TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #151
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
Ok, this plays in VLC and looks beautiful. Thanks

Toast however does want to encode the video.. not sure there.
Ooh I may have found something that helps here:

select "DVD" as the format. Then go to advanced, and look at the video settings. You need to add a muxrate=36000 option to the format... To do that:

delete the encoder video options (completely) and paste this in there:
Code:
-ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf:muxrate=36000 -vf scale=720:480,harddup -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:trell:mbd=2:precmp=2:subcmp=2:cmp=2:dia=-10:predia=-10:cbp:mv0:vqmin=1:lmin=1:dc=10:vstrict=0:aspect=16/9
I think that will make it work in quicktime.. Can't say anything about toast though.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #152
cuyahoga

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
No stupid moment. Apple tried to make life difficult (user-friendly) by hiding /tmp. Apparently if you open the finder, choose Go/Go to Folder... and then type /tmp in there, it will open /tmp up

There should be a directory named iTiVo-<yourusername> in there.
Copy the file named iTiVo.log out of there.
______

Open up /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
and in there, run

Code:
osascript /Applications/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/elgato.scpt a b c d e f g
Tell me if that starts the program at least... (yeah those are completely bogus files I'm asking it to run on.. but hey.. it should still start it)
I've attached the log, renamed with a .txt extension.

And, the bit of script code you gave me does launch the turbo.264 app when I put the line of code in the terminal.
Attached Files
File Type: txt iTiVolog.txt (29.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #153
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga View Post
I've attached the log, renamed with a .txt extension.

And, the bit of script code you gave me does launch the turbo.264 app when I put the line of code in the terminal.
Ok, I see the problem. (my bad). the elgato iPhone setting was missing a video encoder argument.

Select AppleTV iPhone, and go under Advanced, encoder video options.
put in 'iPhone' (capitalization matters) there, and select "OK"

Whenever you change format, your changes will be lost by the way. So you'll need to add iPhone in there each time you change format.

I *believe* it should work now. (Or try using the elgato AppleTV setting instead). I will fix this in the next beta release...

Old 01-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #154
Yoav

Quote:
with mpeg-2 native selected, the commercial skip button is grayed out.
Is this some sort of joke? Isn't that the exact text of the first reply in this thread? Mpeg-2 native format hasn't been available for several versions. Please update your program.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #155
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Is this some sort of joke?
No, but it's some sort of spam. This user is just here to pimp something, it seems... I'm not sure the mods are doing all they can to minimize this sort of interruption here.

Pay no heed, carry on, and thanks for all of your great work and support, Yoav.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #156
zero hectic

Hey Yoav, thanks for a great piece of software. Hoping you could help me out.

I've been trying to use Decrypt/Copy to snatch shows off my Tivo, strip out the commercials, then take the file over to Handbrake and use a custom preset I've been using that gives me a high quality file that's playable on both the Apple TV and my iPhone. Problem is, whenever iTivo gets to the third phase (copy) mencoder crashes, leaving me with maybe a few minutes worth of video.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Here's the log file:

curl 'hxxp://192.168.0.106:80/download/Leverage.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=491315' -c /tmp/cookies.txt --retry 12 --retry-delay 10 --digest -u tivo:8140656381 -o /tmp/iTiVo-mrubio/iTiVoDLPipe --stderr /tmp/iTiVo-mrubio/iTiVoDL
/Applications/iTiVo-1.7/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/tivodecode -n -D -m 8140656381 -o /tmp/iTiVo-mrubio/iTiVoDLPipe2.mpg /tmp/iTiVo-mrubio/iTiVoDLPipe
Encryption by QUALCOMM

End of File

1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.000071 secs (14461169 bytes/sec)

