TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #31
ontheway

Does anyone really utilize search results after one or two characters have been entered. It appears that the search feature (youtube behaves this way too if I am not mistaken) takes place after each keystroke and if that is correct this slows things down a lot which would seem to account for the delay in entering new characters. I would rather be able to input however many characters I want and then hit the select key to start the search.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #32
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Does anyone really utilize search results after one or two characters have been entered.
Certainly! In fact, I would be very surprised if most searches involved more than a few characters.

One letter will now display most popular shows. With B, you get shows like Bones, Boston Legal, Big Bang Theory, and Burn Notice. With C, you get shows like Chuck, CSI, College Football, Californication, and CSI: Miami. With E, you get shows like ER, Eureka, Eleventh Hour, and Entourage. With H, you get shows like House, Heroes, and How I Met your Mother. With M, you get shows like Mad Men, My Own Worst Enemy, Monk, and The Mentalist. With T, you get shows like Terminator: SCC, The Tudors, Top Chef, Two and a Half Men, and True Blood.

I can't recall seeing a single network series that required more than two input characters.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #33
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Question text file of the closed captions

This would be unlikely, but just in case it becomes possible in the future...

How about an option requesting a text file of the closed captions from the program or sports telecast sent to the Tivo user's email adddress?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share an online coupon here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #34
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

Obtain better baseball telecast listings.

Usually the baseball listings start with "MLB Baseball"

Of course, we want to search by team, not sport.

Also would like to more easily determine if the game is LIVE or a re-broadcast.

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #35
MichaelK

add my vote for doing something about sports Team listings
Old 01-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #36
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Smile

I'd like to see something like Google News Alerts by keyword but for tv listings instead of news stories.

That was you could have a web based list of keyword searches for tv programs that wouldn't have a limit of how many searches you can run and it would save your searches.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #37
ontheway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Certainly! In fact, I would be very surprised if most searches involved more than a few characters.

One letter will now display most popular shows. With B, you get shows like Bones, Boston Legal, Big Bang Theory, and Burn Notice. With C, you get shows like Chuck, CSI, College Football, Californication, and CSI: Miami. With E, you get shows like ER, Eureka, Eleventh Hour, and Entourage. With H, you get shows like House, Heroes, and How I Met your Mother. With M, you get shows like Mad Men, My Own Worst Enemy, Monk, and The Mentalist. With T, you get shows like Terminator: SCC, The Tudors, Top Chef, Two and a Half Men, and True Blood.

I can't recall seeing a single network series that required more than two input characters.
bkdtv,

Yes one letter brings up a lot of the popular series and a whole lot more to sift through, but my question was does anyone really do single letter searches not will they bring results.

Let me get some clarity on what I think is happening, if it is not then my issue is non existant. Does the Tivo perform the search after each character is entered? It appears that it does and perhaps that is why subsequent key entries don't appear immediately.

For instance if I enter "B" and then , the use the arrow keys to naviagte to the next letter I want to enter, the UI cursor lags behind what I enter via the remote which is frustrating.

Again, my personal preference would be to enter the characters I want to search on (whether it be 1 character or 5) and then have the search performed, but I accept that not everybody would feel this way.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #38
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb A qwerty keyboard Tivo remote would be greatly appreciated.

A qwerty keyboard remote would be greatly appreciated.

I'm imagining a classic Tivo remote that opens in the middle to display the keyboard.

Those of us who use the Youtube feature on the series 3 Tivo would really benefit from the use of a faster way to type.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #39
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

Quote:

For instance if I enter "B" and then , the use the arrow keys to naviagte to the next letter I want to enter, the UI cursor lags behind what I enter via the remote which is frustrating.

Again, my personal preference would be to enter the characters I want to search on (whether it be 1 character or 5) and then have the search performed, but I accept that not everybody would feel this way.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott, I think that the real problem is the first paragraph. I don't care if search results start to pop up myself, as long as it doesn't cause a pause in entering the next keystroke. The system is either inappropriately waiting for those results before paying your entry more attention, or the pay-attention-and-write-to-the-screen-when-you-press-a-remote-key part of the software is losing out in resources to the do-the-search-from-what's-typed-in-so-far part. That's what should be fixed.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #40
DAccardi
Tivo Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu1111 View Post
Ability to go to search just from 'Tivo' + shortcut.

I like Netflix on Tivo, but find it tedious to go through 5-6 screens to reach 'Watch Instantly'

you go thru 2 screens, not 5 or 6. If you count the TiVo Main Menu page, then 3.

