TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #1831
newfie4ever

Actually I have discovered that if I chose to record another program right after the 1 hour 1 minute show you can tell it to cut short the 1 hour 1 minute show by 1 minute. Seems to be the only way to do it. Then just delete the extra recording after.
I am going to try a DL disc next. Love this unit tho. Got a good deal on it I think. Paid $300 for it and its got Lifetime Plus subscription on it.
Good deal or not , my wife loves it so if she's happy, I'm happy. If she's not happy, I'm not happy with half my ****. LOL

Nope didn't like the DL disc. Got invalid or unsupported disc. Oh well maybe in the future there will be a update that will allow the DL to work.
newfie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #1832
mwizard@gmail.co

I've done a search of the forums, and I haven't found the answer to this question.

I'm looking to change cable companies. I have a series2 with wishlist and season pass items all setup. If I go through guided setup to change from cable company 1 to cable company 2, will I lose all that setup information?

I would guess that all the channel numbers would change. At best, I would like to believe that all season pass stuff would just convert to the new tv channels. But I would like to know if I should be worried, and probably write down all my season pass information so that I might re-enter the information again after i rerun guided setup for the new cable company.

Should I be worried/paranoid?
mwizard@gmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #1833
azitnay

TiVo is indeed supposed to convert your season passes to the new provider's channels... As to how well it works, I can't say I've ever experienced it firsthand.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #1834
mrfixit454

Are you sure?

I did not think these units had lifetime subscription.. only basic for free which does not have season passes and a guide past 3 days. Also limited use of some of the inputs.
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #1835
azitnay

That's what they have out of the box, but you can certainly pay for TiVo service just like any other unit.

Drew
Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #1836
mrfixit454

Yes but when I tried to pay for lifetime, Tivo told me it was not available on that unit so I am month to month. Just curious how Newfie4ever got it if he truley did.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #1837
azitnay

He may have purchased it from a private seller that had purchased lifetime years ago, back before TiVo started locking it down.

Drew
Old 01-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #1838
newfie4ever

Yes I purchased it second hand and it had the Lifetime Plus already on it, which was nice. Thats why I thought a price of $300 was good for this unit.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #1839
mwizard@gmail.co

Well here is my experience when changing from 1 cable company to another.

In Olathe Kansas, we had a choice of "cable box or not", first.

(somewhere in here it connected to TiVo to get the setup information needed to proceed. I don't know what it needed, nor do I recall 'exactly' where in this procedure it asked this question. But it was early on for sure.)

Update 1-11-2009 - The season pass didn't seem to update "all" programs, and I cannot determine why some did, and some did not. But even for those that did not, the recording did indeed use the right channel. I guess, in time, it will all sort out on its own.

Selecting cable box (I didn't use one prior to this), the system then asked which cable company...

Comcast/Surewest/AT&T Uverse/I don't know

After selecting the proper company, it asked me about my cable box.

It is a Scientific Atlanta box. It then asked how many digits it needed to change channels. 3 digits was the default, and I stuck with it.

There were a few tests as the system changed channels and then asked how well things went. In my case, everything was just fine.

Then it downloaded enough programming data to get it started.

It seems my old "todo" and "season pass" information was still there. And the old channel numbers were present.

I then went to look up programs by title, and looked for my upcoming movie. (I had a movie that was supposed to start recording in the next 30 minutes, handy it was!) And in this title search, it showed the movie name, the proper (new) channel, and that it was to record it shortly. So while the 'todo' list wasn't 100%, it was going to do the recording with the new information.

At the moment, it is downloading the rest of the guide information. And after a while, I'll go back into the system and check all these values again. I'll update this post with the final results.

But it looks like things are going quite well.

Last edited by mwizard@gmail.co : 01-11-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #1840
mrfixit454

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie4ever View Post
Yes I purchased it second hand and it had the Lifetime Plus already on it, which was nice. Thats why I thought a price of $300 was good for this unit.
Ah.. thanks for the clarification
Old 01-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #1841
nateman96

Can I use TIVO Desktop Software with Free TIVO service

I have a RS-TX20 and have been paying TIVO $12.95/month for TIVO service. I am thinking of cancelling the TIVO service, and using the free 3 day TIVO that comes with the RS-TX20. I also want to use the TIVO PC Desktop software to download Podcasts to my TIVO and would like to know if it will work with the free TIVO service. Also how about the other TIVO services like Photobucket, Amazon.com movies downloads etc will they work with the 3 day free TIVO service. Thanks
nateman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #1842
windracer
joined the 10k club

Nope ... all of those extended network features are only available with the Plus service. If you go to TiVo Basic, all you'll get is the three days' worth of Guide data over the network. No TiVoToGo, network apps, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #1843
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

