TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #271
snakpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing2001 View Post
I received a letter from Oceanic saying my pre-ordered tuning adapter is available, to call and schedule an install. The letter also said the Tuning Adapter (TA) is free. Friday (1/30/09) a tech will be coming by to do the install. Hopefully all goes well...
I feel so relieved that I can finally blab that I've been beta testing the TA for the past month. I picked it up from my buddy at Oceanic and installed it myself. At first it seemed like the SDV HD channels weren't working, but then I realized that I didn't have the HD Pak on my cable cards. Once I got that enabled, everything just works like its supposed to.

It's a beautiful thing.

snakpak
snakpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #272
rover1

Arrow My TA install did not go so well today

I called Oceanic on Saturday evening after getting my letter in the mail and the lady set me up for TA install this afternoon between 1450-1650. The guy(s) called about 1310 and said they could be here by 1330---earlier than expected but more than welcome. There was one Oceanic guy and a new contract guy with him in training. The Oceanic guy said that I was his first install and that actually they were supposed to set up the installs starting next week and the installers would get about 5 days notice before an install....but since they had promised me today, he had gone to Mililani to get the TA and got a quick training session. Final outcome is that they did the install and called back to HQ to get the hit....the 1st person they talked with had no clue so he told her to just forget it and he would go through the team. When he got those folks, the first lady had removed the work order.....so they got that straightened out and we got hit and had a period of 8 blinks....some more phone calls went back and forth and we finally got the steady light on the TA....and the Tivo HDXL screen showed a TA hooked up......but none of the SDV channels would come in....just a grey screen. After some more calls they did another hit and we actually removed power to TA and repowered it up. Back to the solid light.....but no SDV channels at all. They were stumped and finally left about 1530--they are going to have someone come over tomorrow and check out the building (???) and also my wiring....after they left I do notice that all the lower analog channel numbers and channels like Court TV 119 and HLN 111 are now rather fuzzy. In the diagnostics pages for the TA there is a spot that says SDV channel=98 and another spot says Analog=no. He did say that I am probably only the 2nd one on Oahu so that may explain a lot of the problems (learning curves, etc). Any suggestions of anything I might do tonight to get myself up and running or should I just leave it until tomorrow (or whenever). I would hate to think it is something rather simple that could be fixed remotely. Other than that, it's a nice day in Waikiki.
Bill

FWIW....all my channels come in fine on the Oceanic DVR........
rover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #273
bueller555

Reboot from the Tivo menu? http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...26#post7021626
bueller555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #274
snakpak

rover1 -

Definitely try rebooting the Tivo. I did that several times when I was trying to debug my missing HD channels. It turned out that the channels were missing for another reason (no HD Pak on the CCs), so I don't know if rebooting actually did anything, but it can't hurt.

What SDV channels did you try? Remember that the on-demand, music choice, and other "special" packages won't work with the TA. And your HD channels won't work unless you have the HD Entertainment Pak enabled on your cable cards.

I don't play much with the analog channels, but for sure you should be able to get 1108 (Fox Business Network HD) and 1325 (Travel Channel HD) with the TA even if you don't have the HD Pak.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #275
Todd B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakpak View Post
I feel so relieved that I can finally blab that I've been beta testing the TA for the past month.
Haha, you must the one guy that he said they had testing it in the field. I omitted that from my reports before, because it was a little disconcerting that only one person was real-world testing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover1 View Post
He did say that I am probably only the 2nd one on Oahu so that may explain a lot of the problems (learning curves, etc).
I thought about calling to try to bump up my install date, but now I think I'll leave it as is. Thanks for working out all the bugs in their procedures, Bill. (and for the report)
Todd B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #276
rover1

Smile

Quote:
rover1 -

Definitely try rebooting the Tivo. I did that several times when I was trying to debug my missing HD channels. It turned out that the channels were missing for another reason (no HD Pak on the CCs), so I don't know if rebooting actually did anything, but it can't hurt.
Duh.....I called Oceanic this evening and asked if my cablecard was auth for HD PAK....she said no--only the Oceanic DVR and an HD box attached to my PC. I said that might be the whole problem....she went away for some while and came back to tell me that I needed to be aware before she sent the auth for HD PAK to my card that it would only allow me to receive the local network channels 1003-1010 (which I was already getting). I told her yes and to please send the signal. Immediately all my SDV channels came in fine.....I haven't been through them all yet since I am recording something right now but at 2200 I will reboot everything and then go through all the channels to see if anything is missing.

