TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #211
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
Ok - I found the log but it's huge (10.2MB). I obviously can't post that here so what should I do? I did extract the show using the Decrypt format successfully but that's a big file (30+GB). I wanted to extract it to something smaller so that I could burn it to DVD.
IF it's 30+Gb, I'm guessing it's a high-def show? So you're going to have to re-encode it once at the minimum to fit on a DVD. Does your DVD burning software let you 'encode to fit'? If so, just hand it the huge file...

In any case, assuming your DVD burning software accepts mp4 files, AND you don't mind the quality loss you'd get from double-encoding, you can probably choose one of the quicktime h.264 encode formats as an intermediate.

IF you need an mpeg-2 stream that fits, then we're going to have to fix the mpeg-2 creation (which, honestly, has been giving me no end of headaches).

Did you already include the fix I sent in a previous message (adding muxrate?)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #212
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
Ok - I found the log but it's huge (10.2MB). I obviously can't post that here so what should I do? I did extract the show using the Decrypt format successfully but that's a big file (30+GB). I wanted to extract it to something smaller so that I could burn it to DVD.
Ok, before we do anything else, I just uploaded a new version.
Can you check for update...
install it
go to prefs, select any format OTHER than DVD
then go back to prefs, and select 'DVD' again.

(you have to switch away and back to get the new DVD settings).

Tell me if it's working for you now?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #213
Yoav

Quick announce:
iTivo 1.7.1 is up

Minor format fixes, a few bug fixes, and the ability to disable auto-connect.

Additionally, for those who were complaining about the encoding times, I added two quicktime-compatible formats:
mpeg-1, which should be fast to encode on even the oldest of computers
divx-3, which should be somewhat faster than x264.. but requires you install Perian or some other way to view old divx codecs.

Both those formats are significantly worse quality at the same bitrate.

oops : make that 1.7.2 .. A tiny typo slipped into 1.7.1, and that leads multi-step encodes to break...

Last edited by Yoav : 01-30-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:25 AM   #214
ericgoldy

Using iTivo remotely

Hello,

I'm looking to be able to download my files from my tivo remotely.

When I am within my network, i can download files a variety of ways -- i have the TIVO2Go software on a PC, I have iTivo on a MAC and I can access it through the web access via the Tivo's IP address (192.168.1.108/nowplaying/index.html)

I have set up my router with dyndns so that I can access my network (e.g. mynetwork.dyndns.org).

I have a Linksys router and I'm trying to figure out the right settings (port forward settings) to access my tivo.

I've tried forwarding ports 80, 8080, and 443 to the IP address for the tivo and then entering in my dyndns URL, so if I forwarded port 80, i then typed:

mynetwork.dyndns.org:80[
www (dot) mynetwork.dyndns.org:80[/url]

Nothing seems to work.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to use iTivo which asks for an ip address - not sure if I can even enter in my URL/port to gain access.

I know people are doing this and I think I'm a heartbeat from making it work correctly.. Any ideas?

Thanks...
ericgoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #215
NA9D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgoldy View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to be able to download my files from my tivo remotely.
iTivo works by using Broadcast packets to discover the Tivo. Broadcast packets don't traverse a router/NAT interface. Even if you log in using a VPN it sill won't work.

Best bet would be to simply log into your Tivo's web page and download the files that way and then manually convert them yourself. But remotely, this is going to take a long, long time. It will probably take 4 to 6 hours to download a single show if not longer.
NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #216
NA9D

Hey Yoav,

Here's a feature request. Can it be possible to have different preference settings saved and easily loaded? I just wanted to download and decrypt and copy a couple of shows but this is different than what I was doing before, for converting for the iPhone. Now to go back, I 'll need to change everything again including download locations, etc. And because I have a custom item in the mencoder settings (ie: delay), I'll need to manually enter that again as well. So if I could save a preferences settings or make it easy to change between settings, that would be really nice.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #217
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
Hey Yoav,

Here's a feature request. Can it be possible to have different preference settings saved and easily loaded? I just wanted to download and decrypt and copy a couple of shows but this is different than what I was doing before, for converting for the iPhone. Now to go back, I 'll need to change everything again including download locations, etc. And because I have a custom item in the mencoder settings (ie: delay), I'll need to manually enter that again as well. So if I could save a preferences settings or make it easy to change between settings, that would be really nice.
I'm unlikely to add that as a feature. however:
The preferences are saved in '<user>/Library/Preferences/com.iTiVo.iTiVo.plist'. So copy that file out and make different versions to copy back before starting iTiVo.

