TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #151
Buster

Also not fixed here. I managed to make a call w/o too much pain over the weekend, but have quickly returned to calls failing.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #152
mec1991
Cranky old coot

When I checked this evening it had locked up during the connecting stage and I had to pull the plug for a minute and plug it back in. I did not force a call as I am trying to see if it will still dial in by itself.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #153
HerbVB

This is what I've been encountering with a Series 1 since early December:
Automatic connections don't work at all.
Test Calls either work or show "Service Not Available"
"Make Daily Call Now" may result in:
Service Unavailable, OR It makes the connection, starts downloading, and fails with "Call Interrupted".
Successive CALL NOWs are cumulative! That is, if it gets to the downloading stage, the next time you call it picks up the download from where it left off. Eventually, it gets to the end and the update has worked.

This is a real PITA. I see here and on other forums that this is a problem at tivo that they don't acknowledge. I'll call tomorrow morning and see what kind of runaround I get.
HerbVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 AM   #154
shwru980r

Demand a refund of the monthly fee for every month this issue occurs.
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #155
zydehoo

Quote:
Amazingly this morning, 1 started working, got the full update, good 4 2wks! Have to wait until later to check the other w/more complicated setup...
Got 1 working, the other still won't connect...
zydehoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #156
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Demand a refund of the monthly fee for every month this issue occurs.
Is this happening for people paying the monthly fee as well???!! I thought it was just for Series 1 Lifetime subscribers.

Mine failed 6 times this morning (force-call) with "Service unavailable". Will try again when I get home from work. Grrr!!
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #157
BobCamp1

It's back......

After 4 successes, I got a service unavailable last night. I still don't have time to look at it.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #158
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranco View Post
Is this happening for people paying the monthly fee as well???!! I thought it was just for Series 1 Lifetime subscribers.
Why would it just be for us lifetime subscribers?

Are you hinting at something sinister I am missing?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #159
HerbVB

Thumbs up Report on call to Customer Support

Called, got real person on phone within one minute. Described problem - "No, we're not aware of anything like that". Gave me a case #, then told me to change the modem speed (entering a special dial prefix) and test it. I did that, the result was that it couldn't even dial properly.

Called them back and got a different person. The first one hadn't even recorded the symptoms, just entering the problem as a routine "can't connect". This tech (Chris), however, listened carefully, believed me that other people were having the same problem over the same time frame, took adequate time to record the problem properly, and promised to escalate it. Couldn't ask for more!

The first tech knew nothing about the 'suggestions' problem, but this one not only knew about it, he also said that they'd received a notice that it would be fixed 'soon'.

Since this morning, I've done a 'call now' twice. It worked with no problems both times. Maybe because there's so little new data to download - only a couple of hours worth of guide info.

Keep your collective fingers crossed!
HerbVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #160
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydehoo View Post
Got 1 working, the other still won't connect...
Which one worked, and is the only difference between your S1's is lifetime and monthly or is one TurboNet.
dlee0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #161
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranco View Post

Mine failed 6 times this morning (force-call) with "Service unavailable". Will try again when I get home from work. Grrr!!
I think you are going to find most of the failures will be the lifetime subscribers just because they are probably many times more S1 lifetimes than S1 monthlys. When an S1 Tivo has problems, Lifetime subscribers are much more likely to do everything they can to keep their lifetime subscription going, monthlys are more likely to just get a new Tivo when problems arise.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #162
dlee0708

How many of you all can never get past the connecting status (IOW never gets to Downloading). My mother says hers has always failed on Connecting on both Test Calls and Daily Calls and this is since 12/3/2008.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #163
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Back to the same crap...

Call interrupted message again. I realize Stephen is on vacation but surely someone in the company has seen this thread and could at least acknowledge the problem. This is extremely frustrating, to say the least.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #164
mec1991
Cranky old coot

New error message on my 4th forced call tonight

Failed getting account status.

Have not seen that one before. At least it got past the connecting stage...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #165
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Service unavailable

on calls 5 and 6 so far this evening.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #166
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Call # 7

is currently in the downloading stage. First time this evening it has made it this far.

But it just died with the call interrupted error.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #167
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Call # 8

Finally went through and downloaded like it is supposed to.

What a pain in the a**.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #168
dlee0708

I really think we need to get Tivo to understand there is a problem and at least identify the problem. I just set up a 3 way conference with my mother (her Tivo is having the problem) and called Tivo technical support. The support person was very helpful but he was not aware of the problem. We need to get this changed, they all need to be aware of this problem, especially those that are still using the internal modems that are having problems. It would be great if Level 2 support could setup Wireshark packet sniffer on their end and someone with an packet analyzer on the Tivo end see where the data failure occurs exactly (not sure if they would be willing to do this with a TurboNet user, but on a Internal modem issue I think they would).

For those that are able to connect but fails to download, I am wondering if you could call technical support and get them to see what their logs show (on the server end) during your disconnection, but I am not sure if they have logs at the server end (I would think they would, I know if I was responsible for the Server software, I would have a way of logging connection disconnection and log at what point it failed on both the server and client/Tivo end). Unfortunately for my mother it has not been able to connect at all (they indicate the last time it connected was December 5) so there are no logs to look at.