If everything remains on tomorrow morning I will cancel the return visit by the installers.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I appreciate it more than you know.

Bill
Old 01-27-2009, 01:55 AM   #277
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
Haha, you must the one guy that he said they had testing it in the field. I omitted that from my reports before, because it was a little disconcerting that only one person was real-world testing it.
Well, think about how many Sereis III TiVo subscribers there are in the system. How many subs (total) does Oceanic have? It's possible there may be fewer than 100 Series III class TiVos in all their plant.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #278
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, think about how many Sereis III TiVo subscribers there are in the system. How many subs (total) does Oceanic have? It's possible there may be fewer than 100 Series III class TiVos in all their plant.
yes, it's possible. whenever somebody comes to my house they are baffled by my s3 + cc.

Sometimes I think I must be the only person on Maui using CCs. Nobody wants to talk about when there's a problem and there's usually a huge disconnect between the people at the call center and the service people. (oh, it's a cable card setup. they didn't tell us that.)

My TA install is scheduled for Feb 3. I can't believe when I got the callback the person on the other end insisted on me giving her some sort of PIN number, which I had no idea what it was. "Sir, we need the PIN for your protection to change your account". Me: "I'm not changing my account." "Sir, it's for your own protection" ... and so on and so on. I hate dealing with OTW.

I'm still not getting some of the non-sdv channels on my s3. (1005, 85, 87, 88, and a bunch more). I know the TA probably won't fix that problem either. We'll see. I only get K5 on channel 5 now. It's a good thing I don't watch it very often.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #279
snakpak

Quote:
Actually, my understanding is that I was number 2 in the state.

rover1 - glad to read that you've got your SDV HD channels working! If you're using two cable cards, you may want to go into the Tivo's tuning adapter menu to test that both cards get all the channels you're supposed to get. Enjoy!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #280
Todd B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It's actually around 700 on Oahu, if Oceanic's FCC filing is to be believed.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #281
s1_junkie

Happy, happy, joy, joy. OTW delivered my TA today (I'm in Kona).

Seemed to work. I signed up for HD Pak and did some testing. Mostly works, but I have 3 channels that are always black, and 3 more that intermittently give the message "Temporarily Unavailable, press Select again". And indeed pressing Select brings the channel in. Resetting TiVoHD did not change the behavior.

Started dialog with OTW, if anybody has any hints or suggestions please fire away.
s1_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #282
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
Cable co's have to continue to carry analog cable until 2012.
For the OTA stations.. only if they don't go _entirely_ digital.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #283
Icarus

Quote:
It's actually around 700 on Oahu, if Oceanic's FCC filing is to be believed.
CC users, or S3 users with CCs? Do they really break it down to the device level?

How many on Maui? 1?

-David
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #284
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1_junkie View Post
Happy, happy, joy, joy. OTW delivered my TA today (I'm in Kona).

Seemed to work. I signed up for HD Pak and did some testing. Mostly works, but I have 3 channels that are always black, and 3 more that intermittently give the message "Temporarily Unavailable, press Select again". And indeed pressing Select brings the channel in. Resetting TiVoHD did not change the behavior.

Started dialog with OTW, if anybody has any hints or suggestions please fire away.
That would suck if tivo tried to record a program from one of those. Which channels? Keep us posted, please. Thanks.

-David
Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #285
s2krazy

Quote:
My truck roll is scheduled for Feb. 4 install of TA.

I recommend that you call and schedule yours ASAP. My Oceanic contact indicated to me last week that they had a limited number of TA's on island.

