TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

So we gave some feedback but have not heard from TiVo inc.

So we gave a bunch of feedback here.
I am wondering what TiVo associates think of the feedback and will we see any changes to the HME app anytime soon
Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

A bit impatient, if you ask me...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
turbobozz

Tivo employees have been responding in this forum... did you not notice?
They're certainly reading and paying attention from their posts.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

yes, I have seen the replies.

There are long threads on suggested features and changes with no replies however. So I am simply wondering what Tivo inc. thinks of the ideas tossed around here.

Also the HME app was a good vehicle for being bale to make changes simply to the app on the server and we could all see them right away. Have any changes been made yet?

This is not foot stamping or pouting, just wondering on what is next for this open beta. Also this was timed to coincide with some resolution on the S1 issues that were rightfully keeping some of the same folks busy on different matters.

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 01-27-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
nrc
Cracker Soul

I doubt that you're ever going to get a "That's a great idea, we'll do that." Companies are just too coy about exactly what features they're going to deliver in a new product. Right now I think they'll fix the bugs (some of which we've heard about here) and serious issues that are reported. Feature suggestions will probably (hopefully) be filed away for future consideration.

Not entirely square
Old 01-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

We're busy working on another update, and the feedback has been very useful. We have been listening, and responding, and we've already made some changes and tweaks (remember when you used to see a YouTube video as your background?).

Remain calm and patient, this is a gradual process.

And we often tuck away good ideas for another day (if we haven't already got them in the queue).

Pony
Old 01-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
alex_kac

One major question - will this new UI eventually make it into the on-device UI instead of through the network?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
TiVoPep

As major as that question is, you have to know that we cannot answer it definitively at this time. Lots of moving pieces are involved, not least of which is the continuing work we are doing on the UI design based in part on the discussions we're seeing here. Thanks for asking, but "eventually" is pretty open-ended and impossible to predict.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Heh, if you TiVo guys ever quit your day jobs, you'd be good politicians.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
alex_kac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPep View Post
As major as that question is, you have to know that we cannot answer it definitively at this time. Lots of moving pieces are involved, not least of which is the continuing work we are doing on the UI design based in part on the discussions we're seeing here. Thanks for asking, but "eventually" is pretty open-ended and impossible to predict.
OK well here is my feedback. I have a 22Mps down/15Mps up connection and on my Tivo HD XL I pretty much refuse to use any HME app. They are slow and difficult to use with lots and lots of pauses. The Search Beta was an exception to my usage behavior and while I would use it for the purpose of providing UI feedback, its completely unusable as a Tivo feature because its so slow. In fact, any "feature" implemented as an HME app is immediately a "feature" that doesn't exist to me.

I love the new REAL HD look of the Tivo Search. Its awesome. Too bad I can't see it because the search UI is so slow for day-to-day use. I expect thats an HME because every HME app feels that way. So I really wish to see this brought to the real Tivo UI. Not just HME, because otherwise it will most likely stay as one of those "features" that I'll continue to ignore (and I figure most people will too).
Old 02-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_kac View Post
OK well here is my feedback. I have a 22Mps down/15Mps up connection and on my Tivo HD XL I pretty much refuse to use any HME app. They are slow and difficult to use with lots and lots of pauses.
something is up with latency on your connection then. I have a connection that typically gets 3 meg down and 400K upload. (actual numbers) I have found the Beta TiVo search very easy to use and the only pauses are when it goes and gets a bunch of data from the servers, I think my longest one was a couple seconds. (not counting when known server issues were happening)
In fact, based on the strength of this new search tool and the Netflix streaming - which has worked well for me also - I have ordered a second TiVo HD so I can make use of them at my two main viewing areas in my house.

That said - I also fully expect this will be incorporated into the TiVo interface directly, thus the claims to end "channel surfing" forever. That will likely happen on the series 4 platform that looks to be more java based all the way around, judging from the early reports on it.

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 02-02-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post
We're busy working on another update, and the feedback has been very useful. We have been listening, and responding, and we've already made some changes and tweaks (remember when you used to see a YouTube video as your background?).

Remain calm and patient, this is a gradual process.

And we often tuck away good ideas for another day (if we haven't already got them in the queue).

Pony
Thanks as always for your replies TiVoPony, and team.
It is hard to remain calm and patient about a significant change as good as this TiVo search is.
I was mainly just kicking the dust up some to keep interest going.

<forgetting I do system design work myself for a bit>
besides I am sure something like scheduling shows on another TiVo is just simply cut and paste the code from the online scheduling feature </forgetting I do system design work myself for a bit>

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 02-02-2009 at 09:22 AM.