How many people are there here who are having this problem have called into Technical support and indicated there is a problem with Series 1 Tivos connecting and what was the conclusion. I was told to see if Sony would fix the modem and also try different phone settings even though it is turbonet which I am going to try and the ticket is going to Level 2 just so they are aware. I also told them that there are many Internal modems also having the same problem.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #169
KeithB

I logged a Service Call with Tivo many weeks ago, spoke with a helpful Level 1 tech, he escalated my call but I never received a callback from them. I PM'ed TivoPony mid-December and never heard back from him either. TivoJerry should return next week, sometime. I wonder if anyone at Tivo has any idea of how bad this appears to their S1 customers, especially when those customers are still paying monthly subscription fees?

HELLO TIVO? ARE YOU LISTENING?

WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SUBSCRIPTION DATA PROBLEM AFTER ALMOST FOUR WEEKS, INCLUDING SERVICE CALLS FROM MANY OF YOUR CUSTOMERS?
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #170
tubular031

Its not like they dont have logs of all the S1s that call in DAILY!!! and if they dont have that stuff in their log files, i question what tard wrote the system...

Tivo just dont care I guess. I am very close to calling dish and telling them to send me a HD DVR and selling my tivo boxes.
tubular031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #171
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Well, I called and spoke with a very nice, polite gentleman who was of no use whatsoever. According to him, no one else has reported this problem. He stuck to his script and only offered the usual suggestions like trying a different phone number, etc. I explained I had done all that and for him to check out this thread for proof of others with the same problem or to google the problem. He said he would escalate my call, but honestly I don't expect him too. You can always tell when you get that overly polite brush off...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #172
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

It's some form of digital re-processing between you and the Tivo mothership causing this stuff.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #173
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
It's some form of digital re-processing between you and the Tivo mothership causing this stuff.
It could be, but I would like Tivo to tell us why there is a problem even if its no their problem. Right now Tivo doesn't seem to know there is any problem.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #174
randymc

Has anyone who was having problems with TurboNet been able to get theirs to update? I haven't
randymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #175
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc View Post
Has anyone who was having problems with TurboNet been able to get theirs to update? I haven't
Tons of people having problems getting their Series 1 to update.

Some people have internal modems are having problems, some people with TurboNet are having problems.

Some people have internal modems are NOT having problems, some people with TurboNet are NOT having problems.

Right now when you call into Tivo Tech Support they have not heard of any problems. I think everyone needs to call into Tivo and tell their problems so they are aware there is an issue (even if you have an unsupported TurboNet, they still need to be aware).

Most seems to get a connection and during the download get Call Interrupted.

Some people with internal modems have changed dialin numbers and fixed the problem. Some people have been able to clear the logs with TivoWeb or telnet into the tivo and clear the logs. Some people just make Daily calls over and over and it finally gets thru, others (like my Moms) can't ever make a successful connection.

For most the problem the started happening on 12/2 or 12/3.

There are like 3 threads on here talking about this, this is the last one that is still getting activity.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #176
QBiN

I still haven't had a successful TurboNet completion since 12/2. However, the dial-up calls are working a small minority of the time... say 1 out of 10. This is barely enough to keep my guide data full, but I've already missed a couple of recordings due to day-to-day schedule changes.

I don't have enough data to draw a conclusion. However, based on my unscientific observations, the times when a call completed successfully have all been in the early morning (1am to 5am, central time). It would initially seem, like most of my calls outside of that time period have failed. I can't say with certainty that these observations constitute a hard,fast rule... just another data point.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
QBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #177
dlee0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBiN View Post
I still haven't had a successful TurboNet completion since 12/2. However, the dial-up calls are working a small minority of the time... say 1 out of 10. This is barely enough to keep my guide data full, but I've already missed a couple of recordings due to day-to-day schedule changes.

I don't have enough data to draw a conclusion. However, based on my unscientific observations, the times when a call completed successfully have all been in the early morning (1am to 5am, central time). It would initially seem, like most of my calls outside of that time period have failed. I can't say with certainty that these observations constitute a hard,fast rule... just another data point.
What was the conclusion by Tivo Support on your Dialup only being able to connect 1 out of 10 times.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #178
MiakioAmy
New Year. New Name.

I was watching this thread because I have two Series 1 boxes at home that I will start using this month. (We just moved back from 17 months in Tokyo.)

I haven't tested the Philips, but the Sony with the original modem connected over Vonage. It took a couple of tries to find a good number at first, but we got guide data! And it seems to have connected successfully daily for the past few days.

I doubt this helps anyone, but I can pull some info off the box tonight if anyone wants to compare settings.

"The future depends on what we do in the present." -- Mahatma Gandhi.
MiakioAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 AM   #179
ditch
Couch PoTiVo

Thumbs down

I have the same problem, Lifetime Service. Failed: Call Interrupted. I can't beileve that after all this time TiVo has made NO reponse what-so-ever.

If this is to continue they should at least make some sort of offer to trade up.

Sean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wii: 0008-7364-1331-4623

Last edited by ditch : 01-13-2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Failure indicator was wrong type.
ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #180
dbranco

ervdoggie posted in this thread on the same issue (see posting #33); seems to be getting at least SOMEwhere with TiVo Support:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...71#post6990171
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote