TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
jamesweber

TiVo search is way to slow

I know it's beta but if this new search is gonna be this slow, TiVo your wasting your time... You can put it in the same grave as that dead app swivel search.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
SkeeterTV

Yeah, I like it, but it needs to be a little snappier. The lag is a noticeable enough to be... bothersome.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
urwathrtz
Death Metal Dad

I love it, as far as the speed is concerned...it's a beta. One weird thing was I looked up Saturday Night Live and it said that there were no up coming shows.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
WeBoat

I put in Football on Sunday and it didn't find the games.... I thought that was a little strange.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

I tried it out with a search for Ron Howard. While entering the search term, it was slow, but not a lot slower than other TiVo searches. But when I selected one of the results, it slowed down even more. It's been several minutes at this point -- I don't know if the search locked up my Series 3 or if it's just taking its time. At this point, I don't consider TiVo Search to be usable, even understanding that it's just a Beta release.

--Debbie
Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Lorcane

I too have serious speed issues, and I'm running with Roadrunner Turbo so bandwidth should not be and issue.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
ScratchFury

Has there ever been a good explanation as to why the Tivo apps are so painfully slow?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchFury View Post
Has there ever been a good explanation as to why the Tivo apps are so painfully slow?
  1. Network latency
  2. Server load
  3. Server efficiency

Old 01-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
xboard07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchFury View Post
The Tivo hardware could be better. I don't think it is adequate to handle some of these applications properly.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
jimerb

Yes way too slow

It took 10 minutes for the app to load.

Come on guys. Stuff like that shouldn't get past Alpha.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 AM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I just used the beta search earlier today to create an actor wishlist.
IMO, it wasn't that much slower than using the swivel search.
It took a few seconds to load, but once I was in, seemed OK to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:40 AM   #12
ciper

Uggh. I finally wanted to show my girlfriend this feature and what do you know it wouldn't load. I pressed "TiVo Guy" and then navigated to PizzaHut and it worked. A minute later I tried the new search again and it wouldn't load. I waited for over a minute at the "please wait" screen.

Thanks for making me look like a goof TiVo LOL
Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcane View Post
I too have serious speed issues, and I'm running with Roadrunner Turbo so bandwidth should not be and issue.
I hate hughes net satellite internet which can add extra latency to tivo hme apps, but this is ridicules. I'm blaming my internet service and possible snow today rather then tivo.

But I went to load the new search and I got the "Please wait" icon. And 3 minutes later I'm still staring at the "Please wait" icon. It ended up bouncing back to live tv before I got into the tivo search app! And it did the same thing the next time a tried.

Other hme apps are working today, just slow for me.

Edit.

Well, I didn't try it for 15 minutes, then went ahead and tried it again. And it went right in, I didn't even have to wait more then a second if that.

Last edited by LoREvanescence : 01-18-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Tommy Grundy

Loved the concept, but the response on my DSL connection was brutally slow. I found this to be the case on most TIVO applications. Too bad it's very nice concept
Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
ciper

The slow speed of TiVo search is not because of the connection at the users end. My connection is low latency and has a peak of around 35mbps down and 2.5mbps up.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #16
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

I have yet to see slowness worth complaining about. I am seeing 2-3 seconds load time for the beta. Could be quicker, but not horrendously slow.

Are some people trying to use this with dial-up? I connect via cable with Comcast.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
ciper

The extra features (search, youtube, netfix etc) do not work with dial up, unless they have some hack in place so share a dial up connection with the TiVo which would make no sense.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
TiVoDataGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urwathrtz View Post
I love it, as far as the speed is concerned...it's a beta. One weird thing was I looked up Saturday Night Live and it said that there were no up coming shows.
Hi! I just wanted to let you all know that we figured out what the issue with SNL was and have fixed it. We have a lot of data in our system that comes from various partners. We merge all that data together to make it feel like one set of data for the users, but sometimes the merging has errors, as was the case with SNL. The data is easy to fix, but it's not always easy to find the problems. So, when you find other case like this while using TiVo Search, please let us know by posting to this forum or sending email to searchfeedback@tivo.com. We'll look into them and make the necessary corrections.

Thanks,
TiVoDataGuy
Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #19
urwathrtz
Death Metal Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoDataGuy View Post
Hi! I just wanted to let you all know that we figured out what the issue with SNL was and have fixed it. We have a lot of data in our system that comes from various partners. We merge all that data together to make it feel like one set of data for the users, but sometimes the merging has errors, as was the case with SNL. The data is easy to fix, but it's not always easy to find the problems. So, when you find other case like this while using TiVo Search, please let us know by posting to this forum or sending email to searchfeedback@tivo.com. We'll look into them and make the necessary corrections.

Thanks,
TiVoDataGuy
You rule. Thanks. BTW the new TiVo search still kicks ass.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #20
Mindflux
TiVowned

The search has been considerably faster for me the last week. I like the fact the search will select HD channels above SD channels too. very nice touch.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
kurtgluck

Slower than slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesweber View Post
I know it's beta but if this new search is gonna be this slow, TiVo your wasting your time... You can put it in the same grave as that dead app swivel search.
It was so slow, that I could have gotten up out of my chair, walked across the room, and booted my windows PC

That was when it worked, then I tried to search for "gracie allen" it just said searching for a long time, then switched back to live tv.

In general, you should stop searching before I finish typing (put in a SEARCH key, like on the web) - your series 3 does not have the cpu power to do it otherwise - I cant use youtube on the tivo for the same reason - TOO TOO slow.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #22
Phrazemaster

The new search feature is unuseable for me as well. I have a series 3, fast internet, but it hangs for a minute or two to even get into the search; then it takes 60 - 90 seconds PER button push, and by that time it jumbles together 6-7 differrent button pushes and does crazy things. I can't wait that long just to even begin using it...I hope they fix it.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #23
nrc
Cracker Soul

It's been working pretty well for me lately. But tonight I gave up waiting for it to go into the Beta Search after several minutes. New load from the TiVo Central message? I also got a "Service temporarily unavailable" message trying to go into "On Demand".

Not entirely square
Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #24
Eleanor

Great concept, but too slow. I don't have the patience to wait.