I'm not sure what she's talking about. Nothing I've heard at all corroborates any of that.
Sounds like I got bum information..... sigh.... typical! I'm glad some are getting their TAs. Can't wait for them to have one for me!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #286
Todd B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
CC users, or S3 users with CCs? Do they really break it down to the device level?
CC subscribers, but wouldn't you imagine 99% of deployed CC's are in Tivos?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:51 AM   #287
Icarus

Quote:
CC subscribers, but wouldn't you imagine 99% of deployed CC's are in Tivos?
The original question was about S3s. Whatever. It doesn't matter. You answered the question. Thanks.

-David
Old 01-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #288
HawaiiTivoLover

Aloha! So happy to hear that the TA's are finally being installed, and jealous cause I was late signing up and way down on the list. So here's the question I'm almost afraid to ask:
Did Oceanic straighten out the CC/HD pack/Duplicate Services Double billing problem? I spent so many frustrating hours with oceanic back in the day trying to figure it out and hope they made a more reasonable pricing.
Mahalo, and enjoy having HD back on yout Tivo.
HawaiiTivoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #289
rover1

Current status with the TA

We're almost there. As of today the only problems remaining with my TA install is that MGM channel 1561 seems to have audio stutter almost all the time. It did it for the guys who came yesterday to check signal strength and do some minimal rewiring. (They also checked grainy reception on analog channels and the ones like 119 which are just remapped analog channels--per the installer. They checked main connections into the building and then they called and said they had tracked it back to some problem on Paoakalani Ave.....the same spot that got all messed up with the last power outage that knocked out cable for about a day.---area by Jefferson School in Waikiki). Now all analog channels are very clear.....the only thing missing now is Cinemax HD....channel 1622. When the guy calls back this afternoon to see if Encore package is working after he had the head end hit the cable card yesterday afternoon (it is working today) I will ask him to have them reauth Cinemax and see if the HD 1622 will work...if it does and we get the audio stutter fixed on 1561 I will be one happy camper. It's been a bit of a hassle with little things adding up but I must commend both the installers that originally came on Monday and the new pair that came yesterday....they were most helpful. Had some problems with calling in to the offices myself but since everything is so very new to them, I guess I can understand their lack of knowledge regarding the TIVO and the TA. Nobody has really badmouthed the Tivo itself.

BTW...my Tivo is the HDXL and there is 1 multi-stream cable card.

Bill--almost
Old 01-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #290
HawaiiTivoLover

Just got a return call with an installation date and confirmed that they plan on charging duplicate service charge PER CableCard (2x$8) plus a $3 charge for additional CC card. So it costs at least $11 extra to have a functioning series 3 vs multistream tivoHD/XL.
Thats not right. Any Ideas how to fight this?
Here we go again.

Last edited by HawaiiTivoLover : 01-28-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #291
HawaiiTivoLover

Quote:
I feel so relieved that I can finally blab that I've been beta testing the TA for the past month. I picked it up from my buddy at Oceanic and installed it myself. At first it seemed like the SDV HD channels weren't working, but then I realized that I didn't have the HD Pak on my cable cards. Once I got that enabled, everything just works like its supposed to.

It's a beautiful thing.

snakpak
Since you are a beta tester, any chance you can relay to someone at Oceanic to revise their CC charges.(see my previous post).
Mahalo
Old 01-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #292
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiTivoLover View Post
Just got a return call with an installation date and confirmed that they plan on charging duplicate service charge PER CableCard (2x$8) plus a $3 charge for additional CC card. So it costs at least $11 extra to have a functioning series 3 vs multistream tivoHD/XL.
Here we go again.
Nothing new there. That's the way it's always been with them.

BTW, it's more than $11. You have to pay for the HD package for each outlet. They consider the 2nd CC an additional outlet. You will probably pay the duplicate service fee + HD Package for the 2nd and subsequent CCs. If you pay the duplicate service fee, you don't end up paying the $3 CC rental fee.

The only way out of it is to have a single multi-stream card, which of course doesn't work for those of us that have an S3.

