't realize streambaby is doing something.
I just installed pyTivoX yesterday for the StreamBaby capabilities on my Mac. I am seeing the same behavior also (plays for 5 minutes then kicks out to Live TV). I can go back into the file and it gives me the option to resume playback at the point I was kicked out and the show resumes at the right spot.

I have also noticed that if I play a show but hit Left to go back to the previous menu, about 3 out of 5 times, the pyTivoX StreamBaby menu item disappears from the choices of HME items. The only way to get it back is to go to my Mac and open the config menu and hit 'Apply' and it comes back to life.
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #199
moyekj

I suspect latest pyTivoX streambaby portion may have been built based on current SVN code from streambaby which has wrong fix for idle handling.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #200
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I suspect latest pyTivoX streambaby portion may have been built based on current SVN code from streambaby which has wrong fix for idle handling.
It indeed does use the latest svn code (yay beta). Any idea when that will be fixed? I can drop it back to 0.19, but it seems like plenty of nice new things were added....

edit: Well given that the choice is between only working for 5 minutes or losing some nifty new features... I'd guess people prefer the working . So I'll go build another beta right now... (should be up in a few minutes).

Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #201
Yoav

Ok, new beta up (1.1b8). Only change is a revert to release 0.19a of streambaby, to avoid a bug in the latest svn code...

Old 01-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #202
gilbreen

Quote:
Ok, new beta up (1.1b8). Only change is a revert to release 0.19a of streambaby, to avoid a bug in the latest svn code...
Wow! Now that is what I call service!

Yoav, thanks for all your efforts in making two great programs accessible to the Mac/Tivo user community.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #203
Yoav

Ok, it's a bit dizzying, but:
1.1b9 is up now.

Please click the 'apply' button after upgrading to write out a new compatible config file.

It's using the latest streambaby (0.20) and I enabled the stream quality option and upped the highest resolution to 1080. Keep in mind this is still in beta, but problem reports (both with pyTivoX and streambaby) are very helpful.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #204
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbreen View Post
I have also noticed that if I play a show but hit Left to go back to the previous menu, about 3 out of 5 times, the pyTivoX StreamBaby menu item disappears from the choices of HME items. The only way to get it back is to go to my Mac and open the config menu and hit 'Apply' and it comes back to life.
That sounds very much like streambaby is crashing (apply restarts it).

If it's still happening post 1.1b9, can you please (before you hit the apply button) send us the result of the following command in Terminal.app:

Code:
 tail -30 /tmp/pyTivoX-SB.log
(that should hopefully be enough to figure out why it crashed...)

Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #205
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Quote:
Is it listing nothing? I believe streambaby only lists files that end with a file extension that matches any of these (from the wiki):

extensions= (default:mp4,mpeg,vob,mpg,mpeg2,mp2,avi,wmv,asf)

Ok the wiki is a little out of date, I believe mkv was added to that list. Do your filenames match that? It will only 'as-is' stream mpeg-2 and mp4 (h264/aac-ac3) files, but other files it will gladly convert on the fly and stream...

However, things are still being ironed out .

Oh and did you hit 'apply' after changing your lists of directories?
that would explain it. I was trying to stream .mov files.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #206
Yoav

Quote:
that would explain it. I was trying to stream .mov files.
Wow. I didn't even notice .mov wasn't in the list! Yeah it clearly should be .
Although /mov is a quicktime container (it's supposed to be similar to mp4 I think).. Not sure
if there's support for quicktime containers in streambaby yet.. Let me mess with it locally first

Old 01-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #207
pkscout

Quote:
Ok, it's a bit dizzying, but:
1.1b9 is up now.
I just wanted to confirm that after testing it appears that the 5 minute drop to live issue is resolved with this beta.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #208
norbertsf

Yoav,

Been using pyTivoX for about 3 weeks now.

Thanks for your time end effort! Love it!

Norbert
norbertsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #209
gilbreen

Quote:
That sounds very much like streambaby is crashing (apply restarts it).

If it's still happening post 1.1b9, can you please (before you hit the apply button) send us the result of the following command in Terminal.app:

Code:
 tail -30 /tmp/pyTivoX-SB.log
(that should hopefully be enough to figure out why it crashed...)
I have installed the latest beta (1.1b9) and so far so good.

One question, is it my imagination or was pyTivoX running before without a dock icon? Not sure but I thought it was running on my machine with only the menu item present. I could be totally be wrong.

In addition, the beta also resolved the issue with being kicked out to LiveTV after 5 min of viewing.

Thanks so much again for bringing streambaby to the Mac. I came back to Tivo from ReplayTV and one of the features I really missed with the ReplavTV was the ability to truly stream vs. copying shows to the Tivo. This brings back a sorely missed feature.

Gilbert
Old 01-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #210
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbreen View Post
One question, is it my imagination or was pyTivoX running before without a dock icon? Not sure but I thought it was running on my machine with only the menu item present. I could be totally be wrong.
It's probably not your imagination. If you select 'launch at startup' it's supposed to run without a dock icon. The intent is to have it running in the background (like a service) if you have that selected.

HOWEVER, due to how apple handles dock icons, it's a little messy when the code gets re-installed or upgraded.

So, after an upgrade/install, you have to unselect 'launch at startup', re-select it, and exit. Then, next time you launch it, there will be no dock icon (unless you asked the dock to keep the icon there) -- Or if you like the dock icon, don't use 'launch at startup'). In theory I could add code to detect that it was upgraded and you had 'launch' selected, and mostly do the right thing -- but right now that's low priority for me...