TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
kearygriffin

Streambaby - new streaming application

I wanted to let everyone know about a new streaming video application, StreamBaby:

you can find it at:
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/

It is originally based off of tivostream, and has the following main features:

* Random access streaming of video files. Able to seek to anywhere in the video. Also removes need for qt-faststart.
* Attempts to work around the 1.1G limit for streaming videos on the TiVo. If you reach the 1.1G limit, the video you are watching will be paused and restarted with a fresh buffer at the position you were in before.
* Ability to FF/RWD to points in the video that have not been buffered yet. When outside of the buffer, a "preview" of the movie (low-quality static images) will appear, and when play is pressed the video stream will be repositioned to start streaming at that point (ala Netflix/TiVo)
* Realtime preview generation for most file formats. Others (mpeg in particular) use autogenerated thumbnail files.
* Ability to transcode and stream video that is not inherently TiVo compatible. Supports most wmv, avi, and mkv. Preview mode and random-positioning work with most transcoded files.
* Remembers your position in the video when you stop watching and automatically starts at that position next time you watch. Works even when exiting playing via the "TiVo" button.

Please let me know what you think, or if you have any bugs/suggestions, etc.

Also I just wanted to make sure I thanked moyekj here for his work on tivostream, as well as his efforts in testing/debugging/code suggestions on Streambaby. Thanks! Thanks also to Steve C who also helped with suggestions and testing. Their efforts have hopefully helped make Streambaby a better application.

(Apologies for the repost, it was mentioned this may be a better forum for the thread)

Keary

Last edited by kearygriffin : 01-20-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Fix link
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
moyekj

Here's a direct link: streambaby
(Keary, you may be able to add a link in your signature already though I'm not sure if that will work yet either)

For any of you who are using video streaming application or tried one before and wasn't happy with it this is a must try. Keary did an excellent job adding new features, especially the random access anywhere in a video (even for mpeg4) and the workaround for the 1.1GB limit - stream is automatically restarted at the point where buffer ends while you are playing. The preview method ala Tivo/Netflix implementation is also a very cool feature not to mention the transcoding of non-compatible videos with ffmpeg similar to how it's done in pyTivo.

Great job Keary!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Hi,

First, thanks for working on this! It's great that we have so many talented people willing to work on these projects, and sharing their work with us.

Second... I ran into a problem. On Mac OS X 10.5.6, I get an error when I try to run streambaby.

Code:
$ ./streambaby
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:675)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:280)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:374)
Am I overlooking something obvious?
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
moyekj

westside_guy what version of Java Runtime Environment are you using? (java -version will tell you).
My guess is streambaby was compiled with java 1.6 and you are on an earlier version such as 1.5...

Keary, if it's possible you may want to re-compile with 1.5 to make it compatible for those using Macs as it seems they are a little behind on the java front.
(Then again there may be some code which is not 1.5 compatible so may not be possible).

Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

Got it working standalone on my Ubuntu 8.10 server ... now to get it working through Galleon.

Nice work! I like your icons. That preview feature during FF/RW is really slick.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
kearygriffin

westside_guy--

Streambaby was indeed compiled using JDK1.6 and is set to require it. I haven't looked at support JDK1.5, but I will take a look in the next version to see if it is easy to do. (It may just be a compile time setting and I'm all set)

Also, you may be (probably are) the first person to give this a try on a Mac, so if you do get JDK1.6 installed and Streambaby running, I'd be very interested to hear how well (or not at all...) it works.

Keary
Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

OS X has Java as part of its base install - and it's indeed at version 1.5 (1.5.0_16). I'll check to see how much of a pain it is to install 1.6...

Thanks guys.

Addendum: This is weird - OS X 10.5 actually has java 1.6; it's just not the default. I had to set it up as the default via a soft link, but now things launch just fine.

I'll report back once I've had a chance to run it through its paces on OS X.

Last edited by westside_guy : 01-20-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Yoav

Yay!

I'm installing Apple's (soon to be official?) version of 1.6. I'll tell you how it works out. But if you can get it to just work on 1.5, you'll make a lot of mac users happy. Java ships with the base OS, but the version it ships with is 1.5. Most of the 1.6 ports rely on X11 or other things.

