TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #61
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't think the TiVo can handle 15 fps. You might have to force it to be transcoded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #62
bzo

wow, this is nice. I liked tivostream, but the transcoding and positioning take it to the next level.

Should it be possible to transcode and play mjpeg avi files? I tried a few clips from my digital camera but I just get an stream failed message on the tivo and no error messages on the streambaby console or log.

Also, I got a couple of crashes when trying to play some wmv files with the JIT complaining about something. I have not be able to reproduce it since, but will capture the exception if I see it again.
bzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #63
ajayabb

Still can't get this to run on my desktop, yet was able to get it going on my laptop. When I run the application the window opens and closes quickly yet never scans video directory with ffmpeg as it did on my laptop. I checked my firewall and made sure the port was open(TCP Outgoing). In my task manager it shows StreamBaby is running. I have Java 1.6 on both computers. I am running Galleon and Pytivo on my desktop though and not on my laptop. Any ideas.

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #64
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
I just put a new version 0.18 up:
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/
Works for me now.

The play bar is noticeably off-center.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #65
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayabb View Post
Still can't get this to run on my desktop, yet was able to get it going on my laptop. When I run the application the window opens and closes quickly yet never scans video directory with ffmpeg as it did on my laptop. I checked my firewall and made sure the port was open(TCP Outgoing). In my task manager it shows StreamBaby is running. I have Java 1.6 on both computers. I am running Galleon and Pytivo on my desktop though and not on my laptop. Any ideas.
Edit streambaby.ini and change port from 7288 to something else as on your desktop that port is likely already in use. If still not running then start "cmd" window and start streambaby.bat script from there so you can see the error messages.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #66
ajayabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Edit streambaby.ini and change port from 7288 to something else as on your desktop that port is likely already in use. If still not running then start "cmd" window and start streambaby.bat script from there so you can see the error messages.
How should the script be typed in the command window?

TIA

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Old 01-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #67
windracer
joined the 10k club

At a DOS prompt from the directory you've installed streambaby to, just type streambaby.bat and press Enter.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #68
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok I'm starting to get burned out here. I tried putting the libraries in /usr/local/lib, tried using the DYLD_* variables to force locations, etc. It really feels like the app is not even trying to load the libraries...
I'll try some more tomorrow. At worst I'll drop the shared libs from the distribution and just let it run with the ffmpegexe module....
Thanks for all your efforts- If it makes sense and you are still willing it may make sense to hold off and get on IM at some point while your testing and I can make changes on the fly as necessary for debugging/trying new things etc. I'll also put together an initial version that dumps out lots more information about trying to load the libraries. Right now a lot of the exceptions are trapped, as not being able to load the native libraries is considered a normal (although not optimal) thing. It may help for me to dump the stack traces.

The other option you mention of just shipping with ffmpeg and forgetting about the native-libraries is also a very acceptable option.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #69
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I don't think the TiVo can handle 15 fps. You might have to force it to be transcoded.
I'll have to add checking (after I fix the fact that streambaby often doesn't parse the fps correctly) to force streambaby to transcode videos with incompatible FPS. I haven't tested it, but I am guessing the tivo can basically handle all of the standard mpeg-2 frame rates(?)

One other currently incompatible video type that people might notice (the symptom is getting audio-only, no video) is MP4's marked as H264 Level 5.1. The tivo only supports upto level 4.1. I'm debating what to do about this, but my gut reaction tells me to just patch the moov header to lie to the TiVo and tell it is a Level 4.1 stream. My guess is that 99% of all H264 MP4 files that are marked as Level 5.1 really don't need to be.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #70
Yoav

Question to any mac user who has tried streambaby:
Are you successfully loading the dynamic libs?

(I'm trying to figure out if/what I'm doing wrong)

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #71
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Question to any mac user who has tried streambaby:
Are you successfully loading the dynamic libs?
This may be a dumb question - what would be the symptoms if my streambaby was NOT loading the dynamic libs? Would it not run at all, or would there be some specific error/warning reported? I'm asking because, as far as I know, streambaby is working for me - but I'm mostly streaming mp4s that don't need transcoding.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #72
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
This may be a dumb question - what would be the symptoms if my streambaby was NOT loading the dynamic libs? Would it not run at all, or would there be some specific error/warning reported? I'm asking because, as far as I know, streambaby is working for me - but I'm mostly streaming mp4s that don't need transcoding.
It would work fine (it would use ffmpeg the binary to generate the FF images), but if you enable the full logging you would see that it is not using the libraries.

To change the logging, edit the file 'simplelog.properties' in the streambaby directory, and change
Code:
com.unwiredappeal=Warn
to
Code:
com.unwiredappeal=debug
Then look at streambaby.log. In there it somewhere in the first twenty lines you should see "FFmpeg-Java module loaded"...

Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #73
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
It would work fine (it would use ffmpeg the binary to generate the FF images), but if you enable the full logging you would see that it is not using the libraries.

Then look at streambaby.log. In there it somewhere in the first twenty lines you should see "FFmpeg-Java module loaded"...
Okay, I've done this - and the libraries are not being loaded in my case either.

I assumed I needed to add the following lines to my config, so it knew where to find my fink libraries:

Code:
ffmpegjava.avutil=/sw/lib/libavutil.49.dylib
ffmpegjava.avcodec=/sw/lib/libavcodec.51.dylib
ffmpegjava.avformat=/sw/lib/libavformat.52.dylib
ffmpegjava.swscale=/sw/lib/libswscale.0.dylib

Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #74
Yoav

yeah I think that's the intent. Ok so I guess it's time to go in and debug the code as opposed to my configuration/build of ffmpeg... Thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #75
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Question about a different problem

Once thing I've noticed with both tivostream and streambaby - for the first 10 seconds or so of a video I'll see either colored blocks or else pieces/entire scenes from a previous stream I'd been watching.

