TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #241
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Ah, now that's interesting. VLC supports rtsp. Let me try it the naive way in HME/VLC and see what happens...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #242
herbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Ah, now that's interesting. VLC supports rtsp. Let me try it the naive way in HME/VLC and see what happens...
My experience with VLC's RTP/RTSP *output* is that it's very shaky. In this case, you'd have to get the TiVo to request an rtsp stream that would be served out. What's your vlc sout string look like?
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #243
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

So far no good...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #244
moyekj

I don't have a Tivo/Netflix network sniffing file dump handy but from what I recall it was all HTTP based

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #245
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I don't have a Tivo/Netflix network sniffing file dump handy but from what I recall it was all HTTP based
I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking into this, but it did look HTTP based to me:
HTTP GET /zzz/yyyyyyyyyy.wmv?etime=xxxxxxx&encoded=xxxxxxxxxxxxx
EDIT: Decided since I don't really know what all of this means, probably better not to post the complete URL

Last edited by kearygriffin : 01-27-2009 at 03:07 PM.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #246
jmemmott

Quote:
Using HTTP as a carrier does not preclude the use of RTSP. Http tunneling is often used to traverse firewalls. The question is really whether the media is sent as a progressive download or as a RTSP conversation. I don't have an answer about the Tivo because I have not tried to watch the streams going in and out but RTSP would be consistent with the DRM practices Netflix uses elsewhere.

(http://www.streamingmedia.com/article.asp?id=10790&c=4)
"HTTP streaming via Windows Media Services is straightforward, including live streaming, using the Windows Media HTTP Streaming Protocol. In explaining the HTTP Streaming Protocol, Microsoft notes the best use for this type of delivery. Besides the ability to push video streaming content through port 80, which is open on many firewalls to allow traditional web traffic that is delivered via HTTP, the Microsoft HTTP Streaming Protocol "is suitable for streaming delivery at a fixed rate or at a data rate correlating closely to rate at which the video will be displayed by the receiver.""

"This protocol, like other streaming protocols, also allows back-channel communications between the server and the client, allowing the client player to send feedback to the server to change the transmission rate to a secondary stream, which is referred to as "intelligent streaming" or "adaptive streaming.""

"In addition, on Windows Media files, HTTP streaming can also be used to send commands like fast-forward, rewind, pause, or location seek (also called click-byte or range request)."

jmemmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #247
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Reading the "PyTivo" .txt files

Thanks for all the hard work already done on this project. It is really taking shape and looks nice.

I know it was mentioned that moyekj had some prilimiary support for the PyTivo .txt meta files in his streaming application. I was hoping that his initial work could be added to Streambaby to read the .txt files and display them to the screen if they are present.

Along with the request to read the TXT file would be to have a new icon name/value pair added to the txt file that could point at a "box" image for the movie.

I am a developer and have contributed to PyTivo, written a plugin for it, and done other work so if your time is booked perhaps I can take a look at this if there is interest.

Thanks for your efforts!

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #248
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Odd behavior when paused

I was watching a show (via streambaby 0.19a) this evening, and paused it. I had to leave it paused for a few minutes. When I came back, live TV was playing! To make sure one of our dogs hadn't stepped on the remote, I tested it again - and after 5 (?) minutes on pause, my Tivo HD switched over to live TV again.

Is this a known problem? Or is my Tivo just odd?
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #249
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
I was watching a show (via streambaby 0.19a) this evening, and paused it. I had to leave it paused for a few minutes. When I came back, live TV was playing! To make sure one of our dogs hadn't stepped on the remote, I tested it again - and after 5 (?) minutes on pause, my Tivo HD switched over to live TV again.

Is this a known problem? Or is my Tivo just odd?
There's code in there from moyekj's original tivostream that is supposed (I think) prevent that by sending a signal to the tivo every 4 seconds or so.

Now having said that, I think there may be a case when this doesn't work. (I didn't think of it in this context till I saw westsides message). It is only activated when we are receiving events from the TiVo which is usually the case, as it is updating us with the current playing pos/duration/etc.

