TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #331
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Jeepguy's remote appears to use the teleport feature for all channel changing, which means that the numbers don't work for anything else.

My remote just passes through the numbers as keystrokes, so they'll work everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #332
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

What IRCODE are you sending to the TiVo for each number?

I've also been thinking about starting a new IR code based project, but I'd like some input.

I want to take a Rabbit microcontroller and connect it to the IR Port on my Slingbox. Then when I use the remote in the SlingPlayer software, my Slingbox will send the IR signal to the Rabbit and the Rabbit will send IRCodes over my network. This way I don't have to have an ugly IRBlaster hanging out for my Slingbox.

I think the hardest thing will be figuring out how to decode the IR signals coming from the Slingbox. Does anyone have any ideas as to the best way to capture the IRsignals coming from the 2.5mm jack on the Slingbox?
TiVo Mini

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jeepguy_1980 : 01-14-2009 at 10:36 AM.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #333
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
What IRCODE are you sending to the TiVo for each number?
NUM0 through NUM9, of course.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #334
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Thanks, My remote has been updated to use a keystroke method for inputting numbers.
TiVo Mini

Old 01-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #335
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
Thanks, My remote has been updated to use a keystroke method for inputting numbers.
Is this the Java version? The file in your sig does not have the .jar that i was looking for.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #336
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Is this the Java version? The file in your sig does not have the .jar that i was looking for.
Which .jar are you looking for? It links to my post with the latest version.
TiVo Mini

Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #337
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Looking for the file with the single .jar file (with the lib folder), not the one in your sig because I found it contains all sorts of files, .class etc., which I don't know which to use. I have the last .jar file on my desktop which I can just open to use the Netmote.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #338
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Looking for the file with the single .jar file (with the lib folder), not the one in your sig because I found it contains all sorts of files, .class etc., which I don't know which to use. I have the last .jar file on my desktop which I can just open to use the Netmote.
The one in my sig is a single .jar file. You just run it.
TiVo Mini

Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #339
dougt

for what its worth, i posted a IPhone / IPod Touch Tivo Remote application and it was approved by Apple. Search for "Tivo Remote" in iTunes.

or check out www dot meer dot net /users/dougt/tivo_remote
dougt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #340
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
for what its worth, i posted a IPhone / IPod Touch Tivo Remote application and it was approved by Apple. Search for "Tivo Remote" in iTunes.

that's totally awesome and much appreciated. been using the jailbreak app for awhile now: http://code.google.com/p/tivoremote/

just bought yours.

any chance you can update the UI to have matching remote graphics? It certainly could be prettier.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #341
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:

Heh, I recognized your username from your moz-related stuff. Good work, I also already purchased a copy (even though I have my own home-baked php-served iphone tivo remote script )

Suggestions/thoughts for future revisions: Macros (ie. select-play-select codes), a link to launch m.tivo.com, and displaying the NPL on the phone (via the NPL xml).

I was going to suggest removing the hyphen on "Search for TiVo's", but here's what TiVo itself has to say about pluralization :
http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/resour...trademark.html
Quote:
3. Trademarks are singular.
Because a trademark is an adjective, it should never be used in the plural form. Instead, when necessary, the generic noun can be used as a plural.

Example:
Correct: I want two TiVo® DVRs.
Incorrect: I want two TiVos.

gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #342
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
I was going to suggest removing the hyphen on "Search for TiVo's"
That's an apostrophe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo
3. Trademarks are singular.
Because a trademark is an adjective, it should never be used in the plural form. Instead, when necessary, the generic noun can be used as a plural.

Example:
Correct: I want two TiVoŽ DVRs.
Incorrect: I want two TiVos
Whoever wrote that was on crack.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #343
dougt

@Fofer - no chance for remote graphics. Tivo does send back what channel you are watching or recording. However, i really couldn't figure out how to show that in the UI, or if it was really valuable. Thoughts here?

@gonzotek great ideas! I was thinking about a "record mode" where you could press what ever you wanted, and the remote app would just remember it, then it would allow you to save the entire sequence. like kbd macro in emacs, or something.

Fwiw, here are the bugs you guys suggested:
www dot meer dot net /users/dougt/tivo_remote/bugs

any suggestions/bugs, either email me or pm me. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #344
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
@Fofer - no chance for remote graphics. Tivo does send back what channel you are watching or recording. However, i really couldn't figure out how to show that in the UI, or if it was really valuable. Thoughts here?
@dougt, I didn't mean "remote graphics" in that sense. I meant, pretty up the UI of the remote control, so instead of "text bubbles" like you have:

...that it could look more like the actual TiVo remote buttons, like so:

(from the jailbreak app here.)

