TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #151
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu014 View Post
Is there a way to stream widescreen content as is and not have it stretch to go full screen.

When i use mac2tivo it streams widescreen content as is.

Sorry, for the elementary terminology. I am not incredible familiar with aspect ratios and such.
Hi gu, I'm still trying to figure out an answer to your audio delay question, I haven't found anything useful, but I'm really not that familiar with pytivo... hoping someone else (like wmcbrine) might have a lead..

As for the widescreen, if your file has the correct aspect ratio setting, pyTivo is supposed to correctly scale the film (i.e. you're not supposed to get stretching). I believe it just accepts the setting you have on your tivo (16:9 or 4:3). Are you seeing this with all files ?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #152
gu014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Hi gu, I'm still trying to figure out an answer to your audio delay question, I haven't found anything useful, but I'm really not that familiar with pytivo... hoping someone else (like wmcbrine) might have a lead..

As for the widescreen, if your file has the correct aspect ratio setting, pyTivo is supposed to correctly scale the film (i.e. you're not supposed to get stretching). I believe it just accepts the setting you have on your tivo (16:9 or 4:3). Are you seeing this with all files ?
Yes, I receive stretching on all of my files. I play them on the imac using quicktime or vlc, stream using mac2tivo and the there is no stretching.

I am using pytivoX by the way. I might have said pytivo prior.
Is there some sort of configuration I can change?
gu014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #153
Yoav

Quote:
Yes, I receive stretching on all of my files. I play them on the imac using quicktime or vlc, stream using mac2tivo and the there is no stretching.

I am using pytivoX by the way. I might have said pytivo prior.
Is there some sort of configuration I can change?
pyTivoX is just a pretty front-end to pyTivo. All the hard work is done underneath in pyTivo . The associated config file is stored in <user>/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf

It may well be that you need to edit this file (if you do, do not hit the 'apply/restart' button on pyTivoX or it will overwrite the file). There's a whole slew of things you can play with, all documented here .

Another way (instead of manually editting the file) is to connect to
http://localhost:9032/ and click on 'web configuration' (again, do not hit restart/accept in pyTivoX or it will undo your changes).

I'm curious if you're also seeing these problems with other format files, like mp4's or mkv's or anything you got from a different source? I'm thinking your DVD rips might be making ffmpeg unhappy...

Old 01-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #154
gu014

Quote:
pyTivoX is just a pretty front-end to pyTivo. All the hard work is done underneath in pyTivo . The associated config file is stored in <user>/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf

It may well be that you need to edit this file (if you do, do not hit the 'apply/restart' button on pyTivoX or it will overwrite the file). There's a whole slew of things you can play with, all documented here .

Another way (instead of manually editting the file) is to connect to
http://localhost:9032/ and click on 'web configuration' (again, do not hit restart/accept in pyTivoX or it will undo your changes).

I'm curious if you're also seeing these problems with other format files, like mp4's or mkv's or anything you got from a different source? I'm thinking your DVD rips might be making ffmpeg unhappy...
I will have a look at the configuration.

I am receiving the stretching with all files. avi, mpg. Files I have ripped, downloaded, etc.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #155
Yoav

Quote:
I will have a look at the configuration.

I am receiving the stretching with all files. avi, mpg. Files I have ripped, downloaded, etc.
Ok that sucks.

Ok, so just a few more questions: Are you using a S2 tivo or S3/HD?
And is your TV 16:9 or 4:3? Have you tried pushing the 'aspect' button on the remote?

(this might be helpful?)

Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #156
gu014

Quote:
Ok that sucks.

Ok, so just a few more questions: Are you using a S2 tivo or S3/HD?
And is your TV 16:9 or 4:3? Have you tried pushing the 'aspect' button on the remote?

(this might be helpful?)
I'm using the tivo hd.

the tv is a 42'' 16:9.

i have tried the aspect, but it remains full screen.

When i use mac2tivo on the same file it comes in at the correct ratio(black bars on top and bottom).
Old 01-25-2009, 12:31 AM   #157
Yoav

Quote:
I'm using the tivo hd.

the tv is a 42'' 16:9.

i have tried the aspect, but it remains full screen.

When i use mac2tivo on the same file it comes in at the correct ratio(black bars on top and bottom).
Hey bud. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. There is probably a setting in the config file that can help resolve this... But I don't know what it is.

