TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
nrc
Cracker Soul

First Impressions

Live now on my S3. And awesome. There's still some occasional slowness in the response to remote inputs but not enough to cause problems. I love the way they let you select among upcoming showings, rentals or purchase for a program. Love the episode guides and love the cast galleries.

Must have access to this from any program entry (guide, current program, now playing) as soon as it's out of Beta.

Kudos Tivo.

Not entirely square
Old 01-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
bkdtv

One thing I noticed is that the official beta release is a little different from the shots released by TiVo to the press:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5125062/tivo-se...future-of-tivo

The shots shown at that link probably give us an idea of the changes we can expect in the future.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
Enrique

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just played with it for a few second, but for me it's speed. It takes forever to set up a SP(or even move about the menus). Hopefully Tivo can work on that.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
modnar

I'm looking forward to playing with this.

Are there any shortcuts for entering letters - something like entering letters on a cell phone with just the 9 nbr keys?
Old 01-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
rdodolak

Thumbs up

The search beta is a nice improvement over the current capability. I do agree that the beta seems a little slow and have experienced some small delays or pauses this afternoon. However, I'll caulk this up to the increased demand on the TiVo servers this afternoon as last night around midnight pacific I didn't notice these small issues.

I'm looking forward to when this feature goes live and I can only hope TiVo brings HD menus to the rest of the applications.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I just tried Tivo Search out and it was more responsive than I thought it would be.
Especially since I just put in a new upgraded HD (currently on v9.4) also while transferring shows from my PC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
SugarBowl

Mine is very slow.. 3-5 sec delay every time i move the cursor.

I like that when i look up American Idol, i only see 1 entry, and not 10 entries for all the Fox channels i receive.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
jrm01

I found this while looking for something else in menus (before I saw the announcement here). I've tried it twice. Both times when I click on it I get the Please Wait screen for 4-5 minutes, then it switches to Live TV.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
modnar

When it was loading earlier, it was nice, but definitely too slow.

Right now I'm getting a "Scheduled Maintenance" screen.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
honus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
One thing I noticed is that the official beta release is a little different from the shots released by TiVo to the press:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5125062/tivo-se...future-of-tivo

The shots shown at that link probably give us an idea of the changes we can expect in the future.
I don't see any difference, other than mine says "BETA VERSION" on it.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #11
janry

I tried it last evening and gave up. Couldn't get anywhere. Maybe everyone was trying it during prime time.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:54 AM   #12
Unseen Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
I tried it last evening and gave up. Couldn't get anywhere. Maybe everyone was trying it during prime time.
Same issue. Tried to do a simple search for Lost and it was excruciatingly slow. I don't know if it's the Tivo waiting for results or if it's the UI that's bogged down. Either way, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Now with that said, it is a beta prodcut and I do like the new interface. Can't wait to see what else comes out of CES from Tivo!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
nrc
Cracker Soul

There was a "massive slowdown" problem yesterday evening that is now reportedly fixed.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=415573

Not entirely square
Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Tried it Thursday morning and speed was good.

From the top browser of shows/movies by graphic I found the show "Leverage" that I did not know about and saw I could set up Wishlists or one off or season pass by just playing around in the UI some.

What I saw lacking here though is that I would rather have scheduled the "leverage" season pass on my Series 2 DT box and would have liked an option for which DVR, similar to how online Scheduling works.

I could roll around by show names or actors within shows and the filter was there though not complete from my point of view.

overall a very favorable first impression
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
Ceciliachavez75
Tivo kitten

Not sure if its me or my tivo but, the new search feature is blurry and extremly hard to read. It looks wierd.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
turbobozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceciliachavez75 View Post
Not sure if its me or my tivo but, the new search feature is blurry and extremly hard to read. It looks wierd.
CRT TV or some other type?
S3 or HD or HD XL?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
bkdtv

Quote:
Are you using your TiVo on a high-definition TV? If so, what output format do you have set under Settings -> Video -> Output format?

Finally, what size is your TV and what is your viewing distance?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
modnar

Using it last night as much quicker! It was nice being able to setup Season Passes, read old episode descriptions, etc., all from one interface. Performance still has room for improvement, but it was much better.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #19
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Here's my setup. TiVoHD on wifi network using a TiVo brand wifi adapter. My network signal strength is between 47% - 50%. My ISP is Comcast Cable with very good speeds.

I've tried the new search several times now and I have to say that, for me, it is unusable. It is excruciatingly slow. It takes between 2:10 to 4:30 minutes to get to the point where I can input text. I am doing a search for "Smallville" right now. After selecting it from the search results it took 3 minutes 23 seconds before I could do anything else. I then select "Upcoming" and a few seconds later it selects the next episode. I click on it to get details, 1 minute 26 seconds later I can select "Options". Back to the previous screen takes another minute 25 seconds.

This feature is painfully slow. The same can be said for Youtube as well as TiVo Search. Speed them up and I might be able to use them without going mad.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #20
Ceciliachavez75
Tivo kitten

Quote:
Are you using your TiVo on a high-definition TV? If so, what output format do you have set under Settings -> Video -> Output format?

Finally, what size is your TV and what is your viewing distance?
I have a 27" tv, not flat screen. I have a hd tivo but my tv is not hd.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #21
bkdtv

Quote:
I have a 27" tv, not flat screen. I have a hd tivo but my tv is not hd.
That explains it.

At this time (and perhaps for the future), TiVo Search is meant for HD displays.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #22
Ceciliachavez75
Tivo kitten

Also, its the only thing on my menu that looks this way, just blurry, realy small font and wierd looking,. Hope it wil change when it because a normal item to use.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #23
Ceciliachavez75
Tivo kitten

Quote:
That explains it.

At this time (and perhaps for the future), TiVo Search is meant for HD displays.
Ahh tanks for the info! I guess i better get the bf to throw in an HD flatscreen
Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #24
DAccardi
Tivo Special Member

Just a glossy search engine nothing more

Its nothing special IMO. Just has some nice pictures of TV shows and actors. It's kinda like an Apple product. Glossy and shiny but really nothing to offer. IMO, here is what would make this unqiue and special and not just glossy.

1. I should be able to study any tv show or film ever made, period.

2. Integrate Netflix, CinemaNow, Youtube, all seamlessly.

3. If the show/film is not coming on, tell me last time it was.

4. Integrate TiVo Desktop with the search to see if what you are looking for is perhaps stored on your PC.

Do these 4 things and you will have my approval.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #25
DAccardi
Tivo Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
Here's my setup. TiVoHD on wifi network using a TiVo brand wifi adapter. My network signal strength is between 47% - 50%. My ISP is Comcast Cable with very good speeds.

I've tried the new search several times now and I have to say that, for me, it is unusable. It is excruciatingly slow. It takes between 2:10 to 4:30 minutes to get to the point where I can input text. I am doing a search for "Smallville" right now. After selecting it from the search results it took 3 minutes 23 seconds before I could do anything else. I then select "Upcoming" and a few seconds later it selects the next episode. I click on it to get details, 1 minute 26 seconds later I can select "Options". Back to the previous screen takes another minute 25 seconds.

This feature is painfully slow. The same can be said for Youtube as well as TiVo Search. Speed them up and I might be able to use them without going mad.
Try amplifying the wifi signal or going hardwired. One thing I must say is the new search is quite fast for me. My wifi signal is always 88% to 100%
Old 01-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #26
MichaelK

my first impression-

looks good. I like the functionality too.

2 quick thoughts-

1) I'd like a setting for font size- REALLY QUICK look through here seems some others have issues with fonts too- so maybe they could make it a setting for small, medium, large? I have a nice big 50 inch in the living room and sit a reasonable distant so love the current font there. But in my bedroom, we are farther away and it's only a 37 due to space contraints- so I'd like to be able to kick it up a notch.

2)- I'm not "feeling" the point of the pretty pictures up top. It's not clear how they are related to me. And how they act in the whole UI isn't exactly as simple as the general Tivo UI. I dont mind them being there, and actually like the eye candy even if i dont get why they pick what's up there. But maybe a hard line or something needs to be drawn so it's clear when that's being manipulated and when the text part is in play. I only played a quick bit som maybe this is more obvious over time- not sure tivo would like that though.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #27
shellqc

Amplify Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAccardi View Post
Try amplifying the wifi signal or going hardwired. One thing I must say is the new search is quite fast for me. My wifi signal is always 88% to 100%
What do you mean amplify the wifi signal? How do you do that?