However, I think there is a case when the tivo has hit either the end of it's 1.1g buffer or the end of the file where it stops sending events when paused. (Because neither the duration nor the playing position is changing at that point). In this instance I think the TiVo may time out after a while and switch to live TV.

I'll have to look and see if there is anything I can do about this, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to fix.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #250
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Didn't Adobe just publish the official specs for RTSP, sans DRM?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #251
herbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
Didn't Adobe just publish the official specs for RTSP, sans DRM?
They published specs for a flash-related streaming protocol. RTSP is long standardized and available. MS's implementation of it for Windows Media Services (for server 2003 and server 2008) is a little "enhanced", as they usually do.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #252
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
There's code in there from moyekj's original tivostream that is supposed (I think) prevent that by sending a signal to the tivo every 4 seconds or so.
Oh yeah, I always meant to comment on that... it's a misfeature. Here's what you're currently doing:

Code:
// Prevent timeout by sending acknowledge signal every few mins
if (date > timeout_idle) {
    getApp().acknowledgeIdle(true);
    timeout_idle = date + 4000;
}
This is in the middle of handleEvent(). So, you only acknowledge an idle event if it's been more than four seconds since the last time you did; if you happened to get more than one event within four seconds, the second event would be ignored (and the TiVo would drop the connection). Moreover, you don't actually acknowledge idle events at all, but rather any event that comes outside of four seconds from the last time you did it. This is all wrong.

The right thing to do is to just handle the idle event. Here's how I did it in HME/VLC:

Code:
def handle_idle(self, idle):
    if idle and not self.stream.speed:
        if self.app.using_vlc:
            vlc.stop()
            self.app.using_vlc = False
    return bool(self.stream.speed)
In my case, as you can see, I'm intentionally not handling idle events when the stream is paused. But I'm getting annoyed with the results, so I'll probably change that.

In your case, you should probably just take out those lines, and add something like this (not tested):

Code:
public boolean handleIdle(boolean isIdle) {
    if (isIdle) {
        getApp().acknowledgeIdle(true);
    }

return true;
}

Last edited by wmcbrine : 01-28-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #253
kearygriffin

Re: Idle timeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Oh yeah, I always meant to comment on that... it's a misfeature.
Thanks, I definitely would have "fixed" it the wrong way (and in a far more complicated way). I never realized (never looked) that there was an actual "EVT_IDLE" event.

I've put in the code you suggested and will try it out tonight. Basically the logic (if I understand it correctly), assuming I want to always acknowledge idle and not timeout, is in the handle event loop:
Code:
If event.code == EVT_IDLE then acknowledge idle
EDIT: Of course after trying this and looking into it more, I'm wrong again, and should have actually looked closer at what you said and the HME. Fixed.

Last edited by kearygriffin : 01-28-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #254
jasa

kearygriffin I just wanted to say how much I like what you are doing and that your application rocks !!!!!! although I like to have some minor fixes: first I would love to see some more format support added and also audio formats as well, I have been testing this app or about a week and I really love that you guys found a way to overcome 1.1G limit, but there has been times when it plays some .avi files and gives me incomparable video stream on others, also I would really like to have .flv format supported and maybe add an ability to stream over internet. other than that if you guys work a little on high def menu it will be the best app ever.

Once again I think that your application is one of the reasons people should by tivo )))
I am very thankful for all the hard work you guys putt into this app and I will also try to lep out with minor fixes i Might do myself )))
jasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #255
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa View Post
but there has been times when it plays some .avi files and gives me incomparable video stream on others, also I would really like to have .flv format supported
That's the beauty of these apps that use ffmpeg in the background ... theoretically any format your build of ffmpeg can support, these apps can pass thru (i.e., transcode) for the TiVo.

That being said, my build of ffmpeg on Ubuntu has .flv support. I was able to transcode an .flv through pyTivo just fine. But even after adding flv to the extensions list of my streambaby.ini file, streambaby says it's an incompatible video stream.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #256
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
That being said, my build of ffmpeg on Ubuntu has .flv support. I was able to transcode an .flv through pyTivo just fine. But even after adding flv to the extensions list of my streambaby.ini file, streambaby says it's an incompatible video stream.
Yeah, I was being a little to conservative on what I let ffmpeg try to transcode. The next version will have the spigots opened wider to attempt any format. (The current version can actually do FLV with the correct INI options, but it's probably just easier to wait a day or so for the next version).

I also added FLV to the default extensions list.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #257
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Yeah, I was being a little to conservative on what I let ffmpeg try to transcode. The next version will have the spigots opened wider to attempt any format. (The current version can actually do FLV with the correct INI options, but it's probably just easier to wait a day or so for the next version).

I also added FLV to the default extensions list.
While you're adding, can you add .m4v (mp4 container, pretty much what apple uses for h.264/ac3 streams).

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:02 AM   #258
milkrun
Milk Run

Success

I'm now running pyTivoX 1.1b4 the application is now appearing in the app list and I can stream movies.

Some strangeness is occuring when I start playing the movie, the signal that the tivo sends is so strange that the TV or my receiver is losing sync. This results in my plasma showing static but I still hear the audio thru the speakers. If I switch to DVD and switch back, I get the stream and the audio again and the movie looks good. I haven't watched an entire movie, but it did fine for the 10 minutes I watched.

One nitpick I have is that the filenames in Streambaby show the extensions. In this case, .mp4. In pyTivoX they are removed.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #259
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkrun View Post
One nitpick I have is that the filenames in Streambaby show the extensions. In this case, .mp4. In pyTivoX they are removed.
I don't know about pyTivoX but that's a setting in the streambaby.ini file (trimextensions= (default:false)).

|
Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #260
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I don't know about pyTivoX but that's a setting in the streambaby.ini file (trimextensions= (default:false)).
Ok I'll drop the extensions in the next release.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #261
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkrun View Post
Some strangeness is occuring when I start playing the movie, the signal that the tivo sends is so strange that the TV or my receiver is losing sync. This results in my plasma showing static but I still hear the audio thru the speakers. If I switch to DVD and switch back, I get the stream and the audio again and the movie looks good. I haven't watched an entire movie, but it did fine for the 10 minutes I watched.
The first 10 seconds of a stream is 'weird' (people generally see blockiness/no picture/green/an older movie..) I'm guessing your TV or receiver is unhappy enough with that sort of input that it's freaking out. I'm not sure if that will ever be resolved though (it sounds like it's some issue with how the h.264 stream is decoded in the tivo, involving some buffering of old data?). There may be a workaround possible, but I don't know of one...

Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #262
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
The first 10 seconds of a stream is 'weird' (people generally see blockiness/no picture/green/an older movie..) ...
I'm not sure if that will ever be resolved though (it sounds like it's some issue with how the h.264 stream is decoded in the tivo, involving some buffering of old data?). There may be a workaround possible, but I don't know of one...
I have a couple of videos that show this problem, and they are all encoded with Handbrake.

I've added a few things to help minimize the problem, but don't think it solves the issue all of the time.

The problematic videos also seem to have problems with other players.
mplayer: Plays fine, but playing with mplayer -ss 0.01 file.mp4 gives green stuff and h264 decoding errors.
vlc: Sometimes gives green stuff in the beginning. From the results I get it seems like it's accessing uninitialized data, because the first time I play I get green, but then it gets hard to reproduce.