If I use pyTivo to view any of the videos, there are no problems at the beginning or anywhere else.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #76
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Once thing I've noticed with both tivostream and streambaby - for the first 10 seconds or so of a video I'll see either colored blocks or else pieces/entire scenes from a previous stream I'd been watching.
I see the same thing ... almost like the stream isn't "all there" but eventually it all "fills in."

|
Old 01-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #77
moyekj

Quote:

If I use pyTivo to view any of the videos, there are no problems at the beginning or anywhere else.
That's only the case for .mp4 files from what I've seen. I think the Tivo mp4 decoder hardware has it's own buffer that is not cleared out and still contains data from previous stream and that needs to empty out before it starts showing the new content properly. I could be wrong but this effects seems to be worse in 11.x versus 9.x software.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #78
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
That's only the case for .mp4 files from what I've seen. I think the Tivo mp4 decoder hardware has it's own buffer that is not cleared out and still contains data from previous stream and that needs to empty out before it starts showing the new content properly. I could be wrong but this effects seems to be worse in 11.x versus 9.x software.
That would fit what I've seen - I hadn't noticed it with other streamed media (does that get transcoded to mpeg2 rather than mp4?), but most of my stuff is already mp4 so I see it a lot.

Windracer - glad to hear it's not just me!

So maybe we need the option to pad the beginning of every stream with ~ 10 seconds of black screen?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #79
moyekj

pyTivo transcodes any non-mpeg2 to mpeg2 which is why you wouldn't see this issue with it.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #80
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
pyTivo transcodes any non-mpeg2 to mpeg2 which is why you wouldn't see this issue with it.
Sorry I wasn't clear - what I meant was: Does streambaby (and tivostream) transcode non-mp4 materials to mpeg2 rather than mpeg4? I'm just wondering why, if the problem is at the Tivo end, we only see it if we're streaming mp4s.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #81
moyekj

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear - what I meant was: Does streambaby (and tivostream) transcode non-mp4 materials to mpeg2 rather than mpeg4? I'm just wondering why, if the problem is at the Tivo end, we only see it if we're streaming mp4s.
streambaby is set to transcode to mpeg2 anything that cannot be natively streamed to Tivo which is why you don't see the issue for those.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #82
Yoav

Ok making progress.. I've been sticking a bunch of prints all over the place, and here's what I caught when it tried to load the libavutil:
Code:
getLibraryInstance1 : /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavutil.dylib
catch getLibraryInstance2 : java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Unable to load library '/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavutil.dylib': dlopen(/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavutil.dylib, 1): Symbol not found: ___stderrp
  Referenced from: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavutil.dylib
  Expected in: /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/libavutil.dylib
So it looks like something needs to be dynamically loaded first... Will update more in a bit...
edit: Looks like that symbol is defined in libSystem.dylib..

Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #83
milkrun
Milk Run

I will try the latest pyTivoX with streambaby and report on how idiot proof it is.
Thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #84
ajayabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
At a DOS prompt from the directory you've installed streambaby to, just type streambaby.bat and press Enter.
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
I get the following error when I try to run the logs

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\AJAY>cd C:\Program Files\streambaby-0.18

C:\Program Files\streambaby-0.18>streambaby.bat
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files\streambaby-0.18>

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Old 01-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #85
herbman

Quote:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
I get the following error when I try to run the logs

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\AJAY>cd C:\Program Files\streambaby-0.18

C:\Program Files\streambaby-0.18>streambaby.bat
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files\streambaby-0.18>
You'll need to install the JRE. It can be downloaded at http://java.com
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #86
herbman

Hi, I'm trying your application out (albeit, under pyTivoX), and when I start the program it hangs on "Initializing..." for a few minutes and then prints this trace:
nitializing...
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.<init>(AbstractStringBuilder .java:44)
at java.lang.StringBuffer.<init>(StringBuffer.java:92)
at java.net.URI.decode(URI.java:2743)
at java.net.URI.getPath(URI.java:1303)
at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:345)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.dir.DirEntry.<init>(DirEntry.java:39)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.dir.DirEntry.fillEntryList(DirEntry.j ava:142)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.dir.DirEntry.loadEntries(DirEntry.jav a:98)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.dir.DirEntry.getEntryList(DirEntry.ja va:83)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.PreviewCacheUtils.recursiv eFill(PreviewCacheUtils.java:52)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.PreviewCacheUtils.recursiv eFill(PreviewCacheUtils.java:93)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.PreviewCacheUtils.recursiv eFill(PreviewCacheUtils.java:93)

Edit I tried bumping up to -Xmx1024m but the same problem exists.. My movies folder has 2367 files (not necessarily all supported by streambaby), and there's also a symlink in there. Are either of these problems?

Last edited by herbman : 01-22-2009 at 06:46 PM.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #87
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.
Looks like you don't have java installed ... which is weird because aren't you also running Galleon?

|
Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #88
ajayabb

Quote:
Looks like you don't have java installed ... which is weird because aren't you also running Galleon?
Yep

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #89
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbman View Post
I tried bumping up to -Xmx1024m but the same problem exists.. My movies folder has 2367 files (not necessarily all supported by streambaby), and there's also a symlink in there. Are either of these problems?
The symlnik is probably the problem, as it looks like it is going into endless recursion trying to clean out the cache directory (which I actually thought was disabled by default, but I could be wrong)

Could you check your streambaby.ini file and see if you see a line:
autogenerate.delete=true

And if so, setting it false should work-around problem.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #90
kearygriffin

Quote:
Galleon is probably smarter. Streambaby just assumes the java command is on the path. This was fine for my testing for Vista, but maybe it's not true for some (most?) versions of windows?