/Applications/iTiVo-1.7/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/mencoder -edl /tmp/iTiVo-mrubio/iTiVoDLPipe2.edl -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg2:tsaf:muxrate=36000 -noskip -mc 0 -forceidx -oac copy -hr-edl-seek -o /Users/mrubio/Downloads/Tivo\ Downloads/Leverage\ -\ The\ Wedding\ Job.mpg /tmp/iTiVo-mrubio/iTiVoDLPipe2.mpg >/tmp/iTiVo-mrubio/iTiVoDL2 2>&1

sh: line 1: 46280 Bus error /Applications/iTiVo-1.7/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/mencoder -edl /tmp/iTiVo-mrubio/iTiVoDLPipe2.edl -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg2:tsaf:muxrate=36000 -noskip -mc 0 -forceidx -oac copy -hr-edl-seek -o /Users/mrubio/Downloads/Tivo\ Downloads/Leverage\ -\ The\ Wedding\ Job.mpg /tmp/iTiVo-mrubio/iTiVoDLPipe2.mpg > /tmp/iTiVo-mrubio/iTiVoDL2 2>&1
zero hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:38 AM   #157
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero hectic View Post
I've been trying to use Decrypt/Copy to snatch shows off my Tivo, strip out the commercials, then take the file over to Handbrake and use a custom preset I've been using that gives me a high quality file that's playable on both the Apple TV and my iPhone. (snip)...
You're gonna hate this answer:

I wish I could help.. but it looks like mencoder is crashing on the input. There's not much I can do about it (unfortunately, cutting commercials is only done via mencoder, and for some reason mencoder is barfing on your input).

Some things to try:

check if you can manually run mencoder (no arguments). Does it always crash? (if so, then the build of mencoder is broken, and I can look into fixing it).

Does everything work fine if you use 'HandBrake iPhone' as the download format?
(if so, we can still make this work).

Make sure you have enough space on your main hard drive to hold DOUBLE the size of the original movie...?

Is it working fine if you disable commercial skipping?

Manually run each of those command in the log:
(curl to fetch the file, tivodecode to strip the encoding, comskip to detect commercials, mencoder to strip them out) and see if you're still getting the crash -- if you are, you can play with the mencoder invocation to see if you can get it to be happy...)

By the way, on an unrelated note. You can tell iTiVo to use Handbrake as the encoder, and fully control all the settings (it's documented in the FAQ). So you wouldn't have to manually load up the file into HandBrake to encode it. Unfortunately, it will still use mencoder to strip out the commercials -- and that's the part that seems to be crashing...

Last edited by Yoav : 01-16-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:23 AM   #158
vasu

I have a question about de-interlacing that I'm hoping to get some help with. I searched the forum, and this thread, and did a google search, but haven't seen an answer yet, so sorry if this has been answered, i'm new to the forum

I just used iTivo to pull off tonight's episode of battlestar galactica, and used the Quicktime H264 5megabit option with commercial skip. The resulting file looks great, but is interlaced 1080i.

Is there a way I can enable de-interlacing to this preset? I wasn't sure what mencoder flag to add...
vasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #159
Yoav

Go under 'Prefs, Advanced'
Look at the encoder video options.
In there will be a chunk labeled
Code:
-vf harddup
Change it to
Code:
 -vf pp=lb,harddup
(or you can use any of the other ones, like
Code:
 -vf pp=ci,harddup
 -vf yadif=1:1,mcdeint=2:1:10,harddup
A full examination of the deinterlacers and what they look like is available at http://guru.multimedia.cx/deinterlacing-filters/. Keep in mind that if your source is 'telecined' a de-interlacer may make things look worse (you'd want to inverse telecine it). Also, the de-interlacing will probably slow down the encoder somewhat. It's all fun and games...

Last edited by Yoav : 01-17-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #160
steinbch

Rename Program

Kudos to the author of this program! It is exactly what I've been trying to do for a long time on my computer. The one question I have is does the program have the ability to change the name of a show downloaded and put into iTunes. For example, when I set up a subscription to The Colbert Report, after the import, iTunes reports the title of the program as "The Colbert Report 1531227". The number is apparently the ID number on the Tivo, but has nothing to do with the actual program. Is it possible to have the episode number instead, or even the date?

Thanks!
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #161
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbch View Post
Kudos to the author of this program! It is exactly what I've been trying to do for a long time on my computer. The one question I have is does the program have the ability to change the name of a show downloaded and put into iTunes. For example, when I set up a subscription to The Colbert Report, after the import, iTunes reports the title of the program as "The Colbert Report 1531227". The number is apparently the ID number on the Tivo, but has nothing to do with the actual program. Is it possible to have the episode number instead, or even the date?

