TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
sriggins

Speed, ads, etc

First off, thanks for trying to make search better! The definition of better for me means that I have to do less work in less time to find what I was looking for.

Regarding this beta release, it is not better

The software takes 30-40 seconds to launch. Then it finally shows a Dominos Pizza ad at the top. In the gizmodo shots I saw, it looks like it will have links up there to other shows. What drives these links? Are they paid sponsorship as well or based on suggestions?

When it finally gets running, the cursor movement speed is ok until I cursor right into the show list. Then cursoring up or down through the list becomes too slow, presumably while it goes out to the net and loads the artwork and other information.

These new bells and whistles are nice, but I'd gladly throw the new ad-laden menu system away for what I had in a S1. It always responded to my key presses.

The HD text is pretty, but please don't use the excuse of going to HD to justify giving yourselves more space to pump ads onto our TiVo.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriggins View Post
The software takes 30-40 seconds to launch. Then it finally shows a Dominos Pizza ad at the top. In the gizmodo shots I saw, it looks like it will have links up there to other shows. What drives these links? Are they paid sponsorship as well or based on suggestions?
I have not seen any advertisements, although I expect them to throw them in on occasionn. When you select a show in the top banner, it should tell you why it is there.

Shows are displayed in the top banner because they are suggestions, popular in the TiVo community, and/or similar to the currently selected program. Do a search on a program and you should see a "If you like this..." menu; you should see most of those programs in the banner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriggins View Post
When it finally gets running, the cursor movement speed is ok until I cursor right into the show list. Then cursoring up or down through the list becomes too slow, presumably while it goes out to the net and loads the artwork and other information.
Performance varies depending on your connection's latency and the load of TiVo's servers. You're probably right that the images affect some users more than others. Not every TiVo customer has a 10Mbps connection with 30ms latency; many customers probably have have 384Kbps - 1.5Mbps connections with 100+ms latency to the TiVo servers. I know some rural TiVo customers use satellite Internet with 300-500ms latency.

That said, this functionality is beta for a reason.

Last edited by bkdtv : 01-17-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
xboard07

the whole thing is absurdly slow

I just spent a few minutes with it and I got frustrated at how slow it is