What I'm saying is since we mac users like the "install and run" option, a lot of people simply won't even try the app if it requires a bunch of external installs first...

The good news: It (seems to) run fine with java 1.6 on a mac. So far it seems to be working perfectly with the videos I've tried.. yay.

If it can be made to work under 1.5, would you mind it I include it as a streamer option for pyTivoX (thereby rendering the program name misleading -- oh well). That way people can configure it with a gui, and install it with one click...?

Last edited by Yoav : 01-20-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
windracer
joined the 10k club

Thumbs up Running streambaby through Galleon

Ok, quick and dirty instructions for running streambaby though Galleon.

Note: on my Linux server (Ubuntu), Galleon is installed under /usr/share/galleon. Substitute your own path where necessary.
  1. extract streambaby under Galleon's hme folder (ex. /usr/share/galleon/hme/streambaby)
  2. add the following line to your streambaby.ini file:
    • streambaby.dir=/usr/share/galleon/hme/streambaby
  3. add the following line to launcher.txt in the hme directory:
    • com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.StreamBabyStream
  4. add the following line to wrapper.conf in the conf directory (be sure to use the next sequential classpath number (5 in my example below)):
    • wrapper.java.classpath.5=/usr/share/galleon/hme/streambaby/jbin/*.jar
Now start up Galleon! In log.txt you should see the app being published:

Code:
03:04:30,319  INFO [WrapperListener_start_runner] AppHost - MDNS: http://192.168.1.65:7288/streambaby/
And it should appear on the Music, Photos, & Showcases menu. Log events will be written to log.txt and wrapper.log.

Stream, baby, stream!

edit: just wanted to point out that in streambaby versions newer than v0.25 (when the MP4 splitting code changed) I ran into problems running it under Galleon. Using high bitrate streams would result in 0xffffff errors. As of November 2010, I no longer run streambaby under Galleon, but standalone, as the author intended. YMMV, however, depending on how your videos are encoded.

|

Last edited by windracer : 04-07-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added note about high bitrate streaming in versions higher than 0.25
Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Hey, another potential issue. When I tried streaming some reasonably high quality h.264 mp4 and m4v files - which in tivostream would transfer at roughly 3x faster than needed to play in "real time" - they'd pause occasionally because the buffer couldn't load faster than the stream would be playing. I'm wondering if streambaby is (unnecessarily) transcoding this back to mpeg2 or something similar? Any way to tell?

The reason I'm asking about transcoding is this is exactly the behavior I see when I use pyTivo to transfer one of these files - and pyTivo is of course converting the file to mpeg2 on the fly.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
fred2

I am not an expert at these things. But I don't believe it is working for me. Is this a standalone application or does it need Galleon or pytivo? I extracted the zip to c:\program files\tivostreambaby. Then clicked on the bat file. Something happened quickly (ffmeg install???). Clicked on the bat again but nothing.

It did not leave a window open. Win Vista Home Premium. Since I was at a dos prompt to use 'streambaby --help" I just ran the bat file and got the following message(s):

"c:\PROGRA~1\TIVOST~1>streambaby
Initializing...
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpServer$PortInterface.<init >(HttpSer
ver.java:204)
at com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpServer$Port.<init>(HttpSer ver.java:
169)
at com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.ja va:79)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.host.Listener.<init>(Liste ner.java:
102)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.host.Main.<init>(Main.java :133)
at com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby.StreamBabyMain.main(Stream BabyMain.
java:140)
error: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
usage: Main [--port <port>] [--ip <ip>] class
"

Any assistance appreciated.
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post
I am not an expert at these things. But I don't believe it is working for me.
It looks like you're already running something that is using that address/port combination. Check to make sure you have no other streamer running?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
Yoav

More on 1.5:
So, I looked into compiling it under 1.5
I am getting a CRAPLOT of errors because there are methods specified with the @Override tag, but which are not actually overriding anything. If I manually remove the @Override, then it compiles, but I don't know what effect that will have on the 1.6 builds (do you HAVE to tell it you are overriding? or can it intelligently realize that and move along?)