I'm sure it's of no consolation but I have a very similar setup to yours, and I get gray bars above/below on 1.85 / 2.35 aspect ratio movies...

I'm going to re-ask your question on the pyTivo forum and link it in here.. maybe someone else would have a useful answer.

edit : Ok I asked the question here . I'll try and respond to their questions and relay it here, although I'd recommend signing up to that forum and participating if you can.

It may also help if you attach the contents of your pyTivoX.log (it's in /tmp/). You may need to open the Finder, and choose (menu) "Go" / "Go to Folder..." and type in "/tmp" to find it.

And of course, right after I ask it, I come across someone asking the same question (damn I suck at using the 'search' functionality of message boards): same problem . Looks like so far it's not fixed, but you're not alone

Last edited by Yoav : 01-25-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #158
gu014

I followed your instructions and I am unable to find the pytivox.log.

Here is a screenshot of /tmp/
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (45.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #159
Yoav

Quote:
I followed your instructions and I am unable to find the pytivox.log.

Here is a screenshot of /tmp/
Odd, that's the right location. Did you run pyTivoX? Try opening up a Terminal.app and typing
Code:
 ls /tmp/
This is just weird...

Old 01-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #160
NA9D

Hey Yoav,

I installed pyTivoX today and it's not showing up in my Tivo's Now Playing list. I listed the log file and here's what it's getting. Looks like some errors in the config file? I've not touched it:

Code:
cat /tmp/pyTivoX.log
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/pyTivoX-1.0.1/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/pyTivo.py", line 7, in <module>
    import beacon, httpserver, os, sys
  File "/Applications/pyTivoX-1.0.1/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/beacon.py", line 5, in <module>
    import config
  File "/Applications/pyTivoX-1.0.1/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/config.py", line 25, in <module>
    config.read(config_files)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 267, in read
    self._read(fp, filename)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 490, in _read
    raise e
ConfigParser.ParsingError: File contains parsing errors: /Users/jon/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf
	[line 12]: '192.168.1.255\n'

NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #161
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
Hey Yoav,

I installed pyTivoX today and it's not showing up in my Tivo's Now Playing list. I listed the log file and here's what it's getting. Looks like some errors in the config file? I've not touched it:

Code:
cat /tmp/pyTivoX.log
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/pyTivoX-1.0.1/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/pyTivo.py", line 7, in <module>
    import beacon, httpserver, os, sys
  File "/Applications/pyTivoX-1.0.1/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/beacon.py", line 5, in <module>
    import config
  File "/Applications/pyTivoX-1.0.1/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/config.py", line 25, in <module>
    config.read(config_files)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 267, in read
    self._read(fp, filename)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 490, in _read
    raise e
ConfigParser.ParsingError: File contains parsing errors: /Users/jon/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf
	[line 12]: '192.168.1.255\n'
Just to clarify, you were using pyTivoX before, installed the beta, and now it's not working? Before we try debugging it much, have you made any modifications to the pytivo.conf file? If not, can you just press the 'Apply' button and see if it fixes itself? For what it's worth, line 12 should be 'beacon=192.168.1.255'.. I don't believe any version of pyTivoX doesnt write that line correctly... so I'm not sure how that happened...

Added note: I notice you have the application in a directory named pyTivoX-1.0.1. I'm not sure if that breaks anything, but it's definitely not needed. Generally, download the zip file, double-click on it. Open the new folder, and drag the application directly into the Applications folder... (don't drag the whole folder.. just the application).

Last edited by Yoav : 01-25-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #162
NA9D

I never had pyTivoX installed before. I did copy over the whole folder that pyTivoX was in after I extracted the zip file. So perhaps it's not expecting to be in that location?

I looked at the config file but did not edit it...
Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #163
Yoav

Quote:
I never had pyTivoX installed before. I did copy over the whole folder that pyTivoX was in after I extracted the zip file. So perhaps it's not expecting to be in that location?

I looked at the config file but did not edit it...
Well, try draggin the application out of that folder and into the main Applications folder (it REALLY shouldn't matter, but maybe it does). The more likely culprit is a bad config file though... Try hitting the 'restart' (if it's on the main release) or 'apply' button if on the beta and see if it fixes it?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #164
NA9D

I think I may have found the problem:

Here was my config file w/o being edited:
Code:
# Created by pyTivoX, edits here WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

[Admin]
type=admin

[Server]
Port=9032

ffmpeg=/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg

beacon=192.168.1.255

[iTivo]
type=video
path=/Volumes/Media/Video/iTivoDownloads

[MPEG4]
type=video
path=/Volumes/Media/Video/MPEG4-H.264

[My Share]
type=video
path=/Volumes/Barracuda/iTunes Video
Look at the extra 192.168.1.255

That was the way it came when I started it up...