The reason it doesn't seem fair is that with their own dual-channel HD DVR, you would only pay 1 duplicate service fee + 1 HD package fee for the entire device, which has similar capabilities as the S3.

I think the difference is about $16 a month, plus taxes and fees.

-David
Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #293
lrhorer

That blows chunks. I suggest you complain to your local franchise authority, pointing out you only have one device, not two, and that the exact same services on the CATV leased unit and on THDs get charged for only one outlet. I would also point out that while you can record on two different channels (just like the TWC DVR), you cannot watch two different channels simultaneously. The second CableCard is probably a wash, but the second outlet fee should not be.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #294
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

TA Install Tomorrow

Quote:
We're almost there. As of today the only problems remaining with my TA install is that MGM channel 1561 seems to have audio stutter almost all the time. It did it for the guys who came yesterday to check signal strength and do some minimal rewiring. (They also checked grainy reception on analog channels and the ones like 119 which are just remapped analog channels--per the installer. They checked main connections into the building and then they called and said they had tracked it back to some problem on Paoakalani Ave.....the same spot that got all messed up with the last power outage that knocked out cable for about a day.---area by Jefferson School in Waikiki). Now all analog channels are very clear.....the only thing missing now is Cinemax HD....channel 1622. When the guy calls back this afternoon to see if Encore package is working after he had the head end hit the cable card yesterday afternoon (it is working today) I will ask him to have them reauth Cinemax and see if the HD 1622 will work...if it does and we get the audio stutter fixed on 1561 I will be one happy camper. It's been a bit of a hassle with little things adding up but I must commend both the installers that originally came on Monday and the new pair that came yesterday....they were most helpful. Had some problems with calling in to the offices myself but since everything is so very new to them, I guess I can understand their lack of knowledge regarding the TIVO and the TA. Nobody has really badmouthed the Tivo itself.

BTW...my Tivo is the HDXL and there is 1 multi-stream cable card.

Bill--almost
Bill - Oceanic is coming out tomorrow to install my TA. Any words of advice to make the install go smoothly?

Thanks,
Tony
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #295
rover1

Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing2001 View Post
Bill - Oceanic is coming out tomorrow to install my TA. Any words of advice to make the install go smoothly?

Thanks,
Tony
Hi Tony.....here's hoping that all goes well with your install....I think that if you're sure that your cable card is authorized for everything you're supposed to be getting (mine actually wasn't and I didn't know it right away) then the physical install is really nothing......just hook up some wires. Do you already have the CC installed? My installer just called to see if the stuttering audio on 1561 was fixed--it isn't, but playing with pause/play one or more times will clear it up at least until I change channels...and also to see if I get Cinemax HD yet--and I don't. I asked if maybe they could authorize for either Starz or TMC (which I don't subscribe to) for a half hour or so to see if the HD channel for it will authorize--if it does then it would seem there is something wrong with the Cinemax HD channel reception on the TIVO. I understand that the TA may not be able to receive -every- TWC SDV channel and it might be that Cinemax HD/Starz HD/TMC HD just won't work no matter what. If that's the case I always have the normal Cinemax anyway and I could live with that--but if it's supposed to work and doesn't, then it would be worth following up on. He did suggest that maybe it is the CC itself (who knows?) so they are bringing a new card tomorrow at 1300 to try out---I just told him to be sure that it is a Multistream card and not 2 Singlestream ones.

So I wish you good luck and an easy install......I must say that the tech guys in the field have been more than helpful with their followup work. I have no complaints in that department. They really are going the extra mile for me.