example:
Code:
    [javac] /Users/yoav/Desktop/streambaby-0.17/main/src/com/unwiredappeal/tivo/streambaby/tests/SimpleTest.java:5: method does not override a method from its superclass
    [javac] 	@Override
    [javac]          ^
    [javac] /Users/yoav/Desktop/streambaby-0.17/main/src/com/unwiredappeal/tivo/utils/Log.java:108: method does not override a method from its superclass
    [javac] 		@Override
    [javac]                  ^

Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
kearygriffin

fred2-- The issue you are having looks like you streambaby is trying to use the same HME port as another application.
To change the port streambaby uses, edit the streambaby.ini file and the change the line
port=7288
to use another port. So port=7289 for instance.

JDK1.5: I've made the changes necessary on my end to work with JDK1.5, and will upload a new version probably tomorrow night.
The problem with the @Overrides is 1.6 allows a @Override (and in fact eclipse automatically generates them) for interfaces, where 1.5 only allows them for classes.
I've also made a couple of other changes that may help Mac users who may not have ffmpeg installed. (So at least it will stream mp4/mpeg files without the preview mode)

westside_guy:
The easiest way to see if it transcoding is to turn off transcoding by editing the streambaby.ini file and adding the line
transcode.disable=true
and restart streambaby. This should disable all transcoding (so if it doesn't think it can stream the file, you will get an error instead of it getting trasncoding)

If transcoding doesn't seem to be the reason for the speed issue, I'd be curious to see what happens if you add the following line to streambaby.ini
mp4module.interleave=false
and restart streambaby. This may (probably will?) cause issues with random-positioning inside of MP4 files, but if it fixes the speed issue, it lets me know where to look to fix it.
(So when you use this option, make sure you select "Play from beginning", because seeking to where you left off may not work)

Thanks for the feedback, and hopefully we can get most of the issues sorted out.

Keary

Last edited by kearygriffin : 01-20-2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: minor edit
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
westside_guy:
The easiest way to see if it transcoding is to turn off transcoding by editing the streambaby.ini file and adding the line
transcode.disable=true
and restart streambaby. This should disable all transcoding (so if it doesn't think it can stream the file, you will get an error instead of it getting trasncoding)
Yup, streambaby is transcoding the files. When I disable transcoding per your instruction, streambaby reports "incompatible video stream" when I try to play one of my h.264/ac3 files (encoded with handbrake). FWIW I see the same error whether I use an .m4v extension or an .mp4 extension.

I turned off streambaby, and started tivostream to double-check - these files stream to the tivo and play just fine.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 AM   #16
Yoav

Ok, hoping to make your life easier, so attaching two files

The first file is a patch that will fix everything EXCEPT the @Override to be compatible with 1.5 (there were a few uses of String.isEmpty, and ermm.. pop, and some other 1.6 stuff that can easily be replaced with 1.5 stuff...)

The second is a full diff that has all the Overrides removed, as well as the changes in the first diff. I don't know if using it keeps the code 1.6 compatible though.... So try it in a trashable location
Attached Files
File Type: txt 1-5.diff.txt (7.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: txt full-diff.txt (58.6 KB, 17 views)

Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #17
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
Yup, streambaby is transcoding the files. When I disable transcoding per your instruction, streambaby reports "incompatible video stream" when I try to play one of my h.264/ac3 files (encoded with handbrake). FWIW I see the same error whether I use an .m4v extension or an .mp4 extension.

I turned off streambaby, and started tivostream to double-check - these files stream to the tivo and play just fine.
That's odd. In my test area I have a few h.264/ac3 files with .mp4 extension that play fine through streambaby with transcode disabled. These were generated with ffmpeg though, not handbrake. I'll have to generate a short clip with handbrake to try out with streambaby. Could be that handbrake encoding is identifying streams a little differently than expected in streambaby though I can't explain why when transcode is disabled that it's still failing in streambaby but working in tivostream... Hopefully it's a simple mime header related issue.