I removed that and now it appears to be working. But will a restart put that bad line back in?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #165
Yoav

Quote:
I think I may have found the problem:

Here was my config file w/o being edited:
Code:
# Created by pyTivoX, edits here WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

[Admin]
type=admin

[Server]
Port=9032

ffmpeg=/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg

beacon=192.168.1.255

[iTivo]
type=video
path=/Volumes/Media/Video/iTivoDownloads

[MPEG4]
type=video
path=/Volumes/Media/Video/MPEG4-H.264

[My Share]
type=video
path=/Volumes/Barracuda/iTunes Video
Look at the extra 192.168.1.255

That was the way it came when I started it up...

I removed that and now it appears to be working. But will a restart put that bad line back in?
A click of the restart button would indeed re-break the file. However, you can always 'exit' and the run 'pyTivoX' again, and that will leave the file as-is.

It looks like my method of detecting the beacon is failing for your setup. I'll put a fix in right now to just use one value (I assumed it always was). But I'm guessing there's something 'interesting' with your home network setup?

Can you run the following command and in a Terminal.app and paste the results here?

Code:
ifconfig `route get default | sed -n -e 's/.*interface: \\(.*\\)/\\1/p'`

Old 01-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #166
Yoav

Ok I just put up a new beta (1.1b6). It fixes the bug by forcing just one result for the beacon, and also has some new flags on streambaby (turns off h.264 aac as-is streaming, and streams using a higher quality audio bitrate). You'll need to hit 'apply' to generate the new config file...

Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #167
NA9D

Quote:
A click of the restart button would indeed re-break the file. However, you can always 'exit' and the run 'pyTivoX' again, and that will leave the file as-is.

It looks like my method of detecting the beacon is failing for your setup. I'll put a fix in right now to just use one value (I assumed it always was). But I'm guessing there's something 'interesting' with your home network setup?

Can you run the following command and in a Terminal.app and paste the results here?

Code:
Here you go:

Code:
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet6 fe80::217:f2ff:fe02:4d82%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4 
	inet 192.168.1.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
	inet 192.168.1.12 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
	ether 00:17:f2:02:4d:82 
	media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>) status: active
	supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>
I do have two IP addresses assigned to this machine. Maybe that's it?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #168
Yoav

Quote:
Here you go:

Code:
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet6 fe80::217:f2ff:fe02:4d82%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4 
	inet 192.168.1.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
	inet 192.168.1.12 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
	ether 00:17:f2:02:4d:82 
	media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>) status: active
	supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>
I do have two IP addresses assigned to this machine. Maybe that's it?
Yep that was definitely it . (The program is really designed for the most basic of setups). But anyways, with the change in the code I just pull out the first address and use it. So it should work for your setup.

Not going to be perfect for everyone, but at least for those who know how to multi-home their machines, they probably also know how to edit config files, and can handle editting the config to fix it .

Old 01-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #169
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
... but at least for those who know how to multi-home their machines, they probably also know how to edit config files, and can handle editting the config to fix it .
Well, I'm not sure this is always true. Running VMware gives you additional TCP/IP addresses, so a person who's not comfortable with editing a config file could still end up with a multi-homed computer.

I'm not sure what you (as the developer) can do about that, though.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #170
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
Well, I'm not sure this is always true. Running VMware gives you additional TCP/IP addresses, so a person who's not comfortable with editing a config file could still end up with a multi-homed computer.

I'm not sure what you (as the developer) can do about that, though.
Haha we're off on a huge tangent, but:
Actually the reason there is this whole 'trying to figure out the right broadcast address' is because tools like parallels and vmware were generating additional interfaces/addresses on the computer.

So pyTivo was sometimes trying to set up the beacon on the wrong address. I added some code to detect the default interface, and extract the broadcast address from that. For users with fusion or parallels, they still only have one IP address associated with the default route's network interface, and the code as written works.

The reason it broke in the above situation is that the default interface was 'en1', and 'en1' had two broadcast addresses. Anyways, that was unexpected by me and it led to a bug. With the new beta code it will now just pull the first broadcast address, resolving this problem.