So it seems that at least certain combinations of Handbrake and various players is causing some issues, only with the beginning of the stream. I'm not sure what the issue is. It may be the handbrake is doing something completely legal in the files, but some players aren't equipped to handle it well.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #263
Sicklybutsexy

There's no way to get this program to support closed captions is there? It has become my primary mode of adding .srt subtitles to movies using T2sami (very easy and quick ie...no re-encoding).
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #264
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
The first 10 seconds of a stream is 'weird' (people generally see blockiness/no picture/green/an older movie..) I'm guessing your TV or receiver is unhappy enough with that sort of input that it's freaking out. I'm not sure if that will ever be resolved though (it sounds like it's some issue with how the h.264 stream is decoded in the tivo, involving some buffering of old data?). There may be a workaround possible, but I don't know of one...
Well, thing is - tivostream doesn't have this problem with the exact same files. So it's apparently due to something streambaby is doing differently than tivostream did.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #265
jmemmott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
There's no way to get this program to support closed captions is there? It has become my primary mode of adding .srt subtitles to movies using T2sami (very easy and quick ie...no re-encoding).
All my attempts to date lead to the conclusion you can't. It is not the fault of the streaming programs. Rather it appear that the Tivo does not support the caption decoder when it is processing streamed video. Even streaming a .tivo source file which we know contains captions as an mpeg will not display captions.

As an interim solutions, t2sami can use mencoder to process the .srt to open captions in an mpeg that can be streamed but that does require reencoding the video.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #266
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmemmott View Post
All my attempts to date lead to the conclusion you can't. It is not the fault of the streaming programs. Rather it appear that the Tivo does not support the caption decoder when it is processing streamed video. Even streaming a .tivo source file which we know contains captions as an mpeg will not display captions.

As an interim solutions, t2sami can use mencoder to process the .srt to open captions in an mpeg that can be streamed but that does require reencoding the video.
It is possible for a streaming application such as streambaby to read a helper srt file and display the captions. Probably the biggest issue though would be getting proper sync with video & text since the event granularity is not well defined. For example, Keary has mentioned this before that indication of current position in the stream for H.264 can be off by as much as 8 seconds or so. Also for cases when text needs to change rapidly there may not be enough granularity/resolution to display them properly.
I haven't spent any time trying to implement it but I suspect at least a poor man's version is possible but the question would be is it worth the time investment when the outcome may be dubious.
Another question is I don't know how accurate .srt file generation is. Obviously if there are problems there then there's no way you can ever keep video+text in sync.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #267
jmemmott

Quote:
I haven't spent any time trying to implement it but I suspect at least a poor man's version is possible but the question would be is it worth the time investment when the outcome may be dubious.
Another question is I don't know how accurate .srt file generation is. Obviously if there are problems there then there's no way you can ever keep video+text in sync.
I am in basic agreement. When the helper approach was first put forward, my belief was that the sync problems would be great enough that it would be a serious irratation to those who rely on captions - much like out of sync sound is for the hearing population.

As far at the accuracy of the .srt files, they are as good as the caption editor makes them. When I convert to/from closed captions, I can get frame accurate placement of the starting point. When they come from anime and fansubs, my experience is that there is equal care in locating them carefully.

This is one of the reasons (along with the GB limit) that I have been hoping that the Netflix streaming mode will bear fruit and have been pursuing the production side of that problem. When fully implemented in the Tivo and Silverlight Players, it will provide full support for captioning that is as accurate as closed captioning in broadcast video is capable of being.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #268
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

After a Google search, I found out that ffmpeg has been successfully ported to Solaris 10. I'll need a bunch of gcc software (normally found on my Unix machines but since I recently rebuilt it, I'm starting from scratch) and the source from svn. But after all that, I think I can get streambaby to run on it with all features, much like Linux.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #269
ajayabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayabb View Post
Ffmpeg still won't launch.
Well I finally got it running with Galleon. Thanks for everybody's help. My biggest challenge was getting ffmpeg to launch. I was able to stream mpeg videos without a problem, but for some reason I was unable to launch ffmpeg thru Galleon. I finally decided to download a new ffmpeg build and scripted ffmpeg.path=C:\programfiles\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe (in my case) under the .ini folder. All is good now!

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby

Last edited by ajayabb : 01-29-2009 at 08:58 PM.
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #270
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayabb View Post
Well I finally got it running with Galleon.
Do you get thumbnails when FF'ing? I just noticed I get a gray screen with just the timecode in it so I'm wondering if my instructions are still lacking.

|