Thanks!
As coded right now, unfortunately no. (other than of course renaming it by hand, or writing a macro to do that for you). Shows are always named 'show name - episode title', with two exceptions: Movies just get the movie title, and shows without episode titles (like the Colbert Report) get the tivo ID number -- This is to keep it unique (some shows don't provide an episode ID either, and broadcast multiple shows the same day -- so tivo ID is the only guaranteed unique thing there).

There *is* a feature request to allow you to specify a 'pattern' for the filename (so that you can override whatever iTiVo chooses with things like episode ID etc). But that's not coded (yet?).

Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #162
vasu

Hey Yoav

thanks for the quick reply on how setup de-interlacing. However, when I add in that extra flag, mencoder crashes right after it starts encoding. It does this if commercial skip is turned on or off, and mencoder encodes just fine using any of the presets. This is what I have pasted in..

Quote:
-of lavf -lavfopts format=ipod -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=5000:bframes=0:level_idc=41:threads=auto:global_head er -vf yadif=1:1,mcdeint=2:1:10,harddup

Old 01-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #163
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasu View Post
Hey Yoav

thanks for the quick reply on how setup de-interlacing. However, when I add in that extra flag, mencoder crashes right after it starts encoding. It does this if commercial skip is turned on or off, and mencoder encodes just fine using any of the presets. This is what I have pasted in..
I notice there's a space in the word 'header' (it's written out as 'head er'). Is that a typo when copying or is that how it is in the video options? (that space will make mencoder fail as it will be an invalid argument).
I'll also warn you that the yadiff deinterlacing gets very slow and jerky on some inputs.. (I'm a fan of pp=lb, but that's personal preference I guess)

Old 01-21-2009, 01:48 AM   #164
vasu

Quote:
I notice there's a space in the word 'header' (it's written out as 'head er'). Is that a typo when copying or is that how it is in the video options? (that space will make mencoder fail as it will be an invalid argument).
I'll also warn you that the yadiff deinterlacing gets very slow and jerky on some inputs.. (I'm a fan of pp=lb, but that's personal preference I guess)
The space in header was just something the forum added. When I changed the deinterlacing method from yadif to lb, it stopped crashing!

Do you happen to know if a flag can be added to resize down to 720p?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:05 AM   #165
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasu View Post
Do you happen to know if a flag can be added to resize down to 720p?
Well you just stepped on a landmine!!!

There again are tons of flags, depending on what you're trying to achieve. What's worse is that 720p isn't necessarily meaningful. I assume you're just trying to scale it down to 1280x720 but not change the frame rate?

If you put a
Code:
   -vf scale=1280:720
It will attempt to resize it to 1280x720. (note that you can just add that to other -vf flags by seperating them with a comma).

You *may* prefer to use something like
Code:
 -vf dsize=1280:720:0
Which will resize the image to fit in 1280x720 without stretching it. If your original source is 1080p the 'scale' flag above works just as well.

There are actually a bunch of other possibilities to deal with issues about scaling not being divisible by certain numbers (a requirement of certain implementations of mp4), etc. But basically, try things and see if they work. If they don't.. google is probably your best friend.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #166
hassgocubs

An oddity

Yoav:

First, just awesome work on all this, and I can't thank you enough!

I don't quite know if this is a bug on your end or on iTunes end, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Last weekend was the first weekend of me using 1.7. Everything downloaded fine using iPhone super settings, complete with the new updating of the meta tags.

When I inputted the files into iTunes, it took without a problem. But when I went in to change some of the ID3 data, it took iTunes anywhere from 90 seconds to three minutes to rewrite the tags, with a "writing tags" dialog box holding everything up.

When I did a google search on "itunes writing tags" I found this thread on the Apple boards: discussions (dot) apple (dot) com/thread (dot) jspa (questionmark) threadID=1840921 (ampersand) tstart=14

Any thoughts or suggestions? It's not a show stopper by any stretch, but it's a bit of a pain.

