TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #121
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
So very cool - I tried playing around with streambaby earlier today, but I'm in the midst of a migraine, and it wasn't going very well. I downloaded the newest pyTivoX and was streaming in minutes.

So very, very cool - thanks.
You're welcome, glad to make life easy for people, but you should thank the pytivo and streambaby devs.. they did the hard part
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #122
Ladd Morse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Did you try the exact same solution of downloading the beta and using it instead?
Yes, I did and it works fine now. No more ffmpeg quitting.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #123
herbman

Quote:
a heads up to those who like helping to test out code:

The latest beta (you'll have to manually download it) adds support for streaming (using streambaby). If you're bold/brave and have an S3 or TivoHD, can you try it out please (the streams will be under Music, Photos, Showcases).
Need to know if things are broken before I push it out on the unwashed masses...

Be sure to hit the 'restart' button once you make a change in terms of what service you want to run
Hi there, I'm trying out the beta (great work so far!). The pytivo portion still works (I get my movies folder link in now showing), but nothing new is showing up under music, photos, and showcases. Nothing is firewalled as far as I know, and I have home network applications enabled. How should I begin to diagnose?

Thanks!

*Edit* I see the problem, in /tmp/pyTivoX-SB.log:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/unwiredappeal/tivo/streambaby/StreamBabyMain

Any ideas? FWIW, I have this installed in a subfolder to /Applications.

*Edit 2* I was able to manually start the distributed streambaby by opening a shell to the streambaby dir underneath the pyTivoX.app tree, moving the streambaby.ini to streambaby.ini.dist, and creating a symlink to the version in ~/Application Support/pyTivoX. This enabled the start, with no issue with the classpath working. Perhaps something in pyTivoX has a small bug in instantiating the java class for streambaby?

Unfortunately, while it's now starting without a JVM error, it's still not working. It's just hanging on "Initializing..."

*Edit 3* OK, so the path was causing the issue, because it had a colon in it (which is acceptable under mac os X). I tried running the streambaby shell script from the Application Support/pyTivoX dir and got the same error I saw earlier. I moved back to vanilla /Applications, nuked the prefs just in case, restarted and now it is starting both daemons.

Sadly, same as above.. hung on Initializing..

Last edited by herbman : 01-22-2009 at 06:28 PM.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #124
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbman View Post
*Edit 3* OK, so the path was causing the issue, because it had a colon in it (which is acceptable under mac os X). I tried running the streambaby shell script from the Application Support/pyTivoX dir and got the same error I saw earlier. I moved back to vanilla /Applications, nuked the prefs just in case, restarted and now it is starting both daemons.
Ermm, be careful. A colon is not 'acceptable' under MacOS (for certain definition of acceptable). a colon is similar to a slash, in that it is a directory component seperator...

I dunno *why* they made the decision to use colons.. I'm sure they had some reason, but it's caused no end of headaches... Can you try putting it in a location without a colon?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #125
herbman

Quote:
Ermm, be careful. A colon is not 'acceptable' under MacOS (for certain definition of acceptable). a colon is similar to a slash, in that it is a directory component seperator...

I dunno *why* they made the decision to use colons.. I'm sure they had some reason, but it's caused no end of headaches... Can you try putting it in a location without a colon?
Yeah, this was an "Audio/Video" dir I had underneath the /Applications in the Finder GUI. It translated to a colon in the shell. I moved back to regular /Applications and it worked. After that it was all about issues with streambaby, which I've been posting in that thread. I made the change that he talked about (the not autodeleting previews thing) and so as long as I never click 'Restart' in your app it won't overwrite that file, right?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #126
bedelman
Call me Bob

To contribute about the use of a colon...

Colon was the separator used in the Mac OS before OSX -- it goes back to the implementation of HFS (Hierarchical File System) which began back in version 4 of the operating system if I recall correctly (about 1989)

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #127
herbman

I was aware of that. I honestly didn't put it in myself, it was what the Finder did to the path. This seems like a JDK bug if anything.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #128
Yoav

Quote:
Yeah, this was an "Audio/Video" dir I had underneath the /Applications in the Finder GUI. It translated to a colon in the shell. I moved back to regular /Applications and it worked. After that it was all about issues with streambaby, which I've been posting in that thread. I made the change that he talked about (the not autodeleting previews thing) and so as long as I never click 'Restart' in your app it won't overwrite that file, right?
That is correct. Restart will re-write the config file. Otherwise, nothing else will. The newest beta (1.1b4) fixes the 'autodelete' bug too btw...

Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #129
herbman

Quote:
That is correct. Restart will re-write the config file. Otherwise, nothing else will. The newest beta (1.1b4) fixes the 'autodelete' bug too btw...
Great. I'll try it out when I get home. Any other updates?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #130
Yoav

Quote:
Great. I'll try it out when I get home. Any other updates?
the shared libraries should work with this update, although kearygriffin is probably going to post a new release of his code, after which I'll integrate it and put up another beta..

Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #131
kearygriffin

Quote:
the shared libraries should work with this update, although kearygriffin is probably going to post a new release of his code, after which I'll integrate it and put up another beta..
And I actually just made the autodelete code a little smarter so it won't fail on recursive symlinks, and also should be faster/use less memory in general. (It was brain-dead in many many ways... ;-) The new version should be up tonight.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #132
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
And I actually just made the autodelete code a little smarter so it won't fail on recursive symlinks, and also should be faster/use less memory in general. (It was brain-dead in many many ways... ;-) The new version should be up tonight.
So can I re-enable autodelete in the next release?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #133
kearygriffin

Quote:
So can I re-enable autodelete in the next release?
I believe so, but I'll let herbman be the final judge of whether or not my fixes work ;-)
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #134
pkscout

I like the addition of the option to stream and/or have stuff in the Now Playing list. I wonder if there would be value in being able to assign a specific share as streamed versus in Now Playing (or both) rather than having it a global setting. I have some shares that make sense as folders in Now Playing and a couple that really make more sense as streaming.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #135
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post
I like the addition of the option to stream and/or have stuff in the Now Playing list. I wonder if there would be value in being able to assign a specific share as streamed versus in Now Playing (or both) rather than having it a global setting. I have some shares that make sense as folders in Now Playing and a couple that really make more sense as streaming.
Hmm.. I guess I can add a type called 'video - stream' , 'video -download' , and 'video both'.. or.. ermm.. trying to figure how to do this while keeping the interface basic and simple..

Edit: Ok, just added video:stream, videoytivo (and the old video setting will apply to both). Not sure it's a good idea yet... but we'll see -- can always back the changes out if people seem confused... Trying to keep this program *VERY simple*. If you generally want to play with more advanced values, you may want to edit the files in
~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/
and avoid hitting the 'restart' button (that overwrites them).

Last edited by Yoav : 01-23-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #136
luvmytivo

Geez,
It seems I'm jumping back into the SA TiVo world at the right time - the availability of these features on MacOS is very nice, and you've done a great job simplifying and implementing them. Hat tip to you my good man.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #137
Yoav

Ok, the next beta is up, with the latest streambaby code, some new icons for the buttons, and the ability to select videos that are only streamed or only downloaded... Bug reports appreciated...

Old 01-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #138
pkscout

Quote:
Ok, the next beta is up, with the latest streambaby code, some new icons for the buttons, and the ability to select videos that are only streamed or only downloaded... Bug reports appreciated...
It's working well for me. And I like the selection drop down. I agree that you need to keep it simple, and I think you found a good balance by setting a default that is easy for a beginning user.

I also like the APPLY button instead of RESTART. I know RESTART is technically right, but APPLY makes me feel like the program actually saved my changes.

Did you change something with the network detection stuff? Before this beta I used to have to restart pyTiVoX a couple of times before the shares would show up in the NP list. Now it seems to work consistently on the first restart.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #139
herbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
I believe so, but I'll let herbman be the final judge of whether or not my fixes work ;-)
Works for me! Also, love the new log format.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #140
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedelman View Post
To contribute about the use of a colon...

Colon was the separator used in the Mac OS before OSX -- it goes back to the implementation of HFS (Hierarchical File System) which began back in version 4 of the operating system if I recall correctly (about 1989)
More like version 3 of the OS, circa 1986. System 3.2 was the first stable HFS release back then...it was widely used in my Mac lab in college.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #141
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Quote:
OK, that was my first dumb question in that did pyTivoX come with streambaby or was it expecting to already by in the Applications folder. I think you're telling is that it's baked in, especially since I have it working now on my G4 Leopard Server.

Unfortunately, a dual-G4 450 Mhz Mac makes a really slow transcoding machine. A test MKV video I ripped does stream correctly but the Mac can't keep up with it in real time.

Still waiting for Apple to upgrade the Mac Mini so I can buy a new cheap server....
Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #142
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post
Did you change something with the network detection stuff? Before this beta I used to have to restart pyTiVoX a couple of times before the shares would show up in the NP list. Now it seems to work consistently on the first restart.
Nope, nothing changed in the network detection stuff. Not really sure why it's consistently working (also, not really sure why it didn't work before...)

Old 01-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #143
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
OK, that was my first dumb question in that did pyTivoX come with streambaby or was it expecting to already by in the Applications folder. I think you're telling is that it's baked in, especially since I have it working now on my G4 Leopard Server.

Unfortunately, a dual-G4 450 Mhz Mac makes a really slow transcoding machine. A test MKV video I ripped does stream correctly but the Mac can't keep up with it in real time.

Still waiting for Apple to upgrade the Mac Mini so I can buy a new cheap server....
Yep it's built-in (the main selling point of pyTivoX is that it's trivial for people to use. Just download, install, and run).