Last edited by DAccardi : 01-15-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #41
DAccardi
Tivo Special Member

Integrate the C drive from you computer in the search, I have tons of videos on my computer and it would be nice if somehow they can search your computer for what you are looking for also. At least search the tivo directory.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #42
DAccardi
Tivo Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone really utilize search results after one or two characters have been entered. It appears that the search feature (youtube behaves this way too if I am not mistaken) takes place after each keystroke and if that is correct this slows things down a lot which would seem to account for the delay in entering new characters. I would rather be able to input however many characters I want and then hit the select key to start the search.
Great idea and I 2nd it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #43
MichaelK

swival search seems not to search until you pause your "typing"- if you keep hitting keys it waits to search. If you pause a bit between your ups, downs, lefts, and rights then it goes and does it's business.

I wonder why this isn't behaving that way.

If it's becasue they eventually plan to run it locally off the hardware then no problem. but if it's going to be up on the net someplace then they should go the way they did with swival.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #44
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
swival search seems not to search until you pause your "typing"- if you keep hitting keys it waits to search. If you pause a bit between your ups, downs, lefts, and rights then it goes and does it's business.

I wonder why this isn't behaving that way.

If it's becasue they eventually plan to run it locally off the hardware then no problem. but if it's going to be up on the net someplace then they should go the way they did with swival.
The whole purpose of searching on each letter is to continually refine the results. If a user wants to find HOUSE, and they enter H, they can stop moving to O when they see that HOUSE is displayed. Searching on movies can take 2-8 characters to find the desired program, but the user won't know how many characters they need unless the results are refined after each input. If you wait until input is complete, then you're asking the user to guess how many characters they need. Users will exert more effort inputting unnecessary characters.

If what you propose is necessary to eliminate the lag for a significant percentage of users, then I am all for it. But don't you think the best option would be the existing implementation (i.e. continually refining results after each input) without the lag?

Last edited by bkdtv : 01-17-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #45
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

Quote:
The whole purpose of searching on each letter is to continually refine the results. If a user wants to find HOUSE, and they enter H, they can stop moving to O when they see that HOUSE is displayed. Searching on movies can take 2-8 characters to find the desired program, but the user won't know how many characters they need unless the results are refined after each input. If you wait until input is complete, then you're asking the user to guess how many characters they need. Users will exert more effort inputting unnecessary characters.

If what you propose is necessary to eliminate the lag for a significant percentage of users, then I am all for it. But don't you think the best option would be the existing implementation (i.e. continually refining results after each input) without the lag?
I'd much rather, given the choice, choose the other way. If keyboard input is preferred, I can always DECIDE to stop between keystrokes and await results. This way, with results display preferred and keypresses ignored, I have no choice.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #46
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarter View Post
I'd much rather, given the choice, choose the other way. If keyboard input is preferred, I can always DECIDE to stop between keystrokes and await results. This way, with results display preferred and keypresses ignored, I have no choice.
I think they figure that since they're guessing what you might be entering based on popularity you may think you need to put in more than you do.

Not entirely square
Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #47
MichaelK

Quote:

I much prefer the UI paradigm where one types and results constantly get refined. Lots of places use it and it's nice- there's all sorts of places that MS does that. Facebook does it. So yep i like that alot.

BUT the 64,000 question is can tivo pull that off without horrific lags. So far it appears NOPE. So it's quicker i think to type H-O-U and then pause and hope tivo finds House. Rather then type H wait, type O and wait again and then it gets it.

To me, bottom line- the SPEED is most important to whatever method.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #48
javabird

I know this app is mainly intended for HDTV's, but I'm using a TivoHD on a HD-ready TV using Native format. The search menu text is too small to easily read on my TV...
so, please make a version that is readable in 480i.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #49
Larry in TN

An HD-Ready TV *IS* an HD TV. Connect your TiVo to one of it's HD inputs.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #50
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

1. add ability to filter on release year for TV episodes

2. add ability to filter on number of stars for movies.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #51
dratoff

Record indiviudal episodes

I like the new search. I like the way you handle shows with multiple seasons. I would like the ability to record an individual episodes. For example. Let's say I want to record the third episode of season 2. I would like to add that particular episode to my season passes. Thank you.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #52
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dratoff View Post
I like the new search. I like the way you handle shows with multiple seasons. I would like the ability to record an individual episodes. For example. Let's say I want to record the third episode of season 2. I would like to add that particular episode to my season passes. Thank you.
Sounds like you want the menu option to create a wishlist that will automatically record a specific episode the next time it is shown.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #53
E94Allen

Quote:
Sounds like you want the menu option to create a wishlist that will automatically record a specific episode the next time it is shown.
Yep you explained this very well and I requested this feature while back as well.