OR, under 'prefs/Advanced' you can 'save format'. So you can save the mencoder setting with the delay and any other changes you made, and it will then become available in the 'formats' menu.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #218
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgoldy View Post
Hello,
Ermm, I feel like I just answered that exact question on another thread...?

Just make sure to port forward port 443, and then connect to the tivo by the external (wan) IP address of the router (it will not show up on the list of tivos)

Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #219
NA9D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
OR, under 'prefs' you can 'save format'. So you can save the mencoder setting with the delay and any other changes you made, and it will then become available in the 'formats' menu.
OH OK. Then this is all I really need then. I was not aware that it then saved all that under the formats menu. I was afraid that even though I had saved it, it only saved it until I changed format and then if I went back, I'd have to make the modifications again.

This is good news and meets what I require.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #220
Yoav

Quote:
OH OK. Then this is all I really need then. I was not aware that it then saved all that under the formats menu. I was afraid that even though I had saved it, it only saved it until I changed format and then if I went back, I'd have to make the modifications again.

This is good news and meets what I require.
Just clarifying to make sure.. IT will save the encoder, and the encoder options (the stuff you editted). It will *not* save the download location, or things like 'use comskip', etc...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #221
NA9D

Quote:
Just clarifying to make sure.. IT will save the encoder, and the encoder options (the stuff you editted). It will *not* save the download location, or things like 'use comskip', etc...
Right. Saving the encoder options is the big one.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #222
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I'm unlikely to add that as a feature. however:
Aw, bummer. I, too, was hoping this could lead to "encoder profiles" -- kinda like what Handbrake has. Easy to switch back and forth between them, depending on my particular needs that day.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #223
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Speaking of this, I'm now wondering if rooSwitch would be a suitable solution for managing "iTiVo encoder profiles."
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #224
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Speaking of this, I'm now wondering if rooSwitch would be a suitable solution for managing "iTiVo encoder profiles."
Looks like it would work (for saving the additional stuff, like download location, whether to use comskip, etc, as well as saving the encoder format you used).

It still won't give you the 'nice' feature of being able to control download format per-item-in-queue, but hey, there's always another nice feature to add in the future...

Old 01-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #225
fatespawn

Yoav,

Thanks for continuing to tweak!

I know ffmpeg is only being "tested" now, but any reason it will only with with PyTivo? I would like to try another encoder for my G5 since Handbrake doesn't work (I'm on 10.4) and mencoder seems to take FOREVER...

-fate
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #226
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatespawn View Post
Yoav,

Thanks for continuing to tweak!

I know ffmpeg is only being "tested" now, but any reason it will only with with PyTivo? I would like to try another encoder for my G5 since Handbrake doesn't work (I'm on 10.4) and mencoder seems to take FOREVER...

-fate
Ermm.. nah there's nothing specifically in pyTivoX that makes it work. As long as you have a valid and working ffmpeg binary somewhere in your PATH, it will find it and use it -- however, you're on your own if it's missing any necessary libraries or whatnot.. (it will default to adding the pyTivoX location to PATH, so that it'll find ffmpeg there if nowhere else).

Also, there's a divx3 and an mpeg-1 encoder in there now, that should hopefully be MUCH faster to encode with if you're unhappy with the ffmpeg behavior.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #227
fatespawn

Thanks - I'll try it later. I only asked because of the *note - Must have PyTivoX installed for ffmpeg support.
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #228
doc659

Won't start downloading

Dear Yoav,

Thanks for the program. I can't seem to get it to download, though. My Tivo recordings show up in the now playing list. When I highlight and click Download (to the desktop) no file shows up, no downloading seems to commence. Am I doing something wrong?
doc659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #229
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc659 View Post
Dear Yoav,

Thanks for the program. I can't seem to get it to download, though. My Tivo recordings show up in the now playing list. When I highlight and click Download (to the desktop) no file shows up, no downloading seems to commence. Am I doing something wrong?
It sounds like you're doing everything right. Do you get any errors?
Is there a progress bar at the bottom? (sometimes downloads happen in stages, and nothing shows up until the last stage.. and even that's incomplete until the stage is done).