Fwiw, that may still be buggy (the second address might be the right one for example). But I think for people in that situation, it is fair to tell them 'go manually fix the config file'.

The logic chain is basically (you can run this in Terminal.app if you like):
  • route get default ;# extract the interface from this
  • ifconfig <interface> ;# extract the broadcast value from this
Take only the first value.

Last edited by Yoav : 01-26-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #171
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Fwiw, that may still be buggy (the second address might be the right one for example). But I think for people in that situation, it is fair to tell them 'go manually fix the config file'.
Oh yeah, I hope I didn't sound like I thought you needed to do more - in the end I have no doubt there'll always be at least a few cases where the end user still has to intervene. I just think that, even if the logical/fair solution is to tell the user to fix the config file, the user may not always have the level of understanding required.

But certainly for the vast majority of Mac users you've made it extremely simple for them to get pyTivo running - which is pretty cool.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #172
NA9D

The reason I have two IPs on the same NIC is that one of them is used for hosting my website. So the NAT on the router sends all requests to my IP for www.na9d.net (my website) to the second IP on my MacPro. The first IP is actually associated with a different external IP address (I have a block of 5 fixed IPs).

On the LAN it matters not what address is used. It's just for being able to NAT correctly from WAN to LAN that it matters.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #173
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

For some reason I'm not able to get the Photo sharing feature to work within pyTiVoX. Whenever I try and access one of my photos it shows up as a broken image. I took a look at the log (/tmp/pyTivoX.log) and it shows that pyTiVo is throwing a 404 for all of my images. Any ideas?

Quote:
192.168.1.105 - - [28/Jan/2009 20:40:54] "GET /Local%20Pictures/christmas-ornament-balls.jpg?Width=88&Height=60&PixelShape=40%3A33&Format=image %2Fjpeg HTTP/1.0" 404 -
192.168.1.105 - - [28/Jan/2009 20:40:54] code 404, message Not Found

raianoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #174
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

BTW, I installed PIL (python image lib) and I think it is working based on the following info:

Quote:
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 15 2008, 22:57:26)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import sys
>>> print sys.path
['', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python25.zip', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/plat-darwin', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/plat-mac', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-tk', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload', '/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages', '/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/PIL', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/PyObjC']

Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #175
Yoav

I'll go try it out (to be honest, I've never bothered using pyTivo for music or photos...)
Hopefully it's trivial to fix..

Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #176
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by raianoat View Post
BTW, I installed PIL (python image lib) and I think it is working based on the following info:
Yep, It looks like pictures depends on PIL being installed, which in turn depends on a bunch of additional libraries (like libjpeg, libtiff, etc), most of which are installed if you use fink or ports, but none of which I can depend on.

So, I think, for now, I'll disable gui support for photo media (since you're the first to even mention the bug, I suspect most people won't even notice). If you really want to be able to share photos, you can still manually edit the file in ~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pytivo.conf and use that (and then you'll be responsible for installing PIL and all associated libraries).

Not the best answer....

Old 01-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #177
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Thanks for trying this out. I had hoped to use pyTiVoX as a replacement for TD on my Mac. I guess I'll either have to get all the dependencies installed. I'll be sure to post back here if I get it working.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #178
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There were no dependencies when I installed PIL on my Mac. It was a nice simple package. I don't remember where I got it, but perhaps this will do:

http://pythonmac.org/packages/py25-fat/index.html

I have to say, I'm very disappointed to read that pyTivoX was released without testing photos or music.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #179
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by raianoat View Post
Thanks for trying this out. I had hoped to use pyTiVoX as a replacement for TD on my Mac. I guess I'll either have to get all the dependencies installed. I'll be sure to post back here if I get it working.
I tried the pyTiVo music and photos (when I had pyTiVo installed by hand) and really didn't like it. TiVo Desktop seemed to have much better options for dealing with playlists in iTunes. Just my two cents.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #180
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There were no dependencies when I installed PIL on my Mac. It was a nice simple package. I don't remember where I got it, but perhaps this will do:

http://pythonmac.org/packages/py25-fat/index.html

I have to say, I'm very disappointed to read that pyTivoX was released without testing photos or music.
Hey thanks for that link! Let me see if I can repackage the contents of that with pyTivoX...

As for disappointment.. Sorry .