Thanks again for everything! If you're ever in Detroit, there's a beverage of your choice waiting!

Joe Hass
hassgocubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #167
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassgocubs View Post
Yoav:
When I inputted the files into iTunes, it took without a problem. But when I went in to change some of the ID3 data, it took iTunes anywhere from 90 seconds to three minutes to rewrite the tags, with a "writing tags" dialog box holding everything up.
I looked at the threaded discussion that you were pointing at. And yes it seems like there's a problem with iTunes and retagging certain files. However, there's no solution or workaround proposed, so I dont know what I can do about it...
I haven't seen this happen myself (I don't really manually edit my tags much). It *is* possible that AtomicParsley (the auto-tagger) inserts too much data for itunes to handle. Or iTunes is failing to find a useful spot to tag in the file. Have you tried using iMetaX to tag instead of itunes?

Also, it's possible to simply strip everything and see if that improves anything... look at

http://lostify.com/2008/02/11/fixing...9t-read-redux/

He has a tool called Squeegyfi to do that.

I *should* point out that it's certainly an iTunes bug and that unless apple fixes it, we're going to need to find ways of 'not tickling' the bug.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #168
hassgocubs

Quote:
I *should* point out that it's certainly an iTunes bug and that unless apple fixes it, we're going to need to find ways of 'not tickling' the bug.
Understood. The board implied that as well, but since the only thing that changed was on the software, I just thought I'd check with you. I didn't mean to upset, and my apologies for doing so.

Thanks for the help, and again, thanks for this great piece of software!
hassgocubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #169
psywzrd

If I want to just pull a show off of my Tivo at the best possible quality (it's an HD sporting event), do I just select the Decrypt option?
psywzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #170
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
If I want to just pull a show off of my Tivo at the best possible quality (it's an HD sporting event), do I just select the Decrypt option?
That is correct, but with a major caveat: The 'decrypt' option generates a file that some programs do not know how to read (notably, quicktime/itunes). They will claim (incorrectly) that it is not a movie file.

You have two options:

The first option is to re-encode it, but at a very high bitrate, and original size. That will generally take a VERY long time, but it's doubtful you will notice any quality loss (there will be some, but your eye won't be able to detect it). I'd use something like 'quicktime h.264 5mbps'.

Your second option is to use 'decrypt', but only use a viewer that accepts the decrypted files. Those include Mplayer OSX, and VLC. Alternatively, some viewers (like Plex) re-encode using ffmpeg, which can also read those files.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #171
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassgocubs View Post
I didn't mean to upset, and my apologies for doing so.

Thanks for the help, and again, thanks for this great piece of software!
Woops, sorry. I wasn't upset (sorry to have come off that way). I was just trying to explain that I'm happy to apply a workaround but that I don't know of one. I think the reason it only started with 1.7 is because 1.7 was the first version to actually use metadata tagging inside the mp4. Before then we were just asking itunes to change its data for the file. You should still (I hope) be able to scrape out the tags using that squeegee tool, and hopefully itunes will be ok with changing them then?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #172
psywzrd

Quote:
That is correct, but with a major caveat: The 'decrypt' option generates a file that some programs do not know how to read (notably, quicktime/itunes). They will claim (incorrectly) that it is not a movie file.

You have two options:

The first option is to re-encode it, but at a very high bitrate, and original size. That will generally take a VERY long time, but it's doubtful you will notice any quality loss (there will be some, but your eye won't be able to detect it). I'd use something like 'quicktime h.264 5mbps'.

Your second option is to use 'decrypt', but only use a viewer that accepts the decrypted files. Those include Mplayer OSX, and VLC. Alternatively, some viewers (like Plex) re-encode using ffmpeg, which can also read those files.
What should I do if my ultimate goal is to eventually burn that file to DVD (hopefully BluRay) at some point? Like I said, this is an HD sporting event (a football game) and the running time is just over 4 hours. I used the Decrypt option and the file size on my Mac is almost 31GB.
psywzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #173
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
What should I do if my ultimate goal is to eventually burn that file to DVD (hopefully BluRay) at some point? Like I said, this is an HD sporting event (a football game) and the running time is just over 4 hours. I used the Decrypt option and the file size on my Mac is almost 31GB.
I believe blu-ray uses h.264 as the encoder, so the quicktime h.264 encoding (if you're willing to sit it out) should work fine.