There is no button labelled "Download to the desktop". There's "Download Show" and "Download Now". I'm assuming you're clicking "Download Show"? (Download Now is part of the queue processing area.. and it doesn't sound like you're using the queue)

Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #230
Yoav

Quote:
iTivo works by using Broadcast packets to discover the Tivo. Broadcast packets don't traverse a router/NAT interface. Even if you log in using a VPN it sill won't work.

Best bet would be to simply log into your Tivo's web page and download the files that way and then manually convert them yourself. But remotely, this is going to take a long, long time. It will probably take 4 to 6 hours to download a single show if not longer.
Ermmm..
the broadcast packets are only necessary to automatically discover the tivo. The download itself happens over https (port 443, tcp). So, if you have a way of contacting the tivo from the outside (via port forwarding for example) then simply type in the tivo's IP address into "Tivo IP Address" text box, and click "connect to tivo". iTiVo will happily download shows for you (albeit very slowly)

Old 02-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #231
doc659

Quote:
Is there a progress bar at the bottom? (sometimes downloads happen in stages, and nothing shows up until the last stage.. and even that's incomplete until the stage is done).

There is no button labelled "Download to the desktop". There's "Download Show" and "Download Now". I'm assuming you're clicking "Download Show"? (Download Now is part of the queue processing area.. and it doesn't sound like you're using the queue)
There is no progress bar. I am hitting the "Download Show" button. Also tried putting in the Download queue and trying to download from there. Still no apparent result. The destination file is my Mac desktop. Shouldn't a file pop up on the desktop as soon as the download begins?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #232
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
There is no progress bar. I am hitting the "Download Show" button. Also tried putting in the Download queue and trying to download from there. Still no apparent result. The destination file is my Mac desktop. Shouldn't a file pop up on the desktop as soon as the download begins?
If I am not mistaken, shows initially download to /tmp -- they are only moved to the destination folder you specify (the desktop in your case) when transcoding is complete.

So iTiVo is probably working fine for you. To verify, start a download, then in the Finder choose Go > Go to Folder... and type /tmp. You should see an iTiVo folder in there containing a bunch of files timestamped with the time you started your download. Let iTiVo do its work and you'll find your show on the desktop as expected once it's done.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #233
Hobdul

Re-compression problems with archived clips

Yoav, thanks for your awesome work.

A question: I've downloaded shows using the Quicktime h.264 5Mbps setting (recommended for archiving), with commercials removed. These clips play fine in Quicktime and VLC.

However, when I go to compress the video clips using Handbrake (with the Apple universal preset), I run into problems. I'm able to load the clip as the source in Handbrake and begin the encoding process, but then Handbrake crashes almost immediately. This is repeatable.

I'm trying VisualHub now, so far no crashes, but I'm wondering what would cause Handbrake to choke on the clip output by iTiVo (I'd prefer to use Handbrake). Is there some output setting that needs to be tweaked for that h.264 5Mbps video setting? Sorry if this is a Handbrake problem that you can't help with.
Hobdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #234
doc659

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
If I am not mistaken, shows initially download to /tmp -- they are only moved to the destination folder you specify (the desktop in your case) when transcoding is complete.

So iTiVo is probably working fine for you. To verify, start a download, then in the Finder choose Go > Go to Folder... and type /tmp. You should see an iTiVo folder in there containing a bunch of files timestamped with the time you started your download. Let iTiVo do its work and you'll find your show on the desktop as expected once it's done.

OK, thanks for the suggestion. 15 minutes ago I selected a show to dowload and it does indeed show up in the tmp file, however after 15 minutes it is still showing 0 KB as the file size. Doesn't seem like it actually downloads.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #235
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
OK, thanks for the suggestion. 15 minutes ago I selected a show to dowload and it does indeed show up in the tmp file, however after 15 minutes it is still showing 0 KB as the file size. Doesn't seem like it actually downloads.
Just let it run. Depending on the length of the show, HD/SD, the post-download actions you take on it, commercial skip, etc., it can take a multiple of the show length to complete the process.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #236
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobdul View Post
However, when I go to compress the video clips using Handbrake (with the Apple universal preset), I run into problems. I'm able to load the clip as the source in Handbrake and begin the encoding process, but then Handbrake crashes almost immediately.
What version of macOS are you using? The handbrake encoder is 10.5 only...