I am running my rs-tx20 on basic right now and it is literally a glorified VCR with 3 days of guide data. You can record, FFW, RW, pause and manually schedule recurring recordings. That's about it.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #1844
bethanyb

Wireless networking

Hi! I have a toshiba rs tx-20 and I want to hook it to the internet instead of the phone line. Can anyone tell me what type of equipment I need?
bethanyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #1845
azitnay

Assuming you already have a broadband router in place, you'll need either:

1) a compatible wired USB ethernet adapter, and enough ethernet cable to connect to your router or another hub or switch

2) a compatible wireless USB ethernet adapter (assuming your broadband router has wireless capability)

So, the first thing you need to decide is whether to go wired or wireless. If you have an easy way to connect it to your wired network where it is, wired is the obvious choice. If not, wireless might make more sense.

TiVo maintains a list of compatible adapters:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/..._adapters.html

TiVo sells their TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter directly, although you might find a cheaper price elsewhere.

Drew
Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #1846
Hatte

Quick question. My RS-TX60 stopped working yesterday, and when I try to boot it up again, it gets stuck in the initial "start up" mode... I have tried many of the suggestions in this forum, without success. Any additional suggestions? Also, I might have a DVD stuck in the DVD drive, how do I remove the DVD when the RS-TX60 is not working (which could be part of the issue) ? Thanks.
Hatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #1847
Kracko

To get the DVD out, straighten out a paper clip and stick it in the hole on the right side of the CD tray. You can see this hole when you look at the unit.

As to the booting problem, I solved it by simply buying a new hard drive from one of the sponsors here. It came with clear instructions on how to replace the drive. It was formatted with the Tivo software and even came with the proper tool for taking out the screws holding the cover on.
Kracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #1848
cdeckert219
technogeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatte View Post
Quick question. My RS-TX60 stopped working yesterday, and when I try to boot it up again, it gets stuck in the initial "start up" mode... I have tried many of the suggestions in this forum, without success. Any additional suggestions? Also, I might have a DVD stuck in the DVD drive, how do I remove the DVD when the RS-TX60 is not working (which could be part of the issue) ? Thanks.
I had the stuck DVD problem with my Humax once and repeatedly pushed the "open tray" button on the unit (not remote) while it was first powering up and it opened. I snatched the disc out quickly before it closed again and the problem was solved. The paper clip works, too, though.
Series 2 TCD540040 refurb w/300gb
cdeckert219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #1849
Hatte

Thanks for the suggestions. Pushing repeatedly the "open tray" button did not work... Maybe I am being "thick" but I don't know what holes on the right side of the CD tray that you are referring to, I cannot find any holes, so I could not try the paper clip trick... Where exactly is the hole that you are referring to ? Regarding buying a new hard drive, I will probably end up buying one so any hard drive and vendor in particular that you would recommend? Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #1850
windracer
joined the 10k club

IIRC, on the TX20/60 units, the "eject" hole is actually inside the unit. You may need to gently pry open the flip-down door on the front and the look at the actual front of the DVD drive inside.

|
Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #1851
Hatte

I did flip down the door on the front but there is no "eject" hole there on the unit... I even tried to force the actual DVR unit door to open, but I did not want to break it... Maybe I have a different DVR unit, the unit code is DVR 108JA?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #1852
windracer
joined the 10k club

I don't have a TX20 anymore but I want to say the hole was not readily accessible, maybe slightly hidden behind more plastic? Worse case you can open the entire thing up and take out the drive.

|
Old 01-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #1853
Chester_Lampwick

Well I hope I can help here. I hope this will be clear, this has worked for me. Rather than looking for the hole try this:

1 - with your fingernail pull down the tray cover
2 - locate the eject button on the DVD drive itself. It's about an inch from the right of the opening but slightly below. It's exactly the same spot as on a computer DVD drive. This button is on the DVD drive itself, and doesn't need to have commands passed from the TiVo to open.
3 - plug in the TiVo then press this button and the tray will open.

4 - if the above fails the paperclip hole is on the right side about the same location, but may be obscured with dust. You can do that trick with the power off, it's a mechanical thing. it will pop the tray out aout half an inch so you can grab it and pull it the rest of the way.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #1854
barbeedoll

I just finished replacing the hard drive on my TiVo and have done it once before with another unit. I used this company and have been thrilled with them. The drive comes all set up with the TiVo software and it has very clear instructions so you can replace the drive yourself.