Edit: I would add something more to this. People don't always want record in HD so when create wistlist in mind I would like to make it SD only or HD only as option or better yet let me pick which channel to record. Something like that.

Last edited by E94Allen : 01-23-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #54
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

Someday I would love to see the TV show search and Wishlists more consolidated.

A few ideas there:

- At least for broadband users, an ability (perhaps as an additional option to TV show and/or Wishlist search) to see all the show names that TiVo knows about anywhere from past or present, so just because, say, "The Invaders" (1960's science fiction show) isn't on in the next two weeks or currently on a local channel, if the service TiVo builds its data for has ever had it in their line-up, it shows up. Ideally, somehow a way to tell you're looking at a series or a one-shot (i.e. is "Heroes" the TV series or "Heroes" the movie?) and perhaps a year (is it 1978 "Battlestar Galactica" or 2004+)? TiVo does know the difference in most cases I can think of, so it has some way of internally representing that.

Given that information, you can do a few things with Wishlists you can't do now:

- Unambiguously identify which show -- right now if you want "Heroes" or "Life" on your list while they don't have any episodes in the next two weeks, you either have to add an actor (which may not be presented in the information in reruns, etc. so it's unreliable) or try subtracting all the other things that may come up and keep at it every few weeks ("LIFE" -"ON MARS" -"MY SO CALLED" -"IS BEAUTIFUL" -... ).

- Be channel-independent. You find out that G4 is rerunning those old Heroes episodes, great, you can set a Season Pass for that. But when G4 quits, and SciFi starts rerunning them instead, your Season Pass just became useless. When NBC discontinued "Scrubs" and ABC bought it, you wouldn't have to worry about missing anything if you missed that news.

- Do different things for First-Run and Reruns -- "Heroes" First-Run, keep all, Save-until-I-delete; "Heroes" reruns, keep 5, Save-until-space-needed.

- Know you're getting the show title as opposed to the episode title. If "Random Show That You Hate" had an episode called "Life," your "Life" wishlist wouldn't get it if your wishlist/season pass knew you were getting the TV series.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #55
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarter View Post
- At least for broadband users, an ability (perhaps as an additional option to TV show and/or Wishlist search) to see all the show names that TiVo knows about anywhere from past or present, so just because, say, "The Invaders" (1960's science fiction show) isn't on in the next two weeks or currently on a local channel, if the service TiVo builds its data for has ever had it in their line-up, it shows up. Ideally, somehow a way to tell you're looking at a series or a one-shot (i.e. is "Heroes" the TV series or "Heroes" the movie?) and perhaps a year (is it 1978 "Battlestar Galactica" or 2004+)? TiVo does know the difference in most cases I can think of, so it has some way of internally representing that.
Good idea. This is similar to a suggestion that I made in regard to Movies. When I look at a cast member (or writer, director, producer which need to be added) I should be able to see every movie (or as you suggest, TV program) they've been in. It shouldn't matter whether it's airing or available for rent at that particular time.

As you mention, this could be an option in the search setup "All programs" vs. "Coming Soon." Come to think of it, you could have a third option "Available Now" that would include only what can be downloaded or viewed right now (or say within the next hour).

This would be great for setting up wish lists for movies or programs that aren't available in the current guide or rentals. Ideally you could set up a wish list to record a movie in HD the first time you see a trailer for the movie just by looking it up in search.

Which brings up another Wish List option. You should have the option of having a Wish List alert you through a message if something available for rental matches a Wish List.

Not entirely square
Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #56
jludman

+1 sports team listings
Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #57
zEli173

I really dislike that TiVo only gives two options for resolving conflicts when I schedule a new recording. The first option is to clip or cancel a newly scheduled recording, the second option is to clip or cancel the existing scheduled recording with the lower season pass priority (not exactly sure what happens when the recordings aren't part of a season pass). I want TiVo to give me all the options, which means allowing me to clip or cancel the higher priority recording. Start by including this functionality in the Beta search.

Also, another +1 on the sports team names!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #58
outpost

I find text entry slow and awkward, because when you hold the arrows down to go quickly to another letter, the cursor will jump out of the text box.

I would like to be able to hold an arrow down and fast cycle through all the letters to the letter I want. Then, maybe the 8 second jump and forward jump buttons could be used to leave the text box.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #59
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up

I'd like individual, searchable listings for each program on Book TV.

http://www.booktv.org/schedule.aspx

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #60
javabird

Make a way to change the display of the Search menu to accomodate 480i.

I have my TV set to Native and Smart Screen, and although I can see the whole Search menu, the text is just too tiny. I need a way to make the text larger.