EDIT: Just generated a quick handbrake encoding with H.264 & AC3 and then ran it through qt-faststart and I was able to stream both with tivostream & streambaby (with transcoding disabled). Here's the mediainfo dump of the encoding:
(P.S. ffmpeg encoding of the same is much better/smoother compared to Handbrake and I can preserve full 6 channel AC3 audio)
Code:
General
Complete name                    : C:\home\dvd\lost_qt.mp4
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                         : mp42
File size                        : 8.36 MiB
Duration                         : 29s 996ms
Overall bit rate                 : 2339 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-01-21 06:00:18
Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-01-21 06:03:30
Writing application              : HandBrake 0.9.3 2008112300

Video
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : Main@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Duration                         : 29s 996ms
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 1946 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 2000 Kbps
Width                            : 1276 pixels
Height                           : 716 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16/9
Frame rate mode                  : Variable
Frame rate                       : 59.875 fps
Minimum frame rate               : 29.963 fps
Maximum frame rate               : 60.000 fps
Original frame rate              : 59.940 fps
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.036
Stream size                      : 6.96 MiB (83%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 65
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x1:0x131 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=600 / keyint_min=60 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=abr / bitrate=2000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-01-21 06:03:30

Audio
Format                           : ac-3
Codec ID                         : ac-3
Duration                         : 29s 984ms
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 1.37 MiB (16%)
Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-01-21 06:03:24

Last edited by moyekj : 01-21-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #18
fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
It looks like you're already running something that is using that address/port combination. Check to make sure you have no other streamer running?
Ah, like pyTivo????

Can I run them both or can I reasonably change the PORT address??

I can stop the pytivo service I guess to give this one a go....

Ah, more answers came. I will give this shot in the A.M.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #19
kearygriffin

Quote:
Yup, streambaby is transcoding the files. When I disable transcoding per your instruction, streambaby reports "incompatible video stream" when I try to play one of my h.264/ac3 files (encoded with handbrake). FWIW I see the same error whether I use an .m4v extension or an .mp4 extension..
It sounds like maybe streambaby is not parsing the correct video information from ffmpeg, so thinks it needs to transcode it. This is a Mac correct? It's possible the output of the mac version of ffmpeg is slightly different than I expect. If you could do the following it should shed some more light.

Edit simplelog.properties and change the first line to read:
com.unwiredappeal=debug

Then restart streambaby, browse to one of the mp4's that is giving you problems and try to play it. (Assuming you have transcode still turned off, it should give an error. that's OK). If you then quit streambaby and look in the streambaby.log file you should find a section that looks something like this:
01/21/09 24:29:24 FFmpegExeVideoModule: VideoInfo:
uri: file:/home/keary/videos/myfile.mp4, Container: mp4, Duration: 6136.13 seconds
Video: h264 848x352 23.976023976023978 fps
PixAspect: 1.0, Aspect: 2.409091
Audio: aac 48000HZ 2 channels

If you could let me know what the VideoInfo it is spitting out that would be great. If you could also let me know what
ffmpeg -i myfile.mp4
spits out, that would probably help also.

Here is a possible workaround for the time being, assuming streambaby is at least seeing that it is an MP4 (but maybe cant figure out the codecs...). Add the following line to streambaby.ini:
mp4mod.streamformats=mp4,*,*

This tells streambaby to attempt to stream all MP4 files, regardless of the audio/video codecs.

Thanks
Keary
Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #20
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
If it can be made to work under 1.5, would you mind it I include it as a streamer option for pyTivoX (thereby rendering the program name misleading -- oh well). That way people can configure it with a gui, and install it with one click...?
Sure, that sounds great! It may make sense to hold off for a version or two, especially since today is the first time it is ever being run a Mac. I'm sure there are going to issues to take care of.

I'm also guessing that streambaby is not going to load (even if they are available) the native ffmpeg libraries (as opposed to running the ffmpeg executable) on the Mac. This means streambaby will not be able to do real-time previewing. It will need to generate cache thumbnail files for the videos instead. (So when ffwding through a video you will not see thumbnails overlaid on the screen representing the position in the video, you will just see a time, until it finishes generating the cached thumbnail file)

Do you know if the avcodec, avformat, avutil, and swscale libraries for ffmpeg are installed with ffmpeg on the mac? And if so, what are their names?