Open up Terminal.app and run
Code:
/Applications/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/HandBrakeCLI
. Is it spitting out an error?

If you're on 10.5, the handbrake setting simply runs handbrake's encoder instead of mencoder. I can't really control it crashing . It might have managed to spit something useful into /tmp/iTiVo-<username>/iTivoDL2 ?

And no, I don't do anything 'special'. The file I provide to handbrake is a 'chopped up' version of the source mpeg-2. You can get the exact same contents of that file by choosing 'decrypt/copy' as the format. Then you can see what happens when you run handbrake on that file by hand...

Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #237
Yoav

Quote:
Ok, something is definitely wrong.
You *should* see a progress bar.
If you've selected to remove commercials, those files *should* grow (they will not grow if you don't use comskip).

Do you mind opening up Terminal.app, and typing:
Code:
tail -20 /tmp/iTiVo*/iTiVo.log
tail -20 /tmp/iTiVo*/iTiVoDL
tail -20 /tmp/iTiVo*/iTiVoDL2
(those are three seperate commands.. each should give you some output that I'd like to see.. *something* is wrong but it's not clear to me what yet). That said, you wouldn't normally see a file popping up on the desktop unless you don't have comskip and other features enabled. Basically, in the simplest mode, it encodes the data on the fly as it arrives, and so you get a partial file showing up. However, if you enable comskip, or certain encoders, it needs to run some processing on the whole movie, so it downloads it to /tmp/ first, and then does the processing. Your file won't show up on the desktop until it's on the last phase of the processing....

Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #238
doc659

"No such file or directory" is the response to all 3 commands in Terminal. I tried re-installing a new download of itivo and have the same problem.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #239
Yoav

Quote:
"No such file or directory" is the response to all 3 commands in Terminal. I tried re-installing a new download of itivo and have the same problem.
Hmm.. I'm thinking iTiVo is having trouble writing to /tmp/, which might explain the problems? Try these commands:

Code:
 ls -l /tmp
 ls -l /tmp/
 ls -l /tmp/iT*

Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #240
doc659

Here is what I got:

T-Chus-Computer:~ L Karman$ ls -l /tmp
lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root admin 11 Mar 26 2008 /tmp -> private/tmp
T-Chus-Computer:~ L Karman$ ls -l /tmp/
total 0
srwxrwxrwx 1 root wheel 0 Feb 2 11:37 ARD_ABJMMRT
srw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0 Feb 2 09:31 HP_Photosmart C3100 series_CN71UC21TY04KV_HP-COMMAND_3300
-rw-r--r-- 1 L Karman wheel 0 Jan 30 22:55 MobileSync.lock.898bd1271bd49b073c0b711a2e91342cbc0ca9a5
srwxrwxrwx 1 L Karman wheel 0 Jan 30 20:37 com.hp.launchport
drwxr-xr-x 3 L Karman wheel 102 Feb 2 17:26 hsperfdata_L Karman
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 2 12:26 hsperfdata_root
prw-r--r-- 1 L Karman wheel 0 Feb 3 18:25 iTiVo-L
srwxr-xr-x 1 L Karman wheel 0 Jan 30 21:01 ics158
srwxr-xr-x 1 L Karman wheel 0 Jan 30 21:13 ics172
srwxr-xr-x 1 L Karman wheel 0 Jan 30 21:01 icssuis503
drwx------ 3 L Karman wheel 102 Jan 30 20:37 launch-K4bRYS
drwx------ 3 L Karman wheel 102 Jan 30 20:37 launch-U88pUU
drwx------ 3 L Karman wheel 102 Jan 30 20:37 launch-eeAci2
drwx------ 3 L Karman wheel 102 Jan 30 20:37 launchd-68.koHFCL
T-Chus-Computer:~ L Karman$ ls -l /tmp/iT*