I believe that setting doesn't keep AC3 audio though (dolby digital) which some HD programs use... it converts it to AAC. For a sporting event that shouldn't matter.. but if it's a movie, you may want to manually change the options. Sadly, if you change it back to AC-3, quicktime will not play it again..
(yes.. encoding is a bitch).

Old 01-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #174
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Just curious - have you reported it as such to Apple? Hopefully this will help...
Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #175
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Just curious - have you reported it as such to Apple? Hopefully this will help...
Me? No. I don't even know how one reports bugs to apple . I generally figured unless I'm a paying developer customer of theirs, my bug report will be politely filed somewhere and never looked at.... am I wrong?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #176
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I report bugs all the time, and I'm not a paying developer (and I'd do this one, but it's beyond my understanding.) All you need, I believe, is a free ADC membership.

https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/RadarWeb
http://developer.apple.com/BugReporter/

I have gotten good response (follow up questions via email, even) and know they take it seriously. Very seriously. In some cases, I've even see my feedback lead to a fix.

The other way I know of, open to the "general public" is this one:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html
...but my hunch is it's not taken quite as seriously as the link above.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #177
Yoav

Hm, two things:

1) I am unable to reproduce the bug. I've tried changing everything, and itunes happily accepts it.

2) The discussion is on the apple developers board, so I'm assuming someone has already reported it.

Have you tried updating your itunes? Maybe they fixed it and that's why I can't get it to trigger?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #178
Czachorski

I just downloaded this program and installed it, and found that it works real well, is easy to use, and a great utility. I just wanted to drop a note of thanks!
Czachorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #179
NA9D

I just discovered this program and it looks good but a couple things. One is a suggestion and the other a problem.

The problem first:

- I just finished converting my first show. Using all the default settings in the program with the output type as iPhone/iPod super res. I've selected to cut commercials. The audio is well out of sync with the video - not just around the commercials - everywhere. This is the exact same problem I had when I was playing with TivoButler in the past. I could never get mencoder to properly sync audio. Is there a setting that needs to be adjusted? I'm surprised no one else is seeing this and it's just me. We're talking audio being off by probably 250 to 500 mSec.

OK, now the suggestion:

Quicktime can indeed play decrypted Tivo files which are MPEG-2. You simply need to purchase the MPEG-2 component for Quicktime from Apple.

Any help you can provide on the first is appreciated.
NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #180
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
- I just finished converting my first show. Using all the default settings in the program with the output type as iPhone/iPod super res. I've selected to cut commercials. The audio is well out of sync with the video - not just around the commercials - everywhere. This is the exact same problem I had when I was playing with TivoButler in the past. I could never get mencoder to properly sync audio. Is there a setting that needs to be adjusted? I'm surprised no one else is seeing this and it's just me. We're talking audio being off by probably 250 to 500 mSec.
Actually you are not alone in seeing this. It seems like it's an issue with the way mencoder rejoins the split up audio/video streams. I thought I was using 'all the flags' that are meant to reduce it, but unfortunately, nothing is guaranteed. It isn't happening for me anymore though, so I dunno what to suggest. I guess if it's a fixed 250ms, you can go into advanced, and add '-delay .25' to the list of options, and see if that helps any. Unfortunately, if the delay varies (and it usually will across a commercial cut) I don't think there's anything that can be done... (mind you, I'm using the iPhone setting, not iPhone super-res.. but I doubt that makes a difference). (you're using iPhone super-res.. not Handbrake iPhone .. right?)

Quote:
OK, now the suggestion:

Quicktime can indeed play decrypted Tivo files which are MPEG-2. You simply need to purchase the MPEG-2 component for Quicktime from Apple.
I don't own the component so can't test/verify, but I've been told by others that even the mpeg-2 component doesn't work right. Have you verified that it works with both HD and regular sources?