Thanks also for the patches, much appreciated!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #21
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Then restart streambaby, browse to one of the mp4's that is giving you problems and try to play it. (Assuming you have transcode still turned off, it should give an error. that's OK). If you then quit streambaby and look in the streambaby.log file you should find a section that looks something like this:
01/21/09 24:29:24 FFmpegExeVideoModule: VideoInfo:
uri: file:/home/keary/videos/myfile.mp4, Container: mp4, Duration: 6136.13 seconds
Video: h264 848x352 23.976023976023978 fps
PixAspect: 1.0, Aspect: 2.409091
Audio: aac 48000HZ 2 channels

If you could let me know what the VideoInfo it is spitting out that would be great.
Here's what I get from streambaby.log:

01/20/09 22:51:39 FFmpegExeVideoModule: FFmpegCmd: /sw/bin/ffmpeg -i /Volumes/foo/bar/2-4 Stasis Leak.m4v
01/20/09 22:51:39 FFmpegExeVideoModule: VideoInfo:
uri: file:/Volumes/foo/bar/2-4%20Stasis%20Leak.m4v, Container: mp4, Duration: 1794.9 seconds
Video: h264 624x480 0.0 fps
PixAspect: 1.0, Aspect: 1.3
Audio: UNK 48000HZ 2 channels

It is probably worth mentioning that I ran handbrake with h.264/ac3 passthrough and "web optimized" checked - the latter lets me stream via tivostream without having to run qt-quickstart. I started doing that because qt-quickstart showed a predilection for corrupting some of my video files.

Quote:
If you could let me know what the VideoInfo it is spitting out that would be great. If you could also let me know what
ffmpeg -i myfile.mp4
spits out, that would probably help also.
$ /sw/bin/ffmpeg -i 2-4\ Stasis\ Leak.m4v
FFmpeg version UNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
configuration: --prefix=/sw --mandir=/sw/share/man --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler --enable-pthreads --enable-x11grab --enable-liba52 --enable-libamr-nb --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --disable-mmx --disable-iwmmxt --disable-altivec
libavutil version: 49.6.0
libavcodec version: 51.49.0
libavformat version: 52.2.0
built on Nov 16 2008 19:26:44, gcc: 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 48000.00 (48000/1) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '2-4 Stasis Leak.m4v':
Duration: 00:29:54.9, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2696 kb/s
Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 624x480 [PAR 0:1 DAR 0:1], 29.97 tb(r)
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: liba52, 48000 Hz, stereo
Stream #0.2(eng): Data: text / 0x74786574
Must supply at least one output file
$
Old 01-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #22
kearygriffin

Quote:
$ /sw/bin/ffmpeg -i 2-4\ Stasis\ Leak.m4v
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '2-4 Stasis Leak.m4v':
Duration: 00:29:54.9, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2696 kb/s
Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 624x480 [PAR 0:1 DAR 0:1], 29.97 tb(r)
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: liba52, 48000 Hz, stereo
Stream #0.2(eng): Data: text / 0x74786574
Must supply at least one output file
$
Thanks westside_guy, that does the trick-- I don't currently recognize liba52 as a synonym for ac3. I'll make the change and upload a new version with the rest of the fixes from this thread tomorrow night.

And the workaround mentioned in my previous post (actually we can make it a little more specific):
mp4mod.streamformats=mp4,h264,*

Should work fine in this case-- The only side effect would be if you happen to have an mp4 with h264 video and something other than aac/ac3 audio streambaby will try to stream it to the tivo (instead of transcoding it, which it should)
Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #23
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Thanks much, Keary, but... GET SOME SLEEP!!

This is very cool, and I look forward to seeing your updates - just don't burn yourself out.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #24
Yoav

Quote:

Do you know if the avcodec, avformat, avutil, and swscale libraries for ffmpeg are installed with ffmpeg on the mac? And if so, what are their names?
They are not installed on a mac. In fact, ffmpeg doesn't come with a mac (which is why I created the pyTivoX package.. so people wouldn't have to deal with that kind of stuff) -- there's a static ffmpeg in there.