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

Barbeedoll

Last edited by barbeedoll : 01-29-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: left out that this was separate units
barbeedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:52 AM   #1855
newfie4ever

I have a TX 20 system and love it. I bought my mother-in-law a new series 2 box and hooked her up. Now I notice that when I surf around on her system, its navigates considerably faster then mine. I know mine is older but is there anyway to speed this up or is that just the nature of it being an older system.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 06:33 AM   #1856
dizzydeane

I had the same problem (hangs at welcome screen & stuck DVD). Another option to DIY is call Toshiba for instructions & pricing and send in your unit with a check for repair. Ask for the TiVo guy who will call you back for troubleshooting, since it maybe ezy to fix. It cost me $139.95 + 1 way shipping but worth it. Their repair is in Haverhill MA. Same size HD. I hope this helps.
dizzydeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #1857
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie4ever View Post
I have a TX 20 system and love it. I bought my mother-in-law a new series 2 box and hooked her up. Now I notice that when I surf around on her system, its navigates considerably faster then mine. I know mine is older but is there anyway to speed this up or is that just the nature of it being an older system.

Thanks
It's not just the fact that it's older, but really the fact that it's a 5xx model. The older 1xx and 2xx models had beefier hardware, but TiVo scaled back the hardware on the 5xx models, in an effort to reduce production costs. The 6xx models (which is probably what you got your mother-in-law) have beefier hardware as well.

Drew
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #1858
mwizard@gmail.co

I just had a very strange problem over the last week.

On Saturday 1/31, I connected via phone (I normally do this) and it was successful in downloading updates. I noted monday morning that the system was still a week behind. Or in another way, the last sched info was dated 2/9. I updated again monday morning (2/2). Again my system says "success". But still the sched date info ends 2/9. I'm going through yet another attempt. Perhaps (with futility), this will work. I had rebooted the machine about 10 minutes before my latest connection attempt. So the reboot didn't seem to solve my problem.

Has anyone else ever had such a problem?

PS: My recent update completed succesfully too. My system information shows program info until feb 15th. A quick check of the to to list still shows program listings ending 2/9. I'll check it again tomorrow to see if it has managed to update properly.

PPS: The latest program information schedule update seems to have taken. So it would seem that I needed to restart the digital media server, and then to refresh the schedule information. I did note that it took about 1 sec per percentage point on the update up til 63%. But after that point, it hit a 7 fold decrease in throughput. This suggests that the last 1/3rd had some significant extra work to perform. I find it curious, but I have no idea what was really happening. But I am now back to normal.

-Mark

Last edited by mwizard@gmail.co : 02-03-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #1859
newfie4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay View Post
It's not just the fact that it's older, but really the fact that it's a 5xx model. The older 1xx and 2xx models had beefier hardware, but TiVo scaled back the hardware on the 5xx models, in an effort to reduce production costs. The 6xx models (which is probably what you got your mother-in-law) have beefier hardware as well.

Drew
I thought as much but it doesn't matter that much as this unit is great with a lifetime sub.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #1860
k6_user

Arrow Slow channel changing on tx20 with DTV converter box

Hi, I’ve learned a lot of great info from this thread – thanks to all who have contributed. I have an RS-TX20 which has worked pretty well for several years now. I searched this thread for info on my problem – no success - so here goes:

I recently hooked up a DTV converter box to my tx20 – went thru the guided set-up and everything seems to be working well except the time it takes to change channels.
Now I know that the tx20 was no speed daemon at changing channels when viewing OTA programming directly thru it’s built in tuner, but with a DTV box it takes about 5 to 6 seconds to change a channel.
The best way to describe this: it seems like tivo first tries to change the channel of the internal tuner, and then approx. 4 seconds later it sends the new channel number to the DTV box. I’ve gone thru guided set-up at least 6 times using 2 different DTV boxes (Channel Master & Magnavox) 2 different IR blasters – all with the same results.

Here’s the sequence:
1 push channel-up or channel-down button
2 TV screen goes blank & the tivo channel banner appears with the NEW channel number in it
3 the CURRENT channel program re-appears for about 2 seconds.
4 The screen goes blank again & the DTV box’s channel banner appears with the NEW channel number in it (approx 4 to 5 seconds has lapsed now)
5 Finally, the new channel program appears (5 to 6 seconds total )

Note: in between step 3 and 4 the recording buffer is cleared and tivo starts to buffer what it “thinks” is the new channel program. However, when I rewind the buffer I can actually see about 2 seconds of the PREVIOUS channel program, and then see tivo send the new channel numbers 1-by-1 to the DTV box, and then the new channel program starts recording.

I called tivo tech support who walked me thru all the settings ( IR code, A B C, # of digits, enter button etc) with no improvement. When I asked to have this escalated to a higher tier of support, I got disconnected.

Sorry for the long post, but before I waste my time calling them back, I just wanted to check with this forum to see if this is the way it’s supposed to work (tech supt didn’t think so) or do I really have a problem.

So, anyone else (using a DTV box) having this problem?
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
k6_user is offline   Reply With Quote