That said, if transcoding is very slow, may I suggest you use the pytivo mode instead? (check under now playing). While it won't let you fast forward into sections you haven't downloaded yet, it will not skip due to slow conversions -- it will just take longer to download if the conversion is going slowly...

Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #144
gu014

Hello,

I have some dvdrips on my mac. I play them on the mac and the audio/video is perfectly in sync.

When i watch them on the tivo using pytivox the audio is out of sync by about 1.5 seconds.

Any ideas?
gu014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #145
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu014 View Post
Hello,

I have some dvdrips on my mac. I play them on the mac and the audio/video is perfectly in sync.

When i watch them on the tivo using pytivox the audio is out of sync by about 1.5 seconds.

Any ideas?
Well, it sounds like it might be an issue with the underlying 'pytivo' server, but before we go any further, can you elaborate a little more:
1) what kind of mac
2) what format did you rip it to? mkv? mp4? vob? avi? other?
3) Do you know what video encoding was used? (h.264? xvid? mpeg-2?) at what bitrate?
4) Do you know what audio encoding? (ac-3? mp3? aac?) bitrate? was it variable?
5) are you using the streambaby option in the beta? (under showcases) or the pytivo (under now playing..) to access the movie...
6) When you play it on your mac, what tool do you use...?

(often when files are 'converted' around, audio/video sync issues can happen -- pytivo has to convert your rip to a valid mpeg-2 that tivo accepts, so the conversion might be a problem... but some more info would help first. This may just be an encoding that ffmpeg does not work well with for converting...)

I did a quick perusal of the pytivo boards for similar problems, and found many similar queries:
pytivo support boards. Mostly it sounds like some formats are problematic for ffmpeg (the underlying converter).

Last edited by Yoav : 01-24-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #146
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Yep it's built-in (the main selling point of pyTivoX is that it's trivial for people to use. Just download, install, and run).

That said, if transcoding is very slow, may I suggest you use the pytivo mode instead? (check under now playing). While it won't let you fast forward into sections you haven't downloaded yet, it will not skip due to slow conversions -- it will just take longer to download if the conversion is going slowly...
pytivo does transcoding on the fly from the Now Playing list? I have to try that!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #147
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
pytivo does transcoding on the fly from the Now Playing list? I have to try that!
Ermm, it does transcoding on-the-fly from your media folder and downloads to the now playing list (so is that a yes or no to your question?).

If you want something that transcodes on the fly from your now playing list to your media folder, that's what iTiVo is for...

Old 01-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #148
gu014

Quote:
Well, it sounds like it might be an issue with the underlying 'pytivo' server, but before we go any further, can you elaborate a little more:
1) what kind of mac
2) what format did you rip it to? mkv? mp4? vob? avi? other?
3) Do you know what video encoding was used? (h.264? xvid? mpeg-2?) at what bitrate?
4) Do you know what audio encoding? (ac-3? mp3? aac?) bitrate? was it variable?
5) are you using the streambaby option in the beta? (under showcases) or the pytivo (under now playing..) to access the movie...
6) When you play it on your mac, what tool do you use...?

(often when files are 'converted' around, audio/video sync issues can happen -- pytivo has to convert your rip to a valid mpeg-2 that tivo accepts, so the conversion might be a problem... but some more info would help first. This may just be an encoding that ffmpeg does not work well with for converting...)

I did a quick perusal of the pytivo boards for similar problems, and found many similar queries:
pytivo support boards. Mostly it sounds like some formats are problematic for ffmpeg (the underlying converter).
Thank you for your response - Here are the answers:
1 - i am using an intel imac(2.2ghz, 4gb ram)
2 - .avi
3,4 - The audio/video specs:
  • AUDiO......[ MP3 48000Hz 112 kb/s CBR (2 chnls) * * * * * * * *
  • LANGUAGE...[ English * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • ViDEO......[ 757 kbps XviD 23.976 FPS * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • Q. FRAME...[ 0.177 bits*pixel * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • RESOLUTiON.[ 664 x 268 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • DAR........[ 2.478 (57:23) * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
  • SUBS.......[ None * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • FiLES......[ 1 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • SiZE.......[ 701 MB * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • SOURCE.....[ DVD

5 - I am using pytivo under 'now playing'
6 - It plays perfectly using quicktime and vlc on my imac

Hopefully this is helpful!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #149
designbot
Internet Cliché

Smile Wow

God bless you, sir. I spent forever trying to get pyTivo running, with no luck. This will save me so much time transcoding files in VisualHub.

Great work!

The only issue I've noticed is that AAC audio files don't play correctly, but TiVo Desktop has the same problem.

Thank you!
designbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #150
gu014

Is there a way to stream widescreen content as is and not have it stretch to go full screen.

When i use mac2tivo it streams widescreen content as is.

Sorry, for the elementary terminology. I am not incredible familiar with aspect ratios and such.