I can compile the shared libs seperately and put them in the distribution if that will make things 'act nicer'... I'm actually toying with a local build of pyTivoX that now uses both methods (pytivo and streambaby). So far so good.. and there's a gui for adding directories.. I'll probably put it up as a beta once it flows a bit better.. and will update the streambaby in there when you have updates...

Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #25
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
I know this was a question for Yoav; but I can tell you their location is going to depend on the method used for installation. People who installed ffmpeg via fink (like I did) will have those libraries in /sw/lib - in fink's case they're currently called:

/sw/lib/libavcodec.51.49.0.dylib
/sw/lib/libavformat.52.2.0.dylib
/sw/lib/libavutil.49.6.0.dylib
/sw/lib/libswscale.0.5.0.dylib

Other folks may have installed via MacPorts, which I believe puts things somewhere under /opt.

And of course if one builds it oneself (blech) it's probably under /usr/local.

Yoav's pyTivoX pre-packages ffmpeg, so he controls where everything ends up in that case...

addendum: I see Yoav answered while I was typing!
Old 01-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #26
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Missing the up/down arrows on the right side of the window that indicate when there's more of the list above or below the current page. (As I look at it now, tivostream doesn't have these either. Both apps should, though.)

I also can't get it to actually play anything -- .mpg and .vob files just sit on a grey screen, everything else (including .mp4) says "Incompatible video stream". No error messages on the console or in the log, except "StreamBabyStream[#1,uri=null] warning: resource 2057 not found.", which appears (twice) on opening the app. This is in Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64, working ffmpeg in /usr/bin/, working tivostream. I tried the OpenJDK first, then Sun Java 6, with no change.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 01-21-2009 at 04:04 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #27
fred2

First the thanks - changing the port number allowed it to run.

But, I see NOTHING on my Tivo showing it running.

The log is simple:

"01/20/09 21:57:35 Listener: added factory
01/20/09 21:57:35 Main: streambaby ready & listening."

And another question. Probably based on linux origins but should directory/folders be specified with the slash or backslash?

i.e.

#dir.1=D:\Videos
#dir.1.name=Streambaby videos
#dir.2=D:/Videos
#dir.2.name=Stream External Drive

Oh. looking at my INI file I see I have left the comment in for ip address:

# Ip address to bind to
#ip=192.168.1.37

I gather I need to change that to something meaningful (g)

Oh, wait, I guess my DIR statements are also still COMMENTS with the # sign!!!! (yikes, I should know, at least, a little better than that!)

Thanks for any additional assistance.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #28
moyekj

Quote:
And another question. Probably based on linux origins but should directory/folders be specified with the slash or backslash?
On Windows you can use either way, and as you realized you have to take the leading # comment character away from any setting you want to apply.

Question: After you start streambaby then on your Tivo you are looking under Music, Photos & Showcases for the application right?

To get more debugging info edit simplelog.properties and comment out com.unwiredappeal=Warn and add this one below it:
com.unwiredappeal=Verbose
(Once you are done debugging set it back to Warn)
That generates a lot more messages that are also saved in streambaby.log for each session.

Then when you restart streambaby you should see information about which IP was used and also which port.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #29
fred2

Actually, NO, I was wrongly looking in the "Now playing list" as I do for pytivo folders. I guess the hme stuff is different.

So I did find Stream, Baby, Stream in Music, Photos. But when I selected an item I got a Please Wait over a gray screen. I will check my firewall and see what's what.

But thanks for the help. Maybe my questions will help others less experienced in this stuff.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #30
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
But when I selected an item I got a Please Wait over a gray screen.
In my experience last night, you get the gray screen/please wait while streambaby is filling up the initial buffer. Then it switches to black for a bit, and then the video starts playing.

It would be cool if we could get an HME app like streambaby to appear in the Now Playing List. It makes more sense, logically, to have it there. I think that's a limitation of HME vs HMO though.

|