Bill
Old 01-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #296
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

Quote:
Hi Tony.....here's hoping that all goes well with your install....I think that if you're sure that your cable card is authorized for everything you're supposed to be getting (mine actually wasn't and I didn't know it right away) then the physical install is really nothing......just hook up some wires. Do you already have the CC installed? My installer just called to see if the stuttering audio on 1561 was fixed--it isn't, but playing with pause/play one or more times will clear it up at least until I change channels...and also to see if I get Cinemax HD yet--and I don't. I asked if maybe they could authorize for either Starz or TMC (which I don't subscribe to) for a half hour or so to see if the HD channel for it will authorize--if it does then it would seem there is something wrong with the Cinemax HD channel reception on the TIVO. I understand that the TA may not be able to receive -every- TWC SDV channel and it might be that Cinemax HD/Starz HD/TMC HD just won't work no matter what. If that's the case I always have the normal Cinemax anyway and I could live with that--but if it's supposed to work and doesn't, then it would be worth following up on. He did suggest that maybe it is the CC itself (who knows?) so they are bringing a new card tomorrow at 1300 to try out---I just told him to be sure that it is a Multistream card and not 2 Singlestream ones.

So I wish you good luck and an easy install......I must say that the tech guys in the field have been more than helpful with their followup work. I have no complaints in that department. They really are going the extra mile for me.

Bill

Bill - I've been using my TiVo Series 3 with cablecards for over a year now without issue. I did in the past subscribe to STARZ until they made the STARZ HD channel an SDV channel, so I canceled STARZ. Now that the TA has come, I asked Oceanic to add STARZ and the HD Entertainment Pak effective tomorrow. I'll let you know if I have any issues with STARZ tomorrow...

Thanks,
Tony
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #297
s1_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiTivoLover View Post
Here we go again.
Grrr.

Perhaps you could point out to the State Regulator that OTW, for the same service charges different prices according to the model of TiVo their customer has. Significantly more money for users of an older TiVo. For the same service that can't be right.

Strangely the message OTW is sending is 'get a newer TiVo'! Perhaps OTW has a new attitude
Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #298
s1_junkie

Quote:
That would suck if tivo tried to record a program from one of those. Which channels? Keep us posted, please. Thanks.

-David
Truck roll will be Friday, first step in a process, issues are:

'Temporally Unavailable, press SELECT...': <intermittent problem>
1226 FOXHD
1331 TLCHD
1557 SCIFIHD
-- my speculation is this is a head end SDV configuration problem (local to Kona if nobody else gets it). The message is similar to the SDV timeout message (since after some timeout SDV has no way to know if you are still watching, and if it needs capacity, it must ask). Might be a local hack to address a poorly sized sub-network. But a timeout of zero means SDV is not transparent when channel surfing which cant be right.

Black screen with strong signal:
646 SUNDANCE
1248 BIG10HD
-- my speculation is channel enabling problem, some dweeb misconfigured....

Black screen with weak signal:
1224 ESPNHD2
-- probably some local signal strength thing

Stuttering sound
1561 MGMHD
-- tech tells me this is widespread

Will let you know when I get some resolution, and the magic words that name each issue if I hear them.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #299
Todd B.

Here's where to complain:

http://hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/catv/complaint/

It might be helpful to write a letter to Oceanic management first and see what they say and then include that correspondence in the complaint. It seems to me that the "equality" angle (with Oceanic's own DVR service) is the best way to approach the issue. It might be worthwhile to try to find out how other TWC franchises handle the charges for multiple CC's in a single device and include that information in both your Oceanic letter and the CATV complaint.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #300
snakpak

Quote:
Nothing new there. That's the way it's always been with them.

BTW, it's more than $11. You have to pay for the HD package for each outlet. They consider the 2nd CC an additional outlet. You will probably pay the duplicate service fee + HD Package for the 2nd and subsequent CCs. If you pay the duplicate service fee, you don't end up paying the $3 CC rental fee.

The only way out of it is to have a single multi-stream card, which of course doesn't work for those of us that have an S3.

The reason it doesn't seem fair is that with their own dual-channel HD DVR, you would only pay 1 duplicate service fee + 1 HD package fee for the entire device, which has similar capabilities as the S3.

I think the difference is about $16 a month, plus taxes and fees.

-David
On my bill, for the 2nd CC, I'm paying the $8 duplication fee plus $3.50 for the additional HD Pak, so $11.50 total.