It would go a long way toward improving your app. I believe many of these graphic elements have been shared in this thread (and they are all included in the tivoRemote-0.23 package, available at the link above.)

Your app's icon could use some improvement too.

I do think, though (since you mentioned it) that showing what channel you are watching or recording would be really cool and potentially valuable. Why not just include that on the top of the screen, in a thin banner?

And I'll also agree that a link to launch m.tivo.com, as well as a way to display the Now Playing List, would make your app the ultimate TiVo remote.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #345
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hmmm... I think the regular text actually looks better overall. It has more to do with all the excess black space in the versions with the 3D-ish buttons.

Now if the remote could be made to look like the real thing like SlingBox uses, that'd be an improvement.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #346
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
That's an apostrophe.
My brain said apostrophe, but my fingers were on autopilot. That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote:
Whoever wrote that was on crack.
If you think that's bad there was a TCF discussion that came up when I searched for 'tivo plural', I think it may have been what prompted the official trademark pluralization guidelines :
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=371513
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #347
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Hmmm... I think the regular text actually looks better overall.
Well, I disagree. The current UI is ugly/bland. The jailbreak option looks much nicer to me and I find it easier to use, too. I like the excess black space, and how it matches the TiVo remote buttons.

That said, a toggle/preference that allows the user to select what they like (text vs. graphics) would be the best solution of all, IMHO.

Last edited by Fofer : 01-15-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #348
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
Hmmm... I think the regular text actually looks better overall. It has more to do with all the excess black space in the versions with the 3D-ish buttons.

Now if the remote could be made to look like the real thing like SlingBox uses, that'd be an improvement.
I've been wanting to do that, but I have no clue how to open up their .spr files. That's why I've decided that I'm going to use Sling's interface and setup a microcontroller to send all of the IR commands to my TiVo.
TiVo Mini

Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #349
dougt

jeepguy_1980, what do you mean?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #350
bfschroe

I see now that there is an iphone app that also allows searching using the iphone keyboard. This would imply that text entry is possible over the TCP protocol. Does anyone have any info on this?

thanks
Bruce
bfschroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #351
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfschroe View Post
I see now that there is an iphone app that also allows searching using the iphone keyboard. This would imply that text entry is possible over the TCP protocol. Does anyone have any info on this?

thanks
Bruce
Yeah, we're discussing it in this thread, in post just above yours, starting with post 339:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...84#post6995384

It doesn't imply that text entry (directly) is possible over the TCP protocol. That would be nice.

What this remote is doing is "queueing up" the directional commands so the cursor moves around and selects the characters for you. It's all made very clear in this demo video: http://www.meer.net/users/dougt/tivo...tivoremote.mov

The text entry demo starts a little bit after halfway into the video.

And I can attest... it works really really well!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #352
bfschroe

Now how did I miss that?
Sorry.

thanks
Bruce
bfschroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #353
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
any suggestions/bugs, either email me or pm me. Thanks.
Just emailed over, the iPhone remote is missing the "clear" key.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #354
jhimmel

Quote:
I agree - I prefer the first one as well.

Jim h.
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #355
dougt

fofer, i will add the clear button to the next version.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #356
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
jeepguy_1980, what do you mean?
I made an earlier post detailing this.

My plan is to take a microcontroller that I have lying around and connect it to the IR out port on my Slingbox using the 2.5mm jack. I already has a built in 802.11 antenna.

Whenever I tell Slingplayer to change the channel, it will send an IR signal, which my microcontroller will receive. The microcontroller will then convert that signal to an "IRCODE" and telnet the signal to my TiVo.

The only obstacle to this project, is going to be deciphering the signals from the 2.5mm jack.
TiVo Mini

Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #357
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Trying the iPhone app now. It can find the TiVos I have, but it continues to search fruitlessly for more TiVos -- and it can't connect to the TiVos it does find.

Am I going to have to read this entire thread to find out what needs to be done to the TiVos? Or do you have a Web site somewhere?
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #358
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Am I going to have to read this entire thread to find out what needs to be done to the TiVos?
Try #324.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #359
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Try #324.
That did the trick. Thanks!
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:14 AM   #360
liquid8

I'm putting together an app for this now. Great job everyone. I have a couple questions:

IRCODE NOWSHOWING or TELEPORT NOWPLAYING don't work at all for me. I am on Series3 with 11.0.01.2.648 if it makes a difference.

Also, what is DISPLAY? It seems to be the same as INFO.

Finally, was it found that you could keep a continuous connection somehow, or is it required to connect, send, disconnect? My app is pretty snappy doing that, but occasionally it hiccups, and hangs a bit.

Last edited by liquid8 : 01-20-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: one problem fixed
liquid8 is offline   Reply With Quote